Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Finished the last boss last night with the Drowned Crew. All told I never encountered a rougher champion run than my first foray into the Weald. My only losses were to the Gibbering Prophet who squished a guy and screwed up my ranks such that I couldn't recover and then he squished another guy. It was my only loss to a champion boss.

Last night then was my first blind run at the Darkest Dungeon. Oof. Harsh lessons learned and a party wipe at the boss. Didn't help that I was so out-of-sorts and apprehensive while planning the outing that I forgot to equip trinkets. Silver lining - I didn't lose any trinkets.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It gets so bad that I have a checklist of pre-dungeon items that I keep taped to my monitor-- Torches, Trinkets, Holy Water-- just so that doesn't happen.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My most recent "oh no, what have I done" was setting everything up perfectly to go fight Vvulf and realizing just before the first skirmish that I've left my back row, Guardian Shielded Man-at-Arms guard without his "guard" skill

It's like the video game equivalent of locking your keys in your car

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Finished the last boss last night with the Drowned Crew. All told I never encountered a rougher champion run than my first foray into the Weald. My only losses were to the Gibbering Prophet who squished a guy and screwed up my ranks such that I couldn't recover and then he squished another guy. It was my only loss to a champion boss.

Last night then was my first blind run at the Darkest Dungeon. Oof. Harsh lessons learned and a party wipe at the boss. Didn't help that I was so out-of-sorts and apprehensive while planning the outing that I forgot to equip trinkets. Silver lining - I didn't lose any trinkets.

I really liked this game up until the Darkest Dungeon. So unforgiving with deaths due to new mechanics you couldn't see coming (bleeding had been minor all game but was suddenly deadly, withdrawing form the dungeon now randomly kills one member). The last straw was finding out that you're forced to retire your whole party after each stage. "I have to grind how many parties up to max rank and equipment??!!!" At that point I quit and just watched a play through on Youtube, and didn't regret not spending another 15 hours grinding up more parties.

I love the idea and look of the game, but it couldn't decide on a happy medium of party expendability vs need for long term grind.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Yeah, the quest started and I saw the blank spaces there and my hands went to my face and I said, "Oh no, oh no no no". I knew at least one of those poor guys was doomed if I tried to escape. I decided I'd do the best I could and make a good solid recon of the place. It think it was worth doing to know the map, when I should camp, and that I should be prepared for lots and lots of bleeds.

The last one standing was a Hellion. She held up against death's door at least a dozen times. RIP.

• Options
    First DD complete! Even knowing what I was doing it was kind of close. My Vestal died during the final battle, early enough that it gave me a scare, but steady bleeds and tenacity won the day. At first I was unhappy about losing another healer but then remembered she wasn't going back in again anyway.

Now I've got the Brigand Invasion, and I may be more worried about that than the DD. I have no idea what I'm getting into there.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the quest started and I saw the blank spaces there and my hands went to my face and I said, "Oh no, oh no no no". I knew at least one of those poor guys was doomed if I tried to escape. I decided I'd do the best I could and make a good solid recon of the place. It think it was worth doing to know the map, when I should camp, and that I should be prepared for lots and lots of bleeds.

The last one standing was a Hellion. She held up against death's door at least a dozen times. RIP.

I'm pretty sure you can alter your skill load-out in the dungeon between fights? Might only be when camping.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you can alter your skill load-out in the dungeon between fights? Might only be when camping.

As long as they are already unlocked, iirc.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Correct, you can re-arrange your toons' talents when out of combat, but you can't unlock them while in a dungeon. You need to be back in Town for unlocks.

EDIT- Always be sure to check your Party's camping skills before you click on the Go To Sleep button to insure you have the correct skills turned on.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Correct, you can re-arrange your toons' talents when out of combat, but you can't unlock them while in a dungeon. You need to be back in Town for unlocks.

EDIT- Always be sure to check your Party's camping skills before you click on the Go To Sleep button to insure you have the correct skills turned on.

To be clear, you mean before clicking on the firewood to make camp, correct? By the time you see the Rest button it's too late to switch camping skills.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

To be clear, you mean before clicking on the firewood to make camp, correct? By the time you see the Rest button it's too late to switch camping skills.

Yes, correct.

• Options
    Man, second attempt at second DD immediately went sideways. I was all prepared and cautiously optimistic because I knew what was coming. First goddamn battle I was critted repeatedly and ended up with three heroes at death's door. I noped out and lost a Crusader during the escape, which was the one thing that went right as he was my most expendable guy.

Trying to work up to it again and now it looks like I've triggered a beneficial bug that gives you four Talismans of the Flame. I'm generally not into exploiting bugs but I'm pretty tempted in this case.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Having four of those bad boys means you can go into DD the second without the absolute necessity of bringing a Man-at-Arms, freeing you up to focus exclusively on the mini-bosses and the trek in between. I'm a firm believer in taking advantage in Darkest Dungeon whenever you can find it- if the *game* found a bug, it would *absolutely* exploit it to kill you and everyone you love, so turnabout is fair play

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Man, second attempt at second DD immediately went sideways. I was all prepared and cautiously optimistic because I knew what was coming. First goddamn battle I was critted repeatedly and ended up with three heroes at death's door. I noped out and lost a Crusader during the escape, which was the one thing that went right as he was my most expendable guy.

Trying to work up to it again and now it looks like I've triggered a beneficial bug that gives you four Talismans of the Flame. I'm generally not into exploiting bugs but I'm pretty tempted in this case.
    Pretty sure that was your first mistake.
    Being all optimistic and everything.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Pretty sure that was your first mistake.
    Being all optimistic and everything.
    Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Or you get critted right off the bat. Either or

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Or you get critted right off the bat. Either or

A devastating blow to body and brain

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Yes, yes, the end approaches, I hear you. I'm trying to finish the game.

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Last year I really wanted to make my text notification "Slowly... gently... this is how a life is taken." but the sound files didn't seem to be readily accessible.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Russad wrote: »
    Last year I really wanted to make my text notification "Slowly... gently... this is how a life is taken." but the sound files didn't seem to be readily accessible.

I'm sure I could think of worse sounds to wake up to upon receiving a 3am text message, but I'm kind of drawing a blank at the moment.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Russad wrote: »

I'm sure I could think of worse sounds to wake up to upon receiving a 3am text message, but I'm kind of drawing a blank at the moment.

I knew a guy at work back in the day who had this as his ringtone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIBFAYtmQ0

• Options
    DD the Second completed! Everyone lived, practically unscathed (by the end, anyway). I even half-negated the advantage of having four Talismans by bringing a Man-at-Arms along anyway, as I didn't have anyone else suitable for the first rank.

I really think I just had terrible luck with the first battle on my second attempt. This time, I was terrified of it happening yet again and had little confidence. The key to success!

Now I see that DD the Third gives me four campfires. Ugh. I... don't want to do this.

I have to though.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The jester used to be a low tier character who could be made to work in innovative ways and they have steadily nerfed him into the ground from that point.

It's why I stopped playing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Speaking of jester I don't know if people watch DD streams but I enjoy watching adamVSeverything. He does a bunch of challenges and jesters were featured in the lastest run.

• Options
    DD the Third completed on my second attempt! And man, it was a nail biter. I was strongly considering giving up after running out of campfires and struggling through a terrible hallway battle. Three of four heroes with mortality debuffs. It was the hardest earned victory so far.

Regarding the level:
    Man, that teleport you into another battle mechanic suuuuuuuucks.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I just spun this game up last week because I have never beaten it. I went ahead and installed all the dlc, too. The shieldbreaker class is great, except i always stupidly bring her on the boss runs and forget about the snake fight. Also, note to self: Always bring antivenom is the shieldbreaker has to camp anywhere.

The antiquarian is great, she really makes the grind easier.

I have downed all the lvl 1-2 bosses except for crimson court stuff. I've gotten a few of the 3-4 bosses down, but having trouble with my roster out leveling the bosses ranges since there are so many bosses and they give so much xp.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Having four of those bad boys means you can go into DD the second without the absolute necessity of bringing a Man-at-Arms, freeing you up to focus exclusively on the mini-bosses and the trek in between. I'm a firm believer in taking advantage in Darkest Dungeon whenever you can find it- if the *game* found a bug, it would *absolutely* exploit it to kill you and everyone you love, so turnabout is fair play

I only have one of these bad boys. What makes them so good, specifically?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

I only have one of these bad boys. What makes them so good, specifically?

The bad boys referenced are the Talismans of the Flame, which are trinkets you pick up in DD 1 that you need in DD 2.

Since you only get three, having a Man-at-Arms guard the poor schmuck who isn't carrying one is one solution.

• Options
    It is Done.

Re: DD 4:
    I really enjoyed the final mission and battle. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out, and I got real nervous during the final round, after losing two heroes to the instant deathblow move. It's a real good thing I hand front-loaded a lot of bleeds and blight or I don't think I would have survived.

Once I picked this up again in March I committed to finishing it and have basically played nothing else since. It feels like a weight lifted. I'm also glad that I did it all blind without looking anything up ahead of time. It meant going the long way 'round, having to replay the tougher missions once I knew how they worked, but it was worth it.

I don't feel like replaying it yet. I think I'll enjoy reading about it now and finding out all the stuff I was doing wrong in a less-than-ideal fashion.

Perhaps best of all, I can play another game now.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    It is Done.

Re: DD 4:
    I really enjoyed the final mission and battle. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out, and I got real nervous during the final round, after losing two heroes to the instant deathblow move. It's a real good thing I hand front-loaded a lot of bleeds and blight or I don't think I would have survived.

Once I picked this up again in March I committed to finishing it and have basically played nothing else since. It feels like a weight lifted. I'm also glad that I did it all blind without looking anything up ahead of time. It meant going the long way 'round, having to replay the tougher missions once I knew how they worked, but it was worth it.

I don't feel like replaying it yet. I think I'll enjoy reading about it now and finding out all the stuff I was doing wrong in a less-than-ideal fashion.

Perhaps best of all, I can play another game now.

Slowly... Gently... This is how a game is finished.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    so hopping back into this game. I'm having a bug... every Leper I recruit I cannot grab his portrait into the embark roster. I cant even right click to open their character sheet, I have to click another character, then cycle to the leper's character sheet.

has this happened to anyone else?
    its seriously ruining a lot of rosters I run... namely what I call the Black Plague Crusade (Crusader, Crusader, Leper, Leper)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I thought that the Crusader would not team with the Leper, or did they remove that ?

• Options
    must have removed it. because its a hilarious combo. they all hit like trucks and they all heal.
    just need to stack lots of acc on the lepers and the map pretty much auto resolves itself.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The Crusader could always team with the Leper. It's the abomination that he couldn't.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It used to be that religious heroes (Crusader, Leper, Vestal, Flagellant) wouldn't team up with the Abom, but they eventually took that out.

There was talk once that the devs were considering a quirk-like system having to do with religions that might create tension between heroes. It never went into the first game, but it might become an element of the sequel!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    so hopping back into this game. I'm having a bug... every Leper I recruit I cannot grab his portrait into the embark roster. I cant even right click to open their character sheet, I have to click another character, then cycle to the leper's character sheet.

has this happened to anyone else?
    its seriously ruining a lot of rosters I run... namely what I call the Black Plague Crusade (Crusader, Crusader, Leper, Leper)

I had this sometimes. I *think* it's an invisible overlay from some other program, like the "press whatever to record your gameplay" popup. Like there's a small region of the screen where the mouse pointer changes from the DD art to Windows default (and clicks in that region don't reach DD). Also happened on a few other games. Alt-tabbing out of DD, and then back to DD would make it go away.

Edit: This wasn't limited to the Leper, just whatever portrait happened to be on that section of the screen.

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that tonight. The win+g gaming tab shows up when I boot a game, and I noticed it in the 5th slot of the roster, its just usually a leper in that spot because he's always showing up in week3 after the usual suspects first run.

There is beginning to be a market niche for someone to make an operating system that runs windows, mac and other os programs, yet remove all the bloat and bullshit from those products. If someone can figure that out, they would make billions.

I'm finding time in shorter supply these days and I'm not in my 20s with a job that revolves around my computer so I dont have the time to look, search, and subsequently rip out the bloat like I did back then...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The whole world's gonna die!
    Because the new DLC is real!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117860/Darkest_Dungeon_The_Butchers_Circus/

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The whole world's gonna die!
    Because the new DLC is real!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117860/Darkest_Dungeon_The_Butchers_Circus/

Boy I could not be less interested in pvp content for this game. Really hope this isn't slowing down the development of the second game.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion