As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Well, here are some threads with a variety of possible solutions.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/7531/extreme-screen-flickering
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/864972399642318316/
    https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/disappearing_cursor_and_flickering_in_fullscreen_baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

The easiest options to try first would be to disable steam overlay (if you're running it through steam) and to switch off triple buffering and vsync in the nvidia control panel (if you've got an nvidia card).

IIRC, playing the game windowed will also fix it, though that's obviously not ideal. You can use the configuration tool to unlock much higher resolutions than are available by default.

I'm probably just going to get frustrated with it and not start it again. I'm using the GOG files, and followed the OP step for step. I can barely see the options as it flickers in and out, and looked for settings like these and couldn't find it.

Thanks for the links though will check them out.

The configuration tool is a separate program from the game. Check your folder in the start menu.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't even know where to look for that. Again, I followed the instructions in the OP, and it just flickers. Read the links, some things supposedly work ane somethings edon't for people, and I'm not even sure what settings theyre talking about. Unless someone knows the fix and can explain it to me, I'm just going to give up again even though I want to play it. Not sure why it's not working for me. Getting annoyed by it at this point.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Well for me it's

Start -> All Programs -> gog.com -> Baldur's Gate 2 -> config

If you didn't add folders to the start menu or something, the name of the program is "BGConfig.exe" in the Baldur's Gate 2 install directory. I don't know if that's the same for Baldur's Gate trilogy but it should give you a starting off point.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    The experience of playing an origin character feels substantially more fleshed out than fully custom characters; that's a criticism Larian themselves acknowledge and some of the interviews with the writers for BG3 suggest that they're trying to mitigate that issue for this game.
    It's always a tough balance. You inherently get deeper more connected stories when they are attached to a pre-built character since the story can connect to every quirk and trait they have. With custom characters, they'd have to stay a bit higher story wise so that you can just add an origin story to your custom character.
    I mean that's not really true. That's like saying the Baldur's Gate series has a shallower and less connected story than, say, Final Fantasy V. Bartz's story is fine, but "inherently deeper?" Nah.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    evilthecat wrote: »
    re: bg2 continuation

wasn't there a book or a comic series that canonically ended it?
    *googling*
    yeah this guy https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Abdel_Adrian

The Bhaalspawn stuff is done and over.

I don't mind seeing old chars, just as long as they flesh out new ones.
    As amusing as Minsc was, his story got told.

It's a story about gods, demons, and an invasion from hell. I have zero doubt that the game will have copious ties to the original.

I mean, it'll be a 50-100 hour RPG. Plenty of space for "Remember this!" quests and outright sequel story lines.

Only 50-100????

You missing a 0?

I feel like I definitely had save files in the 380 hour range...

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    What are the chances we get a companion for every class?

A druid npc was mentioned in the presentation. Possible it could join the party.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

A druid npc was mentioned in the presentation. Possible it could join the party.

I do hope for companions outside of just the Origin characters.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

I do hope for companions outside of just the Origin characters.

I wonder how off-beat will they go with them.

Half-Drow Bard. Dragonborn Druid. Halfling Paladin.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Halfling Paladin.

Mazzy was the best.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    She wasn’t a paladin!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    z63vezfumkb3.pngfixed

I found the new 5th Ed alignment chart used by mind flayers

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I wonder if they have a "tadpole goes here / not here" chart.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The experience of playing an origin character feels substantially more fleshed out than fully custom characters; that's a criticism Larian themselves acknowledge and some of the interviews with the writers for BG3 suggest that they're trying to mitigate that issue for this game.
    It's always a tough balance. You inherently get deeper more connected stories when they are attached to a pre-built character since the story can connect to every quirk and trait they have. With custom characters, they'd have to stay a bit higher story wise so that you can just add an origin story to your custom character.
    I mean that's not really true. That's like saying the Baldur's Gate series has a shallower and less connected story than, say, Final Fantasy V. Bartz's story is fine, but "inherently deeper?" Nah.

Baldur's Gate followed a different model - the epic story with a hole large enough to fit a custom character. You were always an orphan who starts out in Candlekeep, and your story was always about the issues of being a child of Baal.

It's the same model the Pathfinder game(s) from Owlcat follow - the depth comes from the situation and your character's dialog tags are connected to the alignment, class, and other conditions you choose in the character creator. The Larian model has this also, but they also have the Bioware option where you can play the game as an existing character with a developed backstory and relationships that connect to this past.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I don't think that Trajan was making a claim about stories from different games, but from a hypothetical single game. I don't think Trajan is claiming anything groundbreaking here. In a game, you have to deal with either narrowing the backstory of your character more, so that NPC's/quests/etc. can be tailored more to that backstory or you can have a more varied backstory that the player can choose, but then either the quests have to be either more vague to be applicable to more characters or that some quests won't apply to those characters.

I mean, the easiest example of this is something like romance options. If a game allows you to choose your gender, then the design team needs to choose how certain characters react to your character's gender (are they straight/gay/bi/ etc.). This then, in your words, you would make "miss out" on certain quests/romances in the game.

Its all on a spectrum, and you can certainly criticize a game for going too far one way or the other for your liking, but to say you (re: jdarksun) don't like D:OS2 because background choices lock you out of quests means that essentially any games with background choices will do the same thing?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm late to the party, but that animated trailer for BG3 was amazing. Mindflayers vs Githyanki!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Githxyz horrify me. I'm all aboard the mind flayer train.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Ah yes, Mindflayers or Gith?

AKA: Do I want to get kicked in the nuts or punched?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Is this thread bugged? Just testing.

• Options
    Well, here are some threads with a variety of possible solutions.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/7531/extreme-screen-flickering
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/864972399642318316/
    https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/disappearing_cursor_and_flickering_in_fullscreen_baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

The easiest options to try first would be to disable steam overlay (if you're running it through steam) and to switch off triple buffering and vsync in the nvidia control panel (if you've got an nvidia card).

IIRC, playing the game windowed will also fix it, though that's obviously not ideal. You can use the configuration tool to unlock much higher resolutions than are available by default.

I'm probably just going to get frustrated with it and not start it again. I'm using the GOG files, and followed the OP step for step. I can barely see the options as it flickers in and out, and looked for settings like these and couldn't find it.

Thanks for the links though will check them out.

The configuration tool is a separate program from the game. Check your folder in the start menu.
    Well for me it's

Start -> All Programs -> gog.com -> Baldur's Gate 2 -> config

If you didn't add folders to the start menu or something, the name of the program is "BGConfig.exe" in the Baldur's Gate 2 install directory. I don't know if that's the same for Baldur's Gate trilogy but it should give you a starting off point.

The nvidia control panel thing worked. I was getting frustrated that night, and couldn't find the configuration program, sorry if I came across as a dick.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Githzerai aren't so bad tho. Has it been confirmed which flavor of gith these are?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Think I have a godly character.

Human Mage

STR 10
    Dex 16
    Const 16
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Char 10 (I think, maybe 12, but think it's 10. believe i have 86 points all togther.)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

Githzerai aren't so bad tho. Has it been confirmed which flavor of gith these are?

Githtyanki going by the Character Creation screen.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Human Mage

STR 10
    Dex 16
    Const 16
    Int 18
    Wis 16
    Char 10 (I think, maybe 12, but think it's 10. believe i have 86 points all togther.)

Pretty sure I've gotten into the 90s after like an hour if rolling ;p

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Human Mage

STR 10
    Dex 16
    Const 16
    Int 18
    Wis 16

Pretty sure I've gotten into the 90s after like an hour if rolling ;p

Isn't there a thing if you roll 99 times you get all 18s? Or am I thinking of another game?

• Options
    Ugh, I can't remember how to select spells to cast/ add them to my hot bar.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Githtyanki going by the Character Creation screen.

Ahhh, well they're dicks but the illithids are even bigger dicks. I can see myself temporarily allying with the gith to take em out.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Githzerai are cool? I thought they were the uptight, lawful ones.

Githyanki are more Chaotic Evil iirc.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Githzerai are cool? I thought they were the uptight, lawful ones.

Githyanki are more Chaotic Evil iirc.

Githzerai are more lawful neutral monkish ascetics, and the Githyanki are lawful evil brutal warriors. Both subraces are psionic as well, and they both hate mind flayers in addition to each other

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I thought they were just the same race with two different cultures?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I thought they were just the same race with two different cultures?

They started out as one race but it's been s really long time and magic is involved too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ugh, I can't remember how to select spells to cast/ add them to my hot bar.

Figured it out . Wasn't actually resting as I was in town and being woken up. Now I'm off with some devious characters to fix some mines and some other guy who wants to kill bandits. The adventure has begun

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    kobold commandos

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    kobold commandos

Those dang fire/poison arrow guys.

• Options
    kobold commandos

Baldur's Gate TCG when?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    i remember Inquest (Wizard magainze's spinoff magazine for TCGs) hhhhhating Spellfire.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

There was the Blood Wars one.

How the hell are they played I don't know.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Now that I've been to NIsherhiem or whatever it is, will the 2 guys in my party cry about going there and the mines? I want to go kill ogres and level up, maybe complete a side quest first. I remember the mines being hard, and I didn't go to get the other 2 main characters yet at the inn. I remember that wizard guy fucking me up, so I ususally go to the mines first, get minsc and the other person you can get at the carnivall (both from stone to skin spells I think? Don't remember) and level up before getting the two at the inn. I dump the 2 evil guys.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Now that I've been to NIsherhiem or whatever it is, will the 2 guys in my party cry about going there and the mines? I want to go kill ogres and level up, maybe complete a side quest first. I remember the mines being hard, and I didn't go to get the other 2 main characters yet at the inn. I remember that wizard guy fucking me up, so I ususally go to the mines first, get minsc and the other person you can get at the carnivall (both from stone to skin spells I think? Don't remember) and level up before getting the two at the inn. I dump the 2 evil guys.

I think talking to the mayor of Nashkel should satisfy the timer for their quest. The thing you'll need to look out for is that Minsc has his own timer to rescue Dynaheir.

This discussion has been closed.