Options

[Avengers] We’re in the Endgame (now with Open Spoilers)

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I loved this movie, absolutely loved it.

I cried sad tears, but I also cried tears of joy when Cap finally got to say “avengers assemble” while every fucking hero started to portal in. Holy shit.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I like low stakes superhero movies too. I hope we get to see more of that.

10 years of the mcu and not a single vampire. not sure what more you’re looking for honestly

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

10 years of the mcu and not a single vampire. not sure what more you’re looking for honestly

save that for the high stakes cinematic universe

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

save that for the high stakes cinematic universe

the time is friggin ripe now that this dead ass weight is all wrapped up and outta the way

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I really hope we get a period here where potentially one-off shots at new characters outnumber franchise revisits

they honestly should do Blade! it would be fun! the overarching story is over, let's just have some goddamn fun for a while!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Give
    me
    Squirrel Girl

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Here's a thing I didn't realize

Chris Evans was saying this movie is intended as the sendoff for him, RDJ, AND Hemsworth

it really felt like Thor was set up that he could be in Guardians 3, but maybe not, maybe he's just done

iirc this was probably originally the case before Taika Waititi got Hemsworth to really enjoy the character again.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Give
    me
    Squirrel Girl

I wonder if Squirrel Girl is just gonna be trapped in limbo now that New Warriors is in whatever state of development hell it's in

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Chris Evans was saying this movie is intended as the sendoff for him, RDJ, AND Hemsworth

it really felt like Thor was set up that he could be in Guardians 3, but maybe not, maybe he's just done

iirc this was probably originally the case before Taika Waititi got Hemsworth to really enjoy the character again.

Yeah, I believe he’s recently said in interviews that he would keep playing Thor as long as they’ll let him.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think Hemsworth going to gotg so he can do all his fucking jokey jokes is a good idea.

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    I saw it; loved it!

Two little things:
    1) When the ancient-one soul-slapped Banner, I was expecting The Hulk body to re-awaken as a rampaging beast.

2) Two of the Thanos' Children are married in the comics (the ones that attack Vision and Wanda in IW), and after Tony Snaps his fingers you can see them in the background holding each other sadly accepting the dust.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    durax wrote: »
    I saw it; loved it!

Two little things:
    1) When the ancient-one soul-slapped Banner, I was expecting The Hulk body to re-awaken as a rampaging beast.

2) Two of the Thanos' Children are married in the comics (the ones that attack Vision and Wanda in IW), and after Tony Snaps his fingers you can see them in the background holding each other sadly accepting the dust.

I was hoping she'd project both hulk and banner and they'd both share a conversation, but I guess they'd united by then.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

This just takes the pressure off. Maybe they'll do cameos in future films or something, but this is the end of the burden of saving the world being on the original Avenger's shoulders.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that reminds me.

I thought when Cap and Stark were going for another trip after they lose the tesseract and they make a big deal about not having enough Pym Particles, with Ant Man right there, I thought they were going to go, Hey, Scott, what's Hank's address? Fly to San Fransisco, ask for some, and then use those.

I mean the way they did it is far more exciting I guess and you get to de age Micheal Douglas even more, so why wouldn't you, but it seemed an awful lot simpler to me.

I mean it seems like a good way to get punched. cause that's what Pym does to people that want his particles.

he punches them.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oh yeah, that reminds me.

I thought when Cap and Stark were going for another trip after they lose the tesseract and they make a big deal about not having enough Pym Particles, with Ant Man right there, I thought they were going to go, Hey, Scott, what's Hank's address? Fly to San Fransisco, ask for some, and then use those.

I mean the way they did it is far more exciting I guess and you get to de age Micheal Douglas even more, so why wouldn't you, but it seemed an awful lot simpler to me.

I assumed that they had already done just this, and that the particles that they had for the initial jump were all that Hank had available before he got dusted.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i've never been in one of these theaters i hear of where people shout or cheer. there are some audible reactions like the mjolnir scene and the people who stayed did clap after the credits.

i think the closest i've seen was during the lord of the rings films. people were really into the shit legolas did.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This movie ruled, but my theater's projector was out of focus just enough to be irritating in some scenes.

I'm gonna go back and see it again sometime soon and hopefully have better luck.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    mine was dim! it was a 2D showing and everything was very dim, it made the dark fight scenes very confusing

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    mine was dim! it was a 2D showing and everything was very dim, it made the dark fight scenes very confusing

Yeah I'll probably go check it out in one of the nicer formats next weekend.

• Options
    At some point it needs to be mentioned how weird it is that all the needle drops in this movie are the exact same kind of dadrock

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    At some point it needs to be mentioned how weird it is that all the needle drops in this movie are the exact same kind of dadrock

All the needle drops were from Quinn's Zune playlist, so that's par for the course.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    You mean Quail?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How soon we forget the official concept album released for Marvel's The Avengers.
    71ANmvLaykL._SX522_.jpg
    51Xq0lHN2qL.jpg

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Quall.png

Quall

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Im firmly in the camp of not giving a shit about the rules of time travel and just enjoying the story they told.

This is one of the good things about seeing the movie with my family and not the same sort of pedantic engineers I saw Looper with back in the day

Days of endless discussions on how the time travel process made no sense despite Bruce Willis all but turning to the audience and saying SHUT UP ABOUT TIME TRAVEL

SHUT UP

IT'S A MOVIE

But... Looper's time travel was a great example of using proper paradox mechanics. I loved that film

This one I definitely have to switch my brain off for, which is fine. Time travel is weird and when its written really well and consistently I get excited but when it's just kinda hand waved that's okay too if it results in a fun story.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You know a funny thing about this movie is the focus on snapping with the Infinity Stones, as if that's the only way to use them all like that, when Thanos only snapped the gauntlet like he did because he's just a showboater.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah. Despite what Bruce Willis says in the movie Looper tries to have a consistent set of rules and break them (I can't remember where). Avengers just says we can't change the past, and so they don't really need a set of functioning time rules so no one really cares about them.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How soon we forget the official concept album released for Marvel's The Avengers.
    71ANmvLaykL._SX522_.jpg
    51Xq0lHN2qL.jpg

I NEVER KNEW THIS EXISTED

It sure was a nice six seconds where I discovered this thing existed but didn't know the band list was ass. Buckcherry? For real?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    low key one of my favorite things about the (very white) audience I was watching it with was when the portals opened and someone was like

OH MY GOD ITS T'CHALLA! Howard the Duck!

and everyone cheered.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You know a funny thing about this movie is the focus on snapping with the Infinity Stones, as if that's the only way to use them all like that, when Thanos only snapped the gauntlet like he did because he's just a showboater.

I guess Thanos just liked doing it, and the Avengers didn’t know any alternative.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Nah. Despite what Bruce Willis says in the movie Looper tries to have a consistent set of rules and break them (I can't remember where). Avengers just says we can't change the past, and so they don't really need a set of functioning time rules so no one really cares about them.

I think the time travel in Avengers works perfectly. Its DBZ style multiverse theory honestly. Cap didn't stay with his universes Peggy. He stayed with the Peggy in the universe the stole the space gem from and then came back to the prime universe in unstated but plausible ways. People disagree with these points but its consistent with the movie and everything else in the movie so it works for me.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I have a hard time believing that Captain America would just stand by and let Hydra take over Shield or enslave Bucky for 60 years. Plus, what kind of life would he be living if he had to constantly worry about preserving the timeline? He'd have to keep huge secrets from Peggy. He'd have to carefully consider everything he does. He wouldn't be able to make a lot of friends of meet Peggy's family.

He may stop being a soldier but I don't think he's someone who would let horrible injustices happen just because it's "meant to be." Especially with Peggy out there fighting to protect the world.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I have a hard time believing that Captain America would just stand by and let Hydra take over Shield or enslave Bucky for 60 years. Plus, what kind of life would he be living if he had to constantly worry about preserving the timeline? He'd have to keep huge secrets from Peggy. He'd have to carefully consider everything he does. He wouldn't be able to make a lot of friends of meet Peggy's family.

He may stop being a soldier but I don't think he's someone who would let horrible injustices happen just because it's "meant to be." Especially with Peggy out there fighting to protect the world.

this is another reason I am looking at multiverse theory for this

this alt universe has Cap settle down with Peggy but drop some hints to the right people as the years go on. Knowing that he won't have to deal with Thanos far in the future likely helps ease his mind a lot, too.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Can you imagine if you were like 7-years-old when the first Iron Man movie came out and you saw it? You'd be 18 now and have literally grown up with the MCU.

There were a whole bunch of little family groups like this at my showing, parent(s) in the late 40s/early 50s, couple of kids in the late teens/early 20s, really clearly doing a thing they'd been doing for a decade, it was great to see.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Watched Endgame today (was supposed to watch it yesterday but wrong date booked).

Very satisfied with this conclusion.

I knew Tony was going to die, as Marvel pretty much can't afford him anymore.

But Steve retiring as a old man was surprising when it happened, but in hindsight makes sense as Chris Evans has had to maintain his build for like 9 years straight. Each year he had at least one appearance in a Marvel Movie.

9 years of America's ass :P

Also did Stormbreaker had the same rules as Mjolnir? Steve was able to hold it, which wouldn't be surprising as he's worthy, but fucking Thanos shouldn't have been able to use it.

Speaking of Mjolnir I had the same reaction as Thor when Steve picked it up. He totally faked not picking it up on in Age of Ultron and I had been waiting since 2015 for him to be called out on it.

Steve in tricking the Hydra guys into handing over Loki's scepter left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a smart move and all, but it just feels wrong to hear hear him say "Hail Hydra". And now I'm worried the past Steve who got mind controlled by the scepter will somehow return as an actual Hydra/Nazi Cap. Let that comic shit stay dead please.

Also unsure if that post credit noise was a clock ticking or black smithing. If the former, it could be a hint to Kang the Conquer (time). If the latter it could either be a reference to the first Iron Man film in the cave, or....Doctor Doom getting his armor and mask forged.

I like to think it was a Iron Man 1 reference, as final send off to the character, but damn if I don't want to see Doom in the MCU

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The end credits thing is 100% the hammering from the first Iron Man

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Im firmly in the camp of not giving a shit about the rules of time travel and just enjoying the story they told.

This is one of the good things about seeing the movie with my family and not the same sort of pedantic engineers I saw Looper with back in the day

Days of endless discussions on how the time travel process made no sense despite Bruce Willis all but turning to the audience and saying SHUT UP ABOUT TIME TRAVEL

SHUT UP

IT'S A MOVIE

But... Looper's time travel was a great example of using proper paradox mechanics. I loved that film

This one I definitely have to switch my brain off for, which is fine. Time travel is weird and when its written really well and consistently I get excited but when it's just kinda hand waved that's okay too if it results in a fun story.

They drew diagrams in MSPaint.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Steve in tricking the Hydra guys into handing over Loki's scepter left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a smart move and all, but it just feels wrong to hear hear him say "Hail Hydra". And now I'm worried the past Steve who got mind controlled by the scepter will somehow return as an actual Hydra/Nazi Cap. Let that comic shit stay dead please.

Nah I just think that was the Russos taking a comic thing that happened and putting a much better spin on it. Just like with Civil War.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am

extremely happy that Steve passed the mantle to Sam. I had to contain my excitement in the theatre because the rest of the audience was well behaved, but I was over the moon when I realised what was happening.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In the theme of different spins on what happens in the comics it would be cool if Sam accepted the shield but kept the Falcon moniker.