As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It sounds like Cortana managed to access the Domain, which it the Forerunner internet which is actually the Precursor internet (the Precursors are the Forerunners of the Forerunners) and the Precursors are also the Flood, so I think she might've gotten logic plague'd like Mendicant Bias.

Well... about the Flood.
    The Forerunner trilogy made sure to leave wiggle room. The Precursors either were changed INTO the Flood as some fucked up revenge scheme or they MADE the Flood for the same reason. They could go either direction with the lore if they wanted without retconning anything already established.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It sounds like Cortana managed to access the Domain, which it the Forerunner internet which is actually the Precursor internet (the Precursors are the Forerunners of the Forerunners) and the Precursors are also the Flood, so I think she might've gotten logic plague'd like Mendicant Bias.

Well... about the Flood.
    The Forerunner trilogy made sure to leave wiggle room. The Precursors either were changed INTO the Flood as some fucked up revenge scheme or they MADE the Flood for the same reason. They could go either direction with the lore if they wanted without retconning anything already established.
    Yeah, just for the purposes of brevity, "the precursors are the flood" suffices.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I really love both Halo and Marathon's world building. Destiny seems very... flat?

• Options
    I really love both Halo and Marathon's world building. Destiny seems very... flat?
    You ever read the books of sorrow?

• Options
    Glancing at them it looks like they took Infinity's Jaro stuff and went rampant with it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Halo's worldbuilding is so good is because the first game was pretty detailed and then they had several games and books in which they built on that, at a point in time when companies were actually focusing on good games in order to get sales (as opposed to shitty lootbox and microtransaction practices, with a game tacked on to facilitate that crap). Destiny has had two games, and it's been painfully obvious that the focus of those games has been something other than building a detailed world (hooray, loads of lootboxing and grinding).

Halo also started with a single Spartan and built out from there. Guardians are all over the place in Destiny, so where is anybody supposed to start when learning about them? And they're also far more fantasy-oriented in design, where a lot of the hook of Halo is that it works as solid military fiction as well (which adds some nice crunchiness for drawing people in). It's a whole setting of nigh-unkillable space wizards and magic knights, so it's hard for any characters to stick out.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I have finally completed halo 5 campaign

So
    Cortana has managed to cure her rampancy but still manages to go batshit and try to take over the galaxy?

Sure she's cured?
    My impression is that the Domain didn't fix her madness, the increased processing capacity just let her continuing being mad without dying

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    My favorite Halo AI is probably Mendicant Bias who runs the gamut from being an upright soldier, to an insane raging traitor, to a remorseful and penitent shell of his former self.

"I kill you all and I enjoy it. I destroy you in you indolent billions--in your gluttony, in your self-righteousness, in your arrogance. I pound your cities into dust; turn back the clock on your civilization's progress. What has taken you millennia to achieve I erase in seconds. Welcome back to the [Stone Age], vermin. Welcome home."

Offensive Bias is more of a mirror to Mendicant, but I enjoyed his narration of the final battle before the activation of Halo. He was sort of detached, but sad his crews died. But then was all,

"Alright, the organics are dead, time to get serious."

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't know who my favorite AI is, but Exuberant Witness is definitely somewhere on that list, and has the most appropriate name ever. If she's not in the next game, I'll riot.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Exuberant Witness was a refreshing tonic in a third act filled with self-serious drama and galaxy-threatening stakes

• Options
    I wish the 2, 3, ODST, and Reach soundtracks didn't do that thing of tracks that are actually three tracks one after the other. I don't like it when I want to listen to like, the second or fourth section of ONI Sword Base, or the second section of Skyline, or the second section of Delta Halo Suite, and I have to find and skip to the section of the track where that starts playing.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Exuberant Witness was a refreshing tonic in a third act filled with self-serious drama and galaxy-threatening stakes

Which is why I want her retroactively added to all the other Halo titles during their third acts full of self-serious drama and galaxy-threatening stakes.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    BTW, it's 1:31PM (PDT)...

Halo Mixer broadcast starting now. Apparently they're gonna show off Reach PC.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Looks good.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

This is cool but why is 343's site so freaking ugly

• Options
    Boo it's TU standard, lame

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

This is cool but why is 343's site so freaking ugly

Inherited the Mantle of Ugly Website Responsibility from Bungie, I'd say. A lot less blue though.

• Options
    Those of you who are also in the Destiny thread might remember a bit back when Martin O'Donnell put up some videos on youtube of some of the old versions of the music of the spheres stuff, to show how that music developed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_ay8y6GpA

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I’ve long ignored Halo because I’ve never wanted an Xbox.

Suddenly getting the MCC is quite exciting. That Reach gameplay looked pretty fun. Also I play mostly single player FPS at the moment so that’s a lot of games to add to the backlog.

-Loki- on
  • Options
  • Options
    Whenever I play CE, it always really drives home how much the series crystalized with 2. Despite being the original, CE actually feels the least like Halo out of the franchise to me.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is anyone here in the PC beta?

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Is anyone here in the PC beta?

From what I'm seeing it's not starting today, maybe tomorrow according to twitter.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I think my favorite Halo piece is Unforgotten.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    343 is doing a one-time conversion of all maps and gametypes from the 360 Halo 3, Reach, and 4 to the MCC versions. Upload what you want to make the jump now.

s7pmrpu9g753.png

• Options
    So if it's already in our fileshare, it's good to go right

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yep

• Options
  • Options
    Been playing some Reach and there's a really nice little bit of game design in Exodus that I'd never noticed before. There's that section where you're riding from point A to point B in a Falcon while people talk on the radio and you get to look at the fighting happening in the city, and they give you a turret and some enemies to shoot at in case those don't hold the player's attention. And a turret section is hardly inspired game design, but there's a thing they do with it that I think it kinda cool, and that's make it so that you never have enough time to really win any of the fights you pass by, and save the marines in the fight. Like, you have enough time to kill the chieftain and grunts that are charging the marine squad, but not enough to take out the squad of brutes pinning them down from the rooftops, and it lets this little filler turret section do a pretty good job of reinforcing the tone of the level through gameplay. It's not like, a transcendental piece of design or anything, but I thought it was neat.

• Options
    I saw a bunch of early MCC PC reshade modding, and it looked amazing. I'm not looking a gift horse, but still, it should have been on PC this whole time.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man I really feel like playing reach, I hope they release it soon

• Options
    May be a while, it's the online stuff that they're taking their time on.

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/halo-infinite-creative-director-leaves-company-1837312778
    Good thing all the Halo hype is around MCC at the moment

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    They've basically deflected that actual creative control is still being overseen by the project lead, and while it is pretty weird that the creative director would walk on out of there towards the tail end of development, if they don't have a coherent creative direction by this stage then Halo Infinite is more fucked than anyone can ever imagine and I can't imagine things being that dire

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, there’s a million reasons why you leave a job, not necessarily the projects sky is falling

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah, i'd wager that most of the creative decisions have been made and are pretty much locked in at this place and they're now focused on getting it all working.

• Options
    Cross posting from toy thread:
    Oh my God I need this
    https://1000toys.jp/detail.aspx?goto=product290
    u1x9g4jr1ki2.png

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I couldn't glean the answer to the following from looking at Google search results so I figured I'd ask it here:

Approximately how much Halos could I play right now on PC via game pass? Is it all of them?