As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Well-received Taiwanese indie horror game Detention (whose developers Red Candle Games went on to create Devotion, the game pulled from Steam due to complaints against it's mocking of the Chinese government) is getting a movie adaptation later this year: (cw: suicide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uibJ5Iw3Qd8

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    captaink wrote: »

I've had my eye on this one for a while, I'll definitely try a demo.

I played this.

Seems good. Very lush and detailed pixel art, as the trailer already shows. Combat is similar to games that look like this. One difference is that you can attack with X or the right stick. Right stick lets you aim more precisely. It’s more important for the second character who is an archer. Feels a little weird at first but the accuracy is necessary. Characters move kinda slow and have limited dodge rolls, so positioning is important. The first character is the dad with a sword and a shield, he gets a worse dodge but can hold up the shield to block and do some thorns damage.

At least in the demo, the only upgrade system is spending gold at the uncle’s forge to upgrade attack, health, and other attributes. Looks like there might be more later?

I haven't beat the demo. Made it to the boss with the dad but got killed pretty fast. I hope it doesn’t have the problem that made me never finish Dead Cells. I get good enough at the regular levels but the boses kill me quick and another run is 15 minutes before I get back for another try. Makes it hard to practice and is deflating.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I tried it too, it’s pretty good!

KBAM isn’t too bad (wasd movement, mouse aiming and attacking). Controller is probably better?

The first guy didn’t really click with me. I liked the second more, so seeing that there will be different styles was reassuring. The upgrade system seems potentially interesting too, but it quickly got to the point where I decided to wait until it’s a complete game before it sucks me in and leaves me waiting.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I never really liked the dad

I ended up doing pretty well with the son and the youngest daughter

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Wow, wrong thread

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Heaven's Vault was extremely good. It's a bit slow and clunky, but the story and the way you interact with the world is amazing. I need to commit to a replay of it already.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    So I just saw an ad for what looks like a mobile game, based on the show Breaking Bad! You can design your own meth lab, and organize your drug supplies, and buy clothes for your digital Walter White, and as someone who binged the show I am really really twitching angry at the world right now. If 2019 wasn't already some kind of elaborate surrealist experience, I'd be convinced it was a Tim and Eric sketch, but nope

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjwY3PS0cs
    Orange Island is a new retro single-player 8-bit action-adventure platformer game being developed by former SEGA designer Ted Sterchi.

This game is being carefully developed to be a completely authentic experience, fully created under the graphic and audio specifications of the NES.

Players will explore a vast island, swapping between five different playable characters who have their own unique magical abilities and discovering who is best suited for different areas and obstacles. This is an island that will reward the curious with plentiful secrets and hidden ancient relics to be found.

We think every kind of gamer can enjoy the experience of a slightly obtuse old-school game that's balanced to be friendlier to modern gamers.

One normal Summer vacation soon turns into a generational tale about family, friendship, hope, bravery, and our impact on the environment.

You’ll want to spend all summer here.

it's on Kickstarter now and has blown past its $19k goal

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    that looks really neat

• Options
    Spy Party
    Forager is coming to Switch and PS4 on July 30. Glad I waited, it looks like a switch game to me.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    More games coming to Xbox Game Pass

XB1/PC:

My Time at Portia
    Bad North
    GoNNER
    The Banner Saga 3
    Yoku's Island Express
    Worms W.M.D.

PC Xbox Game Pass only:

Undertale
    Timespinner
    Unavowed
    Machinarium
    For the King

I'm looking forward to trying Unavowed! And Timespinner is really good.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The means all 3 Banner Sagas will be on Game Pass now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    oh hell yes, I've been going back and forth on getting Portia for a while

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's a good game but is quite janky, so the wait may be a wise one.

But @Janson can attest to if you can push through the jank, it's quite a neat little game.

• Options
    Spy Party
    PLAY YOKU'S ISLAND EXPRESS

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Timespinner is fantastic, definitely worth a play.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It's a good game but is quite janky, so the wait may be a wise one.

But @Janson can attest to if you can push through the jank, it's quite a neat little game.

HELLO YES, does anyone need me to praise My Time at Portia I have things to say

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tell me more about your time at Portia. As a Stardew Valley fan, I too have been interested yet hesitant.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    I gotta spend more of my time at Portia

I played through the intro but haven't really gotten into the meat of the game

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Tell me more about your time at Portia. As a Stardew Valley fan, I too have been interested yet hesitant.

My wife loves it and loves Stardew. She does not love many things.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It has enough similarities to Stardew while being a very unique game in its own right.

- the similar elements are: You get gifted a homestead, you can mine, fish, fight and farm, there’s a town of people to interact with and date, and time moves at the exact same pace (a minute a second, and there are four 28 day seasons in a year).
    - the focus is definitely on building, not farming. You can actually only grow crops and trees in planter boxes, and your animals remain in their pens (and, on the Switch at least, they’re buggy and will occasionally disappear for a day).
    - unlike Stardew you start off with a tiny amount of land, which also discourages the farming aspect. You can buy bigger plots as you earn money.
    - the mining mechanic is neat.
    - the town is really interesting and fun to explore. It’s set in a post-apocalyptic world and it’s definitely a little more interesting, visually, than Stardew Valley.
    - you also get a horse, which helps with transportation (tip: you can rent a horse for only 500g per week from the local farm. This is cheap and the horse is 100% loyal to you for that week. I highly recommend going this route asap).
    - some minor improvements over a game like Stardew include: The horse follows you around, so you can hop on a bus and get off at a later stop and your horse will be there for you!
    - relationship building in the game is slow and is probably my major complaint, but you only really have to get people up to 2 hearts to receive most backstories & rewards
    - there is a sizable cast, with some very likable characters. I’d say the level of dialogue each character has is similar to Stardew Valley’s.
    - I prefer the mission system to the errands you can run in Stardew Valley. The missions in My Time at Portia generally have longer periods of time in which they can be completed (usually a week).
    - Like Stardew Valley, there are seasonal events. These are slightly more interactive than Stardew Valley’s events.
    - you don’t receive any penalties if you pass out at 3 am. ;) So it’s actually beneficial to just keep playing as long as possible.
    - It’s a decent size world. There are four major areas you unlock as you progress through the story.
    - The story is quite long and has surprising depth! There is a good 100+ hours of main story quests.
    - The only rush to complete quests comes from your in-game competition. There is a character who is written to be your nemesis (you can’t ever increase hearts with him) and he steals some of your quests if you take too long to complete them. The time limits are still very generous, however.
    - The first two mines you unlock are free of enemies, which is quite nice!
    - There’s a few fun, unique things you unlock in the game like: You build a hot balloon platform and some hot balloons and after that you can take scenic rides through the game. You turn an old cave you cleared of enemies into a ghostly grotto, complete with a shooting mini-game. Overall this helps you to feel more part of the community than in Stardew Valley.

Janson on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I looove My Time at Portia. It’s a little more similar to Rune Factory than Stardew Valley.

I am in Spring of Year 2 and I’m scrambling to make carbon steel bars for the fifty million things that require steel.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    It has enough similarities to Stardew while being a very unique game in its own right.

- the similar elements are: You get gifted a homestead, you can mine, fish, fight and farm, there’s a town of people to interact with and date, and time moves at the exact same pace (a minute a second, and there are four 28 day seasons in a year).
    - the focus is definitely on building, not farming. You can actually only grow crops and trees in planter boxes, and your animals remain in their pens (and, on the Switch at least, they’re buggy and will occasionally disappear for a day).
    - unlike Stardew you start off with a tiny amount of land, which also discourages the farming aspect. You can buy bigger plots as you earn money.
    - the mining mechanic is neat.
    - the town is really interesting and fun to explore. It’s set in a post-apocalyptic world and it’s definitely a little more interesting, visually, than Stardew Valley.
    - you also get a horse, which helps with transportation (tip: you can rent a horse for only 500g per week from the local farm. This is cheap and the horse is 100% loyal to you for that week. I highly recommend going this route asap).
    - some minor improvements over a game like Stardew include: The horse follows you around, so you can hop on a bus and get off at a later stop and your horse will be there for you!
    - relationship building in the game is slow and is probably my major complaint, but you only really have to get people up to 2 hearts to receive most backstories & rewards
    - there is a sizable cast, with some very likable characters. I’d say the level of dialogue each character has is similar to Stardew Valley’s.
    - I prefer the mission system to the errands you can run in Stardew Valley. The missions in My Time at Portia generally have longer periods of time in which they can be completed (usually a week).
    - Like Stardew Valley, there are seasonal events. These are slightly more interactive than Stardew Valley’s events.
    - you don’t receive any penalties if you pass out at 3 am. ;) So it’s actually beneficial to just keep playing as long as possible.
    - It’s a decent size world. There are four major areas you unlock as you progress through the story.
    - The story is quite long and has surprising depth! There is a good 100+ hours of main story quests.
    - The only rush to complete quests comes from your in-game competition. There is a character who is written to be your nemesis (you can’t ever increase hearts with him) and he steals some of your quests if you take too long to complete them. The time limits are still very generous, however.
    - The first two mines you unlock are free of enemies, which is quite nice!
    - There’s a few fun, unique things you unlock in the game like: You build a hot balloon platform and some hot balloons and after that you can take scenic rides through the game. You turn an old cave you cleared of enemies into a ghostly grotto, complete with a shooting mini-game. Overall this helps you to feel more part of the community than in Stardew Valley.

Can you address the aforementioned jank? Are we talking like run-of-the-mill bugs, or like sometimes your game gets deleted, or like some missions can't be completed?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I didn’t hit anything game-breaking or mission-breaking (there were originally some, but they did get fixed in the last patch).

It was mainly: long loading times, some lag, and my character would sometimes get stuck in a looking-up or looking-down position.

Janson on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    I kinda want to get back into My Time At Portia but it's been a while and i've forgotten everything so i'd probably be better off starting over. And 129 hours is a lot to redo.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I felt like it ended pretty weakly and some of the courses weren't all that great, but it was a pretty fun time while it lasted! I wouldn't put it in a top 10 of metroidvanias and don't really know how it would stack up against pinball boards, but as its own thing it stands out as something worth trying. Especially if you can get it for "free", like with the game pass.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Neveron wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I felt like it ended pretty weakly and some of the courses weren't all that great, but it was a pretty fun time while it lasted! I wouldn't put it in a top 10 of metroidvanias and don't really know how it would stack up against pinball boards, but as its own thing it stands out as something worth trying. Especially if you can get it for "free", like with the game pass.

yeah it's such a charming game, I really need to go back to it

• Options
    Spy Party
    I didn't cancel my Humble Monthly so here's a copy of Moonlighter

Loading...?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Spy Party
    Here's Minit from a bit ago

Loading...?

And if someone could post that Call of Duty way to redeem, I'll throw that on here. got it, it's in the PC games thread

captaink on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Thanks for minit!!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    captaink wrote: »
    I didn't cancel my Humble Monthly so here's a copy of Moonlighter

Loading...?

I claimed this one! Thanks, it's a game that I've been wanting to try for awhile now!

• Options
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Aw fuck
    Ah shit
    I'm gonna buy Transistor a third time

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Oh no, coasters, my weakness

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Spy Party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

River City Girls, by WayForward, coming September 5th

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    DayZ
    Wayforward is great.
    I loved double dragon neon.
    I wonder if they will get Jake Kaufman to compose again?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The character designs there feel kind of bland to me, but the sprite work looks sick enough to make up for it, and WayForward gameplay is generally super solid

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's once again election season in Fallen London! They'll be unveiling the candidates over the weekend, and the first is:

Mrs. Plenty runs the Circus in Fallen London and is definitely not a reformed cultist who once looked for the hidden identity of a betrayed spirit of vengeance

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Also, they're still doing Exceptional Stories for people who sign up for the monthly subscription. The last one included a lovely hog named Priscilla, a visit to an exclusive gala held in a winery based on mushrooms, a flu that forces you to rhyme, and ancient sidereal engines kept sedated by liquid sadness

kg1jcyi08a60.png

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.