As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Actually, owning people like equipment and tampering with their memories is the wrong thing to do

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Do people think that the Jedi decide what the Republic does and not the other way around? How many people here would be ok with some church taking it upon themselves to administer "justice" around the world? It was obvious that Tattoine was outside of the Republics jurisdiction when nobody would take its money, but people still think the Jedi should have done something. Like what? Invade an independent polity destroy the current power structure? And then what?

• Options
    I think the Jedi should have used their abilities and resources to wage a campaign of terror and death to all slavers of every stripe and all those who oppose that action

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think the Jedi should have used their abilities and resources to wage a campaign of terror and death to all slavers of every stripe and all those who oppose that action

Yeah still need to see this:

“Guardians of peace and justice in the old republic”

https://youtu.be/MJ9Fi4izrYc

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I could be remembering wrong, or maybe my own headcanon filled this in, but I always thought the story was that the previous chancellor ordered Syfo-Dias to commission the clone army. Palpatine (who, of course, actually orchestrated it all) as the new Chancellor didn't fuss too much publically since they need an army right now.

Syfo-Dias, being dead, could not provide any corroboration to the Jedi council. And again, there being a war on, they also recognized the need for an Army and agreed to provide leadership for it.

IIRC, in the Clone Wars Syfo-Dias' name was used for the Clone Army, which is why Yoda went investigating - what did he foresee that made him create an army without anyone else knowing about it? - and the trail led him to Malichor, and visions of the Sith's victory.

But, no, there wasn't a governmental mandate or anything. It was an independent act, and it's not really clear if Syfo-Dias was the one who actually did it, or someone (Palpatine) else using his name.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The Jedi Order protected the Republic, which means maintaining the status quo, not helping people.

The Jedi Order bad.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Next you guys are going to tell me that making all your military leaders a bunch of religious virgins who might turn evil if they get too mad is a bad idea

Come on

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Obi-Wan is a retired cop

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Obi-Wan is a retired cop

The saber is a thin blue line

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Come on, please don't ruin Obi Wan for me. I can't handle this and climate change, I'm on the edge!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I only just now realized that it's pretty messed up that Anakin wanted to give his slave mom a slave to make being a slave less awful.

“There’s always a bigger fish.”

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I only just now realized that it's pretty messed up that Anakin wanted to give his slave mom a slave to make being a slave less awful.

The true lesson George wanted us to learn from the saga.

Disney > LucasFilm

Edit: hmmm maybe it looks better in this visual medium as Disney < LucasFilm. Let the debate ensue.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Man, being the left pilot in the smuggler's run ride is probably the hardest job. Need more flight sim training

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Episode 3 is still consistent, but honestly, episode 1 had the most moments that gave me that nostalgic feeling. The pod race, the battles(goofiness and git to ya shipz aside) the tension of Maul's pursuit, Tatooine, Coruscant, (puppet!) Yoda, etc. Also has a great ending.

Still think Obi-Wan would have creamed the Emperor.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Still think Obi-Wan would have creamed the Emperor.

:winky:

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, wasted opportunity for ANH special edition:

"How did my father die?"
    "Well, I had the high ground, and he tried to somersault over me, so I dismembered him and left him to burn on a flaming bed of lava."
    "...you what?"
    "Should've gone with the Vader story..."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    h1B2F5726

Awkwarrrrd....

• Options

This was a reference to Obi-Wan's habit of taking bribes from warring gangs to look the other way

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "You knew my father?"
    "Oh yes. Quite well. Remarkable man. Flammable."

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The Sith are the ones who care about freedom, albiet primarily for themselves. To the Jedi, the concept of an unquestionably loyal slave army probably just felt fundamentally correct.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Sith enslave far more than the Jedi, who are clearly anti-slavery but also pro-Republic and if the Republic has a Clone Army must have made a moral and ethical calculation of support Republic/Stay out of it and criticise Republic.

• Options
    If Jedis are so anti slavery Qui Gon Jinn would have killed and eaten Watto

• Options
    If Jedis are so anti slavery Qui Gon Jinn would have killed and eaten Watto

Maybe he did, maybe his force ghost flowed into Watto and consumed him from within

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Tattoine was in Hutt controlled space, the Jedi had no jurisdiction there.

• Options
    A cry of jurisdictional impropriety will not protect you from being blasted in half with a laser sword

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    If the Jedi went around and slew all the slavers on a given planet and then fucked off, as Jedi are wont to do, then who is now responsible for the thousands or millions of poor people now left on a world with no functioning society, or working government, un-managed infrastructure, no economy or any sort of organized defenses or protection. These former slaves left now be plunged into an anarchic society where the strong will prey on the weak and thousands will die before some sort of order will be re-established.

Overthrowing a functioning society and leaving the innocents behind to rot is the true path to the dark side.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If the Jedi went around and slew all the slavers on a given planet and then fucked off, as Jedi are wont to do, then who is now responsible for the thousands or millions of poor people now left on a world with no functioning society, or working government, un-managed infrastructure, no economy or any sort of organized defenses or protection. These former slaves left now be plunged into an anarchic society where the strong will prey on the weak and thousands will die before some sort of order will be re-established.

Overthrowing a functioning society and leaving the innocents behind to rot is the true path to the dark side.

Ah yes, it all makes sense: "The Jedi's Burden"

• Options
    I appreciate your attempt to persuade me of the benefits of a slave society please continue and also hold still as I ready this laser blaster

• Options
    I think technically they fire plasma

• Options
    I know which end atomizes slaver guts anyway

• Options
    I feel like I'd enjoy a Star Wars movie where they wrecked more slavers. I enjoyed that part of Solo

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    "You knew my father?"

"And he was a good friend."

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Do people think that the Jedi decide what the Republic does and not the other way around? How many people here would be ok with some church taking it upon themselves to administer "justice" around the world? It was obvious that Tattoine was outside of the Republics jurisdiction when nobody would take its money, but people still think the Jedi should have done something. Like what? Invade an independent polity destroy the current power structure? And then what?

They would have been greeted as liberators!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Y'all really expecting me to believe Qui-Gon gave a shit about child safety?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Y'all really expecting me to believe Qui-Gon gave a shit about younglings safety?

More than Anakin at least.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    "You knew my father?"

"And he was a good friend."
    To this day I think of him whenever someone's cooking some BBQ nearby

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I feel like I'd enjoy a Star Wars movie where they wrecked more slavers. I enjoyed that part of Solo

If TPM had a little scene of Watto using like a shock stick or something on Anakin and Qui Gon intervening. Doesn't have to whip out a lightsaber and "wreck" him -- just pulls Anakin close to him so Watto can't hurt him anymore then offers to win his freedom on the race. I think that would add a ton more subtext to the end of ROTJ when the Emperor is shocking Luke. Not only does Vader want to save his son, but he realizes he's still a slave with a different master. He can save Luke and himself like how Qui Gon saved him.

Also makes him killing the Emperor a little more understandable and brings the first and last movies together.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the “Anakin was a slave” stuff still falls apart when he’s leading his army of cloned slaves.

• Options
    And I rewatched Rogue One. All the clever little touches and references, backed up by great characters and story with almost no downtime or awkwardness, and it's arguably the best of the prequel films. It doesn't hit some of the HIGHS, but it damn sure never hits the lows.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Man, being the left pilot in the smuggler's run ride is probably the hardest job. Need more flight sim training

How many times have you been on? Is it possible to be so bad you can't 'finish' the ride?

This discussion has been closed.