As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Hmm, true.

Was there even a big fantasy thing on TV in the aughts?

It's got magic, but it's set between WW1&2 so I don;t know if it really counts as "fantasy" for the purposes of this question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivàle

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    How could we forgot the classic fantasy/sci TV shows of Big Wolf on Campus and Weird Science.

Both of which were amazing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Carnivale definitely counts as 'prestige TV', at least in terms of marketing, but I guess I always saw it as more american gothic than fantasy.
    (ie no dragons).

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Can't say I'm surprised. That whole all at once method didn't seem scalable.

But it is funny watching these streaming services slowly become what they tried to replace.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ughhh this sucks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I vastly prefer weekly releases. Cuts down on spoilers.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think weekly schedules help a show actually grow an audience which is a massive benefit for some of the more niche or interesting stuff

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I cant watch weekly release stuff

This just means I'll need to wait until seasons are finished

Thankfully I dont care about spoilers at least

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Will they actually tell you when there's a new episode or will you still have to search even after you've watched 4 of them

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Does that mean they will stop fucking over the anime they get

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugh. One of the things I like about Netflix is not waiting.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    While it’s nice to binge some shows (particularly if they’re actually paced for it, which is extremely rare) I would much rather have the week to week conversations with my coworkers and friends where we’re all at the same point and have a thing to discuss besides the ending.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The article says its only for two shows right now, one of which is the newest Great British Bake Off. That makes sense since it just started airing in the UK, so now the US gets to watch it at the same time instead of after it ends

• Options
    hell, if a new season drops of something a bunch of people here watch I usually can't even look at the relevant thread until I've 100% caught up, because even with rigorous spoiler tagging I'll often accidentally open something thinking it's about an earlier season/episode (did this to myself with Killing Eve quite recently). I like being able to have discussions about shows as I watch them, weekly installments makes that a lot easier for me.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I think binge watch culture just flattens almost all of these series into their base plot beats for me. Like I just dont retain it at all, much less think of it in any deeper construct. For instance I'd be hard pressed to tell you much about Stranger Things s3 except the blisteringly obvious things like there were Russians and a mall.

I dunno. I try to imagine how punishing something like Twin Peaks s3 would be for me if it dropped all at once. And I had to scramble to watch it all. As opposed to a really fun couple months of growing discussion around whatever fever dream we had seen that week.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The article says its only for two shows right now, one of which is the newest Great British Bake Off. That makes sense since it just started airing in the UK, so now the US gets to watch it at the same time instead of after it ends

Hopefully they start doing this with their other international shows too.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Once a week?

Ugh.

Sounds like they've been getting tips from my wife.

tugstie

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm probably dropping Netflix when HBO Max comes out anyway

• Options

You know that’ll have weekly releases too

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Superstore is continuing to be very good, although I find Jonah to be a pretty dull character. Also, does Dina eventually become less of a (this is very reductive comparison but it's the best one I can think of) female Ron Swanson? She's enjoyable and I like her, but she does come off as kind of the most... stereotypical?

Jonah is the everyman so he's always kinda boring

later on they focus less on him and also poke more fun at him when they do

dina is more of a Dwight Schrute type than ron swanson to me

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I like this because my friend group somehow manages to binge 10 episode hour long tv shows in like three days and it takes me like ... at least a couple of weeks and I always end up getting spoilered because of memes they share or something.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah I think binge watch culture just flattens almost all of these series into their base plot beats for me. Like I just dont retain it at all, much less think of it in any deeper construct. For instance I'd be hard pressed to tell you much about Stranger Things s3 except the blisteringly obvious things like there were Russians and a mall.

I dunno. I try to imagine how punishing something like Twin Peaks s3 would be for me if it dropped all at once. And I had to scramble to watch it all. As opposed to a really fun couple months of growing discussion around whatever fever dream we had seen that week.

I find that if a show is sufficiently dense and well-constructed, I will end up pacing myself to a couple of episodes a week max in any case, because I need the psychological space to digest it. It took me about a month to watch The Terror, for example. And also I can't focus on anything else while I do it, so it becomes an event. I think bi-weekly is my natural pace for anything requiring more than a superficial amount of attention.

Something like Veronica Mars, I'll churn through two or three episodes at a sitting, but I can also paint or knit or proofread while I do it, and I don't give a fuck about spoilers for that kind of thing.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am not a fan of binging shows, I will watch like... 1-2 episodes of a show a night and then be good, unless it ends on a HUGE cliffhanger.

Like I think that Rachel and I ended up watching the last 3-4 episodes of Season 1 of Barry in a row because that show just goes.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I am not a fan of binging shows, I will watch like... 1-2 episodes of a show a night and then be good, unless it ends on a HUGE cliffhanger.

Like I think that Rachel and I ended up watching the last 3-4 episodes of Season 1 of Barry in a row because that show just goes.

First and last show I ever actually binged (in the sense of "watched the entire thing in one sitting") was when I bought the DVD set of Firefly to watch with my dad, and he was extremely jetlagged so we ended up staying up till 3am to finish the whole box. There's no way I have the time to watch an entire series of anything nowadays in less than a week, unless it's like 6 episodes.

• Options
    Yeah there are plenty of shows I dont mind just tossing on. But a lot of the denser stuff I want to sit down with and actually appreciate beyond background noise when Im drawing or cleaning. Unfortunately this inevitably means I just don't watch very much tv any more. Because there is too much of it released too quickly for me to have any possibility of keeping up with.

But Im also someone that also considers the conversations around the show just as much part of the show sometimes. So if I feel like the cultural conversation has dissipated it goes on a backburner I may never get to.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    When it comes to bingeing...usually I'll like watch 6-10 episodes, have my fill and not even look at a show again for like another 1-3 months.

So yeah, I've never been big on it.

TBH I feel like there was a big "fear of missing out" effect when it came to some people's bingeing habits.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The only shows I've ever actually BINGED because I just couldn't stop were Broadchurch Season 1, and Russian Doll.

And I Think You Should Leave.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I definitely stayed up way too late watching Russian Doll, the structure of the episodes made it a series I would argue was developed explicitly for the binge era. Maniac as well - they're basically long episodic movies, with a pretty tightly woven through-story.

tynic on
  • Options
    Yeah, there are very few shows I binged where like I was just on the edge of my seat episode to episode and time just few by.

I think Orphan Black S1 is probably the last time I did that in recent memory.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    On an only tangentially related note, but it has lodged itself into my brain since I read it and this discussion has dredged it up again

Polygon interviewed one of the dudes behind the Telltale Games "revival", and he spat out this gem
    Ottilie explained that the company is looking at evolving Telltale’s episodic model. “We will probably keep the concept of episodes but with different pacing. This is a different world, from a media consumption standpoint. We need to look at how people like to entertain themselves. I like the idea of binge watching.”

Binge watching
    Episodic
    Video gaaaaaaaaames

• Options
    Wasn't rapid iteration without any real evolution the reason Telltale collapsed in the first place?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay but what is an episodic video game where you release all the episodes at the same time, my brain has been on fucking fire since I read that quote

• Options
    I'm realizing that the reason I am like this is at least 30 percent because I hate talking to my coworkers about tv shows

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Hitman2 (and tbh it lost a little bit of magic in the process for sure)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I'm realizing that the reason I am like this is at least 30 percent because I hate talking to my coworkers about tv shows

Most of my coworkers do not watch the same tv as me, which is great because I don't have to listen to their dumb opinions, but bad because I can't bore them with my dumb opinions.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I absolutely love to binge-consume media, be it a book series or tv series or a game

I know I frustrate @Moriveth a lot because of it! We have very different habits

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I don't really binge watch stuff these days.

Binge watching makes me depressed.

Or I'm depressed so I binge watch.

Either way, I'm happier when I don't do it.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The solution is to just never talk to co-workers, or anyone

Friends? What the fuck's a friends, fuck you

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

You know that’ll have weekly releases too

Yeah but Netflix has been building strikes for awhile.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am somewhat convinced my aversion to bingewatching is because of ADD or ADHD or maybe just plain anxiety

I'm just always thinking of the other stuff I could be doing!

This discussion has been closed.