As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C'mon chummers we're going on a Shadow[chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Early internet discourse (bbs, list serves, etc) were influenced by academia and a reaction to 1980s and 1990s censorship and religious moral panic. The anonymity baked in from the start def comes from a place of wanting to let people be weird without being assured it would follow them back to real life. It came from a naive hope that freedom of expression was a self-policing ultimate good. At the time it was a left wing cornerstone.

Modern internet platforms are pretty much a straight line from there, with little deviation. The evils that have arisen are largely borne of scale and a reality catching up with free speech idealists.

I'd argue the situation we're in now is not "scale" and "reality" but rather "business" and "profit motive" grabbing onto the internet. The problem is not that people have free speech, the problem is that their speech is amplified in proportion to its drama and engagement, that the focuses of our attention are being manipulated by astroturfing and reinforcing feedback loops. We aren't just seeing the naked follies of human psychology, we are seeing them exploited ruthlessly for gain.

Reddit is not making money off it's shitty people. Quite the opposite in fact. It's a cultural phenomenon. A specific belief in certain kinds of free speech and the results of that philosophy being put to the test.

It's not even just the internet honestly. Society as a whole has only been very slowly catching on to the fact that being able to say anything you want in response is not a solution to being able to say anything you want.

Reddit is a for-profit company that has been extremely aggressively attempting to hit growth goals for most of its existence. The idea that this situation is a necessary end result of free speech is a smokescreen. The problem is not that the internet has free speech, the problem is that the amplification of that speech is benefiting specific groups and philosophies over others.

Reddit is a company that has been trying desperately to not have to jettison it's shittier elements for years and years now (with varying degrees of holding that line) despite those sections of it being a major problem for the company in securing ad revenue. We had a whole thread about this a few years back. Some of the worst parts of Reddit, past or present, are bad for business. But they stick or stuck around anyway, because that's the kind of platform they wanted for ideological reasons. Reddit is a very obvious example of the way that free speech ideology is a large driver of behaviour in this space.

In general the ways in which people/firms/etc do not make profit maximizing decisions but in fact make bad decisions based on specific ideologies or personal beliefs or the like is one of the key critiques of capitalism as a system and why it often fails to function well.

You realize that the reason this is a problem is because the people in control of reddit are specific types of people and are protecting a specific type of ideology, and that this is because their ownership of the platform empowers them to make decisions that protect these ideas regardless of what the broader will of their users or the people in general would be? It is the centralized control over what is and isn't allowed on reddit that biases the entire culture of the platform. Also, I think you would be naive to think that these less savory elements are somehow hurting them financially. Hatred drives engagement, advertisers leaving is not enough to dent that.

This is a massive moving of goalposts. You said:
    I'd argue the situation we're in now is not "scale" and "reality" but rather "business" and "profit motive" grabbing onto the internet.
    Reddit is a for-profit company that has been extremely aggressively attempting to hit growth goals for most of its existence.
    You've been arguing the problem is that this kind of shit is profitable. But it's not. It is, in fact, in many ways unprofitable. But it continues. Because it's not about profit, it's about ideology.

There are definitely companies (coughFacebookcough) driving negative ... just everything for everyone in search of profit. But that is far from the sole source of the kind of behaviour being talked about and platforms not driven by engagement metrics predate those kind of platforms and have problems within that same area. Because a lot of what they reflecting is a culture on the internet built on specific ideologies and the expression of them in how communication platforms are designed and self-policed. Even fucking twitter is driven by these ideas if you pay attention to what it's leadership is up to.
    I believe the leaders of all the social media companies were in fact a-social libertarian weirdos in the first place so yeah it seems like the corporate culture reflects their values more than profit-driving somehow placing them all in the same space.

You're assuming that there's no relationship between being in charge of a large company and being an a-social libertarian weirdo, when it is exactly that type of person who is benefited by capitalism.

According to what?

Given the research on economic mobility, the people who are benefited by capitalism are the people who's parents were already doing well.

And someone's parents has what influence on their beliefs?

uh, massive influence?

I can think of few bigger single factors that influences your views than whether or not your parents are rich or not

This is exactly my point.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Lol I thought supernatural finished 8 years ago.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have altered this creme brulee recipe and am nervous about how it will turn out.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Supernatural is on like season 15 now? I'm not even sure if there's any mythology left to plumb for their villains.

I mean all the mythology is literally just *insert name of anything from mythology here* but can change it's appearance so it just looks like a person.

They can literally just scroll through names and call a random human actor whatever they want.

It's the most disappointing use of mythos I have ever seen.

I honestly don't understand how a show can be based entirely around creatures and mythology without actually having any creatures or monsters in it.

Running theme in the show when I was watching: humans are the worst monster.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The correct answer to any "X or Y" question is Sisko.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I have altered this creme brulee. Pray I do not alter it any further.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    All I ever waaaaanted

All I ever neeeeeeded

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I tried to watch supernatural with the leviathan stuff and then Angels, previously so powerful that one of them could annihilate all their enemies just by showing itself, were just guys you beat up

eh

the show should have ended when they defeated lucifer and stopped the apocalypse, that's kind of a peak

override367 on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Richness of parents matters a lot less than their views on stuff, I'd imagine.

As a rich parented person who thinks the estate tax should approach 100%...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Is heeeeeeeeeeeere

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    I have altered this creme brulee. Pray I do not alter it any further.

I almost posted this, it's.. true.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    working tonight, again, because it's been a stupid amount of weekends in a row

I have, again, put the thermal underwear in the wash a little too late, so now I'm just hoping it finishes in time to be dry

last weekend I had to take it straight out of the washer and put it on while wet, which made for an unpleasant first couple of hours

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Supernatural is on like season 15 now? I'm not even sure if there's any mythology left to plumb for their villains.

I mean all the mythology is literally just *insert name of anything from mythology here* but can change it's appearance so it just looks like a person.

They can literally just scroll through names and call a random human actor whatever they want.

It's the most disappointing use of mythos I have ever seen.

I honestly don't understand how a show can be based entirely around creatures and mythology without actually having any creatures or monsters in it.

Running theme in the show when I was watching: humans are the worst monster.

But they are not actually humans!

They just devote exact $0 to a budget for the show.

• Options
    In my aaaaaarms

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Cat flipped the script on dog and sniffing her butt for a change.

Morning chat! I just got off work.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Squaresoft, still real fucking good at CG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrheLf0Ki0

You know, I guess I had never realized at the time of playing how much of a dystopian hellscape FFVII was. Is that why I like cyberpunk so much?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Lol I thought supernatural finished 8 years ago.

Honestly the real show finished after season 5, the shambling corpse lived on

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The new FF7 intro shows more of the setting.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The new FF7 intro shows more of the setting.

Highlights how barren the land around it is, which is definitely needed to see to drive home the "Barret aint lying about this killing the planet" shit

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

Our fluffy cat sometimes forgets she hates the kitten, and chases her around to play. Then the kitten reciprocates and she growls angrily.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have altered this creme brulee recipe and am nervous about how it will turn out.

If it's all brulee I'm on board.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It is when my wife has the torch. I still have not gotten all the singed matter off of the ramekins and it's been months since last I made this.

• Options
    I'm putting together a custom macropad with cherry mx mechanical switches and relegendable keycaps.

I'm so far past help I can't even see the point I passed it anymore.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I'm putting together a custom macropad with cherry mx mechanical switches and relegendable keycaps.

gesundheit

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    h2rg73cx0mn4.jpeg

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Pics or it didn't happen.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Spoiled for v-scroll
    qcn5kho3xeg41.jpg

What in the fuck is any of this? It's like an alien language?

Superwholock?
    I'm surprised you haven't heard of that. Superwholock was the amalgamated fandom of Supernatural, Sherlock, and Doctor Who, back when they were all at their height.

Nobody has heard of this
    You know, I haven't heard of this. But I definitely know people who fall into this very specific fandom of dramatic genre nerd shows with handsome Caucasian male leads. Most of them are nerdy left-leaning women who live in conservative states, but that could just be the sample that I have.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    @Winky

Hoi, Chummer!

LET'S DO THIS!

BOOK TITLE. PAGE. I reserve the right to say no. Please @ me in your request so I don't have to read every post.

(Please be gentle I'm a fatass and just using a cell phone camera. Also ignore the mess.)

ZTpfGP9h.jpg

eGnGRFXh.jpg

j4GLz0oh.jpg

cxw5vLeh.jpg

iwHCDXZh.jpg

lE7YCAoh.jpg

SXxyd2Eh.jpg

T3s4nN6h.jpg

N6UT8dxh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

It is when my wife has the torch. I still have not gotten all the singed matter off of the ramekins and it's been months since last I made this.

She is good people.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That right there is 31 years of Shadowrun's evolution.

Drink it in.

And let the pink mohawks rule!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    War!, page 100.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    Winky

Hoi, Chummer!

LET'S DO THIS!

BOOK TITLE. PAGE. I reserve the right to say no.

(Please be gentle I'm a fatass and just using a cell phone camera. Also ignore the mess.)

5GJe4e8h.jpg

j3NVelXh.jpg

(snip)
    The exact point at which I switched from physical to PDF for the vast majority of the books (except the core and main splatbooks) is Ghost Cartels.

EDIT: Ooo, One Stage Before. I've never owned that in physical before. :)

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

She is good people.

The torch has no regulator! It spurts and I have to stand far away fanning the smoke detector and yet also grab it when it misbehaves!

• Options
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You could get a new torch?

• Options

She is good people.

The torch has no regulator! It spurts and I have to stand far away fanning the smoke detector and yet also grab it when it misbehaves!

Sounds like a party. <3

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    cB557

xIyBNnWh.jpg
    Uh. Is that War! or is that The Street Samurai Catalog? Or is that from a previous request?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

Our fluffy cat sometimes forgets she hates the kitten, and chases her around to play. Then the kitten reciprocates and she growls angrily.

Blossom is getting a little better about not growling at every dog she meets

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

Pics or it didn't happen.

You'll be atted once it's complete now. I just put in the order and got an offer from someone to solder the components for $20 since I don't have proper ventilation in my apartment to do it.

Also, learning Autohotkey, which I'll leverage using QMK to run macro scripts.

• Options
    Well shit.

I just noticed I had a very, very prominent listing of my home address in those pictures, and I published them to imgur.

This discussion has been closed.