As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Wow. Not to diminish Gears 5--my love for the game is self-evident--but must've been a slow month on Steam.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think even if you're good at fortnite it wouldn't be that hard to take the skills from that and be good at something else. At least if you are good at the shooting part which does seem to be where Ninja is good.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gears 5 also reached number 7 in the overall NPD last month, which is pretty good for a single-platform game on a platform in a semi-distant third.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    NPD tracks sales, not units sold, and their tracking also excluded Steam sales of the game.

Gears 5 is on Game Pass.

A Game Pass sub has gone for $10 or $1 for a very long time. So, for it to be there, there were a significant amount of "purchases" via the pass, and as a Play Anywhere title those are platform agnostic sales.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I was wondering if that counted Game Pass. Still, not bad.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gears 5 also reached number 7 in the overall NPD last month, which is pretty good for a single-platform game on a platform in a semi-distant third.

By "third", I think you probably mean second (unless Windows PC counts?). The Switch reported almost 37 million units sold as of the Summer of this year--Microsoft stopped reporting sales a while ago, but the Xbox One likely broke 41 million by the end of 2018. Since Xbox hardware sales have held steady after a "minor drop", unless the Switch sales number are many million higher since the end of June...it's still well in third. Possibly even "semi-distant"....maybe if Xbox One sales had been zero for the whole of 2019, and the Switch made up the difference since June, but that's extremely unlikely as noted above.

Xbox is still way, way behind Playstation 4 (having broken 100 million since then), but if anyone's in semi-distant third, it's still the (much younger) Switch (which is presumably going to be around for the next consoles too).

(Ironically, I posted something pretty similar in the Staadia thread a few months ago...and said basically the same thing.)

EDIT: Wouldn't those NPD numbers also include digital PC sales? Assuming either Microsoft (or for that matter Valve, if time allowed) participated? So it's not necessarily single-platform?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Steam's numbers are excluded, as they are PC sales. There's no true difference between a PC and a console game purchase for Play Anywhere titles, including Gamepass ones, so they are very likely included.

edit: AFIAK, Steam players do get crossplay with Xbox players.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Steam's numbers are excluded, as they are PC sales. There's no true difference between a PC and a console game purchase for Play Anywhere titles, including Gamepass ones, so they are very likely included.

edit: AFIAK, Steam players do get crossplay with Xbox players.

I would hope. Otherwise, considering the usual PC multiplayer drop-off, that's basically going to become a co-op only.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I remember a lot of buttmad that Killer Instinct didn't crossplay between storefronts, I do hope they learned from that lol

• Options
    I remember a lot of buttmad that Killer Instinct didn't crossplay between storefronts, I do hope they learned from that lol

KI on Steam does crossplay with Xbox One now, though maybe not on Windows 7. Maybe it didn't back in 2017, but that's not surprising. "Butthurt" indeed.

• Options
    SO...if you've already used the $1 deal and are in the mood to horde Game Pass Ultimate subscription time further, you can buy 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate from Amazon for $45, and get another 3 months as a promotional. Half a year for $45 is...not too bad.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    SO...if you've already used the $1 deal and are in the mood to horde Game Pass Ultimate subscription time further, you can buy 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate from Amazon for $45, and get another 3 months as a promotional. Half a year for $45 is...not too bad.

nice. i had £15 worth of credit on my Amazon account so this only cost me £18. got an extra month on top of it for turning on recurring billing too.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

nice. i had £15 worth of credit on my Amazon account so this only cost me £18. got an extra month on top of it for turning on recurring billing too.

Now you're being a smart consumer. I have an Amazon Credit Card (and some Amazon store credit from a gift card)...I might get it just to horde-for-peace-of-mind, though I wonder if I can load 6 months onto early 2022.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like Major Nelson will be giving away 6 months of Game Pass Ultimate today too. not a guarantee obviously, but worth a punt i'd say.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Doh! This is what I get for not remembering my Twitter password!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

'12345'

• Options

'12345'

That's the sort of code an idiot would have on his luggage.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

By "third", I think you probably mean second (unless Windows PC counts?). The Switch reported almost 37 million units sold as of the Summer of this year--Microsoft stopped reporting sales a while ago, but the Xbox One likely broke 41 million by the end of 2018. Since Xbox hardware sales have held steady after a "minor drop", unless the Switch sales number are many million higher since the end of June...it's still well in third. Possibly even "semi-distant"....maybe if Xbox One sales had been zero for the whole of 2019, and the Switch made up the difference since June, but that's extremely unlikely as noted above.

Xbox is still way, way behind Playstation 4 (having broken 100 million since then), but if anyone's in semi-distant third, it's still the (much younger) Switch (which is presumably going to be around for the next consoles too).

(Ironically, I posted something pretty similar in the Staadia thread a few months ago...and said basically the same thing.)

EDIT: Wouldn't those NPD numbers also include digital PC sales? Assuming either Microsoft (or for that matter Valve, if time allowed) participated? So it's not necessarily single-platform?

Should have specified I was going for current sales rate, sorry.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

'12345'

That's the sort of code an idiot would have on his luggage.

Dammit Jazz! Now I gotta change the code on my luggage!

Also, that's what I get for not Twittering.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Should have specified I was going for current sales rate, sorry.

Ah. It sounded like you were talking about install base.

'12345'

It's not that! It's certainly not that backwards ending in an exclamation mark either!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's 'The Final Countdown', isn't it?

• Options
    Eh, that would've worked better if an actual countdown from five were in the lyrics.

So, I've made my personal distaste for subscription models in general known. That aside--remember Xbox All Access, which came and left without a trace?

It's coming back, for US, UK and Australia. It will incorporate Ultimate Game Pass (to no one's surprise). Perhaps more surprisingly, there will also be an upgrade path to Project Scarlett come Holiday 2020 (then again, Microsoft obviously wants to get those unit sales numbers up).

The next logical step will be Microsoft to step in as an ISP...

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hey guys, got a Gamepass question:

So Outer Worlds is out and it has caught my attention. I've seen a number of articles saying its available on Gamepass for Xbox and Windows PC so I'm like 'Great, I'd love this on PC!'. However, whenever I search it on the Windows Store via Xbox companion app the store page states that it's only available for Xbox One. So my question is - IS IT available for PC via gamepass or have I been getting the wrong idea? If it is, how do?

Edit: Ignore me, I'm an idiot, carry on.

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options

So Outer Worlds is out and it has caught my attention. I've seen a number of articles saying its available on Gamepass for Xbox and Windows PC so I'm like 'Great, I'd love this on PC!'. However, whenever I search it on the Windows Store via Xbox companion app the store page states that it's only available for Xbox One. So my question is - IS IT available for PC via gamepass or have I been getting the wrong idea? If it is, how do?

Ah, was your search set to Xbox games? That's what I'd guess.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

Ah, was your search set to Xbox games? That's what I'd guess.

Yeah. Normally when I download games I select the Windows for PC tab and search down the list there for what I want. This time round I instead just typed it into the search bar but didn't consider that there'd be a filter there too, so I ended up with the Xbox One version every time.

Panic Over!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So, I think Modern Warfare takes the whole rather vile near-sociopathic 21st century video game woke jingoism of the franchise to its disturbingly revisionist inevitability. But most people don't give a shit about that, and they want to shoot dudes, which the game does provide, on top of being visually extremely impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEraHTENsQY

I believe it runs smoothest on PSFro thanks to more aggressive use of adaptive resolutions, which is important. I didn't watch the whole thing.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    hey so what is "woke" about jingoism, what the hell does that mean

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hey so what is "woke" about jingoism, what the hell does that mean

Short version: Call of Duty, as a franchise, has had a lot of trouble marketing female story protagonist over many titles (and has gotten unflattering attention for that), both in comparison to its immediate rivals (like Battlefield) and ultra-cinematic action video games in general. Infinity Ward, accordingly, made a point about marketing one of the player characters as a female partisan fighter in a fictional Middle East country, challenging both societal conventions (or at least an American view of foreign societal conventions--quite a few conservative cultures don't have the exact same hangups about arming women in total warfare that the United States, isolated from domestic invasion, might), and the expectations of the franchise reboot. Call of Duty also proudly boasts about how the franchise is the final answer in "realistic and detailed military warfare simulation" (their words) and how they have always looked to be on the cutting edge of real-world geopolitical conflicts, and believe they've done so here....by taking the Iraq War (which basically defined the original Modern Warfare in 2007) and asking the difficult question, "Hey, what if it was the Russians who invaded the country after we begged them not to, and were running around doing horrible things, and America had to come in and save the day?"

Or so they teased it in the months before release. If you remember the actual political climate of 2007--for years after the invasion of Iraq, when a lot of accusations were being leveled at Russia, Iran, Syria, and other countries for secretly undermining the United States in the Middle East--it's actually a pretty gross revisionist view of history, even for a fictional one. Granted, this is also the franchise where you (can) shoot up a airport full of Russian people, so they've been escalating things somewhat. So the American Highway of Death becomes a Russian one because, hey, it'd be a cool thing to have in a video game?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    In news someone might actually care about, or at least I've mentioned it previously here: Playstation Vue is shutting down in January 2020.

Before I ended my own cable subscription, ads for it were actually quite prolific.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I didn't really pay attention to the pre-release stuff so I didn't hear about a female character at all, but yeah I had seen that Highway of Death thing and it completely fucking sucks

It's such a bummer that the multiplayer is so fun because literally everything else about it is so gross

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The only thing stupider than playing the rerelease of LEGO Harry Potter instead of the million other games I’ve bought, is putting in the time to 100% it only to end up with a glitch that keeps me at 99%

I am knee deep in the sunk cost fallacy

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    The only thing stupider than playing the rerelease of LEGO Harry Potter instead of the million other games I’ve bought, is putting in the time to 100% it only to end up with a glitch that keeps me at 99%

Ha, I managed to break free of the LEGO games franchise years ago... just stopped buying them. the addition of season passes helped. prolly going to go back and do lego undercover though.

• Options
    Lucky me, I don't think they ever really appealed to me.

Though I do like Legos, on the rare occasions I see them. It never translated into a video game format though.

• Options
    Lucky me, I don't think they ever really appealed to me.

Though I do like Legos, on the rare occasions I see them. It never translated into a video game format though.

They are all more or less the same adventure platformer with core mechanics reflavored to fit the franchise they have licensed.

• Options
    I liked Lego Star Wars well enough to begin with but burned out quickly. I've acquired a few more since through Humble Bundles and the like but have never been able to stick with them for long.

I like seeing how some things translate visually to the Lego aesthetic, though. Star Wars is obviously perfect. Jurassic Park/World looks good in Lego too.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Prohass wrote: »

Ha, I managed to break free of the LEGO games franchise years ago... just stopped buying them. the addition of season passes helped. prolly going to go back and do lego undercover though.

I rarely buy them anymore but my sister and I are massive Harry Potter fans so I waited for this to go on special. I definitely no longer try to 100% them, but I made the exception here and it bit me in the ass

Also while the gameplay is definitely the same old same old I actually liked LEGO undercover cos it was it’s own story not related to any franchise, which was refreshing. and I found all the cop and action movie references delightful. It’s on gamepass I think?

Prohass on
  • Options
    I liked Lego Star Wars well enough to begin with but burned out quickly. I've acquired a few more since through Humble Bundles and the like but have never been able to stick with them for long.

I like seeing how some things translate visually to the Lego aesthetic, though. Star Wars is obviously perfect. Jurassic Park/World looks good in Lego too.

LEGO lost a lot of charm once they gave them actual voices.

I have a bunch of LEGO games on my backlog since I use them for a relatively easy 1000gs any time I need something to close the gap to a specific milestone.

And they still need to make LEGO Back to the Future.

• Options
    Yeah, having the characters just miming was super charming. It definitely lost that by voicing them.