[The Outer Worlds] Like New Vegas but with the color green

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I love that the speedrun path is just the worst of all possible worlds

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Vicar Max
    is far and away my favourite companion. He and Parvati had the most time spent on them, I feel. Which kinda makes sense since they're the first two you'll likely recruit.

I absolutely love his side quest where he loses his cool and you can talk him down from doing something he later tells you he absolutely would have regretted, and then there's the vision quest. I brought Felix along for the ride and it was pretty amusing to me to hear him take the hallucination's side against Max and berate him for the fun of it. In the end, I helped him find inner peace, and the incidental dialogues with other characters changed afterward, with each of the other companions remarking that Max doesn't seem quite the same since his little drug trip

Re: Max
    He also changes his comments when you use his special abillity. Love that!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I love that there's an option to steal peoples stuff right in front of them and then respond with "what, you gonna do something about it?" to get away with it when they catch you. I l enjoy doing this to the douchy corporate types.

It's actually one of the first games to make me feel like my character itself is really truly strong and powerful in-universe and not just "you've leveled up a bunch so now you can one shot everyone" or "you're important to the story so you're automatically the strongest" video games style strong and powerful. I really, really like this game a lot. It's most likely my GOTY unless JFO surprises everyone.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I love that there's an option to steal peoples stuff right in front of them and then respond with "what, you gonna do something about it?" to get away with it when they catch you. I l enjoy doing this to the douchy corporate types.
    You get XP for doing so, even.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I’m disappointed in the ending cinematic in that “secret ending”.
    Instead of showing the ship slowly approach the star and fade to black, they should have shown the ship Skip towards the sun, then you just see a little “POOF” where it runs into the star in the distance. Hilarity.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

It's actually one of the first games to make me feel like my character itself is really truly strong and powerful in-universe and not just "you've leveled up a bunch so now you can one shot everyone" or "you're important to the story so you're automatically the strongest" video games style strong and powerful. I really, really like this game a lot. It's most likely my GOTY unless JFO surprises everyone.

I’m honestly really glad the game does not do the Elder Scrolls thing of all seeing and knowing guards and npcs who can see and hear you stealing from entirely different buildings.

It’s not terribly challenging to take things in this game, but I’m a big fan of being able to do it and then just talk or bribe your way out of it. Really what is some random ass space joe going to do against me and my two heavily armed friends?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    (Though, I'm personally more partial to "Hey, you just stole that right in front of me," "No I didn't.")

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Where do I get marauder and iconoclast gear for the Byzantium fashion mission? Keep in mind I’ve pretty much already scrapped all the stuff I found on monarch and did all the monarch missions already

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Where do I get marauder and iconoclast gear for the Byzantium fashion mission? Keep in mind I’ve pretty much already scrapped all the stuff I found on monarch and did all the monarch missions already

Anything from the random marauder patrols in the wilds works just make sure that they say marauder in the description.. you can buy iconoclast armor in their town store.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I just finished it, I loved it, the story in particular! I liked the themes of the game, and how things build up to the end. I would have liked it more if it were longer and you got more build up and more time with a lot of the characters. It has a great conclusion but the scale of the story is a little incongruous with the scale of the game itself.
    I would love a sequel that digs into what’s going on with Earth

Winky on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Does SAM not have a companion quest? I'm late in the game just getting to Byzantium and he's just happily scrubbing away grime on the ship without complaint.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Does SAM not have a companion quest? I'm late in the game just getting to Byzantium and he's just happily scrubbing away grime on the ship without complaint.

Making him is apparently his companion quest.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Making him is apparently his companion quest.

Boo. Obsidian missed their chance to make a side quest for finding compatible plugs and a jacks for SAM and ADA.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    (Though, I'm personally more partial to "Hey, you just stole that right in front of me," "No I didn't.")

My favorite was telling a sentry drone that it was clearly malfunctioning and threatening to alert a mechanical engineer if it didn’t go away.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I'm playing a space cave man but started raising my speech skill becuase I want more intimidate options badly.

I only feel like 70% of the bully for hire that I'm supposed to be without it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    For people who have beaten the game, I’m up to
    tartarus the prison planet, is this the end of the game? Do you end up going to all the planets in the galaxy map or are some just for show?

Also the game freezes every time I see the counseller or head evil guy whatever, hope this isn’t permanent

Prohass on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    tartarus the prison planet, is this the end of the game? Do you end up going to all the planets in the galaxy map or are some just for show?

Also the game freezes every time I see the counseller or head evil guy whatever, hope this isn’t permanent

It is. You do not.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Aistan wrote: »

It is. You do not.

That’s a bummer

Also this crash before you enter the final room is a fucking piece of work. I’ve tried entering the other way and dismissing my companions, just crashes whenever I get near the guy. Guess I can’t finish the game till they patch this

Edit: Ok finally it worked, dismisses my companions, I hope I’m not missing out on any neat dialogue with them, ah well

The ending
    was ok but a bit rushed, and I would’ve liked a few missions spent gathering up your allies and seeing them again, instead of them just kind of showing up, I mean how did they even know what you were doing?

Prohass on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

It is. You do not.

That’s a bummer

Also this crash before you enter the final room is a fucking piece of work. I’ve tried entering the other way and dismissing my companions, just crashes whenever I get near the guy. Guess I can’t finish the game till they patch this

Edit: Ok finally it worked, dismisses my companions, I hope I’m not missing out on any neat dialogue with them, ah well

The ending
    was ok but a bit rushed, and I would’ve liked a few missions spent gathering up your allies and seeing them again, instead of them just kind of showing up, I mean how did they even know what you were doing?

Are you on PC? I found lowering the graphics helped.

• Options
    Got a question about the main questline and siding with the companies.
    Collecting the bounty on Phineas isn't the end, right? Planning to go after him soon for that sweet cash but still got a lot of other stuff to do.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Collecting the bounty on Phineas isn't the end, right? Planning to go after him soon for that sweet cash but still got a lot of other stuff to do.

Going to leave this unspoilered because it gets asked a bunch and isn’t really much of a spoiler:

Choosing to side with the Corporations instead of Phineas is not a game-ender, it just leads to an alternate pathway similar to getting kicked out of the institute in fallout 4 or choosing not to side with any faction in Tyranny that eventually dovetails with the main plot. It will not hose your game or anything similar if you want to go that route.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

I’m honestly really glad the game does not do the Elder Scrolls thing of all seeing and knowing guards and npcs who can see and hear you stealing from entirely different buildings.

It’s not terribly challenging to take things in this game, but I’m a big fan of being able to do it and then just talk or bribe your way out of it. Really what is some random ass space joe going to do against me and my two heavily armed friends?

I did have a guard run into a room after I shot someone without a suppressor but that makes sense, if a guard hears a gunshot go off of course he's gonna run into the room.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Now to see if space chickens or sprats count as witnesses to crimes.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

It is. You do not.

That’s a bummer

The ending

I was having a crash every time I went through a particular door. I found a video of someone with the same issue glitching some geometry ,going around and coming through the door you're supposed to exit from. Strangely this worked.

Riboflavin on
  • Options
    I tried that, for me it crashed still. Only way I got it to work was dismissing my companions and then using that method. Also I keep hearing about a secret ending?

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Going to leave this unspoilered because it gets asked a bunch and isn’t really much of a spoiler:

Choosing to side with the Corporations instead of Phineas is not a game-ender, it just leads to an alternate pathway similar to getting kicked out of the institute in fallout 4 or choosing not to side with any faction in Tyranny that eventually dovetails with the main plot. It will not hose your game or anything similar if you want to go that route.
    Thanks. Appreciate it.

I figured as much but I'm also abit paranoid.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The banter that occurs between SAM and Parvati is the absolute best/sweetest comrade banter ever.

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    I tried that, for me it crashed still. Only way I got it to work was dismissing my companions and then using that method. Also I keep hearing about a secret ending?

I tried EVERYTHING to get past that bug (well, everything related to game settings) and never could get past it. I was eventually able to get past it by just shooting the bad man in the room from outside and it worked after that. I'm hoping it's fixed by the time I reach it on my second (and a half) playthrough.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    Hilarious bug for when I ended the game
    For some reason there was a bug that made it think that Parvati was dead (she was very much alive), so when it got to her part in the epilogue it was just like a one line "Parvati died during your adventures" and that was a "What the fuck!?" moment for me for sure.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    For some reason there was a bug that made it think that Parvati was dead (she was very much alive), so when it got to her part in the epilogue it was just like a one line "Parvati died during your adventures" and that was a "What the fuck!?" moment for me for sure.
    "Parvati died on the way back to her home planet."

• Options
    The banter that occurs between SAM and Parvati is the absolute best/sweetest comrade banter ever.
    Its a nice lil character bit with Parvati reminding you of how much more comfortable/outgoing she is with machines than people and how attached she gets to them.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    End game slides.
    Two things seemed weird in my slides. Parvati's not having any mention of the lady that she was talking to seemed odd. It being the focal point of her quest and all and then just... nothing.

And then Nyoka having a moment in her quest where we talk about how her old crew was like her family but now she has an all new family. And then her slide is all about her just leaving to go off and do other stuff.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Did you finish her quest? I think you have to talk to her a few times to get a new aspect of it to trigger

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

That bug can happen with multiple companions, and if you run into it before you complete their companion quest, it will cause the quest to instantly fail (or fail immediately upon acquiring the quest, if you haven't done so yet). The bug is preventing me from completing Felix's quest, for example. I've been trying to avoid playing the game for the past few days, hoping it will get patched, but no such luck.

According to publisher Private Division, the bug is caused by talking to an NPC or interacting with a terminal while your companion is climbing on a ladder. For some reason, this causes the game to think your companion died. It's too late for me, so all I can do is give this warning to others! Always make sure your companion isn't on a ladder before interacting with anything!

• Options

That bug can happen with multiple companions, and if you run into it before you complete their companion quest, it will cause the quest to instantly fail (or fail immediately upon acquiring the quest, if you haven't done so yet). The bug is preventing me from completing Felix's quest, for example. I've been trying to avoid playing the game for the past few days, hoping it will get patched, but no such luck.

According to publisher Private Division, the bug is caused by talking to an NPC or interacting with a terminal while your companion is climbing on a ladder. For some reason, this causes the game to think your companion died. It's too late for me, so all I can do is give this warning to others! Always make sure your companion isn't on a ladder before interacting with anything!

My headcanon will now be that Parvati tragically fell off a ladder and died a few moments after the credit scroll.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Did you finish her quest? I think you have to talk to her a few times to get a new aspect of it to trigger

I mean the quest was completed in the log and she did do the "I have something to say" thing any more times. She was on my team all game so if she had something to say it should have popped up, yea?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I mean the quest was completed in the log and she did do the "I have something to say" thing any more times. She was on my team all game so if she had something to say it should have popped up, yea?

It might depend if the game already considers her dead. I noticed her mission said she had died even though she was still on my ship, and that was early in the game, so I reloaded and everything was fine after that.

• Options

It might depend if the game already considers her dead. I noticed her mission said she had died even though she was still on my ship, and that was early in the game, so I reloaded and everything was fine after that.

Oh no I'm not the one who had her dead. She was alive in her credits thing. It just didn't mention the situation from her quest at all which seemed weird.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

What was the result of the
    Date?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

What was the result of the
    Date?
    Huh. So there's an entire second companion quest for her? Weird. She legit never left my team all game and I just never saw it.
    Oh well!