As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Checking for Interest in a 3.5 homebrew game

1235»

• Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry I wasn't able to make it tonight, a family *thing* (ach, bane of roleplayers everywhere!) came up.

Could I get a summary of what was discussed/decided?

What do you mean nobody took minutes?

Maticore on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We're actually still there, amusingly enough. some people showed up late.

The gist of it is this:

Due to everyone's conflicting schedules, the group is going to be broken into smaller grouplets. Each group will be run independantly, but interconnectedly, with the others. In other words, group A might be searching for some artifact, group B might be looking for a beastie that's been terrorizing the area, and groups C and D might be dead set on acquiring the same dungeon as a stronghold of their very own. Group A might find that their artifact is within this dungeon that group B seems to have cleared already and looted, only to find that when groups C and D show up, all hell breaks loose.

thats not the best example, but it gets the point across.

Second, death will not be a risk except during dramatic moments or as a direct result of Acts Of Extreme Stupidity. I'mnot talking about forgetting a rule or not using your best spell, I'm talking about "I'm tired of the dragon's talking, so I cast a fireball at it" or "I hate this king. I'll stab him in the chest."

Third, don't eat or drink anything Goose gives you, and don't go anywhere alone with him. There was a bit of confusion that led to a distinct lack of punch and pie, and he seemed disappointed and wanted alternatives.

Fourth, your characters will naturally earn reputations as the game goes on. You may want ot throw out "standard" roleplaying conventions like looking for a dungeon to loot, because a character whose sole goal in life is to kill things for more gold than he can possibly use, only to repeat the process after buying better equipment, is going to be treated like the psychotic monster he's acting like.

By the way, this splitting of people into groups means I can easily accomodate more players now. Interested parties, feel free to, well, uh, state your interest.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still think we all coulda made it Tuesday if we put the effort there ;-) But this idea will rock.

Goose! on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still think we all coulda made it Tuesday if we put the effort there ;-) But this idea will rock.

I only have four hours between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM on Tuesdays that won't be occupied with classes.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That leaves a whole night. :D

Goose! on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All right, we can start now, I'm done with finals. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, to bump this back up a bit, and find out what's goin' on, I turn to my friend Marvin and ask....

What's goin' on?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's unlikely that we can really start running until after Christmas. My family flew in from Texas to see my sister and I (not to mention my adorable niece), and I know a few other interested parties are going to be busy too. So we'll get to things in earnest after Christmas, I think. Until then, by all means, keep this thread alive with ideas or whatnot. I'll still be checking it.

And, of course, there's always AIM or PMs.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    rchanebergrchaneberg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How much does it cost to learn spells of level 1-3 in Arris(w/ starting character gold)?

edit: nevermind, saw earlier that it was scroll price - are those any higher in this because it is low magic are they standard value?
    edit2: Can we use feats/spells from the complete arcane?

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's standard pricing. I feel that even though it's a low magic world, a dedicated mage might well have learned a decent amount of magic. It's just that you won't find as much of it as you might in say, Forgotten Realms.

Also, yes, Complete Arcane is allowable, but if there's anything questionable, run it by me. I like to know what my players are capable of.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here is my magic addicted mage, thought about being an illusionist, but I really like evocation.
    Anson the Red

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh god, it's good to have ODaM back.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ODaM?
    I haven't heard that one before.

Edit:
    [SIZE=+1]Anson the Red[/SIZE]
    Male CN Human Wizard , Level 5, Init +2, HP 14/14, Speed 30ft
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Dagger +1 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Light Crossbow (20 Bolts) +4 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    (+2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 19, Wis 11, Cha 9
    Condition None

Woohoo, done (mostly)

Not sure what to do about backstory though, thinking about him being apprenticed to a wizard and being left in the desert by a rival, and rescued by a wandering cleric of Celinas, but I'm not sure.

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Of Dice and Men

It's what this forum was named until recently.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I prefer Critical Failures. Its funnier.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think I like Of Dice and Men better, mostly because it spells Oh damn.

Maybe it should be Critical failures: Of Dice and Men, so you get the appropriate cursing in there

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rchaneberg, I'm going to give you a simple caveat. *L* Don't read too much into it, just take it for what it's worth.

You're focused on Evocation magic, and that's fine. But you're going to want to remember that violence isn't always the best, or even most expedient, answer. Keep an eye on repercussions of your actions.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okay everybody, Roll Call. Sound off, guys.

I need to know who is actually joining up and who's lost interest. I also need character sheets from anyone who's got them.

I'll be transcribing each of your sheets to my personal Myth-Weavers account so I can keep a copy for my records. I'm doing this for several reasons. First reason: To prevent any temptation of cheatery, not that I expect anyone to actually try it... but hey, I barely know most of you *L* Second reason: So I can put private notes directly on your sheet that you won't see. Third reason: So I can keep track of your XP and HP myself. In any case of discrepancy between sheets, generally mine will be the "correct" one, but if I've made any mistakes, let me know and I'll fix them.

Also, I may be accepting players as we go. Once the game has actually started, each new player will either have to form their own "group" or find a way to join one of the established ones.

So! Who's still in?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Petra level 5 monk reporting

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Anson level five wizard, at your service

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm still interested, but it really depends entirely on how many people are in each group and what times the groups are.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daku, level five Scout, giving a little wave

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm still in.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still interested, but it really depends entirely on how many people are in each group and what times the groups are.

Maticore on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Level 5 swashbuckler who'se name I've temporarily forgotten, and I'm at work so I can't look it up, reporting... (I still need to buy weapons and armor, but I'll have that done before we start)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gorin, the mighty warrior dwarf, waving his axe, and nearly taking out someone's kneecaps, reporting.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is this still going on?

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Honestly, I'm not entirely certain.

The problem was always time constraints, and I seem to have lost the interest of a few people.

My solution of breaking you all up into smaller groups was only really viable if each group could form an at least mostly-functional party, and I don't think that's likely.

My preferred solution of taking this all to PbP on a custom-made form has already been shot down, so I'm not sure if this is still all that viable a game.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is there anything that I can do to help try and get this off the ground?

rchaneberg on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah, seriously, I still want to play, I'm sure a few more of us do too. Just tell us what time you want to run the game, and those that can play, will play.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    How about another meeting of interested parties? See what fits and what doesn't. I've opened up in days I'm available a bit. Sun/Tue/Thurs are all good.

Goose! on