Options

[Avengers] We’re in the Endgame (now with Open Spoilers)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    He wasn't fully worthy of the power of Thor until he made out with his niece

It's on there in really tiny writing

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl's hot take
    They shouldn't have killed Tony. Let him have his happily ever after with the new family. Him retiring, Thor fucking off to space and Steve going back to the past would have been a nice end for the original 3. We already had the grand sacrifice with black widow.

I am just a sucker for happy endings though.

But all in all, an amazing end to the infinity saga. I honestly hope they don't make another avenger's movie. They pulled of something amazing with the material. They should leave it at that.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I realized I had a massive sense of relief after seeing this movie. I'd been stressed out that they wouldn't land the bird. Like a weight has been lifted.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Steve was totally holding back during the AoU Mjolnir scene, huh?

I can't think of any possible reason he wouldn't have been worthy then but is worthy in Endgame, and Thor yelling I KNEW IT implies he knew Steve was faking it.

Either Steve was not yet worthy, or Steve, being a true patriot, didn't want to be a stupid royal king. Kings are bad. The USA doesn't have kings.

God we hate kings.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    They really cast the most adorable little girl as Tony's daughter, that hurt

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am bummed that the time jump means we won't get more of that adorable girl who played Scott's daughter in the last two Ant-Man movies. I mean now we get a teenage version who can get into cool mischief with her dad, but still.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Right now I am entertaining myself thinking about how the separate universe spawned by Loki fleeing via the Space Stone works.

-- Loki isn't imprisoned on Asgard when it is attacked by the Dark Elves, which means he isn't there to offer the villains the suggestion of going the way that leads to his mother being killed. So Frigga is potentially still alive in that universe.

-- Loki isn't involved in any of Thor 2's plot, so Odin is still ruling Asgard.

-- Hella is still imprisoned.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

She single handedly made me think they would reverse things and cause Tony no end of pain. She is up there with Cassie.
    Steve was totally holding back during the AoU Mjolnir scene, huh?

I can't think of any possible reason he wouldn't have been worthy then but is worthy in Endgame, and Thor yelling I KNEW IT implies he knew Steve was faking it.

Either Steve was not yet worthy, or Steve, being a true patriot, didn't want to be a stupid royal king. Kings are bad. The USA doesn't have kings.

But it does have DAT ASS.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ant-Man 3 is 100% introducing Stature

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Athenor wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

She single handedly made me think they would reverse things and cause Tony no end of pain. She is up there with Cassie.

Seeing her after Tony died was almost the second time I teared up, but I fought it superhard. The scenes between them earlier in the film were also plucking my heartstrings really hard.

I've grown soft, folks, it's finally happened.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Watch them have a scene in the next Ant-Man where it flashes back to Cassie at the snap and we see her mom and step-dad dust and she has to be on her own for five years and all the shit she had to deal with.

That would wreck me.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    But all in all, an amazing end to the infinity saga. I honestly hope they don't make another avenger's movie. They pulled of something amazing with the material. They should leave it at that.

A New Avengers would be pretty much an entirely new cast of heroes compared to the original Avengers

Captain Marvel, Captain Falcon, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Wasp

I'm excited to see what their team dynamic is like

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I realized I had a massive sense of relief after seeing this movie. I'd been stressed out that they wouldn't land the bird. Like a weight has been lifted.

You mean land the fish

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You mean land the fish

No, it’s land the bird. Just like landing a plan. You gotta land the plane to be in business.

• Options
    I know it’s silly to get hung up on these kinds of things. But how am I going to land a fish? It can’t walk! And if it swam up on shore, and it battled a hawk, who’s gonna win?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    These were the moments from the original 2 Ultimates TPBs that I was referring to that I thought they nailed. Pure comic book.
    SM2018_003_001.jpg
    ultimates-splash.jpg

Also someone mentioned the strange color palette during the final battle? I think this is why.

I assumed the color palette was because they were fighting in a war zone / Thanos had just bombed the shit out of the whole area.

Which is true, but that whole final sequence in Ultimates 2 where Thor calls in the Asgardians is done with a very heavy red sky/brown brown earth color scheme as well.

I can't confirm that of course, but it felt like the climaxes of both of those Ultimates' arcs.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    low key one of my favorite things about the (very white) audience I was watching it with was when the portals opened and someone was like

OH MY GOD ITS T'CHALLA!

and everyone cheered.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey I don't know how much I loved Peter Parker, guy who doesn't kill, turning on a thing called "instant kill" and stabbing folks a million times

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey I don't know how much I loved Peter Parker, guy who doesn't kill, turning on a thing called "instant kill" and stabbing folks a million times
    I think completely mindless alien beasts are okay to cut loose on, especially given the stakes

They only ever showed him doing it to the Outriders even, not Chitauri footsoldiers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Saw this

Thought it was fun. They super didn't earn their "girl power" scene and I think the Black Widow stuff was bad but I think all of that was talked about to death.

Cap getting the hammer was great. Cap living was also great, because popular opinion was definitely that he was going to die this time.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I didn't see Captain Marvel (and still haven't) but I enjoyed her arrival in the finale of the movie where she effectively pulled a Goku.

The Skrull leader in Captain Marvel is fucking awesome.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I didn't see Captain Marvel (and still haven't) but I enjoyed her arrival in the finale of the movie where she effectively pulled a Goku.

The Skrull leader in Captain Marvel is fucking awesome.

I have heard!

I'll check it out once Disney+ is up and running.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, one of the biggest disappointments of the five year time skip is we won't get anymore young Cassie. That girl was adorable and hilarious.

Cassie: "Oh snap we gotta bounce before the po-po get here!"

Paul Rudd, barely not losing his shit: "where did you even hear that???"

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I liked that they (I assume intentionally) dropped all pretense of Thanos being some noble warrior trying to save the Galaxy and the second things weren't going his way he just turned into a pissy purple baby.

I also liked that when he got snapped he just sat down and pouted until he disintegrated.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Black Panther got the audience going when he showed. Spider-Man took them to their feet.

Me? I started crying when Tony hugged Peter and then was kinda start and stop until after Tony's final credit.

Great movie, great culmination of everything. I've been falling off ever since Ant-Man; I love bits from the movies and there are some I for sure like more than others, but it's been that warm blanket, a movie I know we'll get a babysitter for so it'll be nice to see something together. And this, I guess, was the warmest of blankets and maybe that means that's it's less a movie and just a feeling but it was great to see that they actually fucking pulled it together.

And now, I'm actually excited for an upcoming Marvel movie instead of just showing up that weekend. Let's go, Asgardians of the Galaxy!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I really dug Carol’s new ‘do.

• Options
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I liked that they (I assume intentionally) dropped all pretense of Thanos being some noble warrior trying to save the Galaxy and the second things weren't going his way he just turned into a pissy purple baby.

I also liked that when he got snapped he just sat down and pouted until he disintegrated.

I think this movie did a good amount of work to completely deflate any semblance of "Thanos was right" that could be walked away with from the last movie

There was no thriving, everything just stagnated under the weight of crippling depression and survivor's guilt

There's no forgiveness for him from his daughters, no concept of him actually loving them, just manipulating and using them to his own selfish purposes, as well as the acknowledgement that they ARE selfish purposes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Can you imagine if you were like 7-years-old when the first Iron Man movie came out and you saw it? You'd be 18 now and have literally grown up with the MCU.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @spool32 over in D&D helping us all out with an attempt at a visual representation of this film.
    spool32 wrote: »
    Here's my helpful flowchart for the time shenanigans

XEkdsccl.png

Zonugal on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Im firmly in the camp of not giving a shit about the rules of time travel and just enjoying the story they told.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Magell wrote: »
    Im firmly in the camp of not giving a shit about the rules of time travel and just enjoying the story they told.

This is one of the good things about seeing the movie with my family and not the same sort of pedantic engineers I saw Looper with back in the day

Days of endless discussions on how the time travel process made no sense despite Bruce Willis all but turning to the audience and saying SHUT UP ABOUT TIME TRAVEL

SHUT UP

IT'S A MOVIE

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    This movie made me feel emotions I didn’t know I had

As mentioned, the real casualty is no more little kid Cassie, the most adorablest kid ever

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    This movie made me feel emotions I didn’t know I had

As mentioned, the real casualty is no more little kid Cassie, the most adorablest kid ever

It's partially this and partially less Quality Child Parenting from Scott Lang

Now he's gonna have to do Quality Teen Parenting and that's less fun

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I like time travel. I've even made time travel threads here. Time travel is fiction though, so as long as you don't break any rules you establish (stated or implied) in that particular fiction then it doesn't matter.

Endgame made sense to me with it's established rules. So did Looper, by the way.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Paul Rudd should maybe do more dramas cause he sold the shit out of that reunion scene with his kid
    The bit where he stops being jovial and goofy when Tony says no and gets genuinely angry was really effective too

Paul Rudd really sells the idea of Scott Lang, more than maybe any other character in the MCU, of being a representative of the common man.

So when he sees this larger than life figure being scared and/or selfish he just calls them out on it.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Logan is the only one of that list I would call good personally.

X1 and X2 came out when the comicbook movie landscape was pretty sparse and I don't know how well they'd hold up today. And I think First Class and DoFP were aggressively okay(but I'll concede they both did well at the Box Office).

Having recently rewatched the first X-Men movie, it still holds up fairly well.

But beyond that, it is still a very relevant movie in the themes it discusses:
    Magneto: Magnificent, isn't she?
    Rogue: I've seen it.
    Magneto: I first saw her in 1949. America was going to be the land of tolerance. Peace.
    Rogue: Are you going to kill me?
    Magneto: Yes.
    Rogue: Why?
    Magneto: Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace. Not here, or anywhere else.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that reminds me.

I thought when Cap and Stark were going for another trip after they lose the tesseract and they make a big deal about not having enough Pym Particles, with Ant Man right there, I thought they were going to go, Hey, Scott, what's Hank's address? Fly to San Fransisco, ask for some, and then use those.

I mean the way they did it is far more exciting I guess and you get to de age Micheal Douglas even more, so why wouldn't you, but it seemed an awful lot simpler to me.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I like low stakes superhero movies too. I hope we get to see more of that.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I hated hated HATED Gamora's treatment in Infinity War

but

We have now received a replacement Gamora who is not in a pre-established relationship with Quill and in fact seems to despise him, and has a strong rapport with Nebula, my new favorite supporting character.

.......I'll allow it

• Options
    Here's a thing I didn't realize

Chris Evans was saying this movie is intended as the sendoff for him, RDJ, AND Hemsworth

it really felt like Thor was set up that he could be in Guardians 3, but maybe not, maybe he's just done

6F32U1X.png