As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I really wish that FF VIII leaned into the horror of a person running military schools which essentially force children to bond with creatures that, for all intents and purposes, subsist on memories while making them also fight as proxies for various nation states to pay the bills instead of just shrugging and going with tepid high school drama.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It is pretty funny when you break down the story like that just how batshit insane FF8 really was.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna take bets on how drastically Barret's theme will change in the remake? My only input is, "It will be for the worst, like headdesk bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKyJV-0tAo

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh hey there's a thing about how/why Final Fantasy 9's official strategy guide was such garbage. Tweet and article link below but the short of it is Square wanted to do a website thing and Brady were legally bound to do what Square demanded and also capitalism is bad.

https://kotaku.com/how-final-fantasy-ixs-strategy-guide-turned-out-so-horr-1834809621

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It is pretty funny when you break down the story like that just how batshit insane FF8 really was.

Especially when you think that this was/is Square's multimillion-dollar franchise. Who green lighted this? lol. This is probably one of the reasons I love it because in this modern age it looks so STRANGE when compared with say...FFXII which has a pretty straightforward pitch.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh hey there's a thing about how/why Final Fantasy 9's official strategy guide was such garbage. Tweet and article link below but the short of it is Square wanted to do a website thing and Brady were legally bound to do what Square demanded and also capitalism is bad.

https://kotaku.com/how-final-fantasy-ixs-strategy-guide-turned-out-so-horr-1834809621

I thought that was obvious that was what had happened, just from reading the guide

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

I thought that was obvious that was what had happened, just from reading the guide

The only way to be sure is to go to PlayOnline.

• Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Yeah, I owned that guide and my recollection is the pages themselves direct you to PlayOnline and its subscription service for the "real, in-depth coverage" all throughout. It wasn't really a mystery.
    Nightslyer wrote:
    I really wish that FF VIII leaned into the horror of a person running military schools which essentially force children to bond with creatures that, for all intents and purposes, subsist on memories while making them also fight as proxies for various nation states to pay the bills instead of just shrugging and going with tepid high school drama.
    I can appreciate the weird subversions on slice-of-life tropes that FFVIII's happy-go-lucky murder schools put on the inevitable anime spins the series took on as a whole. What you describe leans a little uncomfortably close to one of those gritty westernizations of an idea that comes and goes and nobody's really satisfied with when it's around, be they familiar with its roots or not.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Type-0 is more or less a bit closer to that concept anyways

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think my favorite random thing of FFVIII is Selphie's BBS she creates on the Balamb Garden internet that dies very early into the game, if I remember correctly. It both feels like something someone thought of and then gave up on (and the plot doesn't really allow for) but also is written well enough that it feels like the failed website/BBS of so many groups that I can't help but love it.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Selphie keeps updating that blog throughout the game until the point on no return. She even gets her friends to write posts but no one is really interested. And then she creates a Laguna fan site.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    the fan site which she updates every single time you find a timber maniac magazine. It's wild.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Shit, I've forgotten a bunch of stuff apparently. I remember her saying she wasn't going to update it again after she becomes SeeD and is selected for the mission to go assassinate the president. I didn't anything with that Blog after that.

• Options
    I'm really tempted to pick up XII on the Switch. I gave up on it about halfway through my original vanilla playthru on the PS2, but it seems like this version addresses just about all the things that frustrated me back then.

• Options
    HUUUUGE FF news:

I'm so buying it now lol

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's nice that it's getting patched.

The original PC release in the era of manual patches (that required you be aware they existed at all).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Patch notes. The guy is grammatically proper sick.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I remember needing to manually patch the 90s PC port of ff7 to not crash to desktop when it tried to render the world map, so as soon as you leave midgar for the first time. It was some bug that only showed up with my brand of graphics card I think.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Been replaying IX on my switch at night right before bed. It's just so damn good. The game just keeps climbing higher and higher on my list every year.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    FFIX is next on my list after I finally beat FFVII. I have both on Steam (bought them before the Switch versions were announced, woulda grabbed them there otherwise). I'm looking forward to it as a shift in both art style and tone from FFVII.

Then, after those two, on to WoFF for some cute monster stacking shenanigans. I think I'm most excited to get to play that one (on the Switch this time).

Cruor on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have the ps3 FFX, but I thought about getting the PS4 one.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think I've finally reached critical mass in my backlog and I've quit buying new games for the most part. I'm pretty much only interested in re-playing older games, especially old rpgs. New games have so little appeal to me now, it's a strange switch that's been flipped. (I will buy Samurai Showdown but that might be it for 2019). I'm planning to pretty much play IX, X, and XII on the Switch as my next 3 games...which will probably take me to the beginning of 2020.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    This has happened to me @Grove . I would love to be part of the zeitgeist and play Rage 2 but I'm having a blast replaying old MP shooters and Deus EX:HR right now. Oh and FF14 of course.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Type-0 is more or less a bit closer to that concept anyways

Yeah, Type-0 is the FF8 military concept more realized, only with different fucked up sacrifices.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I have been playing FF7 New Threat and its great. It is still enough of the original that I am remembering lots of stuff since I haven't played any FF7 in over 15 years. But I can see where they tweaked things here and there and it makes the game just as exciting as the first time I did it. And fights being challenging enough to make me work is goddamned amazing in FF7 because it normally was one of the easiest FF games ever.

The difficulty is kind of nailing a spot that lets you forge your party the way you want and feel like a badass when it works.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I genuinely don’t understand why people talk about Tifa’s design like it’s so scandalous.

It’s a skirt and a tank top. It’s not even a revealing tank top. And while she’s busty, it’s a reasonable kind of busty. when you look at her actual character art or her in-battle model, there’s really nothing too crazy going on there.

The only problems in the actual original game are in like two or three CG cutscenes where they suddenly give her massive comedy boobs that are sloshing all over the place like it’s a DOA game and someone set the age to 99.

Personally I will be bummed if they changed it much. Her look is iconic, and is a nice blend of “martial artist” and “barmaid”. Her AC design always felt super dull to me.

Tifa’s design is fine and good. Just keep overly horny animators away from her

I have a habit of generalizing/simplifying things, but I think the debates come down to two very simple things:

1. Pissants that don't really give a shit but want to endlessly whine about anything that's an "SJW Agenda" or anything related to their utter hatred of women. Expect to see a lot of "it's unrealistic that this girl can suplex a dinosaur" comments to crop up.

2. Horny on Main: There's a significant chunk of folks, whether they're fans of FFVII or not, that view Tifa as a constant source of fap fuel.

And hey, I get it, I won't deny the power of anime tiddy. But you can't just insert it into any material like a shitty Skyrim mod, it has to fit with the tone and aesthetics of the source material. That's why I don't care how absurd the bosoms get in something like Dead or Alive or Senran Kagura, those games know what they are.

But Final Fantasy VII is obviously a higher bar, and Tifa resonated with a lot of people emotionally, not just for physical attributes. And nobody said she can't go past a certain cup size, but too many folks online have this absurd sliding scale of "it's either shirt-ripping huge or flat as a board". As long as she's reasonably proportioned so she doesn't stick out from the other characters (of which we can clearly see are getting a lot of love and care...I've looked at Aerith gifs all weekend and I'm still impressed), I don't mind a curvy-yet-powerful frame akin to Rogue from the X-Men or some versions of Wonder Woman. Personally I would love it if she was given even a slight bit of extra muscle tone. Some people said they want her as jacked as Zarya, but I would prefer something around Korra.

If I could be completely honest, one of the major reasons I wanted a Remake so badly was the chance to "reintroduce" Tifa to the mainstream audience. I don't think the overall majority write her off as "the titty girl", but it's definitely eschewed a bit too far in that direction. I highly doubt Square will risk their worldwide multi-million console-spanning project just to keep the hentai fan-artists happy (and it's not like they're going to stop following a more modest unveiling, much less scale the proportions to accuracy), but I really hope they come up with something "balanced" instead of, say, Pyrra from Xenoblade.

Don't get me wrong, I am expecting a lot of stupidity come June...and part of me is morbidly excited about that. The angrier /v/ and Reddit get, the more successful the new design.

But another probable reason for the rampant discussion is that I think it comes from the same place as the people constantly posting online "Yo, where Tifa at?" with every Twitter post and elsewhere: Tifa is extremely popular, maybe the most popular character after Cloud and Sephiroth. And with strong female characters becoming a big mainstream trend, and how gifs and videos of her Advent Children fight are constantly being referenced even today, I think it's very likely that Square read the room and is saving her unveiling for June in order to simultaneously show off their new battle system: there's been a bit of anger from fans about the Remake becoming more action-focused, so I can see a lot of 180s following a hype video of Tifa showing off all sorts of real-time combat moves (and, my most wanted feature, team-up attacks). Depending on how the Remake is split up, there's even the possibility of opening up one of the games with Tifa as the main playable character for a decent chunk of it, and that's quite awesome in my opinion.

So yeah, if you couldn't tell, the teaser got me back on the hype train, and it seems the majority of folks online are united in their hype. It feels good seeing people streaming the original game, reminiscing about their favorite moments, endlessly speculating how this or that scene is going to play out and what kind of modern conventions they want to see (outfits. give me all of the stupid, goofy outfits that I can freely change), just....I can't remember the last time the FF community was united like this.

Yeah, they did a good job getting folks on board again after a one minute teaser. This E3 is going to be insane. I'm practically shaking as I count the days down.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I'm surprised I never considered it, considering I actually like the film Advent Children (the complete version anyway), but revision Tifa...does look at lot like what high-defintion Rinoa might.

As cool as black leather always is (just ask Cloud), that's potentially an issue for obvious reasons. That's not really a strong vote for Tifa's original design so much as a flaw with her AC-era redesign--it just so happens that, despite having a very simple outfit (white top, black skirt, boots, gloves, suspenders), Tifa's design manages to be surprisingly distinctive within the greater franchise. Pretty much no one else in a Final Fantasy game dresses the way she does.

Just avoid giving her Soulcalibur Ivy body physics, and we'll be fine.

• Options
    Without making any comment on tifa's original outfit, I have never liked any of the AC outfits. That was a real low point of Nomura's character design sensibilities, too into extremely generic j-rock music video looks.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yuffie's is brilliant and you know it.

For the sole reason that she's wearing a shirt that looks like she made it out of the curtain from an udon stand in Wutai.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The outfit has always been fine

Just don’t give her comically large breasts and there are zero issues

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    and what kind of modern conventions they want to see (outfits. give me all of the stupid, goofy outfits that I can freely change)

Can I get Shinra Soldier Red XIII? :)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

For me the only issue with her outfit is that a mini-skirt is quite silly for someone who kicks a lot.

Also, a nitpick: Cloud's Advent Children outfit is not black leather. It's soft cloth, and very snuggly-looking. You could have a relaxing spa day and wear that outfit at the end of it and you'd be feeling chill as heck.

• Options
    Tifa's redesign is just going to be a giant boob, with smaller boobs sort of hovering in the places where her arms and legs should be.

• Options
    oh I've come full Circle with AC outfits and I think I like them again. I just love using my AC Cloud Wardrobe in FFRK. Wish I could get AC Tifa too!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fry wrote: »
    and what kind of modern conventions they want to see (outfits. give me all of the stupid, goofy outfits that I can freely change)

Can I get Shinra Soldier Red XIII? :)

Absolutely.

We also better get Reporter Yuffie:

yuffie-ffvii-reporter2yjrq.png

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    sailor suit barret

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Is this comically large though?

ELd8Q01.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean, by most anime based game standards, thats really not comically large. If anything, I notice the insanely long legs more than that.

I have seen plenty of character designs that just guide you towards seeing breasts first. I just... don't get that out of the that Tifa design.

The only time I felt they made her look absurd was one part in the ending cinematic.

• Options
    I never minded her design but I'm also not married to it. If it changes, it changes, and that's that. It'll probably be cool anyway.

• Options
    sailor suit barret

So, as hilarious at it is...."sailor suits"/"Donald duck suits" are still worn by many, if not most, of the world's military naval forces sailors/enlisted men.

a2uuxmi6oqaw.jpg

ljas0885n9wl.jpg

dqtjt4injo9x.jpg

1nt6sw925uac.jpg

stf0g66nl9rd.jpg

Taiwanese, Chinese, French, Japanese, and Russian Navy sailors. Shinra's sailors wear completely normal uniforms...Barret's hilarious hugeness aside.

This discussion has been closed.