Options

Lovely Ladies and Chauvinist Cosplay: 2019 *NSF56K*

2»

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey, I really appreciate some of these ladies choosing this moment to make political statements! Crazy costumes is EXACTLY the right time for this, and I mean that in all sincerity.

I smiled at Miss Brazil's ode to famed Brazilian soccer star Marta. It's not quite on par with the Canadian hockey stick princess from a few year's back, but it's in the same milieu. Then I was impressed that she stayed on stage long enough to make sure everyone could read her "Stop Violence Against Women" sign.

sZHTuPE.png

That said, her wing/kite thing being off-kilter was a bit annoying.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Whoever made El Salvador's outfit kinda shat the bed in structural stability. It took her almost two full minutes to stumble down the runway and back, and she was desperately holding it up the entire time.

uni2019_01838-e1575831519900.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

There seem to have been several costumes that were either incredibly hard to walk in, seemed to have terrible support systems, or were just broken. I wonder if this was a problem with the backstage crew or if it's just coincidence.

Edit: I'm watching Cambodia walking slow as molasses with her... I dunno, angelic consorts? You tell me:

v7mUw9Y.png

And Miss Canada off to the side waiting patiently to get on. The hosts completely silent because they already gave their dumb rhyme.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    She was posted earlier, but here is a larger picture of this paean to weed, Miss Canada:

OLdfv3I.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/6523400/western-queensland-connection-to-miss-universes-australian-national-costume/
    Williams connected with the Indigenous artists involved while in the region working as creative director with Red Ridge's Dress the Central West project.

"I was approached to make the dress after I had been working in Western Queensland on and off for six months," she said.

"For me after that experience it was always going to be about the outback."

The scales of the dress were made from bubblewrap, recycled billboard banners and a canvas featuring the art created by the Indigenous artists.

Red Ridge's Aboriginal arts and cultural cfficer, Aunty Joyce Crombie led community workshops in Blackall, Longreach, Birdsville and Bedourie and Barcaldine to develop a collection of artwork that could be represented in the garment.

A total of 11 artworks based on cultural dreaming and stories were created, then photographed and reproduced onto squares of rolled canvas that could be cut into small scale size pieces for the garment.

The original artworks have been held a collection that could potentially be used for a regional touring exhibition.

The artists involved include Wangkangurru / Yarluyandi women from Birdsville, Aunty Joyce Crombie, Josie Schurman, Birdsville's Aunty Jean Barr Crombie, Aunty Jenny Parsons and Aunty Maude Monaghan, Barcaldine's Daryl Frazer and Blackall's Dwayne Kangan.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Venezuela's a big fan of Moebius I see.

edit: *sees Vietnam looming in the background*

GIANT SPOON

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/6523400/western-queensland-connection-to-miss-universes-australian-national-costume/
    Williams connected with the Indigenous artists involved while in the region working as creative director with Red Ridge's Dress the Central West project.

"I was approached to make the dress after I had been working in Western Queensland on and off for six months," she said.

"For me after that experience it was always going to be about the outback."

The scales of the dress were made from bubblewrap, recycled billboard banners and a canvas featuring the art created by the Indigenous artists.

Red Ridge's Aboriginal arts and cultural cfficer, Aunty Joyce Crombie led community workshops in Blackall, Longreach, Birdsville and Bedourie and Barcaldine to develop a collection of artwork that could be represented in the garment.

A total of 11 artworks based on cultural dreaming and stories were created, then photographed and reproduced onto squares of rolled canvas that could be cut into small scale size pieces for the garment.

The original artworks have been held a collection that could potentially be used for a regional touring exhibition.

The artists involved include Wangkangurru / Yarluyandi women from Birdsville, Aunty Joyce Crombie, Josie Schurman, Birdsville's Aunty Jean Barr Crombie, Aunty Jenny Parsons and Aunty Maude Monaghan, Barcaldine's Daryl Frazer and Blackall's Dwayne Kangan.

Oh good, that's much better than what it sounded like.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

That's the part I'm most happy to see

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Uh, so Miss China came in a Tibetan outfit. Fuck you, Miss China, I ain't gonna post that. Free Tibet!

Edit: Ok to be fair to the young lady in question, it's not like she has a choice. She can't come walking out with a "Free Tibet" sign if she doesn't want to be thrown in prison when she gets back.

For that matter, Miss USA could have been carrying an "Impeach 45" banner and she wouldn't have been arrested or anything, but there's no way any Miss USA would do that regardless of political leanings because it's too controversial.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    You know I realized, part of the reason the ladies with the larger costumes are having trouble is because the catwalk isn't wide enough, and the entrance from back stage isn't wide enough. The American producers of this show really don't care about this part of the contest.

• Options
    Oh godddddd these hosts. They started reading the copy for Dominican Republic for Ecuador. I hope they never hire these hacks again.

• Options
    Finally got to Miss El Salvador's slow walk. At least for once the hosts thought to fill the dead air with something, even if it was only an advertisement for the actual Miss Universe telecast. Maybe you could have come up with more material to fill dead air if you didn't show up drunk to your job, dude.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Miss Universe contestants have a entourage that comes with them. As logistically it would make sense for the dress and national cosplay as well as makeup and if they don't know the host countries language.
    But I can also see some just sending the contestant

• Options
    Ok I gottta know if the rhymes are pre-written, because right after Salvador was Miss Equatorial Guinea, and she didn't want to get stuck on the catwalk waiting for El Salvador, so she skipped around her and backstage before the host was completely done with his spiel. So the rhyme this time was "Don't worry, she's in a hurry, Equatorial Guinea!" So he made that up just then, right? He had to have. Does that mean they're all made up??

• Options
    Miss Finland didn't have the most wowzers costume out there, but I really liked it for some reason, so I'm posting it.

q0ZnRPz.png

• Options
    Miss France is slutting this joint right up and I love her for it.

4DcH4BO.png

The host says she's representing the musical Moulin Rouge. Fool, you know that musical was based on a cabaret in France that actually exists, right?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ok I gottta know if the rhymes are pre-written, because right after Salvador was Miss Equatorial Guinea, and she didn't want to get stuck on the catwalk waiting for El Salvador, so she skipped around her and backstage before the host was completely done with his spiel. So the rhyme this time was "Don't worry, she's in a hurry, Equatorial Guinea!" So he made that up just then, right? He had to have. Does that mean they're all made up??

I don't know what to think anymore.

• Options
    I feel like they gave these ladies ZERO rehearsal on this show, because it seems like no one has an idea of when they should start walking, or how much time they should be on the catwalk. So some people take their time, some people rush forward like they can't wait to be invisible again.

• Options
    While the exploding ass feather style costume is not the type to get me to gasp or cheer, I still gotta give a shout out when one of my ladies pulls one out, because at the very least these costumes aren't just boring dresses or sad flags, and I appreciate that.

Miss Haiti:

FoNHPpn.png

• Options
    Norway wasn't even trying.

• Options
    I like Miss Honduras. She's got that "sacrifice a bevy of virgins to me by midnight" energy, paired with a tasteful evening gown.

JIC3uxO.png

• Options
    Ok India's was pretty enough, but I can't help but notice it was off-kilter in exactly the same way as Brazil's. Someone back stage isn't doing their job.

6ll93u2.jpg

• Options
    I'm taking a break on the show for a bit because I just found out Rene Auberjonois died today and that sucks, so I can't properly enjoy wacky costumes right now.