Options

Yakuza: Like a Thread

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »
    A large number of characters can be summoned, including Gary Buster Holmes, Gonda Wara, a crayfish, and more.

Yes.

Yes give me this game now.

You know

I think I might like Yakuza better as an RPG

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alright I played some more Yakuza 0 tonight and I meant to progress the story but instead I just fished, sang a bunch of karaoke, and then did the hostess club minigame.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think right now the only thing I'm iffy about on the new combat is how much the characters shimmy back and forth, especially since a bunch of moves seem to be AOEs, and that one dude has a move that looks like he'll rush forward and wreck everything in his path.

In one clip Ichiban goes for an AOE on a cluster of 3 enemies and by the time he got there 2 of them had moved.

edit: And here's some off-screen gameplay

BATTLE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzP7y1eoBI

GO KARTS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqHY4ZUhHY0

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm glad Judgment continues the Yakuza tradition of providing incredible no-context screenshots.
    ma9gq3m1hpks.jpg
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Okay I thought that it was the director of Yakuza 7 that was a big Dragon Quest fan (and he probably is!) but apparently it's the main character too?
    Dragon Quest exists in the world of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and other terms like Puff-Puff will also appear in the game. The reason why character appearances change, and why allies appear to suddenly pull out weapons, is because the RPG battles are a figment of Kasuga’s imagination. From a third person’s view, they are fighting normally. The varying appearances of the enemies is a visual representation of the enemies’ strength, a modern day version of how Dragon Quest visually sorts its monsters.

During Kasuga’s childhood, the only happy moments in his life was the time he spent playing Dragon Quest. He sees himself as the Hero and wants to set off on an adventure. Kasuga’s ideals of fighting fairly are also influenced by Dragon Quest.

Ah, I was right! It's not just a stylistic choice, but is actually a reflection/embodiment of his character.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Can a game be your favorite game if it’s not out yet

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My worry is still, how well are they going to balance the amount of encounters and how long they take.
    That crayfish animation is hilarious... but if it's unskippable I willprobably do it once every few hours at best.

That being said, I'm really optimistic that this is an overall overhaul of much of the game.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    How do i befriend a crayfish and why does it have a cell phone

Why not?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So if I'm looking at this right, can I just finish the entirety of the Cabaret Club Czar stuff in Chapter 7/8?

Also, since I know I'll be switching to Kiryu next, could I do the same thing for the Real Estate Royale? I couldn't find a way to purchase other businesses in that mode though, was I just missing something blindingly obvious?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So if I'm looking at this right, can I just finish the entirety of the Cabaret Club Czar stuff in Chapter 7/8?

Also, since I know I'll be switching to Kiryu next, could I do the same thing for the Real Estate Royale? I couldn't find a way to purchase other businesses in that mode though, was I just missing something blindingly obvious?

Cabaret Club: Yeah, you can certainly do the main club story, but I don't think all of the substory hostesses are available to you at that point.

Real Estate: Yes also, though it'll take much longer than the club due to the time spent waiting. To buy other businesses you just walk up to them in the street, and if they're purchaseable a prompt will pop up in the UI. There's a a list of which businesses you can buy in each area in the Real Estate management interface, but they aren't specially marked on the map or anything because the game was made under the assumption the player was Japanese and could just read the names off their actual signs.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I probably won't do all of the cabaret club at once anyway, because that sounds like it'd be pretty exhausting to do that minigame over and over. And I like the minigame!

As for real estate - I didn't really look too hard at the stuff, so once I'm Kiryu again I'll check it out. Thanks!

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Just know that some of the real estate purchases require you to do the sub stories attached to them before they become available. Some of them have multiple parts. Nothing too complicated though, but it does involve more than just having the money for it.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that's true. If it's a business you can actually enter, you'll have to make friends with the proprietor/employee first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jeez this final dance battle can suck it

In other news, I’ve been in chapter 8 for like.... four hours?

I also turned the difficulty down because I’m bad at the combat.

• Options
    I have defeated Club Jupiter

I should probably move on with the story buuut also there’s other clubs I could probably take on

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright, I've been saying for a few years now how much I miss JRPGs with big dumb summons to collect where you just want to watch some crazy over the top cinematic. They just don't make those any more for whatever reason.

Never would I have imagined when I finally got this again it would be a mother fucking Yakuza game.

• Options
    Alright now there’s just Club Moon left. This cabaret club stuff isn’t too bad!

• Options
    I have to say that I really appreciate Majima peeking behind things. It’s just such a weird little character trait.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hmm
    cPCuoNo.jpg

Seems I've come to a strange place.
    gV7Ygfx.jpg

Keep hearin stuff about some amazing club manager.
    lV1YIZw.jpg

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tangential: Lotteria have amazing fries.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I finished the Cabaret Club stuff the other day. That was fun, but I spent so much time in Sotenbori that now Kamurocho seems like a weird alien place.

• Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I took a couple of long breaks on Judgement for other games, but I've been back at it for a week or two now.
    It's weird to me that in this game with a noir vibe where you're figuring things out and following people and taking pictures that they turned the street enemies up to 11.
    Go away Keihin Gang! I'm not interested in beating you're leaders up again.

But the main plot has been stellar, there was a run up there through Chapter 10-12 where I felt like this may have the best put togther main plot of a Yakuza game so far.
    I'm in the final chapter now.
    Things have kind of slowed back down a bit and the ending is proving to be a good bit longer than I expected. I thought we were heading into it once we were raiding the secret lab, but things are still going. It makes cool thematic sense for the final showdown to be in the courtroom. Should wrap it up tonight. We'll see. I thought that last night and the night before.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    With all the Yakuza 7 news, I guess it is appropriate that my next big game to dig into is Dragon Quest XI.

• Options
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I finally finished Judgment!
    For the most part I liked it, but those super-attack-modes of all the bosses were not fun.
    Especially combined with the fact that there aren't any upgrades to the medicines (like in the Yakuza games).

Oh, and there is an appalling lack of karaoke.

Onward to Yakuza 3!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tf8ie-3cyfs

This game honestly just looks so damn good.

Seeing the job xp and regular xp at the end of combat. Some timing challenges in the combat for attacks and guarding.

This is stuff I love so much.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The Yakuza 4 remaster is out now, just so everyone knows.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Just announced at Microsoft's X019 event, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2 are coming to Xbox One AND will be included in Xbox Game Pass!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Looks like they'll also be part of the PC Game Pass as well, next year

• Options
    Is there anything on them being available in any way besides Game Pass, though?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Is there anything on them being available in any way besides Game Pass, though?
    What do you mean? If you want to buy them you can still just buy them, like with every game on Game Pass.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Yeah the games on game pass are always just available for straight up purchase

I wonder if this means we may eventually see yakuza 3 - 7, and maybe Judgment on the xbone too?

• Options
    There's a demo out for 7 on the JPSN, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Cool, I only saw Game Pass mentioned as the way to play, but any word on a physical release?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How much of 3 is spent on Orphanage Matters

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Those are called 'children'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Cool, I only saw Game Pass mentioned as the way to play, but any word on a physical release?
    I can't see any listings yet for physical releases. They might only be digital?

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I’m in the final chapter of 3 and either all of it or just a few chapters depending on how you look at it
    orphanage matters like your day to day stuff running an orphanage, taking care of kids, hanging out with them and helping them: a chapter or two and a handful of side missions ranging from the best to boring.

Orphanage matters like the story talking about the orphanage is pretty much the entire game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.