As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] how do I apply to join Team Yell

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I wanted to mention:

Yesterday I was out at a podunk wal-mart looking for some toys, and I saw two Switch boxes in the electronics department. thy were the SUPER BRIGHT RED boxes that signals the new hardware revision with better battery life.

So.. the box really stands out if you know what you're looking for. Just a sea of red.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wait, so the new improved battery Switches are already out?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Wait, so the new improved battery Switches are already out?

I swear, the box was super red. And as far as I know, that's how you tell the new ones from the old.

The back had a very distinct picture of the joy-cons in black on the red background. I can't find any images of the back of the new Switch box to confirm that's the longer battery model.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    vu80mrl3h6pm.jpg

Vs

9l6p3nd0787w.jpg

• Options
    Okay, looks like I'm going hunting in Walmart and Target this week. Or maybe next, need to meet with the folks since they did say they'd help chip in as part of a very long delayed birthday gift.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I definitely saw a bunch at my local Iowa Target, so they're out there for sure

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

what if I...bought a Wii U

I feel like the HD Zelda games and TMS and stuff will never actually go to another system

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Okay, looks like I'm going hunting in Walmart and Target this week. Or maybe next, need to meet with the folks since they did say they'd help chip in as part of a very long delayed birthday gift.

Fair warning, the battery life is the only improvement. Performance seems to be identical - one test I saw even had Korok Forest running faster on the original model at times.

The battery life's a big upgrade, though, and if you don't already have a Switch (or need to buy a second one for whatever reason) there's not really any reason not to grab the red box.

Unless you want to jailbreak it, I guess? I dunno if they fixed the short-circuit reboot issue in this new model.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    If you get a Wii U, I recommend Wonderful 101. Also Bayonetta 2, but maybe get it on Switch if you already have one of those.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    What are there for good Wii U exclusives, anyway? Wonderful 101, 3D Mario World? It feels like most of the worthwhile stuff got ported to the Switch in one way or another, but there's definitely still some gaps.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    What are there for good Wii U exclusives, anyway? Wonderful 101, 3D Mario World? It feels like most of the worthwhile stuff got ported to the Switch in one way or another, but there's definitely still some gaps.

There's also Pikmin 3. I never played it, but I'm under the impression that people liked it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

There's also Pikmin 3. I never played it, but I'm under the impression that people liked it.

XCX as well. Might be a bit hit or miss on that one.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pikmin 3 was good but there was one split in half item and one half disappeared so I could never 100% it.

The move to even heavier focus on medium sized screens over a huge overworld was a little weird, too. I liked the wonder of exploring a big 'ol world in Pikmin 1 and you get way less of that with screen based or dungeon based gameplay.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    tokyo mirage sessions

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

Fair warning, the battery life is the only improvement. Performance seems to be identical - one test I saw even had Korok Forest running faster on the original model at times.

The battery life's a big upgrade, though, and if you don't already have a Switch (or need to buy a second one for whatever reason) there's not really any reason not to grab the red box.

Unless you want to jailbreak it, I guess? I dunno if they fixed the short-circuit reboot issue in this new model.

I don't have a Switch yet, was waiting for this one

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't know why I'm tempted to get a Switch Lite

it just seems convenient to have! if I could be guaranteed that it was in any was easy to playing games across two systems I probably would, but I doubt they're gonna be doing any kind of cloud save autoupload/download so you can hop between Switches

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they don't even support cloud saves on a bunch of games, so it's less guaranteed to be easy and more guaranteed to be impossible

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Wind Waker HD, some kind of Xenoblade 1 and X bundle

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also if you don't have a working Wii the WiiU does have full back compat

Have to buy the proper controllers though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Wii U also has a virtual console, unlike the Switch.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    only console that lets you buy gba games in the modern age

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The wii u can play nearly every zelda game

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's bizarre and annoying that Nintendo went from the most thorough backwards compatibility (with their handhelds and the Wii's VC) to nearly zero with the Switch. Suddenly Xbox destroys them in this area.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think there's a strong argument to be made based on history that Nintendo values the ability to slow roll VC releases in order to try to make each one more of an event and drive sales that way.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Also, isn't the switch a whole new architecture for them, making porting things from their library more difficult?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    I unlocked the desert area in the game I'm playing so now I can get on with my Life

• Options
    It's bizarre and annoying that Nintendo went from the most thorough backwards compatibility (with their handhelds and the Wii's VC) to nearly zero with the Switch. Suddenly Xbox destroys them in this area.
    Elaro wrote: »
    Also, isn't the switch a whole new architecture for them, making porting things from their library more difficult?

Exactly. Nintendo's used the same architecture base from the N64 through the Wii U, and for at least the Game Boy Advance through the 3DS. This is why they were able to do hardware-based emulation.

Switch dropped that.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think nintendo is extremely capable of writing emulators for the switch if it was a priority for them, which it is not

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Okay, so this week I'll be on the hunt for the new Switch and I've also got a list of some other stuff to pick up with it, though probably not all at the same time.

- Switch
    - Game (probably Fire Emblem)
    - SD card (100+ I guess? Probably should be more)
    - Screen protector (I'll scout brands)
    - Carrying case (lower priority)
    - Proper controller (I'll give the joycons a go first but chances are I'll pick up a third-party controller)

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I think nintendo is extremely capable of writing emulators for the switch if it was a priority for them, which it is not

It can run android, which can run emulators

I think the main thing is Nintendo wants to preserve games as they ran originally, with slowdown and such, vs just running it through an emulator on modern hardware that doesn't have those issues

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Okay, so this week I'll be on the hunt for the new Switch and I've also got a list of some other stuff to pick up with it, though probably not all at the same time.

- Switch
    - Game (probably Fire Emblem)
    - SD card (100+ I guess? Probably should be more)
    - Screen protector (I'll scout brands)
    - Carrying case (lower priority)
    - Proper controller (I'll give the joycons a go first but chances are I'll pick up a third-party controller)

this is still the go to screen protector as far as I am aware

and I highly recommend a pro controller as your actual controller if you can afford it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you already have a ps4 or xbone controller the 8bitdo dongle thing works pretty well.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    If you already have a ps4 or xbone controller the 8bitdo dongle thing works pretty well.

Yeah that's my current thought, since I love my PS4 controller and it working on Switch is gravy

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i really like the power-a wireless gamecube controller for my switch, but it taking double a's is a hard sell for prople

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I played some cuphead yesterday, only had time to get through the first run and gun level

Its hard but also really fun and beating the level felt awesome, definitely gonna have to buy it when I get a switch

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    • Unique Blockchain Private-Keys – Each purchased copy of the game will have unique IDs which will be managed directly through the game’s internal wallet storage. Players will be able to focus on Cooking Mama’s user experience rather than cryptographic key management.
    Fuckin' what?! Why would they step away from the heart of the Cooking Mama series like that???

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you can swing it the Pro Controller is fantastic

But it's like $80 new so also I understand if you can't spend that amount

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah if you can swing it the Pro Controller is fantastic

But it's like $80 new so also I understand if you can't spend that amount

I just got the new 8bitdo pro controller and it seems nice, and only $50. I've only had it a couple days though, so no long term impressions yet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What size memory card should i be looking to get? I know the Switch downloads everything, so 256GB probably wouldn't suffice

This discussion has been closed.