As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You wanna pizza my [movies] thread?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Barney Stinson is a date rapist

He actively lies to and tricks women to get them sleep with him and laughs about it

He should be in jail

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Ehhhhhhhh... I don’t agree. A liar and an asshole? Absolutely. Date-rapist? Drawing a line there. Isn’t what he does more PUA behavior?

Fawst on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I have to imagine NPH looks back on his run as barney quite fondly? A long running paycheck playing a well liked character

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That cop in Hocus Pocus is reeeaaaal interested in the kid's virginity

That guy wasn't a cop right? Just some creepo wearing a Halloween costume, right? That is what I always assumed.

Oh shit, you're right, I'd forgotten how that scene ended

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    At one point Barney sleeps with a woman by finding out she has a missing cat, adopting a similar looking cat from a shelter and then bringing the new cat to her and saying he found the cat.

He is a fuckin sociopath

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Fawst wrote: »
    I would really like to ask NPH how he feels about his run as Barney at this point

He’s probably perfectly fine with it. And why shouldn’t he be? He didn’t write the character. Is there a reason to be down on him other than slut-shaming? I’m trying to think if he did anything borderline (or outright) illegal when it comes to being physical, or if he was just gross from a moral perspective. I watched the entire series, but it’s been a while and I honestly don’t know at this point.

Barney steals from, lies to, and abandons women in the forest to die
    Ehhhhhhhh... I don’t agree. A liar and an asshole? Absolutely. Date-rapist? Drawing a line there. Isn’t what he does more PUA behavior?

You're wrong

Utterly, fantastically, stupendously wrong

I pray for women and all people in your association if you do not understand what the difference is

You have just said something so monumentally, catastrophically fucked up that I genuinely cant believe you dont understand what you've just said

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    It cannot be overstated that you need to examine what you find to constitute as sexual assault immediately

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Lying about your identity in order to trick someone into sleeping with you is illegal in at least some states and definitely extremely immoral. His proposal to Robin is also basically gaslighting right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    also a lot of shit that PUAs do is extremely tremendously fucked up

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Theres a bit of a difference between pretending to be someones significant other vs lying about being a millionare philanthropist archaeologist.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Fawst was warned for this.
    Hey, Chincy? Go fuck yourself.

Seriously.

Fuck you.

I don’t think I need to explain myself to you, but I will: it’s a fucking opinion. And you can take yours and shove it up your fucking goose ass.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Barnie Stinson got women drunk and told them he was going to die the next day and didnt want to die a virgin, he broke into women's houses to see what kind of stuff they liked so he could woo them, he peeping tommed on women regularly, and again, one time he stole a womans car and left her to die

Hes a sex offender, criminal, and attempted murderer

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Theres a bit of a difference between pretending to be someones significant other vs lying about being a millionare philanthropist archaeologist.

I think he’s done that one too.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like a you, I like a sex, is nice

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    How did the podcast go?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

I think he’s done that one too.

Yeah he did both of those at least once

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Remember how Austin Powers specifically wouldn't sleep with Vanessa when she was drunk.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would really like to ask NPH how he feels about his run as Barney at this point

He’s probably perfectly fine with it. And why shouldn’t he be? He didn’t write the character. Is there a reason to be down on him other than slut-shaming? I’m trying to think if he did anything borderline (or outright) illegal when it comes to being physical, or if he was just gross from a moral perspective. I watched the entire series, but it’s been a while and I honestly don’t know at this point.

Barney steals from, lies to, and abandons women in the forest to die

You're wrong

Utterly, fantastically, stupendously wrong

I pray for women and all people in your association if you do not understand what the difference is

You have just said something so monumentally, catastrophically fucked up that I genuinely cant believe you dont understand what you've just said

This is a wildly unnecessary escalation

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    How did the podcast go?

We did analyze borat for three hours, which means I will need to put a content warning upfront

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like I say this every three days but could y’all give each other a little bit of fucking credit every now and then

• Options
    Also

I watched hocus pocus

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Remember how Austin Powers specifically wouldn't sleep with Vanessa when she was drunk.

I actually don't know that I've seen that movie

like I've definitely seen an Austin Powers but I'm thinking now that it must have been the second one

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Austin Powers may be a sleazeball but he's all about continuous enthusiastic consent.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    A lot of Barney's shit is so outrageous that it's basically fantasy.

The worst thing he did was have a baby with a woman he only ever referred to as a number.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Austin Powers may be a sleazeball but he's all about continuous enthusiastic consent.

feminist icon austin powers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

The worst thing he did was have a baby with a woman he only ever referred to as a number.
    Problem is even if it is ridiculous, the more mundane stuff really hit for folks

I had a high school/early college friend who bought the actual Bro Code book they made and tried to pick up ladies like Barney all the goddamn time

He sucked!

But yeah the stuff they did with his non-character wife and seeing his daughter turning him instantly into a decent person was just hot garbage

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The early 2000s were weird.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Barney Stinson is Dennis Reynolds but played as a "positive" character

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Problem is even if it is ridiculous, the more mundane stuff really hit for folks

I had a high school/early college friend who bought the actual Bro Code book they made and tried to pick up ladies like Barney all the goddamn time

He sucked!

But yeah the stuff they did with his non-character wife and seeing his daughter turning him instantly into a decent person was just hot garbage

Oh yeah. I'm not defending his shit. He was absolutely problematic.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Barney Stinson is Dennis Reynolds but played as a "positive" character
    Barney would have an entire episode about The Implication and play it for laughs

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Remember the 2001 comedy film Rat Race?

• Options
    Dennis seems more likely to actually have a murder room in his house though.

• Options
    Oh I bought the Bro Code

When I found it when we moved or something I threw it into the dang garbage

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    The early 2000s were weird.

things are still weird

core to my thesis that Family Guy is a show about hatred of all kinds but particularly self-hatred is the fact that later on in the series they repositioned Quagmire, a serial rapist, as a person morally superior to Brian, the show's author-insert and previous moral center

comedies have a lot of leeway for mistakes, possibly because "why are you taking it seriously" is always an available defense

Shorty on
  • Options
    The wildest thing about Seth MacFarlane is that he managed to make a better new start trek than paramount did and it airs on fox.

• Options
    Sometimes I sit back and think about how most sitcom characters would be actually insufferable and awful people to know if they were real

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There were a lot of characters in the aughts across a multitude of shows that were explicitly written to be terrible, but had just enough redeemable qualities that allowed people to ignore it.

Which honestly is something most people still have trouble with, literally all of the time. So really it's art imitating life!

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Sometimes I sit back and think about how most sitcom characters would be actually insufferable and awful people to know if they were real

Could you imagine how awful it would be to be Wilson Wilson?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Except for that Ted Mosby. He'd be a gem I'm sure.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

He sucked!

The show oscillated wildly between presenting Barney as a sad, fucked-up, neurotic little man vs someone with an aspirational lifestyle whose 'conquests' somehow deserved it for being dumb enough to buy his bullshit. Casting NPH (who is a charisma powerhouse) demonstrated they really never intended to lean hard on the former character beat except for comedy flashbacks, which means there are probably still huge contingents of fans who take his PUA shit at least half-seriously and see him as some kind of ultra-masculine archetype.

This discussion has been closed.