As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    For the record and for the future, that hum is the motor in the disposal trying to work against heavy resistance. The hum isn't something you should hear just supplying power to an electric motor.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    For the record and for the future, that hum is the motor in the disposal trying to work against heavy resistance. The hum isn't something you should hear just supplying power to an electric motor.

Yeah the blades were stuck, once I loosened them they were fine

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Could there be something still stick in there?

Be sure to unplug/flip the breaker on the disposal before taking a look and certainly before you stick you hand in there.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Could there be something still stick in there?

Be sure to unplug/flip the breaker on the disposal before taking a look and certainly before you stick you hand in there.

I used ice cubes and vinegar to clean it out, seems to be working fine now!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    So I guess I am buying a house? We are putting in an offer in the morning that's slightly lower than asking, but honestly if it's a deal breaker we will find a way to come up. It was just 5k out of our pre-approval range so I am hoping to keep it there for simplicity's sake I think. I have no idea how any of this works. Not even a little bit. Our real estate agent has been patiently working with us fortunately.

I do have a question for y'all about home inspections. I know to get one, and that makes sense. My beloved spouse is a construction engineer, and the family business on my side has been renovations so I certainly want one. My question is on the value of a EIFS inspection. Is it worth it? What are they looking at with it? Like the words make sense for what it does, but I don't know enough about it to know the value of inspecting it exactly. It is a thing that sounds good, and I imagine was probably redone in 2008 given the work done since it was flooded in 05 (Katrina). Generally more inspection is better, but after a certain point it becomes excessive right?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Zavian wrote: »
    So for the past few months my sink garbage disposal wasn’t working. I never really used it so didn’t bother getting a repair quote.

Then tonight, my dishwashing machine overflowed. I finally put on my big boy adulting pants and took a look under the sink. Apparently the dishwasher drains into the disposal unit, causing it to flood from being clogged. I looked online and there’s a red reset button on the bottom of the disposal; clicking it gave it back power with a hum, but still nothing. Then I found out there’s a mini wrench that goes into the bottom of the unit to loosen the blades. After loosening, the garbage disposal works! The sink doesn’t clog anymore! Huzzah!

I was going to call a plumber in the morning, but now I feel all smarty pants handyman now. Of course it was 90% Google and YouTube videos, but still....adulting!

It's the big "in" thing right now for media outlets to shit on Millenials and the like for being inept, but it's the likes of Youtube that lets us learn to do the things our Boomer parents never taught us to do and then laughed at all the kids who don't know how to perform simple repairs.

My dad can do all sorts of home and auto repair and you know what? He was fucking wretched about actually passing on any of it. But thanks to Youtube, I've repaired dishwashers, worked on transmissions, fixed computers, and a million other things my dad stopped teaching us because we refused to put up with his scream-at-you-until-he-takes-over teaching approach.

Nobody should ever feel like learning something off Youtube somehow makes it worth anything less. Skills are skills, and a lot of things are damned complicated to learn these days without a guide.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Did you fix it? Did you learn something in the process? (Did it give you a reason to buy more tools?)

Then your source material doesn't matter.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I did the same thing for my sink disposal. Unfortunately, the problem kept occurring and the unit died. I had to get it replaced, and rather than trusting myself to install the unit properly, I got my plumber to do it. Certain things I just don't trust myself to do, even with online help.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I did the same thing for my sink disposal. Unfortunately, the problem kept occurring and the unit died. I had to get it replaced, and rather than trusting myself to install the unit properly, I got my plumber to do it. Certain things I just don't trust myself to do, even with online help.

My HVAC unit was busted, turns out it needed a new capacitor. They can carry charges apparently, and I never mess with anything electrical if I can help it, so paid an HVAC guy to fix. Some things are out of my league!

• Options

My HVAC unit was busted, turns out it needed a new capacitor. They can carry charges apparently, and I never mess with anything electrical if I can help it, so paid an HVAC guy to fix. Some things are out of my league!

LOL, we had to replace our entire HVAC unit as well. We've also replace the water heater and had a toilet replaced. Home owning is expensive!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Was it a Parkman?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I repaired a TV in a client's home one day, needed to change the power supply. Idiot me didn't hold the power button down to discharge the caps. Grabbed the board and certainly felt my mistake!

I didn't think TVs held that kind of power anymore, but they're I was learning I was very wrong.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Was it a Parkman?

The sink disposal was an Insinkerator.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hey, it's the only Seinfeld joke I remember!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    For anyone who might need to do so in the future, Insinkerators are actually not too difficult to replace. Instructional videos on YouTube are only like 3-5 minutes long, because it isn't really very complicated at all. They've done a great job of ensuring that it's as easy as possible to swap one unit out for a new one.

The unit that was in our kitchen when we moved in last summer died shortly after moving in. We tried a few different possible fixes but I eventually ended up buying a new one from Amazon. It took maybe 40 minutes to swap the old one out and install the new one correctly. That said, it was a 2-person job for my wife and I, and I wouldn't want to tackle it solo. The new unit is more powerful and significantly quieter, so all in all it was a net positive I suppose.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So does this qualify as “I done fucked up”
    3wgn8reuhc84.jpeg

I removed the carpeting in preparation for mounting my safe (it was too wobbly sitting on the carpet), and when I removed the carpet tack, it left two divots in the concrete where the nails came out. They’re about a quarter inch deep, and the left one is two inches from top to bottom. Do I need to seal over these? This is in a bathroom closet.

Also, was going to place a section of thick industrial rubber mat with drainage holes so the safe isn’t sitting on the bare concrete and there’s airflow underneath.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So does this qualify as “I done fucked up”
    3wgn8reuhc84.jpeg

I removed the carpeting in preparation for mounting my safe (it was too wobbly sitting on the carpet), and when I removed the carpet tack, it left two divots in the concrete where the nails came out. They’re about a quarter inch deep, and the left one is two inches from top to bottom. Do I need to seal over these? This is in a bathroom closet.

Also, was going to place a section of thick industrial rubber mat with drainage holes so the safe isn’t sitting on the bare concrete and there’s airflow underneath.

This is pretty common. You can repair this to invulnerability if you get an epoxy concrete patching kit, but that might be overkill.

If you just want to avoid water pooling then get some sand and cement mix, wet down the holes with water and fill so they're slightly proud.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah that is definitely not at "fucked up" level. More like a "damnit!" because you'll need to buy some stuff to fix as said above.

Now if you had made a 1/4" hole in hardwood floor, that might be a fucked up. Cement is easy.

• Options
    Quikcrete to the rescue. All is well.

Sidenote: whoever designed the nozzles for Quikcrete dispensers and my caulk gun can go straight to the hot place

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    In home network maintenance, I just installed a Pi Hole on the network. So nice to not have to deal with ads.

Edit: And just set it up as a proper local DNS server with entries for all my static devices on the network (the router, backbone switch, and Pi-Hole currently.) No more typing in IP addresses to get to device management tools.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, do you guys have any non-electric bidet recommendations? I don't have an outlet near my toilet, so I can't do any of those fun, fancy bidets with seat warmers and blow dryers and whatnot. I also don't really have easy access to my sink water, so bidets with the cold/hot water option from the sink are probably a no-go for me. Just something simple, reliable, works well, and doesn't look like trash would be best, I guess. I've seen Tushy recommended some places, but I figured I'd check in and see if you guys had any thoughts.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

The caps you need are a real pain to get the exact right ones, too. A pro can do it in about 30 minutes and they already have the parts.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    In home network maintenance, I just installed a Pi Hole on the network. So nice to not have to deal with ads.

Edit: And just set it up as a proper local DNS server with entries for all my static devices on the network (the router, backbone switch, and Pi-Hole currently.) No more typing in IP addresses to get to device management tools.

I wish I knew how to do this shit but when I look at guides online they may as well be written in a different language. Mad respect for the tech skilled out there.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I wish I knew how to do this shit but when I look at guides online they may as well be written in a different language. Mad respect for the tech skilled out there.

You're basically just adding a host in the hosts file with stuff like:
    192.168.1.100       ps4
    192.168.1.103       xbox
    192.168.1.101       pc
    192.168.1.50        printer

Then you can just do things like "ping ps4" or whatever you want to do with it. Things that have web interfaces you can just browse out to "http://printer/".

Linux is easier to fuck around with DNS wise than windows.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

192.168.1.100       ps4
    192.168.1.103       xbox
    192.168.1.101       pc

Then you can just do things like "ping ps4" or whatever you want to do with it. Things that have web interfaces you can just browse out to "http://printer/".

It's a bit more than that here - it's creating entries on the Pi Hole (which is a full DNS server) so that any device on the network can use the internal network domain to access static resources.

I'm thinking of doing a basic guide in H&A for this.

• Options
    So, do you guys have any non-electric bidet recommendations? I don't have an outlet near my toilet, so I can't do any of those fun, fancy bidets with seat warmers and blow dryers and whatnot. I also don't really have easy access to my sink water, so bidets with the cold/hot water option from the sink are probably a no-go for me. Just something simple, reliable, works well, and doesn't look like trash would be best, I guess. I've seen Tushy recommended some places, but I figured I'd check in and see if you guys had any thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/RinseWorks-Patented-Certified-Installation-Backflows/dp/B01CF51ZJ2

I have one now and it is magical.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

https://www.amazon.com/RinseWorks-Patented-Certified-Installation-Backflows/dp/B01CF51ZJ2

Currently unavailable. Now the fucking hoarders have gotten to the bidets.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

192.168.1.100       ps4
    192.168.1.103       xbox
    192.168.1.101       pc

It's a bit more than that here - it's creating entries on the Pi Hole (which is a full DNS server) so that any device on the network can use the internal network domain to access static resources.

Ah so it's got a front end for resolv.conf and all that or something? About time something made it easier than one of those really gnarly server managers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Most bidets seem to be out of stock on Amazon, actually. If this is what ushers in the bidet revolution in America, I'm ok with it. It's about time we had clean butts.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I'd pay $1 for that guide.

And I love my PiHole

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Most bidets seem to be out of stock on Amazon, actually. If this is what ushers in the bidet revolution in America, I'm ok with it. It's about time we had clean butts.

It finally got me to actually install the bidet that's been sitting in my bathroom for 6 months or so.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If I'm getting a bidet, I'm not getting a bidet.

I'm buying a fucking Japanese toilet.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    If I'm getting a bidet, I'm not getting a bidet.

I'm buying a fucking Japanese toilet.

That's what I wanted, but I don't have an outlet available. That and they're like $400.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCIOX2Q/

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Don't know if I'd be able to follow it, but would certainly be interested in reading!

Need an excuse to get a new Pi.

• Options
    So, I did an initial setup guide over in H&A. I'll be doing a follow-up on setting up some of the more advanced features (like getting DNS over HTTPS working.)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The cold water in our place can get damned cold in the winter. Like "I don't have to refrigerate this, it's plenty cold enough right from the tap". I'd be scared as hell to use a bidet here, because I don't want that water touching my most vulnerable places.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The cold water in our place can get damned cold in the winter. Like "I don't have to refrigerate this, it's plenty cold enough right from the tap". I'd be scared as hell to use a bidet here, because I don't want that water touching my most vulnerable places.

That's why you get that $400 heated one. Gotta get that warm water on your royal butthole.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's why you get that $400 heated one. Gotta get that warm water on your royal butthole.

I wonder how much it would cost to get an outlet installed next to my toilet :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I wonder how much it would cost to get an outlet installed next to my toilet :|

Is there one on a facing wall? If so, that's actually probably the easiest non-low voltage electrical DIY. I've done that to put an outlet in a closet before.

'course, given it's a bathroom, I'd probably still hire someone just so I don't like...hit a pipe or something.

• Options
    You're a homeowner! Put in your own outlet! :D

This discussion has been closed.