Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I was running into a bunch of Ezreal/Heimerdinger decks last night which felt odd because I hadn't really encountered them at all previously.
    Maybe there's something streaky about the champions when matching players.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Just had a game against Demacia / Freljord with my own Demacia deck. Both sides had full boards, neither would attack because the other suspected they had a Judgment.

Turns out both players were right. Both had Judgments.

I played mine second, though :D.

All hail Brightsteel formation.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    My current expedition is on 5 wins and is Ezrael/Heimer/Lux and by god is that a fun combination. It just wins by slowly grinding it out and slinging spells and just getting so much virtual card advantage. I might have to switch over from leveling Ionia to Piltover for constructed purposes.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What's the best way to fund more expeditions (aside from winning them) without spending real world money?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    What's the best way to fund more expeditions (aside from winning them) without spending real world money?

There really isn't. Either spend the shards (which is crazy) or just hope you grab some tokens out of the weekly vault.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    My current expedition is on 5 wins and is Ezrael/Heimer/Lux and by god is that a fun combination. It just wins by slowly grinding it out and slinging spells and just getting so much virtual card advantage. I might have to switch over from leveling Ionia to Piltover for constructed purposes.

Karma is real good though. Makes free spells every turn

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

There really isn't. Either spend the shards (which is crazy) or just hope you grab some tokens out of the weekly vault.

If you level your vault high enough to have at least one diamond chest, you will definitely get a token, so you can get one free one per week. You will probably also get enough shards (or pretty close) to do another, which will become more likely the more you've filled out your collection since you'll have a higher redundant hit rate.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I suppose if you're aiming to build out specific cards with shards it might be a bad idea. But you do get a champion card out of the expedition even with no wins, which making a specific champion would also cost 3k shards I think.
    Here you're getting a random one and a decent chance at more rewards. Not the worst trade off if you don't have many champions filled in yet. Not sure if it serves you up a champion you're full up on how much you'd get from that. That would probably be a decent loss, but not super likely until you've maxxed out on a number of them.

Edit; actually looks like they have dupe protection on champions so it'll always be one you don't have the max on yet.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Champions and epics are both dupe protected if I remember one of their early posts correctly

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Is there a worse feeling than losing your second game on an expedition because you didn’t topdeck a card and then drawing it on the turn afterwards, when you opponent attacks for lethal :/

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Undying one seems broken as a unit you can't remove really shouldn't be that easy to power up.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Undying one seems broken as a unit you can't remove really shouldn't be that easy to power up.

You could run detain or just never block it. I don't have a problem with the card. It puts you on a clock sure but you can also infinitely chump block it. I don't think there's that much stuff that makes me feel it's very broken. I guess the Commander Ledros I played against in expedition is fuckin unfaaaair.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm trying to bite my tongue on calling anything good just because the reward and payment structure is set up to make it so that it's going to be like, a good month at least before fully refined decks come to fruition. I think part of the reason the ephemeral aggro/midrange decks are so common is they get to use a lot of low rarity cards very efficiently, and aren't really built around champions.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    They need a champion rotation like you have in LoL. Each week everyone gets two temporary copies of a champion from each faction. I think that's the worst part of the gating, there are whole strategies and archetypes you can't even try without some of them.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

You just have to race it. It's 2 damage a turn, and it takes up a space from more anything bigger. And it can't block. Shadow isles doesn't have a bunch of beefy dudes so you just hammer them. Bonus points if they play the 1/1 that cant block. That's 1/3 of their slots taken up with no defense.

Also you can purify it, or detain it, or frostbite it, or recall it (especially after they kill it a few times)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I've had mixed success with Undying one. Most of the time they're just not going to block it, and you cant use it to block yourself. So it's up to you to grow it. It works well with the kill and ally and draw two cards, the 0 cost follower that needs to kill an ally to be played, and especially the guy who kills and revives an ally since you get an extra Undying one out of it. But unless you're getting lucky with the timing of your draws a lot of the time it's a really mana inefficient 2/2 that can't block.
    My last expedition was quite lucky with the Inspiring Mentor on turn one followed by a boosted Navori Conspirator on turn two. Didn't run into many other people with elusives, and fend off the challenger grabs with frostbites and stuns. Alsoit's been mentioned already but Dawn and Dusk on Zed is pretty satisying. Just have to hope they can't fast pop your Zed. In most cases they would have already if he's been out a turn.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    So there's a minion that, when cast, force recalls three enemy minions. That, uh, that seems pretty good.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    So there's a minion that, when cast, force recalls three enemy minions. That, uh, that seems pretty good.

The 9 cost 6/5? Pretty fair. The other dudes in that price range are a 7/7 tough rally, a 9/9 who gives all allies barrier when he enters play or attacks, or "kill all units." The 8/9/10 mana cards are really "win the game unless your opponent can deal with this right now"

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The killer one is The Box, which does 3 damage to all units summoned that round. Basically an I Win button in a lot of late-game scenarios since it can leave you with zero cards to play.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular

If you level your vault high enough to have at least one diamond chest, you will definitely get a token, so you can get one free one per week. You will probably also get enough shards (or pretty close) to do another, which will become more likely the more you've filled out your collection since you'll have a higher redundant hit rate.

If you level your weekly vault to level 10 you are guaranteed an expedition token. So level 10 is a good goal to shoot for every week.

• Options
    When do the daily quests and bonuses and such reset btw?

• Options
    edited January 2020

The 9 cost 6/5? Pretty fair. The other dudes in that price range are a 7/7 tough rally, a 9/9 who gives all allies barrier when he enters play or attacks, or "kill all units." The 8/9/10 mana cards are really "win the game unless your opponent can deal with this right now"

Oh yeah, they definitely are. The one that gives all allies barrier on play and attack is my favorite as a Demacia dude so far, but yes, I was surprised when I first saw the recall three enemies 9 mana 6/5.

Especially as I had JUST played the Brightsteel 9 mana card and was about to wipe his board.
    shryke wrote: »
    The killer one is The Box, which does 3 damage to all units summoned that round. Basically an I Win button in a lot of late-game scenarios since it can leave you with zero cards to play.
    I have not yet encountered this one. I want to build new decks, but scared to waste any of the wild cards thus far. Just focusing on getting each region to level 4.

Currently I am running a Demacia / Noxus deck that I am enjoying and have decided that the elusive decks are this game's version of Mono-red. Killing them with challengers / spells brings me great joy....and I experience great sadness when I don't get the cards I need.

Bizazedo on
  • Options

Oh yeah, they definitely are. The one that gives all allies barrier on play and attack is my favorite as a Demacia dude so far, but yes, I was surprised when I first saw the recall three enemies 9 mana 6/5.

Especially as I had JUST played the Brightsteel 9 mana card and was about to wipe his board.
    I have not yet encountered this one. I want to build new decks, but scared to waste any of the wild cards thus far. Just focusing on getting each region to level 4.

Currently I am running a Demacia / Noxus deck that I am enjoying and have decided that the elusive decks are this game's version of Mono-red. Killing them with challengers / spells brings me great joy....and I experience great sadness when I don't get the cards I need.

Eh, just build shit. Riot's goal is that an F2P player will be able to build the whole set and keep up with expansions at I think...seven hours a week or something? You'll be fine.

• Options
    Eh, just build shit. Riot's goal is that an F2P player will be able to build the whole set and keep up with expansions at I think...seven hours a week or something? You'll be fine.
    But my insecurities!

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

Once you do your 3 you can do unlimited expeditions at no cost. You get no reward apart from XP (plus regular win XP and quest completion). I got lucky and got a 7 winner with my firs token so managed to do 3 last week without spending any money. This week my vault had a token, and enough shards for another. So I just have to win enough shards between those 2 to afford the third.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I've had mixed success with Undying one. Most of the time they're just not going to block it, and you cant use it to block yourself. So it's up to you to grow it. It works well with the kill and ally and draw two cards, the 0 cost follower that needs to kill an ally to be played, and especially the guy who kills and revives an ally since you get an extra Undying one out of it. But unless you're getting lucky with the timing of your draws a lot of the time it's a really mana inefficient 2/2 that can't block.
    My last expedition was quite lucky with the Inspiring Mentor on turn one followed by a boosted Navori Conspirator on turn two. Didn't run into many other people with elusives, and fend off the challenger grabs with frostbites and stuns. Alsoit's been mentioned already but Dawn and Dusk on Zed is pretty satisying. Just have to hope they can't fast pop your Zed. In most cases they would have already if he's been out a turn.

Dawn and Dusk is honestly cheap for how backbreaking it can be. If you have any good overwhelm or evasive beats it's a win now card.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

What if I get all the cards in the wrong order?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So I just lost an easily winnable game in expedition because of a lot of nonsense: first, if a player attacks in challenger mode and you do not have a unit to "block" you do not get a block turn to do anything with your priority. Second, a player was able to win with Fiora by rallying which passed priority but somehow didn't allow me to cast a creature spell. They then won easily with back to back barriers. All of these turns I also had burst spells in hand to deal with every threat they had.

Incredibly salty.

EDIT: And just lose the overall Expedition by having ZERO way to deal with the Elusive units. Fun.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    So I just lost an easily winnable game in expedition because of a lot of nonsense: first, if a player attacks in challenger mode and you do not have a unit to "block" you do not get a block turn to do anything with your priority. Second, a player was able to win with Fiora by rallying which passed priority but somehow didn't allow me to cast a creature spell. They then won easily with back to back barriers. All of these turns I also had burst spells in hand to deal with every threat they had.

Incredibly salty.

EDIT: And just lose the overall Expedition by having ZERO way to deal with the Elusive units. Fun.

If you have nothing to do (for the blocking) it auto passes. You can turn that off

The Demacian rally is a burst spell. It does not pass priority

• Options
    Yeah, I've been having the same issue with my Expedition run and Elusive. Or fucking Teemo and his shrooms.

Unless you have very very specific things in your deck and frankly, in your hand, it feels like there's no counter to this shit.

The guy had Teemo and multiple of these cards that let you get even more shrooms. And since I lack elusive units or direct damage or any way to stop him casting spells, I literally got to shit there while he loaded more then 40 shrooms into my deck. I died from pulling a card and taking 7 damage to my nexus.

The counters to elusive in general feel too specific and too rare.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Also, I encountered literally the most bullshit single card I've ever seen.

Captain Ledros.
    An 8/6 for 8 mana that fucking halves the health of your nexus when you play him.
    Oh, and if he dies, he goes right back into your fucking hand. So you can play him again.

I was winning a game and a guy played Ledros and then made him elusive and literally did 16 nexus damage in 2 turns and instantly killed me. I had literally one card to play to somehow stop this.

shryke on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I've been having the same issue with my Expedition run and Elusive. Or fucking Teemo and his shrooms.

Unless you have very very specific things in your deck and frankly, in your hand, it feels like there's no counter to this shit.

The guy had Teemo and multiple of these cards that let you get even more shrooms. And since I lack elusive units or direct damage or any way to stop him casting spells, I literally got to shit there while he loaded more then 40 shrooms into my deck. I died from pulling a card and taking 7 damage to my nexus.

The counters to elusive in general feel too specific and too rare.

Yeah, I've pulled a couple games out of the fire now because basically nothing stops The Epyrean into Dawn and Dusk for 18+ elusive out of nowhere.

Just played the raw Teemo deck and if I wasn't running even faster aggro I'd have lost.

Edit: Code for the current deck I've been using
    CEBACAICBQBACBBIFQBAMAIEAEJBWJZUG4EACAQCAYERUHRNGE4QEAIBAQ3AEAICDAYA

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Ledros is an asshole and I put him in my deck as soon as I got him.

The first time he got played against me I learned that his ability rounds up as he was revived again and again and killed me without him ever actually hitting me.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, Dusk and Dawn's pretty ridiculous. I remember during the Preview weekends I hit someone with five Tryndamere's at once due to Karma double-casting it.

I wonder if it'd be better if the copies had blank text boxes and keywords.

EDIT: Karma continues to be hilarious. Someone decided to let her go un-blocked late-game against their nexus, and blocked everyone else...

And then she double-cast Battle Fury on herself, giving herself +8/+4 twice. boop goes the nexus.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I love this game. Been playing mostly non-stop since it came back up.

Still having to get used to the unintuitive timings/priorites. All the years spent playing Magic certainly helps in terms of general strategy, but also hurts because of how different the stack and stuff works.

I've lost a couple of games thinking I could chain Noxian Guillotine (Fast, kill a damaged unit, you can cast this again this round) during combat. Nope! You just get the one, then combat resolves and by the time you have the opportunity to cast it again you're dead. I guess it would work if it were burst rather than fast.

It's frustrating not being able to respond to burst effects like Barrier going onto a Fiora but on the other hand Magic has always had a problem with buff spells being bad because of the huge risk of getting two-for-oned so I think I'm okay with it.

There are so many things I love about the design of the game. Right up at the top has to be the incredible art! Being able to go in and see the full screen art is breathtaking as well as fun.

• Options
    I don't know what I think about the game. As people get more cards, the refined decks are going to be terrifying.

I started out thinking it meh and wonky. Then, I really got into it over the weekend and loved it.

Over the last few days, I'm backsliding towards meh....but that might be because I ran into better elusive decks / better refined ones? I dunno.

I'm comparing elusive decks to monored in my head where sometimes, you just cannot win if they get a nutdraw....but monored kills you faster.

• Options
    I don't know what I think about the game. As people get more cards, the refined decks are going to be terrifying.

I started out thinking it meh and wonky. Then, I really got into it over the weekend and loved it.

Over the last few days, I'm backsliding towards meh....but that might be because I ran into better elusive decks / better refined ones? I dunno.

I'm comparing elusive decks to monored in my head where sometimes, you just cannot win if they get a nutdraw....but monored kills you faster.

Freeplay, just in the last like 3-4 days, has gone from "My thrown together deck is doing decent" to "Everyone is running some crazy synergy deck and I am getting stomped half the time".

• Options

Freeplay, just in the last like 3-4 days, has gone from "My thrown together deck is doing decent" to "Everyone is running some crazy synergy deck and I am getting stomped half the time".
    Yeah, pretty much. Netdecking is a thing, but also it's not like there's that many cards either, so even netdecking isn't required too much. Some things are obviously pushed as an archetype.

I was watching a bit of Dog play last night and he mentioned something I agree with. You burn shards / wild cards to craft a deck, fine, but then you run into a ton of people running a deck that brutalizes it....and you can't build a counter. A F2P player issue, sure, but if you're not used to it and have no issue spending money on a game, you're stuck and now don't want to play until you can get XP again.

After my games started giving zero XP yesterday, I was like, welp, guess I'm done until tomorrow.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Elusive, in the end, is just flying from MTG. And flying has always been solid in limited. Unfortunately, we don't have the equivalent of the Reach keyword to help mitigate it right now. I'm sure we'll get more ways to deal with them as more things are added.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    On a similar note I just finished my first 7-0 Expedition, carried entirely by 2/2 flyers that cantrip.
    PUh7MC7.png?1u2Po05U.jpg?1

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc