Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Taking Tau up against Custodes for the first time this weekend, any advice?

Depends wildly on the list. They have no psychics (doesn't help you). They will want to get into melee -- don't let them. They generally have few options for shooting down tanks IIRC. Massed fire screws them up.

I need to buy some cables for modeling wires on my AdMech. Had a piece break off (one of the walky talkies hanging off a backpack) and I think my best bet is just to have a random wire or two hanging where it used to be, to model combat damage. What gauge wire to get for that? I'm looking at 30 gauge (.25mm) and 24gague (.5mm) right now....

Stainless steel work, or should I look for copper wire instead?

You want copper: softer, more flexible metal is much easier to work with and won’t wear out your clippers. You want a gauge slightly smaller than your pin vice drill.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Buy some cheap copper wiring from any hardware store and strip it

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    When you guys base with cork board how are you affixing the mini? Video I'm watching it attaching wires to the bottoms of feel but it seems like superglue should be fine?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    When you guys base with cork board how are you affixing the mini? Video I'm watching it attaching wires to the bottoms of feel but it seems like superglue should be fine?

I've used super glue for my knights and they hold really well, I never worry about them falling off though I think the small amount of crackle paint around the feet also helps keep them in place.

Pinning is never a bad idea but super glue should work fine.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, all my daughters of khaine are just super glued to cork where appropriate, unless it's a particularly weighty/imbalanced model you should be fine.

• Options
    I like pinning the model’s feet before I prime. Then after priming and basecoating I’ll stick it in cork (or the base unglued if I’m using the GE handle) to detail it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpzachRvDs8

I remember that box. Dear god.

... Wonder where it ended up.

DoMTZ2sh.jpg

Had some time last night. Missing some stuff -- need a color scheme for plasma, and need to do things like the eye lenses and sword, but making progress. (Edit: And washes! Definitely need washes!)

Edit: Leaning towards following Saint Two Thin Coats's guide and going Caledor Sky with a Baharroth Blue highlight, but I don't quite think it works. Maybe Baharroth Blue with a some Drakenhof Nightshade wash?

No idea what to do for bases. Snot Green and Flock, maybe?

Edit: Basing is an issue cause I want to match my AdMech, my Custodes, and my Blood Ravens.

Maybe just paint them with some form of texture and call it good?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Hm.

eqjzcy7q8sxq.png

Maybe just going pure white, or using "cool white" (grey with blue shade layered with light grey/white highlights) is the way to go?

Or uh... wow. I couldn't match this I don't think, but, I like it.

qbfszzlub06c.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/BloodAngels/comments/ahcz7f/finally_got_a_close_up_of_my_blood_angel_with/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHBtxJACE0

Hm. Using the grooves as a natural measuring stick... going pure white in the middle, spreading to blue on the sides... maybe some Drakenhof shade while holding the model upside down so the shade doesn't go "up" into the white...

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    This video shows how to paint blue glow effects without an airbrush

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLZZbndav8

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    vtu6dibhczzk.png

Gonna rotate it so the "face" is against the cape, so it being blank isn't a huge problem.

• Options
    The omnissiah demands more Nuln Oil on those metallics!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The omnissiah demands more Nuln Oil on those metallics!

Oh yeah, need to do the washes. Was going to do so today but got distracted.

IAG6xkHh.jpg

It is DEFINITELY easier to do these in pieces, haha.

Cloak needed some liquid greenstuff becuase of some really bad grooves, but LGS and I don't get along.

• Options
    I’ve never heard of any praise for LGS outside of adding texture to flat areas.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    For dumb multipart capes like those use plastic glue, dab a little extra so it squeezes out from the gaps, then sand down the excess.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I’ve never heard of any praise for LGS outside of adding texture to flat areas.

I quite like LGS, but I'll admit its quirks. About the most unfortunate quality it has is how much it tends to shrink; it can be very good at hiding hairline seams and cracks, but it does a poor job of filling gaps without multiple applications.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I really dislike it when people refuses to get the new rules for stuff and play with outdated rules for armies. My friends how a friend who has a bunch of 40K stuff and he has sisters of battle and wont get the new codex and just keeps playing with the rules from chapter approved and it is so annoying.

He also gets so many rules wrong and argues and gets bitchy when he is called on it.

I'm pretty sure he also wont buy the ritual of the damned book for his grey knights but seems like he is going to try and use the new rules anyway.

He also makes lists based on point cost from memory so I have no idea if his lists are too low, just right, or too high.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Don't play with chuds like that?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I’m not sure why you’d play someone like that; this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. Why subject yourself to that type of battle?

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I really dislike it when people refuses to get the new rules for stuff and play with outdated rules for armies. My friends how a friend who has a bunch of 40K stuff and he has sisters of battle and wont get the new codex and just keeps playing with the rules from chapter approved and it is so annoying.

He also gets so many rules wrong and argues and gets bitchy when he is called on it.

I'm pretty sure he also wont buy the ritual of the damned book for his grey knights but seems like he is going to try and use the new rules anyway.

He also makes lists based on point cost from memory so I have no idea if his lists are too low, just right, or too high.

Judging solely by this post, I'm feeling pretty confident in guessing that he's erring on the side of undercosting his army.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Everytime I hear these kind of stories I'm always baffled, I've never met anyone like this playing 40k and only very rarely playing tabletop RPGs... and then only ever once.

If someone is weird and cheats, don't play games with them...?

• Options
    I can definitely not play with him but it doesn't stop him from being around because he is friends with the two people I play 40K with and they are totally fine with his dumb bullshit. They give me shit for calling him out on dumb stuff because it is slowing the game down. It is very annoying

• Options
    The two other people you play games with also seem like people to not play games with. :/

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It is very annoying
    "Do you guys seriously not have a problem with his rules changing every time you play, sometimes turn to turn?"

I've played a few times with people who swear 'It's okay, I got it all memorized.' It's been a while since the last time that happened, but my response was, 'Sorry, I don't do that anymore. I'm sure you do have it all in your head, but past experience has just been too miserable to do that again.'

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I can't really not play with my two friends because besides my brother they are the only ones I play with and when the annoying dude isn't around they are a lot better about rules shit. They are also basically the only two people I ever hangout with.

I am definitely not gonna let this dude keep this nonsense up though. I'm pretty tired of it. Mostly the friend who complains about me rules checking him is the one who just hates playing 40K anyway and I told him not to play but my other friend talked him into playing.

He really likes AoS though so hopefully he just sells his Blood Angels and goes right into AoS.

I do feel like I am kind of making things larger than they are, I don't know. I am absolutely not gonna let someone make the game miserable for me but I'm gonna see if things can get to a spot where we are enjoy the game.

Stragint on

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I don't know man, I continue to be baffled, there's three people you exclusively hang out with, one of which you hate and another of which you wish would stop playing the game?

I assume you're in an extremely rural area and have no choice? Because why spend your time with people who annoy you?

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I don't know man, I continue to be baffled, there's three people you exclusively hang out with, one of which you hate and another of which you wish would stop playing the game?

I assume you're in an extremely rural area and have no choice? Because why spend your time with people who annoy you?

I exclusively hang out with 2 people, the third dude only comes around sometimes when they invite him and I only want the one playing Blood Angels to stop because he hates it and would rather play AoS so he should transition into that.

Besides the third person who I do not consider a friend the other two and I play a lot of other stuff besides 40K.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    If I can offer some advice Stragint, you might be pleasantly surprised if you check out the local hobby stores. Even in rural North Carolina I was able to find a good amount of friends for 40k and all my other hobbies, albeit at the end of an hour long drive. I’ve got about 6 friends I still keep up with and I was only there for 2 years. I’ve been watching a few TED talks recently that are about expanding your social circle via weak relationships, and there’s a lot of benefits to going out and making new friends regularly.

My technique is to start on the 40k website store locator and the Meetup app to find hobby places. I actually found a lot of success by offering to do demo games in-store.

Edit: thinking about this a little bit I’m worried this post comes off as over simplistic or unsympathetic: I don’t know what sort of reasons you have for being in the situation you’re in, and I don’t want to give the impression that they’re unimportant. Even though I’m an extrovert, I get anxious about going out and meeting new people. I often have to schedule these outings in the same way I have to schedule time for working out or doing chores. Sometimes it feels very chore-like. I have to focus on the benefits and how I’ll feel afterwards to gain the motivation to go outside my comfort zone: it’s not always easy for me is what I’m saying, and I can appreciate that it might be even more difficult for others. I’m only urging you to consider expanding your hobby circle because I’ve personally found it to be extremely rewarding.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The only thing stopping me from playing 40k/aos/shadespire/kill team out of the house is the fact I ride a bike and it's about 5 miles from my house and I had a bike
    I did it a few times just that was when I had a job and free time and my life did not go into the dumpster

• Options
    If I can offer some advice Stragint, you might be pleasantly surprised if you check out the local hobby stores. Even in rural North Carolina I was able to find a good amount of friends for 40k and all my other hobbies, albeit at the end of an hour long drive. I’ve got about 6 friends I still keep up with and I was only there for 2 years. I’ve been watching a few TED talks recently that are about expanding your social circle via weak relationships, and there’s a lot of benefits to going out and making new friends regularly.

My technique is to start on the 40k website store locator and the Meetup app to find hobby places. I actually found a lot of success by offering to do demo games in-store.

Edit: thinking about this a little bit I’m worried this post comes off as over simplistic or unsympathetic: I don’t know what sort of reasons you have for being in the situation you’re in, and I don’t want to give the impression that they’re unimportant. Even though I’m an extrovert, I get anxious about going out and meeting new people. I often have to schedule these outings in the same way I have to schedule time for working out or doing chores. Sometimes it feels very chore-like. I have to focus on the benefits and how I’ll feel afterwards to gain the motivation to go outside my comfort zone: it’s not always easy for me is what I’m saying, and I can appreciate that it might be even more difficult for others. I’m only urging you to consider expanding your hobby circle because I’ve personally found it to be extremely rewarding.

I don't really like people or meeting new people in person. I'm very fake and talkative at work because it is the only way I'm gonna get anywhere there. I don't mind playing games online with people but in person something just bothers me.

I have 3 places all within 20 miles that I can play at and one I used to play at with random people and made friends before I started being the way that I am. I even see them sometimes but I don't really talk to them, just a hi and how are you type thing. There are also people on the the FB page for the main LGS in the area that post about doing a quick pick up game for 40K or other stuff.

One of the people I play with is a friend I've had since high school, he kind of fights me on rules sometimes even though he and the friend that play Blood Angels ask me about the rules. The last time was wobbly model syndrome and charging with a dreadnought that got fly from a psychic spell so it could charge onto the top floor of a building that there was no space for it to be on. He argued that the pillars to the side that were a dome that no model could be placed on because it would 100% fall off was eligible for wobbly model for the dreadnought.

This is normal between that friend and the Blood Angels friend though. We do it anytime we play a competitive game. It took us months to finish Risk Legacy because we kept getting mad at each other.

This other dude though who is not my friend and just friends with the other two was someone they played Twilight Imperium with and I feel pretty confident they complained about him at times during that but they as play MTG with him and because he has so many models for 40K they like to invite him because they want to expand the play group so we can do more narrative based stuff even though my one friend just hates playing.

He is mostly the issue when it comes to ignoring rules so stuff goes faster. He doesn't like playing and he keeps getting talked into playing and then being miserable most of the time. We also have to keep explaining the rules to him every time because it is basically in one ear and out the other because he has no interest in it. He did buy the battletome for Cities of Sigmar because he loves the look of the dude on the front of the cover so I'm really hoping he just sells his Blood Angels and dives into AoS because he seems so much more excited to play that. Though the other problem with his Blood Angels is he refuses to buy anything else to make the army run better because he doesn't like playing because his army doesn't do well and we end up in a vicious cycle.

I do have a few other friends but I don't really hang out with them often. I'd say including my two friends I've been talking about I have 5 others who are into various hobbies themselves that we play together.

I feel like I just have a really hard to get along with personality and if I don't get along with someone almost right away I don't want to deal with them at all. I mean when the dude my friends invited argued with me about point values that an army can be for apocalypse translated from 40K he just ended up repeating, "yea, whatever, you're right" and I reinforced the fuck out of that and basically just listed all the times I proved him wrong on rules that night which is not normally something I would do but I was annoyed by this dude.

I kind of suck but I also like having fun. My friend from high school and I love when stuff explodes in 40K. I made a list for him with my Necrons with as many things as possible that could explode. We use command point rerolls to try and make something explode. We goof off a lot.

But yea, I kind of suck because I don't want to meet new people which causes other problems for my personal life but there is no shortage of people to play with if I really wanted to build out my play group and weirdly Arizona has a pretty strong competitive presence.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I really can't imagine a more unfun time than playing with someone who's actively disinterested in playing.
    Sounds like (from this, and previous accounts) you're not that jazzed with your current playgroup, but like italianranma said, it'll take some elbow grease to make things actually improve. If making meaningful relationships is really difficult but something you legitimately want, it'll probably take some more grease outside of hobbies (ie: therapy).

Also, pick up games don't HAVE to be about making lasting friends. Play with some randoms with the expectation that you'll never see them again just to have fun playing the game with new blood.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I really can't imagine a more unfun time than playing with someone who's actively disinterested in playing.

I have met people willing to cheat [far more during the brief time I played mage knight} People who were just cheap {I bought this army and DO NOT know to update it because of rules changes this was a rather vocal person} Or people just so unaware that the game/army got an update
    I have played games against silly geese or worse

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

I don't really like people or meeting new people in person.

I’m pretty similar, and to be honest that’s even more of a reason to push yourself to find new people to play against. I don’t have the social energy to want to play against people I’m not comfortable being around, and GW games are janky enough and take so much time to play that if you and your opponent don’t have the same mind set or approach to the hobby then it’s gunna get real old real fast.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    One of the strengths of Warhammer is that it’s perfect for meeting people, even if you struggle with it.

It’s a social event, where the rules are actually very rigid and predefined. You know why you’re there, your opponent knows why you’re there. You don’t need to make small talk, or think of conversation topics. You already have a common interest. It does a lot of the heavy lifting in meeting someone new.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    One of the strengths of Warhammer is that it’s perfect for meeting people, even if you struggle with it.

It’s a social event, where the rules are actually very rigid and predefined. You know why you’re there, your opponent knows why you’re there. You don’t need to make small talk, or think of conversation topics. You already have a common interest. It does a lot of the heavy lifting in meeting someone new.

To be fair, lots of Warhammer players are going to want to tell you about their custom Chapter and why it’s so cool. That or why Space Wolves have a reason to team up with whatever they souped them with.

Or T’au players wanting to talk about Gundam wing...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Norgoth wrote: »

To be fair, lots of Warhammer players are going to want to tell you about their custom Chapter and why it’s so cool. That or why Space Wolves have a reason to team up with whatever they souped them with.

Or T’au players wanting to talk about Gundam wing...

As the kind of gamer who used to enjoy just hanging out in Atlas Park and reading other peoples' character bios in City of Heroes (both the good ones, and the tragic), I can say that for some of us that sounds like a good time.

Also, Wing's certainly not the best Gundam, but it was a fun show.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Despite people pooh-poohing GW cans, I am finding that Leadbelcher Spray certifiably whips ass

Can't get over how thoroughly it covers and how SMOOTH it comes out

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    As a Space Marine player I will happily tell you all of the dumb lore I have come up with for my custom chapter, and how it has impacted which models I have purchased, as well as how I have built them to line up with said lore.

I will also happily listen when someone else tells me all about their army, and their characters, and their battles.

I love that shit.

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Sounds like (from this, and previous accounts) you're not that jazzed with your current playgroup, but like italianranma said, it'll take some elbow grease to make things actually improve. If making meaningful relationships is really difficult but something you legitimately want, it'll probably take some more grease outside of hobbies (ie: therapy).

Also, pick up games don't HAVE to be about making lasting friends. Play with some randoms with the expectation that you'll never see them again just to have fun playing the game with new blood.

I know it sound super shitty but I don't want to play with random people. It does suck playing with my friend with the Blood Angels which is why I suggest every time he talks about how he hates playing 40K or hates his army that he sells them for AoS stuff which he finds significantly more aesthetically pleasing and thinks the rules are better. I don't mind playing with my other friend with the Custodes cause honestly we usually try to just see who can do the most absurd shit and he is also building up a Thousand Sons and Imperial Guard army. My brother is also fine to play with most times and he is working on a Tyranid army now.

This other dude is easily avoided, at least avoiding playing games with him. I don't mind telling someone I'm not gonna play with them even if it makes shit awkward.

I'm just not a social person in anyway outside of my friend group. I get extremely annoyed when some random person at the LGS walks up to look at our stuff while we are playing. I'm also the only one who gets annoyed so I never say anything because I don't want to be that dude and because I know the person is doing absolutely nothing wrong. My two friends are also very social so they end up talking to the person and I can't really bring myself to.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm actually a bit disappointed that the T'au reaction to the wider universe and the warp etc seems to be to become more like the imperium. Like in today's psychic awakening story.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit disappointed that the T'au reaction to the wider universe and the warp etc seems to be to become more like the imperium. Like in today's psychic awakening story.

I think those are 4th sphere expansion fleet troops. They went through the warp without gellar fields and while something implied to be a nascent warp god mostly protected the tau it didnt protect their alien axillary troops who mutated or were consumed. The tau survivors were noted to act with extreme hostility to all aliens, allied or otherwise and its a major point of concern for Shadowsun but she's too low on troops to bench them. They dont represent general attitudes.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg