As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Outer Worlds] Like New Vegas but with the color green

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Getting this done was like herding cats. The debuffs last 2 seconds so you have to switch weapons fast and make sure your companions are attacking and not reloading and you can't kill the enemy prematurely.
    Giving your companions the melee weapons (Prismatic Hammer, Mandibular Rearranger) and setting their behaviors to Close/Melee/Aggressive mitigates the reloading issue. You still have to swap your own weapons quickly and have a bit of luck on your side, but, you know, there's one fewer proverbial cat to worry about that way.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Also weapon damage is tied to durability. Drop the durability to low to help avoid killing your target too quickly.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    End game spoilers
    o7hklhuaiazt.png
    So there's the Hope's captain who fought off a drill-wielding Frank.
    wmwjs1y1ieyw.png
    And there's Frank the cannibal who almost got into the control room.

But I don't see Rez anywhere, the third person also locked in the control room.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Spoilers for random guard interaction:
    <I get caught>

Guard: "Let me see your identification"

Me: [persuade] "You don't need to see my identification"

Guard: "What?"

Me: "You don't need to see my identification"

Guard: ".....I don't need to see your identification"

Me: "Move along"

Guard: "Move along"

Ba5rdrP.jpg

God I love this game so much

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    <I get caught>

Ba5rdrP.jpg

The one smart guard in the whole system.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    <I get caught>

Ba5rdrP.jpg

Surely you are aware that this is A New Hope reference. I used the force on him!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    <I get caught>

Ba5rdrP.jpg

Surely you are aware that this is A New Hope reference. I used the force on him!

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    In a similar vein
    while aboard the abandoned space station I'm pinged by a corporate Gunship looking to bring reinforcements. I used my charm and speech skill checks to talk my way out of it, but there is a regular dialogue option available that goes, "We're all fine here. How are you?"

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yeah I would have 100% clicked that even if it wasn't as effective.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dialogue stuff in the meat plant.
    I liked how when you get caught by the robot guards there you had the option of just confusing their logic cells or whatever they called them in order to avoid giving them ID.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Finished this tonight. Overall I think it was good, but I do think it dragged on a bit near the end. I was kind of running out of steam to keep playing so I'm glad it wrapped up when it did.

As far as the way the ending worked...
    Seemed like a fine way to do it, but some of the little vignettes didn't real jive. Some seemed doom and gloom because of one decision or another, then it would be followed by a "but you're fucking awesome, so lets go!" kind of vignette. I also found some of the companion ones less than satisfying. Not a word about Junlei in Parvati's vignette? Just didn't seem to end her story thread well at all.

I'm also kind of sad there wasn't a single clue about why Earth and the other colonies went completely dark. Sequel material I guess?

All in all I thought it was good, worth the play through. I still feel something about Fallout's open world and strange chaos that occurs because of it's fully interactive world is missed in a hub and spoke game like this...but I can see why Obsidian did it. With a small team and probably 20% the budget a Fallout game has, they had to actually make a game they could finish without it being a complete mess. All in all, despite it's warts, it was a fun romp.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Finished this tonight. Overall I think it was good, but I do think it dragged on a bit near the end. I was kind of running out of steam to keep playing so I'm glad it wrapped up when it did.

As far as the way the ending worked...
    Seemed like a fine way to do it, but some of the little vignettes didn't real jive. Some seemed doom and gloom because of one decision or another, then it would be followed by a "but you're fucking awesome, so lets go!" kind of vignette. I also found some of the companion ones less than satisfying. Not a word about Junlei in Parvati's vignette? Just didn't seem to end her story thread well at all.

I'm also kind of sad there wasn't a single clue about why Earth and the other colonies went completely dark. Sequel material I guess?

All in all I thought it was good, worth the play through. I still feel something about Fallout's open world and strange chaos that occurs because of it's fully interactive world is missed in a hub and spoke game like this...but I can see why Obsidian did it. With a small team and probably 20% the budget a Fallout game has, they had to actually make a game they could finish without it being a complete mess. All in all, despite it's warts, it was a fun romp.
    The Earth thing is total sequel bait yeah, but I'm pretty sure I got an epilogue with Parvati and Junlei, maybe you didn't progress it far enough? Did you successfully arrange their date?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Re: Ending stuff in above spoilers
    Parvati's quest is a bit weird in that you both have to complete the first part and then do a quest without her in your party such that she has time to go on the date. After that happens you can have another talk with her. If you get to having her ask her out BUT don't give her a chance to actually do so then it doesn't happen and you don't get the possibility of a follow up

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Finished my first playthrough and on to number two. On the ending, it was fine and motivated me on my second playthrough to do more things until their conclusion.

Do we have a sense of what the best melee weapon is? Is it just a tinkered up science weapon?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished the game this weekend
    I got the security card for Tartarus, so I could just walk around mostly. But then my allies kept sending in support squads to 'help'. I didn't know whether to help them out and blow my cover or stay undercover and let them die. Kind of awkward. I got squads from Groundbreaker, MSI, and Iconoclasts.

I got all good ending slides. The only mixed one was Lilya Hagen being paranoid about aliens because I didn't kill that scientist for her. That was one decision I was wondering about, though. I spared the scientist since she was working on food problems, and she and her work weren't mentioned at all. She didn't even show up in Phineas' ship after I told her to go there.

Good game, though way too easy by the end. Should have bumped it to Hard at some point. Once I got 100 Science and tinkered all the science guns up to my level, they would just melt people. The mind control ray killed them before they could even turn around and shoot their friends.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Parvati's quest is a bit weird in that you both have to complete the first part and then do a quest without her in your party such that she has time to go on the date. After that happens you can have another talk with her. If you get to having her ask her out BUT don't give her a chance to actually do so then it doesn't happen and you don't get the possibility of a follow up
    I guess I never did the follow up part. I'll probably load my pre-PoNR save and finish her quest, just to do it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I guess I never did the follow up part. I'll probably load my pre-PoNR save and finish her quest, just to do it.
    Same thing happened to me and I mentioned the same thing here haha. She never left my party and never popped up as having another quest so I never knew her second quest even existed.

• Options
    Also re: Difficulty. It was way too easy by the end. I never even delved in to Science Weapons (though I did get them all), but just my tinkered lvl 35 shock Assault Rifle Ultra was way more than enough. If anything I felt like my offense was absurd, but my defense was not (despite wearing tinkered heavy armor). I assume this was a specific resist thing, where I needed to tailor my armor to have more plasma and shock resist...but I never felt the need to delve too far in to it on normal difficulty.

I have too much on my gaming plate to replay this right now, but I may replay it one of these days on a harder difficulty going for some different story choices.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Maxed out Prismatic Hammer destroys everything, even on Supernova.

Finished the game yesterday.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Maxed out Prismatic Hammer destroys everything, even on Supernova.

Finished the game yesterday.

Prismatic Hammer is crazy OP.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Pretty much the same feeling when I finished my run over the weekend.

The last parts of the game felt a lot less open to exploration than the previous parts which didn't help things. And Byzantium just wasn't that interesting of a place.

Lack of enemy variety also played a part IMO. You weren't seeing new threats, just scaled up versions of people and robots.
    Also re: Difficulty. It was way too easy by the end. I never even delved in to Science Weapons (though I did get them all), but just my tinkered lvl 35 shock Assault Rifle Ultra was way more than enough. If anything I felt like my offense was absurd, but my defense was not (despite wearing tinkered heavy armor). I assume this was a specific resist thing, where I needed to tailor my armor to have more plasma and shock resist...but I never felt the need to delve too far in to it on normal difficulty.

I have too much on my gaming plate to replay this right now, but I may replay it one of these days on a harder difficulty going for some different story choices.

I played on Hard and even then I could melt a lot of enemies pretty quickly with max science, long guns, and weapons modded for corrosion damage. But I could also be torn up pretty quickly if I got overwhelmed. A good Medical skill meant I could recover from that if I found some cover but I had to pay attention.

Overall it felt like a good fit. Things weren't so tanky that a few shots to a weak point wouldn't down them but I couldn't go on cruise control.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Yea it never felt crazy hard but if you played on hard and did not get the perk for 50% extra hp(that seems like such a huge single point first tier perk) you go down pretty fast as well. But never in a bad way because you had lots of tools to avoid that and stay alive. But if you jumped into something without being prepared or paying attention you will die and do so very fast.

• Options
    Yea it never felt crazy hard but if you played on hard and did not get the perk for 50% extra hp(that seems like such a huge single point first tier perk) you go down pretty fast as well. But never in a bad way because you had lots of tools to avoid that and stay alive. But if you jumped into something without being prepared or paying attention you will die and do so very fast.

My first death was right after the tutorials. Instead going into Edgewater, I was curious what was in the crash site just past the ship. Turns out exploring randomly on Hard without any companions is not a good idea early on.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Finished my first playthrough and on to number two. On the ending, it was fine and motivated me on my second playthrough to do more things until their conclusion.

Do we have a sense of what the best melee weapon is? Is it just a tinkered up science weapon?

It is indeed either of the science melee weapons if only because theyre much cheaper to upgrade than others... buuut otherwise.

Regular melee weapons are stronger due to having better critical hit multipliers(though less crit chance, this matters less due to top end perks) and being able to add mods

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

My first death was right after the tutorials. Instead going into Edgewater, I was curious what was in the crash site just past the ship. Turns out exploring randomly on Hard without any companions is not a good idea early on.

Oh yea they killed me too. And then I tried a few more times to kite them before I gave up and decided to come back later with a friend (and it was still close!)

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm on Supernova and the only difficult part of it is if companions drop, they are perma dead. So my alpha strike has to be good, or I have to send them behind cover and hope they dont draw aggro.

I've still only died to Primals and this one flying mech suit outside a robot laboratory.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I gave my companions beefed up Light Machineguns on Supernova, worked very well, also strongest heavy armor I could find, you can also set them to “Defensive” then they only attack if you order them to.

I think all my armors are 110 now, most people barely hurt me at this point, even on Supernova.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Beat it and got the good ending. I'm super happy with the game. I really hope it gets a sequel.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I gave my companions beefed up Light Machineguns on Supernova, worked very well, also strongest heavy armor I could find, you can also set them to “Defensive” then they only attack if you order them to.

I think all my armors are 110 now, most people barely hurt me at this point, even on Supernova.

You can also have companions take a perk to generate 30% less aggro.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »

It is indeed either of the science melee weapons if only because theyre much cheaper to upgrade than others... buuut otherwise.

Regular melee weapons are stronger due to having better critical hit multipliers(though less crit chance, this matters less due to top end perks) and being able to add mods

The Prismatic Hammer's claim to fame is the charged power attack. For normal attacks, it's not that outstanding.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Huh the level cap is 30, felt like I reached it fast. But I think I'm almost done, I'm at the part where I'm about to
    break Welles out of prison.

• Options
    suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was surprised at the speed of leveling if you're doing all the side quests and such.

To me TOW feels like a testing of the waters for Obsidian on how much appetite there is in 2019 for an FNV-like RPG game. TOW's RPG elements feel very light, and in general, while the stories and world building are good, a lot of the game feels somehow very shallow.

Am hoping that they use what they've got and iterate on the world and systems to create a more extensive RPG.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah I’ve noticed that NPCs don’t have a daily routine, named NPCs and vendors stand still 24/7, making sneaking about to pickpocket not as fun.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Killed Ellie's parents in front of her with a minigun and she left my crew. Well, excuse me.
    This is why I only hang out with Parvati and Sam.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I've already beaten the game but maybe put that in spoilers as that would be specific quest related stuff.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I've already beaten the game but maybe put that in spoilers as that would be specific quest related stuff.
    Didn't figure it was that big of a deal since Ellie mentions she has parents on Byzantium pretty early on and its well known you can kill everybody but I went ahead and tagged it to be sure. I don't want to be a dick.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Finished the game this week and got the "good" ending except that I missed
    three whole companions, which makes me wish the game telegraphed the existence of the other three as heavily it does throwing Socially Awkward Engineer Gal, Seething With Rage Priest Dad, and Crazy Bug Hunter Lady directly into the main quest line

Lawndart on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think you tried extra hard to miss 3. 1 of them you have to ignore the entire game to miss so is pretty telegraphed. The other 2 I see your point.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Sam blasting off to get to an elevated area gets me every time its happen.

*quietly searching through box before sound of robot using jets and then slamming down*

"AWW FUCK. ARE WE UNDER FIRE?!"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Killed Ellie's parents in front of her with a minigun and she left my crew. Well, excuse me.
    This is why I only hang out with Parvati and Sam.

I don't know atrocity you could do to make Sam leave the party. Maybe not using a coaster for your drink?