As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    odd: the video's been marked private, and the tweet has been deleted.

Copied it down:
    We are excited to offer a peak at pre-alpha gameplay footage for the long-awaited sequel to the beloved System Shock franchise.

Watch the teaser here:
    youtube.com/watch?v=aqbDh_…

#SystemShock #systemshock3

edit ... and now the video is back. Otherside, what are you doing

Tamin on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    actually if I was in the market for a looty game

primarily offline

what are my options?

destiny 2
    borderlands 3
    warframe...? (I likely don't have the time for warframe)
    Void Bastards i guess?

destiny 2 is pretty good now and starting october 1st, I think, a bunch of the game is gonna be 100% free to play, and the first major expansion is dramatically cheaper now as well (with the first 2 minor expansions being part of the free content)

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My sword is named Mea Culpa and I just met Saint Sebatian in a level called Where Olive Trees Wither this game lays it on thick and hard, also the art direction is just fuckin amazing the animated cutscenes make me feel vaguely ill and the enemy designs my lord that hulking man being ridden by an old lady tried to hit me with a big dead deer

How hot is Saint Sebastian?

Not very hot, this game is very high in both nudity and non-horniness, everything has the aesthetic of like the most gruesome crucifix you've ever seen

N9xVAuY.jpg

Apparently the Pope has a pretty gnarly one the Popes crucifix is very much the vibe

Yeah I played it at pax and it can be very much described as 16 bit dark souls with an unhealthy amount of Catholicism.

I played the demo, and the overbearing catholicism turned me off. I get what they're going for, but it's not for me.

e: here's that SS3 vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbDh__FoCU

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Bungie, could you make your website work for like a second

edit: yay, thank you Bungie

Depressperado on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    ah, apparently the ss3 teaser was supposed to be shared in partnership with ign. Somebody goofed.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I feel that SS3 footage would be a lot more impressive if the Doom reboot didn't exist.

• Options
    It looks good! But it won't be out until, what, 2021? 22?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    destiny 2 is very good and has some, for me, very enjoyable end game chases that i like doing. the story is really, really bad and never gets better. they cannot stop themselves from having every character you meet fall over themselves to tell you how cool you are, and it's so fucking asinine.

the only character that's worth a damn is the giant jabba the hutt, hedoism-bot rhino emperor who sits on his pleasure cruiser and gets you to do wild shit.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I actually really love the writing in Destiny 2, but not in terms of the narrative. Some of the expansion campaigns have cool stories, Forsaken in particular, and some of the smaller bits are kinda great. But the characters, and the depths of the lore are all exceptionally great to me. I really really love just digging into the bizarre and fascinating depths of the setting.

Also Calus is interesting but also very weird, but Lord Shaxx is 100% the best character in Destiny 2 and there's no argument that can change my mind.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8
    This could be mine for only $800? I would be crazy not to buy it!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Expansions
    Moving ahead to 2020, there will be two full, paid expansions that our team is hard at work creating: The Foundation and AWE. Both of these will offer new story missions, enemies, and game mechanics, and take place in new locations within the Oldest House.

The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird.

The second expansion, AWE, will take Jesse into a new part of the Oldest House, the Investigations Sector, where the Bureau closely examines Altered World Events.

Finally, we would like to thank everyone from press to fans and the entire community for your support and feedback. The amazing response to Control means the world for us. Keep it coming!

They're also adding photo mode and something that sounds like horde mode

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    God, it’s gonna be real hard to wait to play Control.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8
    This could be mine for only $800? I would be crazy not to buy it!

okay so when you purchase an $800 ship in star citizen, what happens exactly?

like do you start off with the ship? what happens when your ship gets shot down?

do you just respawn without the ship? is it gone forever?

does any of the story stuff with that party and the Great Gatsby stuff actually happen in-game? Is there some kind of story tied to each ship?

i feel like I've been kinda-following SC for years and I still don't really know the answers to these questions

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    hahah oh man what if like, max payne's gun is a different AWE that lets him slow down time

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    When you buy a star citizen ship a hunter-killer drone is dispatched to end your life, your post death experience begins inside the ship

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I can’t wait for them to sell literal stars for $10000+

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

primarily offline

what are my options?

destiny 2
    borderlands 3
    Void Bastards i guess?

destiny 2 is pretty good now and starting october 1st, I think, a bunch of the game is gonna be 100% free to play, and the first major expansion is dramatically cheaper now as well (with the first 2 minor expansions being part of the free content)

It looks like you can't even buy Forsaken on PC right now. They've already removed all Destiny stuff from the Battle.net store.

• Options
    like do you start off with the ship? what happens when your ship gets shot down?
    Ships bought with $$$ have insurance.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-star-citizens-ship-insurance-works-and-how-players-will-exploit-it/
    Of course, your ship will get blown up at some point, which is where the insurance comes in. If you've bought insurance, and your ship gets destroyed, you can pay the 10% deductible, which will expedite the replacement of the ship. If you don't want to pay that money, you can try being patient: the deductible will eventually burn down to zero and you'll receive your replacement ship without having to pay anything extra.

Of course, like real insurance companies, Star Citizen's fictitious insurance company won't be completely forgiving. "But the more times you claim," Roberts said, "the higher the deductible gets." This is another way to get players to take their ships seriously, to avoid rushing into danger or at least to proceed with caution, and especially to earn in-game money through missions and get their ships repaired instead of just junking them when they've taken a little damage.

As far as the ships some players have bought with real-world money, rather than those paid for in-game, Roberts also explained how that would work.

"Basically, the ships that players bought with cash have lifetime insurance which basically means that they don't have to re-up their premiums after a certain period of time," he said. "But for 3.0 it's not really going to make much difference because every ship has insurance, [so] you're getting the base ship back [if it's destroyed]. So, if you went out and you upgraded, bought some new components, weapons, put them on the ship, and then you lost your ship? Those components or weapons will be gone, you'll just be getting the default starter ship back.

"Later on you'll be able to get supplemental insurance to insure your upgrades. But that won't be in 3.0."
    Filing a claim for theft adds a couple of different wrinkles as compared to a claim for a ship that's been destroyed. First of all, the stolen ship is still out there, somewhere. The thief will get to keep it, even though insurance is providing your replacement. However, selling a stolen ship, or even landing in certain places, could prove difficult or impossible for the ship-jacker.

"That other ship is now hot," Roberts said. "There will be a bounty on the thief, and there will be only be certain places the thief could sell it, and they wouldn't be able to land it in the main landing zone.

"Its VIN number, basically its ID number, is registered as stolen." In other words, AI security forces, in areas of the universe it is present, will be aware of stolen ships and won't take kindly to the players piloting them.

"Yes, that has the potential for insurance fraud," Roberts told me. I hadn't even considered that, but CIG has: the issue of fake insurance claims. What if a player teams up with an accomplice, and instructs them to "steal" their ship, then claims it as stolen? The player making the claim gets a nice new replacement, but their buddy has also gained a ship. A hot ship, but a ship nonetheless.

I wasn't given a solution in the case of co-operative theft and fake claims, but it's clear CIG is already trying to stay a step ahead of players who might try to exploit the insurance system for their own gain. That's a problem for the future, though. For 3.0, just remember to lock your doors.
    Doesn't the lifetime insurance encourage players to treat the ships as disposable and not worry about security, thus allowing a ton of thieves (who may have the permission of the owner) to steal them easily?

Well, that is a problem for another day when Starcitizen has much of any permanence and there can be like more than 50 people on a server at a time.

They still haven't finished the tech to make the huge persistent world possible.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    What about a new f-Zero game, but it’s Redline?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    What about a new f-Zero game, but it’s Redline?

Not to be confused with the 1999 game Redline.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My sword is named Mea Culpa and I just met Saint Sebatian in a level called Where Olive Trees Wither this game lays it on thick and hard, also the art direction is just fuckin amazing the animated cutscenes make me feel vaguely ill and the enemy designs my lord that hulking man being ridden by an old lady tried to hit me with a big dead deer

How hot is Saint Sebastian?

Not very hot, this game is very high in both nudity and non-horniness, everything has the aesthetic of like the most gruesome crucifix you've ever seen

N9xVAuY.jpg

Apparently the Pope has a pretty gnarly one the Popes crucifix is very much the vibe

Yeah I played it at pax and it can be very much described as 16 bit dark souls with an unhealthy amount of Catholicism.

I played the demo, and the overbearing catholicism turned me off. I get what they're going for, but it's not for me.

e: here's that SS3 vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbDh__FoCU
    This looks Really Good for a pre-alpha build holy wow

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

primarily offline

what are my options?

destiny 2
    borderlands 3
    Void Bastards i guess?

It looks like you can't even buy Forsaken on PC right now. They've already removed all Destiny stuff from the Battle.net store.

yeah have to wait til it arrives on steam fully, in october. that's when the base game goes free and forsaken becomes cheaper on PC

• Options
    Welp, that's something about Control I would have liked to discover on my own. Meh.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ships bought with $$$ have insurance.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-star-citizens-ship-insurance-works-and-how-players-will-exploit-it/
    Of course, your ship will get blown up at some point, which is where the insurance comes in. If you've bought insurance, and your ship gets destroyed, you can pay the 10% deductible, which will expedite the replacement of the ship. If you don't want to pay that money, you can try being patient: the deductible will eventually burn down to zero and you'll receive your replacement ship without having to pay anything extra.

Of course, like real insurance companies, Star Citizen's fictitious insurance company won't be completely forgiving. "But the more times you claim," Roberts said, "the higher the deductible gets." This is another way to get players to take their ships seriously, to avoid rushing into danger or at least to proceed with caution, and especially to earn in-game money through missions and get their ships repaired instead of just junking them when they've taken a little damage.

As far as the ships some players have bought with real-world money, rather than those paid for in-game, Roberts also explained how that would work.

"Basically, the ships that players bought with cash have lifetime insurance which basically means that they don't have to re-up their premiums after a certain period of time," he said. "But for 3.0 it's not really going to make much difference because every ship has insurance, [so] you're getting the base ship back [if it's destroyed]. So, if you went out and you upgraded, bought some new components, weapons, put them on the ship, and then you lost your ship? Those components or weapons will be gone, you'll just be getting the default starter ship back.

"Later on you'll be able to get supplemental insurance to insure your upgrades. But that won't be in 3.0."
    Filing a claim for theft adds a couple of different wrinkles as compared to a claim for a ship that's been destroyed. First of all, the stolen ship is still out there, somewhere. The thief will get to keep it, even though insurance is providing your replacement. However, selling a stolen ship, or even landing in certain places, could prove difficult or impossible for the ship-jacker.

"That other ship is now hot," Roberts said. "There will be a bounty on the thief, and there will be only be certain places the thief could sell it, and they wouldn't be able to land it in the main landing zone.

"Its VIN number, basically its ID number, is registered as stolen." In other words, AI security forces, in areas of the universe it is present, will be aware of stolen ships and won't take kindly to the players piloting them.

"Yes, that has the potential for insurance fraud," Roberts told me. I hadn't even considered that, but CIG has: the issue of fake insurance claims. What if a player teams up with an accomplice, and instructs them to "steal" their ship, then claims it as stolen? The player making the claim gets a nice new replacement, but their buddy has also gained a ship. A hot ship, but a ship nonetheless.

I wasn't given a solution in the case of co-operative theft and fake claims, but it's clear CIG is already trying to stay a step ahead of players who might try to exploit the insurance system for their own gain. That's a problem for the future, though. For 3.0, just remember to lock your doors.
    Doesn't the lifetime insurance encourage players to treat the ships as disposable and not worry about security, thus allowing a ton of thieves (who may have the permission of the owner) to steal them easily?

Well, that is a problem for another day when Starcitizen has much of any permanence and there can be like more than 50 people on a server at a time.

They still haven't finished the tech to make the huge persistent world possible.
    ...if you've bought insurance, and your ship gets destroyed, you can pay the 10% deductible, which will expedite the replacement of the ship...
    ... "But the more times you claim," Roberts said, "the higher the deductible gets."...
    ...lifetime insurance which basically means that they don't have to re-up their premiums after a certain period of time," ...

oh my god

this is the most asinine solution possible

I cannot imagine how much fun it's going to be to file a claim with Chris Robert's fuckin StateFarm Insurance, and then get denied because they ruled that the pilot was at fault for not checking their blindspot and you need to buy another expensive spaceship and also because you live in a crime-infested star sector we're gonna profile you and raise your monthly premiums

this is amazing

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Anyone tried Greedfall yet? It's ok, it's definitely a Double A game, but it's not as deep as I thought it would be. Dialog is generally very stunted and while a few options come up here and there, even with level 1 Charisma I've never not been able to talk someone into boiling their own brain and eating it. It's probably my own expectations as I was looking at it like a new Dragon Age but it isn't that deep, or something like the original two Gothics which weren't AAA but you could do virtually anything in them.

It might be more interesting further down the line but so far the central thing is this disease but I don't feel any compulsion to pursue it.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    somebody buy me Greedfall and I will PM you a single smooch

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Are there any good stories about big Star Citizen investors getting frustrated and angry yet? Feels like the fan base has been surprisingly patient so far

I'm really counting on that game to feed my schadenfreude for a while

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Are there any good stories about big Star Citizen investors getting frustrated and angry yet? Feels like the fan base has been surprisingly patient so far

Just read the SC thread in G&T if you need your fill.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Just read the SC thread in G&T if you need your fill.

That thread is hilarious and sad in equal measure.

But don't brigade it obvs, we're better than that.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

My guess is that people who put money into Star Citizen and got angry about being sold a bill of good stopped being an SEO goldmine like five years ago. Now it's like "oh that again? Yeah I guess."

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The last thing I remember hearing about Star Citizen investors is that like some record label owners idle rich wastrel failson put an assload of money in

At least I think something like that happened who can say really

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As an original entry level backer for SC I should probably try the test server again with my new graphics card. See if it is at all playable now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    They are talking about how awesome the huge persistent world is despite the tech to have that huge persistent world with hundreds of players instead of a few planets and a small player cap still not actually being part of the game yet.

The single player game Squadron 42 also requires that tech.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuxz18/photo_from_275_concierge_events_evening_meal/ey254da/
    Speaking to Chris, SSOCS is targeted for 3.8 but they're realistic it might be pushed back to next year. It's a requirement for Squadron 42, as it's effectively running a server on the local machine. Static server messing is due end of 2020 but I got the impression that dynamic server meshing will take a lot longer.

Squadron 42 was supposed to launch in 2014 according to the kickstarter. It was then supposed to be released in 2017.

It is amazing how utterly predictable all of this is given the Christ Roberts' history with both Wing Commander and Freelancer.

https://www.filfre.net/2017/04/from-wingleader-to-wing-commander/
    At the beginning of July, executive producer Dallas Snell called the troops together to tell them that crunch time was beginning in earnest; everyone would need to work at least 55 hours per week from now on. Most of the people on the project only smiled bemusedly at the alleged news flash. They were already working those kinds of hours, and knew all too well that a 55-hour work week would probably seem like a part-timer’s schedule before all was said and done.

At the beginning of August, Snell unceremoniously booted Chris Roberts, the project’s founder, from his role as co-producer, leaving him with only the title of director. Manifesting a tendency anyone familiar with his more recent projects will immediately recognize, Roberts had been causing chaos on the team by approving seemingly every suggested addition or enhancement that crossed his desk. Snell, the brutal pragmatist in this company full of dreamers, appointed himself as Warren Spector’s new co-producer. His first action was to place a freeze on new features in favor of getting the game that currently existed finished and out the door. Snell:
    The individuals in Product Development are an extremely passionate group of people, and I love that. Everyone is here because, for the most part, they love what they’re doing. This is what they want to do with their lives, and they’re very intense about it and very sensitive to your messing around with what they’re trying to accomplish. They don’t live for getting it done on time or having it make money. They live to see this effect or that effect, their visions, accomplished.

It’s always a continual antagonistic relationship between the executive producer and the development teams. I’m always the ice man, the ogre, or something. It’s not fun, but it gets the products done and out. I guess that’s why I have the room with the view. Anyway, at the end of the project, all of Product Development asked me not to get that involved again.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Freelancer is one case you can point to where an overbearing, monolithic publisher going, "NO. STOP," and telling you what to do was ultimately the right call when Microsoft forced Digital Anvil to cut that shit out and fuckin' ship the game after being vaporware for years.

And now you see what happens when Roberts' is truly his own boss, unshackled from The Man.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I got the Star Citizen hoodie way back when and it's a very good buy, the thing is incredibly comfortable. Also got a cheap-ass ship, I guess.

• Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I got the Star Citizen hoodie way back when and it's a very good buy, the thing is incredibly comfortable. Also got a cheap-ass ship, I guess.

you should see how much it sells for now

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You shoulda bought the fucking protection plans!!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i feel like we've been waiting for gamestop to do a bunch of store closures for like, most of our lives though

they started dying long ago and only funko pops had them on life support

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.