As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mod Approved: Pitch Your PAX Location Idea Thread

2»

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Wow. Care to be more of an ass?

Sure, Although I don't know if I can match [url=]your[/url] supirior list of PAX related companies/events that happen in that lovley state of yours.

I can try to though.

Fuck,
    ran
    out
    of
    clevor
    things
    to
    say
    so
    im
    wasting
    space
    now

Holy crap it took me way longer to make that than to search for the companies :P

oops, also forgot http://www.penny-arcade.com

FyreWulff wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    and if they had anything at all to do with gaming and gaming culture...

Yeah, just like LA. Which has EA, and uh...

EA Sports.

lol
    You really want to do this dance again?

CA also has activision and blizzard.

Lets see...

EA
    Activision
    Blizzard

Looks like we accounted for 80% of gaming right there :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Well now Activision and Blizzard are one company.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok... so EA & Activision Blizzard... Looks like we accounted for 80% of gaming right there.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    all i gotta say is why move to the east coast when there have been no problems where it is currently? look how big PAX has gotten based on where its located currently.

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    all i gotta say is why move to the east coast when there have been no problems where it is currently? look how big PAX has gotten based on where its located currently.

I think this is garnering ideas for a second location.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    If you had read our Facts About Montana, you would know that it isn't a place we like to pass through, let alone someplace we would want to spend a weekend.

Wow no one really got my intended humor I guess? Yeah I DEFINITELY didn't realize you guys didn't like Montana. I DEFINITELY thought all those threads about Montana were positive. DEFINITELY.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm from Florida, the farthest state from Washington and I still think PAX should stay in Seattle. The trek doesn't bother me. Hell the trek gave me one of the best and at the same time worst times of my life. I hate the idea of being able to drive 45 minutes to PAX.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, PAX will never leave Seattle. This thread is just speculation on where we would want a second PAX, should such a thing ever happen (which if it did, it probably wouldn't happen for another four or five years at least).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys, guys.

DisneyPAX. EpcotPAX.

I want to ride on Space Mountain drunk, whilst playing anything competitively on a DS or PSP.

We're big enough now to do it up right at Mickey's house methinks.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Karenna wrote: »
    Guys, guys.

DisneyPAX. EpcotPAX.

I want to ride on Space Mountain drunk, whilst playing anything competitively on a DS or PSP.

We're big enough now to do it up right at Mickey's house methinks.

Idk... I don't see PA as being very "Disney".

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not to mention the kind of additional cost they'd want to tack on to PAX.

Aydr on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well I posted about this a long time ago and it was already debated over by everyone in this thread, but since the other thread is gone I'll repost my idea.

PAX 2: The PAXening!

It is a eastern location that is a central location for the east hub of PA fans. It is located in a hub of highways (although traffic often sucks it usually isn't terrible on the weekends).

Convention Centers: Washington Convention Center Good location close to the DC Mall (here's a map)

Airport: Reagan National Airport is located in D.C. and is on the metro line. You could fly into DC and not even need a cab. Can't beat that deal.

Hotels: There are a ton of nice hotels in the area.

Food: Lots of great places to eat in DC.

Attractions: Feel like seeing the city while at PAX? D.C. has a lot of awesome FREE stuff to see and do. Plus other cool stuff that costs money.

I know some people were concerned about crime, but I lived there for 5 years without a problem. They have increased police presence for conventions like any city and if you're smart about it then you'll be fine.

Anyways, I hope this was an informative pitch. For the record I'd be just as happy with Chicago.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got the perfect idea - one that wouldn't cause mass Enforcer drop-out, and still be near two of the biggest game publishers in the world: Bremerton! Just a ferry-ride away from Seattle, hotels are cheaper there, and it's where the navy hangs out, so it fits a Shenmue theme ("I'm looking for some sailors...") And it'll definitely give the "PAX is taking over the city" feeling - Kitsap County actually banned Lollapalooza from ever returning because Lollapalooza II had too many people. PAX'd be all over the local papers, and everyone would be talking about it. PAX could be held at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds, where they've got a top-quality rodeo arena - great for that "Bull Hero" round of the Omegathon. While there is no Gameworks located in Bremerton, there *is* an arcade still living in the Kitsap Mall.

And just think, after we've taken over the city, we can take over the naval bases - and once we've got our own fleet of battleships and nuclear submarines, just think where PAX could go!

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PAX could be held at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds

um... what?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And just think, after we've taken over the city, we can take over the naval bases - and once we've got our own fleet of battleships and nuclear submarines, just think where PAX could go!

First, Washington..
    Then, THE WORLD!!!
    Muwhahahaha.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shoot why not just get to the heart of it and get Tokyo PAX. I know I want to get some Nintendo swag. We can have PAX at Tokyo Big Sight and just think it is only a few miles away from Shibuya. SQUEEEE. Oh and Japan has robots so that takes care of enforcers. :roll:

/i<3Seattle

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We should move PAX to Germany so maybe Valve would show up.

North on
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Brussels.

Seriously, I like Seattle. While New York would save me a few hours of flying, Seattle's great. I'd still spend somewhere near 12 hours in the air anyway.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Toronto

We have the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in the heart of downtown.

A vibrant city with tons of hotels within walking distance, and a good subway, streetcar and bus system.

Pearson International Airport is just a limo (cheaper than cab) ride away for a small cost ($30-$50, can't remember).

Legal drinking age is 19.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    Aydr wrote: »
    You know where a good place to have a second PAX is?

Seattle.

Or after 2009, put it in the new Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre.
    http://www.vcec.ca/

Chicago does sound decent for an Eastern sojourn though.

as fun as it was the one time i made it into Canada i dunno if it would work out. From what i understand Canada doesn't like to let even minor criminals into the country anymore. I heard this story about this guy who got married and had a honeymoon planed for Canada. they took boat there and then on arrival the detained him and deported him cause he had a DUI on his record...

this isn't some random thing i heard on the net either. this was my neighbors friend.

I also heard that Canada is in the habit of taking over US criminal records after they become invalid here. So even though i have had the charges dismissed i may not be able to make it into Canada ever again... >.>

Not to mention those bench warrants... >.>

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soularis wrote: »
    b0wser wrote: »
    Aydr wrote: »
    You know where a good place to have a second PAX is?

Seattle.

Or after 2009, put it in the new Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre.
    http://www.vcec.ca/

Chicago does sound decent for an Eastern sojourn though.

as fun as it was the one time i made it into Canada i dunno if it would work out. From what i understand Canada doesn't like to let even minor criminals into the country anymore. I heard this story about this guy who got married and had a honeymoon planed for Canada. they took boat there and then on arrival the detained him and deported him cause he had a DUI on his record...

this isn't some random thing i heard on the net either. this was my neighbors friend.

I also heard that Canada is in the habit of taking over US criminal records after they become invalid here. So even though i have had the charges dismissed i may not be able to make it into Canada ever again... >.>

Not to mention those bench warrants... >.>

You might have to try and check with a Canadian consulate and your local police for more information.

Funny thing about Canada is, after overstaying his visa, some Chinese kingpin was granted refugee status before being granted citizenship. He got repatriated after entering the wrong country later on.

I'm sure the United States does it to the same extent. I don't know how severe it is but I'm certain they check to see that every visitor has a clean record since birth, especially with the current state of immigration and custom securities. Most records with a black mark pretty much mean permanent inadmission (aka travel ban).

And I'm sure most Vancouverites can afford to head to Seattle considering how close the Van Metro is to the border, aside from headaches coming from international travel (passport requirements starting this year).

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    My vote is for the Baltimore Convention Center

Right downtown and attached to hotels. Also attached by skywalk to the Inner Harbor.

It's a great place to hold a convention (I know it hosts Otakon (sp?) every year).

I live in Baltimore but I have not been here long so I don't know much about places like game design schools and gaming friendly places. There are nearby Dave and Busters and Bethesda is located in uh... Bethesda Maryland.

Dave and busters in Hanover is 12.7 miles or 19 minutes away from the BCC

Bethesda Softworks is 45 miles or 53 minutes away from the BCC

I came up empty looking for a video game place like Gameworks here in Maryland, BUT, there is a Gameworks in Chicago.

Firaxis studios and big huge games is also located in maryland, albeit not next door to the baltimore convention center.

Also, a hotel with an enclosed walkway connecting it to the BCC should be completed by this october.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just come to Victoria, BC so I don't have to travel. Fuck everyone else

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just come to Victoria, BC so I don't have to travel. Fuck everyone else

Right... because holding PAX in BC would make so much sense...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, a hotel with an enclosed walkway connecting it to the BCC should be completed by this october.

Because walking a block outside in the temperate Seattle summer is so much worse? :P I'd rather get a fresh breath of air at least once a day during a convention where I'll be spending my other 23 hours and 55 minutes inside.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay everybody, we're getting close to the official PAX announcements, and things are picking up around here, so I'm going to lock this thread. Expect it back after next PAX when the forum slows down again (if you're all wel behaved in the interim).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.