Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Clan Timber Wolf OmniMech
    Even understanding how healthcare plans work are above my intelligence level

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year + $500 deduct = $1700/year min expense. $1200 + $2500 = $3700 max expense.

HDHP - $203/year + $3000 deduct - $1000 employer contribution = $2200/year min expense. $200 + $5500 - $1000 = $4700 max expense

Shark, your numbers are off. Minimum expense would be $0 utilization which would make it

Buy up plan - $1200/year

HDHP - ($797)/year min expense. (premium minus employer contribtion)

I have a hard time conceiving a world where you don't hit the deductible in a year but yes you're right

For my personal calculus I always assume the deduct will get hit because that's literally a single hospital trip

as someone who doesn't have any insurance until Jan 1,

cool. cool cool cool.

bullshit item number like, 400358 in our healthcare system is how it's all tied to employment

Yup. I can get COBRA until 12/31 backdated to 11/1 for the low low cost of $4000, or I can pay $400 here to have a $1000 here to have a plan with a $2000 deductible for December.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year + $500 deduct = $1700/year min expense. $1200 + $2500 = $3700 max expense.

HDHP - $203/year + $3000 deduct - $1000 employer contribution = $2200/year min expense. $200 + $5500 - $1000 = $4700 max expense

Shark, your numbers are off. Minimum expense would be $0 utilization which would make it

Buy up plan - $1200/year

I have a hard time conceiving a world where you don't hit the deductible in a year but yes you're right

For my personal calculus I always assume the deduct will get hit because that's literally a single hospital trip

cool. cool cool cool.

Does changing jobs not counts as a QLE? I thought it did.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Agumon
    Technically this is all MrsNub's insurance. Mine is free and amazing because I'm a postdoc working at a hospital. I think once we're married we'll strongly consider switching her onto mine.

Personally I'm leaning towards the "buy up" plan because it seems safer and more predictable. But I'll share all this with her later. Thanks guys, you've really helped me parse all this shit.

• Options
    Agumon
    bowen wrote: »
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

it does

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

bullshit item number like, 400358 in our healthcare system is how it's all tied to employment

Yup. I can get COBRA until 12/31 backdated to 11/1 for the low low cost of $4000, or I can pay $400 here to have a $1000 here to have a plan with a $2000 deductible for December.

when I got laid off after the crash in 2008 they were like...you can have COBRA for $ENTIREUNEMPLOYMENTCHECK and I was like that's cool guys let me get back to you

and then porp had sudden hearing loss in her ear and the doc was like well you need an MRI to check for a brain tumor and we were like lol ok guess we'll just hope it isn't one

thankfully once I did get insurance again the MRI came back negative because otherwise im sure we would have gotten told that her tumor was a preexisting condition

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Agumon
    I had obamacare for like a month between grad school and starting here.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Reading these last few pages I want to hug my insurance plan and never let go.

I've never hit my $3000 deductible and this is with having 2 fairly expensive surgeries that after everything was negotiated came out to a few hundred $$.

I'm sure this will all change if I ever go off the "single" plan.

DRX is on my plan and I think I pay like $320 per month for it. But it's pretty good coverage. I just got the bill for my IUD --- it was $1,463 but the portion not covered by insurance is $8.12. I'll pay it gladly.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Agumon
    VishNub wrote: »
    Technically this is all MrsNub's insurance. Mine is free and amazing because I'm a postdoc working at a hospital. I think once we're married we'll strongly consider switching her onto mine.

Personally I'm leaning towards the "buy up" plan because it seems safer and more predictable. But I'll share all this with her later. Thanks guys, you've really helped me parse all this shit.

Have we?

I'm more confused than when we started

I mean I think I know what it means now. Which is different from which is "best"

• Options
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

I haven't changed jobs since ACA kicked in but I remember having to wait until like, the next open enrollment period or w/e before my benefits kicked in. or maybe it was just that they were allowed to not provide benefits during the "trial" employment phase?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ryu
    Honk wrote: »
    Even understanding how healthcare plans work are above my intelligence level

All you need to know is you get a big bill a month later no matter what you pick.
    ABk8f5b.jpg

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    luv 2 pay out the ass for insurance that covers nothing

• Options
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

I think something happened and he missed the enrollment period

QLE means you have 60 days from when that event happens to enroll in the new health insurance via the new company or on the exchange. I assume deebs is waiting because it's a raw deal to hop on it now and pay the predated/postdated premiums or something like that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

The eligibility here was 1 month after the 1st. I started on 10/28, so they wont let me get on the plan until 12/1. Oddly, I still got 100% of the annual 11/1 stock giveaway.

• Options
    Agumon
    Elendil wrote: »

I mean I didn't use it, but it covered most stuff?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Rum Tum Tugger
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

One of the few advantages to working in the DC Metro areas, is that companies that offer no or very shitty insurance, get scalped for employees, especially if they have clearances.

I know most of the competitors in the area and what benefits they offer. I used to use that to be like, hey we have free health insurance day 1. Join us. It was sadly way too effective.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Reading these last few pages I want to hug my insurance plan and never let go.

I've never hit my $3000 deductible and this is with having 2 fairly expensive surgeries that after everything was negotiated came out to a few hundred $$.

I'm sure this will all change if I ever go off the "single" plan.

I find that getting a large pharmaceutical company to pay my deductible works out really well for me.

Well aside from that up to a month before the first treatment hits insurance and where I get financially ruined if I need the ER.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

I haven't changed jobs since ACA kicked in but I remember having to wait until like, the next open enrollment period or w/e before my benefits kicked in. or maybe it was just that they were allowed to not provide benefits during the "trial" employment phase?

yeah ACA changed this, it used to be you had to wait until the next year, but now as long as it's a QLE (something drastic has happened to your financial situation or you changed jobs/locations) you can enroll any time of the year.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Agumon
    I do like that they include the "cost" on your bill like it means anything. It's a completely fictional number that bears no relation to what you pay, what they pay, or what it actually costs in the real world.

I'm not going to be grateful you thieving fucks.

VishNub on
  • Options
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

The eligibility here was 1 month after the 1st. I started on 10/28, so they wont let me get on the plan until 12/1. Oddly, I still got 100% of the annual 11/1 stock giveaway.

That doesn't seem right, but I am not HR so maybe it is.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ryu

Medicare For All or bust.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu

every plan i saw on it was a high deductible monstrosity

lemme just shoot myself in the foot so i can get my money's worth

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Oh my god, current events have fucked my brain so hard that, when the cat jumped on my laptop, what I started to yell was not "Lia! No!" but "Lia! No quid pro quo!"

Have you shared pictures of this new cat

She is a beautiful creature of loveteeth
    l5igyz94zwn4.jpeg

cktz5nbvdw7k.jpeg

6vk8fh7b5mep.gif

4llmf8nrmror.gif
    1o2wh59d30al.jpg

*pounds clipboard*

TEETH TEETH

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Also having no insurance until you hit a 3k deductable is mad scary and will encourage people to not actually go to the doctor (which is the point they want your money for nothing)

Consider that the insurance company doesn't have any incentive to try and fight down the initial costs and that any simple trip to the clinic costs ??? dollars because out system is fucked.

Oh you've gotta a really bad cough... is it pnemonnia? Do you go in, it could cost you $100, it could be $2500?? Who even knows, if you ask they'll just give you a song and dance because they literally also don't know.

So you try and ride it out instead of getting the medical attention you need.

I just switched to the hsa plan because my company bribes you such that it’s numerically better for a single person regardless of risk profile

But it’s not operating this year so when i went in two weeks ago for a cough that isn’t bad at all but won’t go away, the eventual chest x ray cost me $400 and not $900. They didn’t find anything and want me to continue the inhaler steroids

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    a

Buy up plan - $1200/year

cool. cool cool cool.

That doesn't seem right, but I am not HR so maybe it is.
    Some companies do that, generally it's because their HR is so shitty they can't get the paperwork processed fast enough to put them on the 1st (which is standard in this area) or on their first day of employment which was where I worked recently.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Have you all tried being homosexuals and not being able to reproduce

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Goku
    >//ONTOLOGICAL PARACAUSAL PHENOMENON IS FUN:::
    >//SNIPERGUY IS WRITING COMPUTER READOUT STUFF FOR THE LANCER CAMPAIGN:::
    >//WHO WANTS TO EMBRACE AN ELDER GOD MADE OUT OF MATH IT WILL BE FUN I PROMISE:::

• Options
    Agumon

Idk

Mine was like 120/mo I think, but I remember a discussion with a guy in the Bay Area whose cost was like 400/mo for the same plan inexplicably

• Options

what if you're not homosexual but you also do not want to reproduce

is there a club we can all form or something

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    >//ONTOLOGICAL PARACAUSAL PHENOMENON IS FUN:::
    >//SNIPERGUY IS WRITING COMPUTER READOUT STUFF FOR THE LANCER CAMPAIGN:::
    >//WHO WANTS TO EMBRACE AN ELDER GOD MADE OUT OF MATH IT WILL BE FUN I PROMISE:::

I'm gonna need to drop a mobius strip for this

• Options
    a

from what I recall, the exchange plans vary greatly by state since each state was supposed to setup their own exchange and well, some put more effort in then others

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Rum Tum Tugger

Weekly dungeons and dragons group.

Yeah I said it, let's fight, don't @ me.

zepherin on
  • Options
    I spend more on my cats' vet visits than I do on my own healthcare costs

Can I add my cats to my healthcare plan?

Insurance companies better wise up to what the next generation demands.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Rum Tum Tugger

I have an insurance plan for my dog.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Wow this "joke" is a HIGHLY OFFENSIVE statement, it is quite possible for

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Weekly dungeons and dragons group.

Yeah I said it, let's fight, don't @ me.

I dunno our D&D group had all sorts of fucking

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu

1. sort of but i don't understand my own fertility situation

2. one of my best friends from college is thinking about having kids and she's been texting us screenshots from a guidebook to lesbian fertility and reproduction and it sounds like a lot of work!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Clan Timber Wolf OmniMech
    Homosexuals can reproduce! That's what all the gay mind control rays are for.

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    zepherin wrote: »

I have an insurance plan for my dog.

We get insurance for our cats, but that only pays off if it costs more than $500 and doesn't cover regular vet visit costs.
    Ours is the opposite it covers the regular vet costs, but we only get a discount for the catastrophic stuff.

• Options
    I have to take my cat to the vet. But I just spent $250 taking the other one to the vet, and there was nothing wrong with her! How can I tell my vet "he's good till next year" because he's young and perfectly healthy??

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
This discussion has been closed.