As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Kevin Durant's Achilles Memorial NBA 2019 Offseason Thread

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I think LAL above Houston is more than a little premature, but I can see plenty of ways for that to happen that are pretty well in the realm of possibility. If LeBron can make Mo fucking Williams an All Star, I think he can do a lot for that squad. There isn't much reason to doubt that Ingram will continue to develop, Lonzo is actually mad underrated (come at me), and there's enough upside among the rest of the other young players that I can't imagine all of them wind up being a miss.

I don't think it's all that controversial to predict LA above NO or Portland, though. OKC will continue to be volatile, I'd be very unsurprised to see that team continue to fail to live up to the level of talent it has.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So think about this with the Lakers

Where would Lebron’s best Cavs teams finish the regular season* in this WC? 4 or 5?

Are the 4 young dudes plus the comedy troupe of McGee/Beasley/Stephenson/Rondo as good as the Miami squad before Wade fell apart? Where would that Miami team finish the regular season in this WC? 3?

I have East Coast bias so I honestly don’t know. This could be Lebron’s best team and still be a 3 seed at best.

*- Playoff Lebron is completely different...

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    LeBron's best Cavs squad would be a 3 seed in the current WC, but it's far from unthinkable that they could get past Houston. Somehow people really overlook just how productive Kyrie and Kevin Love were for that team in the playoffs and finals.

I think peak Heatles would beat current Houston, too.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Playoffs yes but Lebron coasts like crazy in the regular season now

Wait, have to be clear

Playoff Lebron is so stupidly good that it makes mere MVP-caliber Regular Season Lebron look like he’s coasting

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Playoffs yes but Lebron coasts like crazy in the regular season now

Wait, have to be clear

Playoff Lebron is so stupidly good that it makes mere MVP-caliber Regular Season Lebron look like he’s coasting

The situation is a bit different, though. He's been coasting in the regular season because everyone (correctly) assumed the conference was theirs, and because he was everything to that team. The Lakers have far more playmakers than the Cavs did and tons of young guys that will be taking all the minutes they can get. Switching teams and conferences changes things considerably.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Kasyn wrote: »
    I think LAL above Houston is more than a little premature, but I can see plenty of ways for that to happen that are pretty well in the realm of possibility. If LeBron can make Mo fucking Williams an All Star, I think he can do a lot for that squad. There isn't much reason to doubt that Ingram will continue to develop, Lonzo is actually mad underrated (come at me), and there's enough upside among the rest of the other young players that I can't imagine all of them wind up being a miss.

I don't think it's all that controversial to predict LA above NO or Portland, though. OKC will continue to be volatile, I'd be very unsurprised to see that team continue to fail to live up to the level of talent it has.

Next year maybe, but given Lebron's tendencies to slow roll the regular season, and how hard it is to build a team from scratch (by which I mean all of the current Lakers playbook needs to be changed and relearned to accommodate Lebron), I just don't see it this year.

Realistically they are probably a borderline playoff team in the west this year, unless they really mesh and Ingram takes a big step forward.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Well the lakers are not winning any games yet, but Rondo definitely wins this fight:

No idea who the tweeter is, but that’s CP3 poking Rondo in the eye, and then Rondo punching him in the face. Followed by Ingram running over and throwing some wild punches. No way this is less than 2 or 3 games apiece.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    In more important news, the blazers bench looks phenomenal. Even with Sauce Castillo coming back to earth with a 3 point, 1 for 5 showing.

Turner finally looks like he knows what his job is, and is playing with honest to good shooters instead of streaky ones.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Rajon Rondo LOL

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Also: CP3 LOL

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I wish they'd throw the book at Chris Paul just to warn him, I've only started watching the last three/four years and seen multiple clips of dirty things he has done over that period.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    In more important news, the blazers bench looks phenomenal. Even with Sauce Castillo coming back to earth with a 3 point, 1 for 5 showing.

Turner finally looks like he knows what his job is, and is playing with honest to good shooters instead of streaky ones.

Plz also observe the Blazers bench here

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I wish they'd throw the book at Chris Paul just to warn him, I've only started watching the last three/four years and seen multiple clips of dirty things he has done over that period.

Eh. If someone spit in my face, I would’ve done a lot worse than Paul did. Assuming that actually happened, I don’t blame him at all.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I really appreciate benches following the play intently enough to be able to react in such a manner.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »

I really appreciate benches following the play intently enough to be able to react in such a manner.

Here enjoy some more

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Collins’ pretend you just died was legit. Doesn’t get better than that.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Here’s pretty conclusive evidence that Rondo did spit on Paul.

https://youtu.be/0MkRMvUitFg

That being the case, I don’t see how anyone can fault Paul for retaliating. You just don’t do that shit. I’m surprised Rondo didn’t get a longer suspension than he got.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    These suspensions are a joke.

Both Rondo and Ingram should get at least 10 games, if not 15. Paul should get nearly as much as whatever Rondo and Ingram get.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    suspended for nearly a fifth of the entire season?

really?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    balerbower wrote: »
    suspended for nearly a fifth of the entire season?

really?

Rondo literally spit on another player and then lied about it.

Ingram wasn't even involved in the fight and took it as an excuse to run across the entire court and punch someone.

So yes, I'm fine with someone getting suspended for more time than they would take just to rest an ankle tweak.

Edit: I would contrast this with any workplace situation where you spit on someone else. That is literally treated as assault, and people go to jail for it. Similarly, running 50 feet across a room to punch someone is unacceptable short of something like a life-threatening situation.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    This popped up in my feed this morning; my mouth hung open for a minute.

"Globetrotter-ish"

The, uh, the Warriors are good you say? :lol:

• Options
    Not seeing the awe factor there. Two players had bad passes that almost get fumbled away, green passes up two wide open 3’s cause he’s a bad shooter, and it ends with a fairly regular alley-oop.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Collins’ pretend you just died was legit. Doesn’t get better than that.

Especially because he starts it right around when the shot goes up, and is nearly done before he knows for sure it's good. He's already dead when the ball goes through the net.

A+++ would support teammates again

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    The Suns finally fired their GM, every Spur is hurt, and Butler still hasn't been traded. The Celtics looked awful in preseason. Fultz isn't afraid to shoot, but Simmons still is.

Playoff predictions:
    1 TOR
    2 PHI
    3 MIL
    4 BOS
    5 IND
    6 WAS
    7 MIA
    8 DET

Miami will of course climb if they get Butler.

1 GSW
    2 LAL
    3 HOU
    4 UTA
    5 OKC
    6 DEN
    7 LAC
    8 SAS

LAL above houston? Shit lakers above, utah/okc/NO/por? You been smoking something my friend. Lebron is good, but he ain't that good.

Also how did the clippers get on that list. Do they even have a single all-star left on that team?

And how are the celtics not the far and away #1 in the east. They took the cavs to 7 without two of their best players. They dominated philly (without two of their best players).

You have some bold predictions there.

I came back in here to gloat about the lakers being 1 game away from playoff elimination, but man, @deadonthestreet you made some pretty good predictions.

Bos is good but not nearly as good as their talent says the should be. Clippers are indeed a sneaky good team despite have no legit super stars or all-stars. Mia is some how still relevant despite not getting butler.

Only real misses were aforementioned lakers (who I will point out were still a borderline playoff team before lebron got hurt and they imploded), WAS and NO being terrible (although NO is probably a pass since they were most likely hurt the most from a disinterested davis demanding to be traded), and your criminal under estimation of the mighty blazers.

• Options
    McCullom injured and probably out for the year. And now Nurkic probably out for this year and next year. Why do I even watch sports. Fuck me.

Just hope Nurkic can play again some day. Seemed like a cool dude.

• Options
    Sucks about cousins going down. Hate to see injuries on any team.

But holy shit clippers! Where did that come from? How is that team so good?

• Options
    Bit worried about the blazers tonight. We played better than I thought on Sunday, but no way OKc shoots 15% from deep again.

• Options

That was an historic bed-shitting by GSW. They gave up 72 points in 19 minutes, I think? That’s literally not possible without many stupid turnovers and bad possessions.

• Options

That was an historic bed-shitting by GSW. They gave up 72 points in 19 minutes, I think? That’s literally not possible without many stupid turnovers and bad possessions.

Takes a bit of both. Even with tons of turnovers, if you aren't hitting absurd percentages you still don't get 72 points in a quarter and half.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    The Clippers are a team of very good, but not great players, that play very well together. With guys like Lou who on any given night can play like a super star. They aren't top heavy like the super teams, but don't have near the drop off once you move past the "stars".

That said, I think that win was a fluke, and they are still doomed in this series, but that win showed potential free agents just how close they are to being a contender. I can't wait to see if that pays off.

• Options

Takes a bit of both. Even with tons of turnovers, if you aren't hitting absurd percentages you still don't get 72 points in a quarter and half.

I’m agreeing both because you’re right and because of the Maynard av

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Leeks wrote: »
    The Clippers are a team of very good, but not great players, that play very well together. With guys like Lou who on any given night can play like a super star. They aren't top heavy like the super teams, but don't have near the drop off once you move past the "stars".

That said, I think that win was a fluke, and they are still doomed in this series, but that win showed potential free agents just how close they are to being a contender. I can't wait to see if that pays off.

Do the clippers have a good bench? I've watched like 0 clippers games this year. I would think having a good bench matters less in the playoffs when teams start playing their stars closer to 40+ minutes, instead of 33-36.

Jebus314 on
  • Options
    I think Lou Williams is their 6th man?

• Options
    Leeks wrote: »

Do the clippers have a good bench? I've watched like 0 clippers games this year. I would think having a good bench matters less in the playoffs when teams start playing their stars closer to 40+ minutes, instead of 33-36.

Highest scoring bench in the NBA this year.

• Options
    Lillard is unstoppable tonight, but I still don’t feel confident.

• Options
    Also feels weird to say, but Portland definitely getting the calls tonight.

• Options
    Feeling more comfortable now.

• Options
    Clippers down 31 half way through the third. Time for a repeat of greatest comeback of all time? Come on clips!

• Options
    Clippers down 31 half way through the third. Time for a repeat of greatest comeback of all time? Come on clips!

Just the one miracle is all we could reasonably hope for. At least it's not a sweep.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It's a damn shame this White/Murray battle isn't being nationally televised.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
This discussion has been closed.