As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] Those wonderful little titles that slip through the cracks

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm just messing with you. I, too, want to have a Zelda game where I play as Zelda.

Horizon?

I loved Horizon but it's not quite the same. I'd love a Link to the Past Zelda game featuring Zelda.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I'm afraid that the series where you actually get to play as Zelda has to be named the Legend of Link.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Should I buy Flinthook? It's on sale on the Switch this week. Naturally I ask this with the game sitting uninstalled on Steam. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I really liked Flinhook and even bought the physical version because I knew I liked it when I bought it back on ps4.

I got much further on Switch than I had before, and towards the end, the difficulty was a turn off. It's a great Bionic Commando style shooter, but I felt like the platforming and stage hazards on the later levels required a dexterity that the controls just did not match.

That being said, I really enjoyed the first half of the game, the music is great, and the pixel art is phenomenal. I even enjoyed the rogue like elements and the unlock system for gaining new edges on certain things. It captured the spirit of a space bounty hunter game well, and the procedural generated aspects did not bother me as they do in some games.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I know you absolutely HAVE to use a controller for it, so on Steam that would be a requirement.

I found the controls work great once you grasp them. But I absolutely loved the game. Enough to make a thread about it long ago. The difficulty does get pretty extreme, especially the third boss. There is stuff to make yourself stronger but unlike some rogue likes / lites that came out around the same time, you never really will get the ability to overpower things.

I would say even unfinished though it is worth the price of admission. Plays pretty damn unique IMO.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    vbeo5wi0svs3.jpg

I continue to play Nite Team 4, grow to hate Nite Team 4, give up on it and then slowly get dragged back into its orbit.

It's a lot of fun but also sometimes it's just a brick wall to bash your head against.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That screen looks busy, even without the olde textbook layered on top of it.

• Options
    You get four panels to spread stuff out over. It tends to lead to a messy workspace but it’s still very workable ui.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Super Animal Royale is dropping a huge update tomorrow, and it will be a squads weekend also.

If you like BR games and impossibly cute animals (murdering each other) in coconut bras and hats... come check it out.

(There is a free version, but you have to pay to form parties or USE any cosmetics you get)

Edit: Also it’s out on Humble Bundle today for 15% off the full version.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Oh hey Cyan’s new game Firmament hit their goal on Kickstarter at the last minute. And, of importance to me, they hit the stretch goal to make a Mac version

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So recently I've been playing a lot of Starsector a cool sandboxy top-down strategic space sim game. It's been around for awhile and its features keep stacking up and the level of polish increasing.

I've also been playing Battle Brothers which just received a DLC expansion adding northern barbarians. It's a Germanically themed low-fantasy setting where you take on the role of a mercenary band of some variety trying to make money and grow. Its gameplay is turn-based and it has charming sort of board-piece style look for characters in combat.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden? It looks like an interesting take on XCOM but I have been hesitant to drop that much money on it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    furlion wrote: »
    Has anyone played Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden? It looks like an interesting take on XCOM but I have been hesitant to drop that much money on it.

It's very good for a while, but then the enemies start power creeping and your equipment just....doesn't, so you start falling very far behind. And the game is set up such that you're supposed to sneak around bases and pick off enemies one-by-one before they notice you're there so you can whittle down their numbers. But eventually, the enemies have so much health and your weapons do so little comparative damage, that you literally CAN'T pick off anybody cause you only get one turn to do it and if you don't kill them in that one turn they alert everybody around. And then you're fucked, because they have a lot of health and there are lot of enemies and they can call reinforcements and revive themselves.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So it's reverse difficulty curve XCOM? That sounds miserable.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So it's reverse difficulty curve XCOM? That sounds miserable.

It's a shame, cause it's really good until you hit that wall.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's very good for a while, but then the enemies start power creeping and your equipment just....doesn't, so you start falling very far behind. And the game is set up such that you're supposed to sneak around bases and pick off enemies one-by-one before they notice you're there so you can whittle down their numbers. But eventually, the enemies have so much health and your weapons do so little comparative damage, that you literally CAN'T pick off anybody cause you only get one turn to do it and if you don't kill them in that one turn they alert everybody around. And then you're fucked, because they have a lot of health and there are lot of enemies and they can call reinforcements and revive themselves.

This is interesting, because this kiiiiind of mirrors my experience, in the sense that stealthily picking off individual units before a fight definitely stopped being a focus halfway through.

But also I totally found the later fights way easier despite the increased enemy health and numbers because your units’ special skills get bonkers and while I wasn’t wasting enemies in one shot, I was still doing good damage

By and large I actually like mutant year zero quite a bit more than XCOM, but I’m hardly a strategy aficionado

• Options
    Well now I am even more conflicted. I will let the price come down a little more before I pick it up.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Just started playing Hollow Knight since it's on Game Pass. Is it one of those games that takes some time before it clicks? Or did the people that liked it fall in love right away? Because I'm kinda "meh" about it so far.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Well now I am even more conflicted. I will let the price come down a little more before I pick it up.

It's in the MS PC game pass. So if you get in on that trial, you can play it for $1 for a month.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

It was one of the best games last year. The difficulty curve stuff is easily solved just through exploration and making sure to upgrade the silenced weapons first.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    Just started playing Hollow Knight since it's on Game Pass. Is it one of those games that takes some time before it clicks? Or did the people that liked it fall in love right away? Because I'm kinda "meh" about it so far.
    At first, I was extremely angry at having to buy the components of the mapping system. It meant that the first thing in the dang game that I had to do was grind for money, all the while feeling anxious because I didn't have a map to guide me to safety if I needed it.

I kept playing partially out of a stubborn "fuck YOU, game, I'll show you" feeling, and partially because I did fall in love with the character design and especially the sound design. Every unique little murmur and utterance from the NPCs made me want to keep playing to hear more.

After I built out the mapping system, my annoyance thawed gradually, and I started getting more and more into the world, the presentation, and the game systems. It's now one of my favorite games (although I still think that first ~hour was bullshit).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    The mapping system in Hollow Knight is brilliant. It adds such a great level of tension to the game, especially early on.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight is a gem, but it takes some time to really appreciate it. After the second boss the game opens up and the tutorial part is over. It is here where you really need to use the map, so focus on getting the money as the part untill the second boss is quite linear.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I bounced hard off it. I really wanted to like it, but there was too much bullshit that made things artificially difficult (including the map system). Trying to fight a tough boss without a save point nearby finally broke me.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The mapping system in Hollow Knight is brilliant. It adds such a great level of tension to the game, especially early on.
    This is one of those scenarios where I don't disagree with you, but I still want to fight you in the streets. (I don't actually want to fight you in the streets.)

I think it's fair to say that individual game mechanics, or systems of game mechanics, are designed to create a certain intended experience or elicit some intended emotion. If those mechanics can create the intended experience/emotion, they can be considered successful. If they do this in some elegant* and/or clever* way (* - words intentionally left vague), we can call the mechanics brilliant.

The mapping system - starting without any map at all; having to buy a quill to turn on the ability to fill in missing parts of the map; the map not auto-updating until you get to a save point; having to buy map markers for points of interest (NPCs, etc); having to use up one of your special ability slots in order to make your current location show up on the map; most importantly, not having a map in a new area until you find Cornifer and buy it - is clearly designed to make the player feel like they're venturing out into the wild frontier. You're out there in the Great Unknown without a fallback safety zone, you can absolutely get lost and eaten alive by some beastie, and you have no one to rely on but yourself (like, you yourself, the player). The feeling of intense relief that you get when you find Cornifer is palpable, and the relief you feel when you find a bench after that is double-palpable. Now you've established a foothold in the zone, now you can retreat and regroup here if you need to. They absolutely nailed the emotional whirlwind they were going for, and they did it in a fairly elegant way. There's even an interesting element of player choice: if you are pro enough, and know the game world well enough that you feel like you won't get lost, you can remove the Compass (which makes your current location show up on the map) to free up one of your special ability slots for something else; I used this when fighting bosses that were close enough to a bench that I felt secure enough that I wouldn't get lost.

And, I hate all of it! The anxiety that I feel without the map, without my current location on the map, is deep and visceral. It's not a "Ooh, how dangerous, I might get eaten by a grue, the frisson is adding a bit of spice to my game!", it's more like "Oh my fuck Jesus shitting fuck fuck where is that humming sonofabitch I'm gonna vomit". The fact that there's a very non-trivial consequence to getting lost and dying - potentially losing your money, having to spend either time or a Rancid Egg to recover my shade - amplifies this anxiety by orders of magnitude. Mind you, this is very much a me thing! I totally believe that for plenty of people, this adds a joyous thrill to the game, motivates them, immerses them, etc. For me, though, it actively detracts from my play. I think that for me, personally, the experience would be considerably improved if they just gave me the entire map from the get-go. Honestly, I'd even be willing to put up with all the other inconveniences if they just gave you Cornifer's map of a zone the second you enter it.

I think it's a testament to how much I grew to love this game that I kept playing it, despite the fact that this mapping things fucks me up so much.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I bounced hard off it. I really wanted to like it, but there was too much bullshit that made things artificially difficult (including the map system). Trying to fight a tough boss without a save point nearby finally broke me.
    One of the interesting things that I noticed as a mid-thirties adult with little free time is that many things that I used to love as a young man - big sprawling worlds, verbose dialogue, arcane game mechanics that demand system mastery - now come off as time-wasting irritants. When I was in college, it wasn't really a big deal to die in a game and then have to walk back to where I died; I vividly remember corpse-running the Barrens probably half a dozen times in WoW when I very stubbornly attempted to solo that samophlange quest while too low a level. Now, though, something like that feels like a personal insult, an imposition on my intensely precious time that I simply cannot countenance, and - in some cases - reason enough for me to drop the game and not return.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    This is one of those scenarios where I don't disagree with you, but I still want to fight you in the streets. (I don't actually want to fight you in the streets.)

I think it's fair to say that individual game mechanics, or systems of game mechanics, are designed to create a certain intended experience or elicit some intended emotion. If those mechanics can create the intended experience/emotion, they can be considered successful. If they do this in some elegant* and/or clever* way (* - words intentionally left vague), we can call the mechanics brilliant.

The mapping system - starting without any map at all; having to buy a quill to turn on the ability to fill in missing parts of the map; the map not auto-updating until you get to a save point; having to buy map markers for points of interest (NPCs, etc); having to use up one of your special ability slots in order to make your current location show up on the map; most importantly, not having a map in a new area until you find Cornifer and buy it - is clearly designed to make the player feel like they're venturing out into the wild frontier. You're out there in the Great Unknown without a fallback safety zone, you can absolutely get lost and eaten alive by some beastie, and you have no one to rely on but yourself (like, you yourself, the player). The feeling of intense relief that you get when you find Cornifer is palpable, and the relief you feel when you find a bench after that is double-palpable. Now you've established a foothold in the zone, now you can retreat and regroup here if you need to. They absolutely nailed the emotional whirlwind they were going for, and they did it in a fairly elegant way. There's even an interesting element of player choice: if you are pro enough, and know the game world well enough that you feel like you won't get lost, you can remove the Compass (which makes your current location show up on the map) to free up one of your special ability slots for something else; I used this when fighting bosses that were close enough to a bench that I felt secure enough that I wouldn't get lost.

And, I hate all of it! The anxiety that I feel without the map, without my current location on the map, is deep and visceral. It's not a "Ooh, how dangerous, I might get eaten by a grue, the frisson is adding a bit of spice to my game!", it's more like "Oh my fuck Jesus shitting fuck fuck where is that humming sonofabitch I'm gonna vomit". The fact that there's a very non-trivial consequence to getting lost and dying - potentially losing your money, having to spend either time or a Rancid Egg to recover my shade - amplifies this anxiety by orders of magnitude. Mind you, this is very much a me thing! I totally believe that for plenty of people, this adds a joyous thrill to the game, motivates them, immerses them, etc. For me, though, it actively detracts from my play. I think that for me, personally, the experience would be considerably improved if they just gave me the entire map from the get-go. Honestly, I'd even be willing to put up with all the other inconveniences if they just gave you Cornifer's map of a zone the second you enter it.

I think it's a testament to how much I grew to love this game that I kept playing it, despite the fact that this mapping things fucks me up so much.

I agree with you about needing to buy a piece of equipment to see your position on the map. I think that was a mistake.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I didn't like it at first, but looking back I'm perfectly fine with it. I thought it was a cool way to help you progress and get used to your surroundings while feeling the threat of exploring the unexplored before.

Hollow Knight is top tier metroidvania though so, keep pushing my friend.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    One of the interesting things that I noticed as a mid-thirties adult with little free time is that many things that I used to love as a young man - big sprawling worlds, verbose dialogue, arcane game mechanics that demand system mastery - now come off as time-wasting irritants. When I was in college, it wasn't really a big deal to die in a game and then have to walk back to where I died; I vividly remember corpse-running the Barrens probably half a dozen times in WoW when I very stubbornly attempted to solo that samophlange quest while too low a level. Now, though, something like that feels like a personal insult, an imposition on my intensely precious time that I simply cannot countenance, and - in some cases - reason enough for me to drop the game and not return.

Same thing for me and difficult Soulslike games. Yes, I *know* if I die at the same section over and over and over and over I'll eventually be able to see the tells and be able to dodge and all that crap, but I don't have time to do that kind of thing anymore.

(Please let's not do the "Souls games aren't actually hard" argument)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

Agree with all of this.

I suspect I’ll come back around in 10-20 years tho. Just think, guys, our nursing homes are gonna be RAD.

So many quality board games now, great portable systems, cool local multiplayer games.

I can’t wait.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I keep buying all these games on sale, thinking "Aw hell yeah, in like 20 years I'm gonna have free time to just sit down and play all this" - except of course I'm buying exponentially more and more games each year, and already have more games than I can possibly play through in my lifetime.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight took a while to click and eventually it did

then it unclicked HARD (I really hate difficult parkor (sp?) jumping especially when you're already a bit floaty and especially especially when missing one jump sets you all the way back.

I'm replaying it on the Switch now with the pro controller and the combat is fine .... I'm hoping the eventual jump puzzles don't turn me off again.

• Options
    Looks like the Switch is getting two indie knock-off Mega Man and Contra games this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhLaH4zUfVc
    Metaloid $9.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZP1UnV7Ib8
    Blazing Chrome $16.99

I know they've both been on PC for a while, but I haven't played either. Any thoughts from people who tried them out already?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Sorry, wrong topic.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Still addicted to Dead Cells on both PC and Switch.
    Also Hollow Knight I am struggling to get into but I REALLY want to love it so I am persevering.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Hollow Knight took a while to click and eventually it did

then it unclicked HARD (I really hate difficult parkor (sp?) jumping especially when you're already a bit floaty and especially especially when missing one jump sets you all the way back.

I'm replaying it on the Switch now with the pro controller and the combat is fine .... I'm hoping the eventual jump puzzles don't turn me off again.

Which jumping puzzles? The only section that really stood out for me platforming wise was
    The White Palace, which is quite late and technically optional unless your going for the better endings.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5WHtgZx4RA

The demo was real good. It's getting decent reviews, but most say that the combat is shallow, while the magic and abilities either leave you open to attacks for little reward or just aren't useful. The art style creativity and animation though... I'll probably end up getting it regardless.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hand Of Fate 2 has got it's claws
    Questor wrote: »
    Still addicted to Dead Cells on both PC and Switch.
    Also Hollow Knight I am struggling to get into but I REALLY want to love it so I am persevering.

Glad I'm not the only one who double-dipped, it's fantastic on the go and for longer sessions

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead cells was pretty awesome especially at that price but anyone interested getting the platinum/all of the achievements should steer clear of public spaces. The rage is real especially since you start all the way over unlike, say, a souls like. I did it but it was pretty maddening.

• Options
    I want to talk about an oldie, but a goodie. That game would be Dream Quest. I’ve been playing it for a long time and have unlocked everything but the final achievement, which is to reduce the final boss to 0hp.

I’ve only defeated the final boss once and that was by cheesing him out with the professor after using the zombie bite to kill him. So while I grind through the game, I wonder if it’s even possible on any given run to beat him or if it’s RNG based?

I just finished a run with the Thief where I had a set-up that would draw my entire deck via action cards, dealing damage via x2 Great Bow and x4 weakness, and generating 82% dodge and a shield for damage done. After turn 1, I had dealt 120 damage and had an 80 health shield. His biggest ability was the “you must or mustn’t play a card with this letter or lose 5 max hp”.

After 5 turns, I got him down to 400ish health with a 400 shield. It was happening! Then he declared, no cards that start with S. Fuck!

Slice, Slice, Skewer, Skewer, Swiftness, Swiftness

The run ended a few turns later as I tried desperately to squeak out the last damage while playing as few S cards as possible. But alas, I died with him down at 200ish health.

In my frustration, I took to the internet to find answers, but only found a few Reddit threads with vague strategies for beating the final boss. Mostly just card lists and hope you get lucky.

Have any of you beaten the final boss? Was it all just luck or is their always a chance?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page