Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Red Letter Media, the Internet's first-most foreclosed premier source of Star Wars reviews, did a video on the Mandalorian.

Spoilers: they like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efskcq_mqv4

reVerse on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Not surprised at all that they liked it. I'm more surprised when people don't at least enjoy it, if not outright love it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Not surprised at all that they liked it. I'm more surprised when people don't at least enjoy it, if not outright love it.

To me, it's not just that so many people like it, it's that people overwhelmingly like it. In light of having now two shitty Star Wars trilogies dumped on the public and being told it's my own fault for not being a kid, not appreciating movies well enough, over-analyzing movies, and being too much of a Star Wars nerd to let myself enjoy the main movies, we get The Mandalorian. And for me, the show pretty solidly establishes that the problem is not at all me when it comes to the main movies past the OT, it's that they're shitty Star Wars movies.

I like Star Wars. Good Star Wars. And most people feel the same way. So it's just really reassuring to me to know that, yeah, the problem really has been the property being treated like garbage, not me getting too cynical about my entertainment. If Disney could just figure out to not give the property over to random directors with clearly no interest in the material themselves, this setting could be really good again, across the board.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

To me, it's not just that so many people like it, it's that people overwhelmingly like it. In light of having now two shitty Star Wars trilogies dumped on the public and being told it's my own fault for not being a kid, not appreciating movies well enough, over-analyzing movies, and being too much of a Star Wars nerd to let myself enjoy the main movies, we get The Mandalorian. And for me, the show pretty solidly establishes that the problem is not at all me when it comes to the main movies past the OT, it's that they're shitty Star Wars movies.

I like Star Wars. Good Star Wars. And most people feel the same way. So it's just really reassuring to me to know that, yeah, the problem really has been the property being treated like garbage, not me getting too cynical about my entertainment. If Disney could just figure out to not give the property over to random directors with clearly no interest in the material themselves, this setting could be really good again, across the board.

I regret I have but one Agree to give you.
    THIS, so kriffin' hard.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If Disney could just figure out to not give the property over to random directors with clearly no interest in the material themselves, this setting could be really good again, across the board.
    What? Of all the directors involved in Star Wars, which are the ones who have "clearly no interest in the material themselves?" JJ Abrams is obsessed with Star Wars. Rian Johnson is obsessed with Star Wars. Lord and Miller probably love it, I dunno. Ron Howard owes his entire career to George Lucas. Gareth Edwards got into filmmaking because of Star Wars.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    And for all the interviews with most of those directors claiming to love Star Wars, Edwards is the only one of them I actually believe based on watching Rogue One. I literally could not stay awake through Solo because it was such an uninspired, trite snore-fest of fanservice (which, in fairness, looks like it was butchered to hell by meddling and changing directors and whatnot), Abrams got two movies to himself and made one mediocre reboot and one straight fuck-up, and Johnson decided the best way to respect the Star Wars property was to just pretty much crap all over characters people liked while tromping all over established rules of the setting he found inconvenient to the story.

Then you get something like The Mandalorian, where they add to the universe every other scene instead of making some major in-setting fuck-up because they don't actually know the material very well or don't care enough to let it get in the way of the scene they wanted. And it's almost totally unrelated to the movies except for sharing a setting, so they can't just roll out an old John Williams score as a crutch for every big moment and instead have to make their own completely great Star Wars moments from scratch.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    If Disney could just figure out to not give the property over to random directors with clearly no interest in the material themselves, this setting could be really good again, across the board.
    What? Of all the directors involved in Star Wars, which are the ones who have "clearly no interest in the material themselves?" JJ Abrams is obsessed with Star Wars. Rian Johnson is obsessed with Star Wars. Lord and Miller probably love it, I dunno. Ron Howard owes his entire career to George Lucas. Gareth Edwards got into filmmaking because of Star Wars.

Forgetting entirely any lofty ideals like themes, character arcs, etc. that are contentious debate points, you can see how these guys aren't big Star Wars fans in all the background details they fuck up.

I mean, an easy example is hyperdrives/hyerpsace. Each of the three sequel trilogy movies fucks it up in a different way. Force Awakens has Han hyperspace jump underneath a planetary shield, Last Jedi has the "Holdo Maneuver" and Rise of Skywalker gives us "Hyper Skipping" for some reason.

Each of these doesn't just fuck with decades of games, books, comics (and I think even some of the cartoons had Interdictor Cruisers) where hyperspace explicitly doesn't work that way, which sure, we're throwing the EU out, whatever; it makes no sense in the context of the Original Trilogy (why doesn't Han just jump the Falcon underneath the Endor shield? Why don't they jump a cruiser through either Death Star? Why do the ships need to fly from Hoth before jumping to hyperspace rather than just jumping out in the atmosphere?) and even cheapens their own narrative (Ah, a hitherto unknown technobabble asspull to save the day, how satisfying!).

Honestly I'm not sure JJ Abrams is even a big scifi fan, let alone a Star Wars fan, given how he clearly has a very loose grasp on the concept of space and astronomical distances.

Man, the ships sizes and quantities are another world building disaster that both Abrams and Johnson fuck up, Starkiller Base is literally an entire planet that eats suns - how the fuck did the First Order build this when the Empire struggled to build the fraction-of-the-size Death Stars? Then Johnson has an enormous First Order fleet with the Supremacy, a ship so comically large it again begs the question where the fuck is it this coming from, let alone the rest of the fleet of dreadnoughts, and then back to Abrams with literally 10,000 Star Destroyers just chilling here, complete with trained crews standing by in snazzy new red uniforms! No amount of "force magic" can handwave that shit.

Christ I can go on with this nonsense all day, and this discussion probably belongs in the other Star Wars thread, but IMHO it is apparent to Star Wars fans that neither JJ Abrams nor Rian Johnson were Star Wars fans, irrespective of whatever they said to the press. The people making the Mandalorian clearly know their stuff and love the setting.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Empire didn't struggle to build the Death Stars, after the first one got blown up they had the second ready-to-go in couple of years.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    They’re definitely Star Wars fans. I’m sorry but you just can’t gatekeep the fandom like that. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of Star Wars fans have never engaged with the EU at all.
    Force Awakens Han has 30 years more experience than New Hope Han. He’s clearly more comfortable doing things he never would have considered before, like jumping close to a planet.

The Holdo Maneuver is a last resort desperation move that nobody did before because it’s insane to even contemplate and it’s a massive throwaway of valuable resources. When the one dude suggests making it an ongoing strategic option he’s immediately shut down.

Hyper Skipping is another desperation move, you’ll notice they nearly crash into something every time they come out of hyperspace and they basically destroy the warp drive doing it.

Star Wars has never been a “hard science” sci-fi franchise. Astronomic distances have always been a little handwavey.

As have any technical questions like “how did they build 10k Star destroyers in secret” (they are crewed by the children the first order has been kidnapping btw, so even though you’re supposed to feel less sad about the one planet getting blown up because all the kids are already off world, they die in the battle over Exogal anyway.)

Sorry, forgot what thread I was in and responded directly to the above

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Starkiller Base, at least, has an explanation.
    In Jedi Fallen Order, we see Ilum being hollowed out by the Empire 48 years before Episode 7. So they stripped mined it for kyber to fuel the Death Stars and then had a long, long time to convert the rest into a different weapon.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I honestly think that many of the fans who talk about the rules established by the existing Star Wars media are too eager to fill in the blanks and see coherence and consistency where it didn't really exist. I would also say that there are better and worse ways of presenting things that appear to differ from the 2-3 times something similar has happened before, and that some come closer to breaking the fabric of the story being told than others. To my mind, the Holdo Manoeuvre came across as a desperate move because of how it was presented, whereas the 10k Star Destroyers capable of destroying planets out of nothing felt like the Emperor activating the cheat mode that allowed him to produce units at no cost whatsoever.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Holdo Maneuver doesn't bother me too horribly much as something that only happens once because it's cool, I just wish they'd spent literally 3 seconds to handwave it in the film. Because these are movies people think about like this and there's no reason not to.

...hyperspace tracking vulnerability.

....takes a long time to calculate but we've had that time.

...design flaw in shield.

...taking advantage of some local anomaly.

Kamar on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just because people care about different things in Star Wars than you do does not mean they are not Star Wars fans. George Lucas doesn't even qualify as a Star Wars fan according to the criteria some people are using. The original Star Wars movies have just as much nonsense. Explain to me how the Battle of Hoth works - the planetary shield, the ion cannon, etc. How does any of that make sense? Explain to me how jamming a signal works. It's all bullshit. It has always been bullshit. Star Wars is more than just movie versions of the stuff mentioned in the technical manuals.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I disagree strongly with many of the story decisions made in Episodes 7-9. That doesn't mean I'm going to say that those who created them, or liked them, aren't real fans. Heck, I got told the other day in another thread that I can't be a fan anymore because these movies are and always were made for kids.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have to say that I find fan gatekeeping to be one of the worst tendencies in fandom. There's absolutely a discussion to be had about what story decisions are more or less iffy and why we accept some more readily than others, but the moment such a discussion is framed in terms of what 'true fans' know, think and believe, that's when I have little patience for what those people say.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Lord and Miller love it. I think the problem was they love it in the way a modern fan would and they made a movie that Lucasfilm felt wasnt tonally right but I feel would have went over very well with people.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Karoz on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    If a genie granted me three wishes, my first wish would be that no one would ever make the statement "this person can't be a Star Wars fan because_____" ever again.

My second wish would be the first one again to make it stick.

My third wish would be to grant the genie freedom because Aladdin taught me it's the right thing to do.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    In much of scifi, space, how it works, the distances involved, all that is a part of the stories, almost like a background character.

And JJ just doesn't give a fuck about how space works. It was like that when he did star trek, too. Explosions light years away instantly visible, travel times of seconds..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A lot of people seem to complain about Mandalorian Ep4, 5, 6, because they are "random" episodes of the week.

But I liked them for a couple reasons.

One- none of them are random so that viewpoint is just wrong. They serve to build backstory into the character, they serve to build allies for the character, they serve to establish his commitment to the Way, they serve to establish future story beats that required those "random" episodes for them to work properly in the future.

Two- it's worldbuilding. Even if they are completely random, which they aren't, they still help ground the series in the Star Wars universe and give us a window to locations and people within that universe. A little worldbuilding along the way is good for the series as a whole.

Honestly, I hope we get more "random" episodes in future seasons, because I really like one-off adventures and that kind of thing. Plus you can bet your ass that Bill Burr and Co will be back to seek revenge.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If a genie granted me three wishes, my first wish would be that no one would ever make the statement "this person can't be a Star Wars fan because_____" ever again.
    My third wish would be to grant the genie freedom because Aladdin taught me it's the right thing to do.

Have you seen the sequels to the original Aladdin? I mean, I can't blame you for avoiding them, but freeing a genie may not necessarily be the right thing to do as many of them are evil, destructive beings, imbued with infinite cosmic power. Aladdin lucked out and got the Happy-Go-Lucky Wild Comedian Robin Williams in genie form, if he had got Mentally Unhinged One Hour Photo Robin Williams in genie form instead...
    Just saying, things could have gone a bit different.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

How can people argue about the movies when we should be using this thread to gush about Baby Yoda and share his memes?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Have you seen the sequels to the original Aladdin? I mean, I can't blame you for avoiding them, but freeing a genie may not necessarily be the right thing to do as many of them are evil, destructive beings, imbued with infinite cosmic power. Aladdin lucked out and got the Happy-Go-Lucky Wild Comedian Robin Williams in genie form, if he had got Mentally Unhinged One Hour Photo Robin Williams in genie form instead...
    Just saying, things could have gone a bit different.

good call, i guess it's three wishes for "no gatekeeping please"

alternatively, I could just free all the genies as a big middle finger to ol' Solomon and hope the ensuing genie-apocalypse finally ends the infinite death spiral of arguing about the sequel trilogy

shit i gotta steer this weird tangent back on topic, ummmmmm
    baby-yoda-aladdin-1199375.jpeg?auto=webp&width=518&height=572&crop=518:572,smart

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Okay maybe I missed this originally but like... who was holding Baby Yoda originally? Like there was a whole compound of people seemingly protecting the baby Yoda that we just disintegrated our way through in the first episode. Were those guys helping the kid not get taken by bounty hunters?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hell, that might be how he tries to fulfill his new mission.

Go back to where Baby Yoda came from, to try and figure out where he should take him.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I don’t think we find out.

My guess is that the Empire isn’t the only faction interested in Baby Yoda.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I don’t think we find out.

My guess is that the Empire isn’t the only faction interested in Baby Yoda.

I mean, if the Empire fractured, it might be different leftovers of the Empire fighting over the Kid.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    You know i dont believe we have any reason to think they werent actually protecting Baby Yoda from would be bounty hunters and the Empire.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If so, that would suck. But it would make sense.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    You know i dont believe we have any reason to think they werent actually protecting Baby Yoda from would be bounty hunters and the Empire.

I mean, we have 0 information as to their overall intent, other than maintaining control of Baby Yoda.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Would be quite the reveal next season if we find out that Din murdered a bunch of good guys in episode 1 and that also his mando enclave are actually the bad guys of the mandalorian culture.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Would be quite the reveal next season if we find out that Din murdered a bunch of good guys in episode 1 and that also his mando enclave are actually the bad guys of the mandalorian culture.

It would be, but it would be such a flip of the narrative the show has established I'd kind of hate it? Like it would feel like a twist for twist sake outside of the western man with a gun character they established.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It would be, but it would be such a flip of the narrative the show has established I'd kind of hate it? Like it would feel like a twist for twist sake outside of the western man with a gun character they established.

That last thing about his enclave being the bad guys has enough clues during the first season that the twist would be if they aren't the bad guys of the mando culture. Between Din being saved by Death Watch and their armourer clearly having Maul-type references on her helmet, I'd be surprised if they weren't the bad mandos.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I mean, we have 0 information as to their overall intent, other than maintaining control of Baby Yoda.

precisely my point!

As viewers we are trained to think "they must have been bad guys" but we really have no proof of that

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

That last thing about his enclave being the bad guys has enough clues during the first season that the twist would be if they aren't the bad guys of the mando culture. Between Din being saved by Death Watch and their armourer clearly having Maul-type references on her helmet, I'd be surprised if they weren't the bad mandos.

I don't understand these points. What do you mean by Death Watch? And what do you mean by Maul-type references?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I don’t think it would be too much of a twist now that we know Mando took The Child Baby Yoda for the bad guys, albeit unknowingly. I don’t think it’s be a pointless twist either since it would continue the growth arc that Din has had thus far. I don’t even think his clan has to be the “bad guys” per say even if Death Watch was previously since its been many years and the culture itself has fractured so much, just a very fundamentalist, outcast one.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I don't understand these points. What do you mean by Death Watch? And what do you mean by Maul-type references?

The Mandos in blue that took in our Mandalorian have been bad guys in nearly every media about them so far. They are called Death Watch.

The armorer had little horns on the top of her helmet very much like Maul's horns. This is also significant because Maul lead the Death Watch for a bit (in the Clone Wars show) and you can imagine how that went. He did not do good things and neither did the death watch. So for her to have those horns, it could imply they still honor Maul's leadership or legacy.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm not a huge western fan, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of classic western tropes, but I feel like a naive person being made aware that they are being used by villains and turning it around to become a hero feels very western to me.
    Redemption stories are also very Star Wars (Han Solo, rogue drug smuggler in it for the money becoming a heroic general of the Rebellion, FN-#### breaking away from the First Order to become a heroic figure of the Resistance, Vader...)

And, it doesn't necessarily require that the people fighting the Mandolorian tribe are good guys, just because the Mandos were bad guys. Having two groups of bad guys fighting each other for a payday while the innocent villagers are caught in the cross fire also feels pretty on the nose for a western.

• Options
    Everyone thinks they are the good guys in their own stories.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

The Mandos in blue that took in our Mandalorian have been bad guys in nearly every media about them so far. They are called Death Watch.

The armorer had little horns on the top of her helmet very much like Maul's horns. This is also significant because Maul lead the Death Watch for a bit (in the Clone Wars show) and you can imagine how that went. He did not do good things and neither did the death watch. So for her to have those horns, it could imply they still honor Maul's leadership or legacy.

Aaah, thanks. That helps a lot. I haven't watched Clone Wars or much of the other media.

This discussion has been closed.