Irond Will wrote: »
    I'm excitedly waiting for "Dune, Where's My Car"

get off the stage

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had an epiphany on the way in.

The entire Paul / Sting knife fight set to the Police's "Don't stand so close to me". The entire fight, maybe with some extra reaction shots.. could be the music video.

is it wrong that this is making me giddy ?

and, i would love to see Patrick Stewart back in it. I enjoy his work. I recently got to watch a movie of his again "Safe House".. and I enjoy it greatly when its on. That movie, and him, rocks.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »

The entire Paul / Sting knife fight set to the Police's "Don't stand so close to me". The entire fight, maybe with some extra reaction shots.. could be the music video.

and, i would love to see Patrick Stewart back in it. I enjoy his work. I recently got to watch a movie of his again "Safe House".. and I enjoy it greatly when its on. That movie, and him, rocks.

Is that the one were he's a spy who's suffering from alzheimer's?

OT: They need to make Dune less like epic sci-fi and more like a political thriller. Because really that's what most of it is.

Apostate on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apostate wrote: »

OT: They need to make Dune less like epic sci-fi and more like a political thriller. Because really that's what most of it is.

yes... until it turns out
    its all true!

Really.. I thought he was superb as a man loosing his grip on what he thought was real... the scene where the maid helps him with his 'under attack' situation was really one of my favs of all time.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dune set in present times would be cool. (of course, you know it would be interpreted as an anti-bush tirade) problem is. spice is analogous to oil. But you really can't have the main character gulping down some oil to expand his awareness or to become prescient
    ...or could you???

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Apostate wrote: »

yes... until it turns out
    its all true!

Really.. I thought he was superb as a man loosing his grip on what he thought was real... the scene where the maid helps him with his 'under attack' situation was really one of my favs of all time.

Yeah I really enjoyed that movie. It was one of those I stumbled onto on some movie channel while flipping through channels one day. Probably one of Stewart's better roles actually.

Apostate on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My dream cast.

House Atreides
    Duke Leto Atreides I--Viggo Mortensen
    Lady Jessica--Cate Blanchett (I know, I know...no more major LotR players, I promise)
    Paul Atreides--James Franco
    Duncan Idaho--James Marsters
    Gurney Halleck--Christopher Walken (You know he has to be in here somewhere after Weapon Of Choice)
    Thufir Hawat--John Malkovich
    Dr. Yueh--Alan Rickman

House Harkonnen
    Vladimir Harkonnen--Robbie Coltrane
    Rabban Harkonnen--Ethan Suplee
    Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen--Orlando Bloom (Hey, sorry.)
    Piter de Vries--Brad Dourif

The Emperor's House
    Emperor Shaddam IV--Christopher Lee
    Princess Irulan--Scarlett Johansson

The Fremen
    Liet-Kynes--Jeremy Irons
    Stilgar--Chris Cooper (the word leathery comes to mind...)
    Chani--Keira Knightley (tell me she's not built like a ~0%-retained-water Fremen)

That's all I got.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like the list, but James Franco just looks too old to be a plausible Paul to me. I can't readily think of someone who would really fit the role though.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    David Carradine for Stilgar.

C'mon!

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    James Marsters as Idaho

nice

The thing about Irulan, is that unless you're going to take the miniseries route. Irulan is a nothing role until you get to Children of Dune. I personally loved how they portrayed Irulan in the miniseries..I'm just saying that it would be odd seeing Scarlett just sitting there, doing nothing

Though your list wins because of Keira Knightley as Chani

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Though your list wins because of Keira Knightley as Chani

Well, she's built like a Fremen. Which, for a woman coming from a nation that has weather like Caladan (IIRC)...irony!

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Walken as Halleck would be SO HILARIOUS.

Except have him play a cowbell instead of a baliset.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Walken as Halleck would be SO HILARIOUS.

Except have him play a cowbell instead of a baliset.

Mood?

There's no... mood... for fighting.. boy!

Mood is for... making love,... or playing cowbell!

*Clang*

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    John Malkovich as Thufir Hawat? God, I hope not - the movie will be long enough without Malkovich putting . . . in pauses wherever . . . he wants making . . . him sound . . . stoned or drunk or . . . both.

I have no problem with the rest of the dream cast, though.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's odd... I just finished reading Dune for the first time, and I had no idea they were making a new movie.

Anyway, it was very good. Some parts seem like they'd be impossible to translate into film, though. How did they handle Paul's 'prescient memory' in the older adaptations? That was hard enough to visualize in my imagination. I have no idea how they'd put it on film.

Food on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got as far as God Emperor of Dune and stopped caring about the series. I don't even know if I could pick it up again now because I've forgotten a lot of what happened. It just got to be a bit too much for me. I liked the first couple books though.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I got as far as God Emperor of Dune and stopped caring about the series. I don't even know if I could pick it up again now because I've forgotten a lot of what happened. It just got to be a bit too much for me. I liked the first couple books though.

They definitely get harder to read at that point in the series. I'm not afraid to admit it, a lot of the later books just simply go over my head a lot of times because I just don't quite understand what exactly is going on. Part of that is by design I think because Herbert doesn't want you knowing everything. But there are times where I was simply lost

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Anyway, it was very good. Some parts seem like they'd be impossible to translate into film, though. How did they handle Paul's 'prescient memory' in the older adaptations? That was hard enough to visualize in my imagination. I have no idea how they'd put it on film.

Nobody does insane inscrutable imagery like David Lynch.

Not Sarastro on