As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread is only for perverts now, apparently

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    5. Link to the Past
    4. Oracle of Season/Oracle of Ages
    3. Link's Awakening
    2. Ocarina of Time (I think it still holds up personally)
    1. Majora's Mask

I have trouble putting BotW on the same list with the other games, it feels like more of a departure from the previous games than even Ocarina of Time was from Link to the Past.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I included Hyrule Warriors. My boundaries are vast

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I have trouble putting BotW on the same list with the other games, it feels like more of a departure from the previous games than even Ocarina of Time was from Link to the Past.

It was a long-form treatise on item durability and how that informs player choice, for example choosing to return their copy of Breath of the Wild to the friend they borrowed it from the day prior.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The Triforce is the very distillation of the power that drives the fundamental forces of the universe; it is the very engine of creation itself. Worlds can be made and unmade according to whim. A young man with a timid heart, a rabbit who is forced to be courageous, may wish entire realms of existence away, break the chains of death, and have everything that he has ever desired.

That is power that beggars the very idea of morality. What is justice, to such mightiness? What is good? From a perspective so lofty, could we ever expect an understanding of righteousness that would align with ours?

What a mischievous thing to leave lying around, the power of gold...

If you're suggesting that Link should murder the gods and topple their thrones, I'm on board.

Few people appreciate that Ganondorf gets a double deicide in his first appearance

You go to all the trouble to curse two guardian gods to death, as well as trying to wipe out two or three entire peoples, and folks keep trying to give you a redemption arc

why would you need a redemption arc when deicide is a good thing
    Because he stopped at two.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    1: BoTW
    2: LttP
    3: WW HD
    4: SS
    5: TP HD

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Triforce is the very distillation of the power that drives the fundamental forces of the universe; it is the very engine of creation itself. Worlds can be made and unmade according to whim. A young man with a timid heart, a rabbit who is forced to be courageous, may wish entire realms of existence away, break the chains of death, and have everything that he has ever desired.

That is power that beggars the very idea of morality. What is justice, to such mightiness? What is good? From a perspective so lofty, could we ever expect an understanding of righteousness that would align with ours?

If you're suggesting that Link should murder the gods and topple their thrones, I'm on board.

Few people appreciate that Ganondorf gets a double deicide in his first appearance

You go to all the trouble to curse two guardian gods to death, as well as trying to wipe out two or three entire peoples, and folks keep trying to give you a redemption arc

I joke about few people appreciating Ganondorf's deicide

But they really skim over his attempted genocides

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

oh don't get me wrong the genocides are no good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    and i don't even like geno!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »

Okay, this is the platonic ideal of my 14 year-old self's Zelda discussions, and now I'm grumpy that I'm not quite into Zelda history and lore as I used to. Something something the games aren't as engaging as they used to be. Almost except Breath of the Wild, in that it almost recaptured the magic of "making me feel things", but there's no finely crafted story progression that made me feel things like it did in Ocarina of Time.

I think that we as players have changed much more than the games have, in terms of storytelling

The stories and the writing games are like toys, in the same way that Nintendo's philosophy describes the games themselves as toys. They're something for us to play with, even outside the context of the game, and we get out of them more or less what we're willing to invest in them.

In terms of characters and how they relate to each other and how it speaks to the lore of the rest of the franchise, I think Breath of the Wild is an easy contender for best story in a Zelda game.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    5. Majora's Mask
    4. Wind Waker
    3. Ocarina of Time
    2. Twilight Princess
    1. Link's Awakening

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Speaking of Zelda, both A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time came out on this day in 1991 and 1998 respectively. Both are considered to be in the top-5 Zelda titles of all-time.

What a lovely time to talk about Zelda nonsense with all of you <3

My list, I guess!

6. Spirit Tracks
    5. Ocarina of Time
    4. / 3. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker
    2. Skyward Sword
    1. Breath of the Wild

I just want a remake of SS so badly

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The "Link to the Past" title never made sense.

What was the Japanese title?

“Triforce of the Gods”

Which sadly dropped during Nintendo’s “NO GOD/SEX/DRUGS” localization bender back in the 80s/early 90s.

That works better. There was no time travel in LttP, you traveled between dimensions.

They got it right with LBW.

I believe the reason behind the name was that one bit where people keep saying that Link is the last descendant of a line of knights who defended Hyrule? So he's a link to the kingdom's glorious past, by his heroic deeds.

• Options

Dude threw the Gorons into a cave and was feeding them to a dragon one by one. At least the Zoras presumably all froze at once.

Dude did not use his power nicely when he took over.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    1- A Link to the Past
    2- Wind Waker
    3- Link's Awakening
    4- Majora's Mask
    5- Twilight Princess

I haven't played many of the handheld ones. I'd probably enjoy Link Between Worlds but haven't got a 3DS. Breath of the Wild mostly just frustrated me.

Aistan on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    1.minish cap
    2.everything else

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Seems like a major design flaw that the Triforce will just grant the wish of the first bonehead who comes along, good or evil, without question

It is a metaphor for any manner of technology. It’s only as good as what you do with it.

• Options
    in OOT it specifically split apart when G-dorf got it rather than just granting his wish with no consideration for the wisher's worthiness

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    5. LttP
    4. Spirit Tracks
    3. Twilight Princess
    2. Skyward Sword
    1. BotW

Admittedly these are the only ones I've played bar like 20% of OoT and the original. I imagine Minish Cap and Wind Waker would be good shouts to make the list, if only there was a feasible non-emulation way to play them. Shame that there's literally no way to do that for either game.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    minish cap roolz

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    5. LttP
    4. Spirit Tracks
    3. Twilight Princess
    2. Skyward Sword
    1. BotW

Admittedly these are the only ones I've played bar like 20% of OoT and the original. I imagine Minish Cap and Wind Waker would be good shouts to make the list, if only there was a feasible non-emulation way to play them. Shame that there's literally no way to do that for either game.

if you still have a wii u kicking around or know who does minish cap is on VC and theres the wind waker hd remaster

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    5. LttP
    4. Spirit Tracks
    3. Twilight Princess
    2. Skyward Sword
    1. BotW

if you still have a wii u kicking around or know who does minish cap is on VC and theres the wind waker hd remaster

I was attempting to make a joke at the Wii U's expense there :p

I didn't know it had Minish Cap though, that's actually tempting.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    there are a lot of good GBA (and other) games still available on the wii U VC, its kind of the only thing left on the system worthwhile now

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    the wii u probably has the best VC out of any nintendo system by a mile

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    4. Link's Awakening
    3. Breath of the Wild
    2. Majora's Mask
    1. Wind Waker

Those are the Zelda games I've spent significant time with and have fond memories of, I had a weird grudge against Ocarina for a long time and by the time I got over it, it was probably too late to get it, my dog bit my Link to the Past cartridge and it stopped working...Twilight Princess I did finish but I also don't really remember any of it aside from...dual hookshots? Skyward Sword I physically couldn't play

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    1. Majora's Mask
    2. Breath of the Wild
    3. Link to the Past
    4. Windwaker
    5. Spirit Tracks

Don't @ me.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    MM
    WW
    BotW
    LA
    TP

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TP
    LttP
    Zelda 2
    OoT
    LA
    All other zelda games
    Wand of gamelon
    BoTW

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MM
    WW
    BotW
    LA
    TP

is this the new Hanson single?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    1. Majora's Mask
    2. Ocarina of Time
    3. Link's Awakening
    4./5. Twilight Princess = Wind Waker
    6. Breath of the Wild

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Interestingly, each timeline's version of Ganon has a different list of his favorite Zelda games

Only the Calamity considers Twilight Princess one of the better 3D Zeldas

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    for our UK friends you have a black friday eshop sale starting early

consume

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3. Your favorite
    2. Whatever game I'm playing at the moment
    1. Whatever game someone just insulted online

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So your list is just Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland three times? Alright, I can respect that.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Probably will finish Link's Awakening Switch tomorrow. Just a delightful game.

But

I am never going to 100% it again because fuck the stupid build a dungeon challenges.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So a couple of Youtube vids have been making the rounds. Well, it's actually the second one, but I'll introduce that one with an earlier one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7f3JZJHSw

In which a Youtuber chronicles the experiences of his wife, who had no real prior experience playing video games, trying to intuit the language that is often used to convey... anything to players. Assumptions about our familiarity with controllers, how we interpret 3D space, how we interpret the feedback we get from games, the whole gamut! All the while offering her absolutely no advice whatsoever.

There's some very interesting bits in here—the section about limitations in problem-solving mechanics and almost everything concerning Shovel Knight jumped out to me in particular.

Yesterday a new video went up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LdenlAKb2g

In which the same Youtuber chronicles the experiences of his wife, who is no more comfortable with controllers and no more fluent in the design language of video games than she was in the last video, attempting to play through the opening section of Breath of the Wild.

I don't want to go on about these two videos, but they're very interesting, especially when watched in sequence. I really recommend them when you've got about half an hour to kill.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man I bet that lady is even more confused about 4tnite than I am.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Those videos are interesting but by the end of it I wanted to punch him if he said "the lady I live with" one more time

• Options
    borat voice "the lady I live with"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    He references the Borat problem early in the first video—the original script just had him saying "my wife" over and over, and fearing that he would sound like a long-running Borat joke, he changed half the instances to "the lady I live with" because he liked how clinical and removed it sounded

There is something to be said about writers who don't appreciate that words like "she" are effectively invisible to the average listener, that since he was referring to a single person throughout the video he did not need to recall the subject to our mind, and that he could have used "she" hundreds of times with no one really noticing

That said, the videos are still interesting and present perspective that really got me thinking

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine has a kid who wants the new Pokemon

And last night he asked me, "What's the deal with Pokemon? Is this one game or two games?"

And as I found myself explaining Generations and Exclusivity and Trading, I realized, "I've never had to say all these things out loud to somebody with no context. This is all actually kinda insane when you un-boil the frog!"

This discussion has been closed.