As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    For a character that might actually happen, if Capcom decides they want it, I'd actually rather like to get a proper Monster Hunter rep.

But Drascin, you might say, Hunters are just faceless Insert-your-character dudes with weapons, they wouldn't add shit to the roster. And I know that! But there's something that is even more emblematic of Monster Hunter than the Hunters, and that is the cats. Felynes have been in every monster hunter game, including the spinoff where there aren't even Hunters.

And to make things better, during the DS versions of the games, they added the ability to actually play as one of the cats (Prowler mode), with a full moveset that translates almost with no thought to Smash. Prowler fits the tone of Smash, is a perfect advertising for the series, and is very easy to implement, while giving a bunch of options for interesting mechanics if desired, and they became playable on Nintendo consoles to boot!

So yeah, Prowler for Smash, please.

This is a v good suggestion

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    A real Monster Hunter would be a good way to get another heavyweight into the game tho.

Zek on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Capcom also has Okami, and Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright, the Dark Stalkers, Devil May Cry, Strider, Power Stone, Onimusha, Resident Evil...

Basically, Capcom just has a shitload of characters that would be sweet additions to Smash Bros.

Edit: Kind of want to throw Breath of Fire in there, but Ryu would be sort of redundant with Corrin.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I see no reason we can't have the Astral Chain cops

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm kind of expecting that there'll be a few of the newer first party IPs getting characters added. Astral Chain, maybe ARMS (I forget, is there an ARMS Assist Trophy?).

Definitely new Pokemon for Swash, which I still think is probably going to be the final stage of the new grass starter to follow the pattern for the last two generations' new Smash reps.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm kind of expecting that there'll be a few of the newer first party IPs getting characters added. Astral Chain, maybe ARMS (I forget, is there an ARMS Assist Trophy?).

Definitely new Pokemon for Swash, which I still think is probably going to be the final stage of the new grass starter to follow the pattern for the last two generations' new Smash reps.

My money is on Cinderace just because it'll be by far the easiest to design of moveset for and I think the one that'd be most fun to control.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I feel like they're going to add another Mario universe character. Pokemon and FE both have 8, Mario has 9

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I feel like they're going to add another Mario universe character. Pokemon and FE both have 8, Mario has 9
    Toad : HEY!

• Options
    Captain Toad, Treasure Tracker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqk0vlKgu2c

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I honestly don't see one of the Pokemon starters getting in. Cinderace feels like he'd play too similarly to Greninja/Lucario. Intellion's ranged sniping I don't see translating well and is kind of covered by Greninjas shurikens. And Rilaboom seems way too similar to DK. Although atleast Grass type would get a rep other than Ivysaur.

If I were to suggest a gen 8 rep it would be either Obstagoon or Grimsnarl.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I could see Cinderace playing in a neat way. The soccer theme lends itself to a kick-focused fighting style that would be different from Greninja’s blades, for one. And his signature attack Pyro Ball could easily become a wonky projectile with weight and bouncy properties. Yes, Wii Fit Trainer already has a soccer ball, but you can get a very different move out of that just by having him kick the thing instead of head butting it down. You could even have Flame Charge as an attack that provides a temporary speed buff if it connects.

If you were to focus on the theme of athleticism rather than martial arts, I think Cinderace vouldnhave a strong identity outside of what Lucario and Greninja bring to the table.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Given how much just having bad aerials and poor recovery doomed Little Mac, a character who cannot jump at all would be a nightmare to balance.

And a move that effectively just moves the ledge higher is horrible design.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Rillaboom could work around his Drum gimmick and could have primarily sound based attacks. I envision the drum acting sort of like Pac Man's hydrant, but if Rillaboom attacks it it causes shockwaves that can damage/knock back enemies.

Rillaboom is only similar to DK in that he's a gorilla.

• Options
    Well, if Byleth reactions are any indication, that would be enough for him to be called a DK clone, lol.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Rillaboom can also get a move or two that spawns disjointed vines from the stage, to give it grass moves distinct from Ivy (and also that's a thing it can do).

And "play too similarly to Greninja/Lucario" is a very odd statement, since those two already play very differently.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rillaboom can also get a move or two that spawns disjointed vines from the stage, to give it grass moves distinct from Ivy (and also that's a thing it can do).

And "play too similarly to Greninja/Lucario" is a very odd statement, since those two already play very differently.

They have... similar specials to a degree, but that's it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    my greatest moment on twitch dot television

https://clips.twitch.tv/HelpfulPlausibleSamosaDoggo

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    While Lucario being a replacement for Mewtwo is 100% waterproof, Greninja is actually a Marth clone. He has swords and a counter move. QED.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Oh they do. But I mean more that they're both light weight martial pokemon and between them I feel tie up a lot of the options that could apply to Cinderace.

• Options
    Here's my Cinderace moveset wishlist:
    • Pyro ball is an upward-angled Wii Fit ball, obv, but is closer to a Gordo in strength and actually has horizontal knockback.
    • Neutral special is Sucker Punch, a counter that teleports you to the offender. Works on projectiles! Has set damage and doesn't kill at a reasonable percent.
    • Down special is High Jump Kick, a version of Falcon Kick/Wizard's Foot that's even faster with next to no startup but deals recoil if you don't hit anything.
    • Up special is Bounce, like a shorter and much faster DDD up special. Made up for by being a high jumper--not quite Falco level, but up there. Has a little armor. Or maybe this is where Flame Charge gets stuck, they propel themselves up leaving a fiery explosion behind.
    • Either DK or Samus bair. Snake dair. Wolf nair. Incen/Mario uair. Either Krool or Fox fair.
    • Dash attack is a soccer-style kick that KOs off the side. Jab is probably just a simple punch-punch-kick.
    • Fsmash is strong, somewhat slow punt that KOs off the top. Fox usmash. Falco dsmash.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Final Smash is probably Max Flare right now, but the Isle of Armor expansion is going to add a new Gigantamax form for Cinderace, and probably a new signature Gmax move.

• Options
    It'd be hilarious is Max Flare set harsh sunlight on the stage and strengthened fire moves/weakened water moves.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Cinderace's Final Smash would 100% be kicking his giant G-max fireball that goes crashing down onto his opponents. I mean, look at the thing!
    01_09_p11_03.jpg

• Options
    And that’s almost certainly what his Gmax move is gonna be.

• Options
    There's a new legendary Fighting type that is being added with one of the new Pokemon expansions that the story revolves around. There's a possibility that we get that Pokemon (Urshifu) as the Pokemon rep. It has two forms in the game that it could switch between in smash - one that's a heavy hitter but slower, and another that's faster and more combo oriented.

• Options
    I would kind of want Cinderace to somehow have Court Change, but I’m pretty sure that just doesn’t translate to a fighting game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I would kind of want Cinderace to somehow have Court Change, but I’m pretty sure that just doesn’t translate to a fighting game.

Shoot out a fast projectile of some kind, that goes through anything. On contact swap positions. Do not affect facing. So you can recover with it (and pull a ledge guarding enemy off), reposition someone charging a dash move (or mid dash) to where they'll go off...

Uh... no, no I don't think there's a good way to implement it that isn't dumb.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Court Change is a special input that can be used once per game to stage morph to a random stage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Captain Toad's exclusion is almost as criminal as Waluigi's. Almost, but not quite.

• Options
    Captain Toad should be an Assist Trophy. He walks about the stage, dropping off platforms as he does so, and periodically pulls and throws big turnips or flashes his headlamp to stun enemies.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I enjoyed the 3V3V3 tourney we just did over lunch except I got completely teamed up on the 2nd tournament.

Edit: This is the first time I was able to triple uair ladder combo someone (uair, quick drop to plat, uair, uair, uspec) live and got a big ol "holy shit" from a few people

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I enjoyed the 3V3V3 tourney we just did over lunch except I got completely teamed up on the 2nd tournament.

Edit: This is the first time I was able to triple uair ladder combo someone (uair, quick drop to plat, uair, uair, uspec) live and got a big ol "holy shit" from a few people

I saw Nairo get the ladder combo a few times with Mario last night and it's never not disgusting to watch.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I saw Nairo get the ladder combo a few times with Mario last night and it's never not disgusting to watch.

It's the best feeling because it takes some precise movement, especially if you don't get it true and you've got to mind game with them mid air.

I did a really good midair move last night vs a K Rool where I uair'd him once, saw he was going to do a dair so I dropped out of range and came back with uspec and I felt like a total badass.

For a game that's supposed to be a party game they sure put a lot of work into the fight mechanics.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sub-Zero. Lots of attacks to choose from. Give him an ice sword for some attacks. Give him his slide move. Ice ball of course. For his final smash he rips your spine out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Isn’t the spatchcock maneuver a classic Scorpion fatality?

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I want a different character Everytime I think about it, but today I want DigDug guy. DigDig does not get really enough cred in the big picture, more fun to play than Pacman IMO.

DigDug as a whole has a cool aesthetic, especially the cabinet artwork. His pump could yield an interesting moveset for grabs and ledge saves. Plus his final smash could KO ppl with giant boulders which would be badass.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Carmen Sandiego for Smash

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Isn’t the spatchcock maneuver a classic Scorpion fatality?

Nah. Scorpion breathes fire (which would probably work better for a final smash, if we're being serious). Subby pops your spine out. That's MK1 anyway.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Carmen Sandiego for Smash

Fully possible. She was a video game first and has been on a Nintendo.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Carmen Sandiego would just be a female joker.

Change my mind.