As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Just watched the DVR of US-Esp.

I'm hurting in places I didn't know I had. God damn.

Hope they can reach 100% for Friday. And hopefully France doesn't see this and decide the trick is to play American football against the Americans.

Physical footy is usually a tactic selected by teams that are massively overmatched and they know it. They figure it probably wouldn't hurt (them) to go for it and oddly enough it is an effective strategy at this level since refs only seem to swallow their whistles in the larger stages. Besides, if the US can't compete in the next round why should Spain care? They're going home anyway and probably won't play them for another four years. Maybe.

France, being one of the favoured teams, is unlikely to play the same way. They have actual talent.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Decent comeback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPgbEaOAeDg

edit: you'll need to watch on youtube, won't play embedded.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Right, match 4, lets see if we can actually get a decent match from the european champions.

Edit: nope. Almost rooting for japan now. God we're awful again.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Looking a lot sharper already and the early goal to boot!

Edit: Ofcourse followed by some slothlike defending and our goalie doing whatever the hell that was. Thank you goalpost.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    The japanese goalie is really good at coming out to defend on long passes, something that a lot of other goalies struggle with.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man a great game ruined by a bad handball call.

• Options
    I'm sorry japan, that was dubious and you deserved more.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

Eh, don’t leave your arms out when you are squaring up to defend a shot. Reasonable penalty

• Options
    edited June 2019
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Eh, don’t leave your arms out when you are squaring up to defend a shot. Reasonable penalty

My problem is that it amounts to pass interference in application. There was a handball yesterday not called that was at a greater distance that didnt glance off the player before hitting the arm. The application of the rule is different from one instance to the next. And you can always say the ball hit the arm and thats that and that is fair I guess but the other nebulous rules for handball applied as well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Deadspin reached out to the USMNT for comment on the pay inequality. The response was rather unanimous.
    Did not respond to request for comment.

Apparently, one or two did actually respond...with 'no comment'.

And somebody commented with the following:
    Man, these guys really won’t defend anything.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »

My problem is that it amounts to pass interference in application. There was a handball yesterday not called that was at a greater distance that didnt glance off the player before hitting the arm. The application of the rule is different from one instance to the next. And you can always say the ball hit the arm and thats that and that is fair I guess but the other nebulous rules for handball applied as well.

Handball is the greyest law in the book and it can happen in like a million different subtle variations so it’s always going to be a controversial call no matter what. The newest version of the laws of the game is attempting to more explicitly spell out situations when it applies but all that means is that we are just going to disagree on whether or not those “clear guidelines” actually occurred or not.

It’s a highly subjective call but it isn’t going to go away anytime soon unfortunately.

• Options
    All they gotta do is add the forward pass!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Curaçao advances on a solid effort against Jamaica and Honduras blowing up El Salvador!

What a great evening of soccer.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    You mean Cameroon? Yeah they got smashed and were really pissy about it

Also the VAR bullshit

The aftermath is ridiculous.

Cameroon accuses England ref of ‘dirty work’

Referee In England Vs Cameroon Rejected Two VAR Decisions In Fear Of African Side Walking Off

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't have any time for that kind of stroppy attitude tbh. You see it in all levels of football and its just ridiculous but that match was something special.

• Options
    Also Wayne Rooney might be a granny shagger but he is good at the fitba

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    England moving twice the speed of Norway there

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Cracking work, best performance of the competition from England there. That's a team that neither the US nor France wants to play.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Brazil-Paraguay was a good game until the ref just decided to end it with a red card on Paraguay.

Not sure why that required a red instead of a yellow.

ED: And Paraguay manages to hold out for the draw!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    That didn't take long.

Rapinoe with a goal in the 5th minute, USWNT up 1-0 early on France.

• Options
    Cool. Studs up into Rap. Great job

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    USA really getting worked over. For as good as the USA's midfield are supposed to be, its all scramble to get the ball then bomb it down the sidelines for Rapinoe or Morgan, a quick shot, and then back into their own half to defend. Lucky to be up one not down 2-0.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure their style is the big counter and not ball control.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    The US’ last three goals (non penalty) have all come in the two minute window between me laving my desk and entering the cafeteria at work.

I’m pretty sure I am the one causing the early us goals

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I was just gonna complain about France's absolute control over the ball and then bam!

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Rapinoe for President

• Options
    USA really getting worked over. For as good as the USA's midfield are supposed to be, its all scramble to get the ball then bomb it down the sidelines for Rapinoe or Morgan, a quick shot, and then back into their own half to defend. Lucky to be up one not down 2-0.

Disagree, possession is not their style, quickness is, and they are executing their game plan.

• Options
    USA is completely collapsed back. Running the clock out.

• Options
    Nice bodycheck by Morgan there.

• Options
    What a fucking play.
    No way that is offside!?

• Options
    France finally gets Cascarino in, who gave the USWNT tons of trouble in earlier matchups. Another 15ish minutes to go in this one.

• Options
    Back line has been pretty stellar for the US to this point, aside from that bad giveaway by O'Hara that happened right as I started typing this.

• Options
    lol the reffing late in this game is really funny.

• Options
    Shit.

• Options
  • Options
    Heh they were offsides on the penalty kick... if the us was on the one taken away.

• Options
    The 2-0 "that's enough goals so bunker in and hold on for dear life" strategy is not working out fantastically yet again.

• Options
    That handball is gonna be controversial as fuck.

This discussion has been closed.