As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just curious, does Apple Arcade require a cell signal? I'm about to travel, and this seems like a great way to entertain myself on the plane if possible.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Might depend on the app, but I just opened and played a few Arcade games in Airplane mode no problem.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just curious, does Apple Arcade require a cell signal? I'm about to travel, and this seems like a great way to entertain myself on the plane if possible.

Nope. Unless a game is multiplayer, you should be able to play it offline.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ok, Card Crawl is pretty good. Scratching the right itch. Will look into the other suggestions later.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! Is silly and fun and not free to play. I have been enjoying it on the metro.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So I have been playing the KOF ALLSTAR game on iOS. It’s good fun for free.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/the-new-king-of-fighters-mobile-game-kicks-a-fair-amoun-1839290130/amp

• Options
    Unfortunately Card Crawl has started to turn on me. The main loop is fine, but there is no variety save the 5 power cards. And trying to unlock stuff is a huge grind. Might have to shelve it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Unfortunately Card Crawl has started to turn on me. The main loop is fine, but there is no variety save the 5 power cards. And trying to unlock stuff is a huge grind. Might have to shelve it.

The unlocks are done by choosing the correct five cards and exploiting their synergies. That was satisfying. Then, yeah, I got bored with it and gave up too. I wish the unlocks at least did something a bit different. I still keep it on my phone for when I really just want solitaire.

Unlocking the archer is a pain because you can't use the ability cards. Without those, each game is predetermined by the order of cards in the deck. And that's a bummer because it defeats the point of playing a video game rather than actual solitaire.

• Options
    At some point I should stop playing Dream Quest, right? Having to learn things the hard way can be rough, but it’s been enjoyable. RNG deaths kind of suck, but they seem few and mostly avoidable. Probably won’t occur as much with experience.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I finally beat DQ after dying a zillion times. Took the Monk with a ton of Action cards, but I got there. Apparently there is still a lot more to do with unlockables and an extra level.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I finally beat DQ after dying a zillion times. Took the Monk with a ton of Action cards, but I got there. Apparently there is still a lot more to do with unlockables and an extra level.

I’m impressed, I think it took me a lot longer to get over that hurdle.

I definitely recommend bumping the difficulty when you feel ready. It’s honestly not much harder - you get more XP so your options open up to account for the increase in difficulty. It adds a new level and a final challenge that you can safely ignore for a while, but eventually becomes a big focus for playstyle.

And if you haven’t yet, focusing on the achievements that unlock starting bonuses is a good place to start. Adjusts the difficulty slightly in your favor. Most other achievements increase the card/class/bonus options available, which keeps the game fresh for a good long while.

I really like Dream Quest!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bastion by Supergiant Games is free for a limited time. You need to enable the in-ap purchase to get the full game which is currently $0

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Every enemy in the third floor in Dream Quest is full of shit. I haven’t won again since my Monk victory. That’s like, 1 win and 100+ losses. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Paste put up their list of the 50 best mobile games of the last decade, and it's great stuff. Names you've probably heard of, lots of names you probably haven't, very few microtransactions in sight. Check it out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I think I burned myself out on Dream Quest after beating it with all the classes. Time for a new game!

Looking for something card, tactic, or RPG, preferably turn-based so I can stop playing as needed.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Solitairica isn't bad. Isn't spectacular, but isn't bad at all. Solitaire based roguelite thing. Literal solitaire, like the card game.

Edit: And I mean, there's always the grandaddy, Civ VI. (If you've an iPad with sufficient grunt.)

dporowski on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I think I burned myself out on Dream Quest after beating it with all the classes. Time for a new game!

Looking for something card, tactic, or RPG, preferably turn-based so I can stop playing as needed.

Have you checked out Spelldrifter yet? Its apple arcade exclusive.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I’m just getting started with it, but I think Void Tyrant may be a solid game.

It’s free to play with a few purchases/single combo purchase to unlock everything - I played a couple of runs, and just decided to throw down the $5 (available now) last night. I’m not sure on the depth of the mechanics just yet, but I’m getting hooked and there’s a solid unlockable perk tree/equipment ladder. Kind of blackjack-like.

I’m finding it a little rough in the later levels, but I’m also just starting to really get a grasp on the mechanics. I’d recommend giving it a try since it’s free - I will say the game is much more pleasant when you’re not getting bugged for ads to double your in-game rewards though, so if you dig the gameplay the upgrade is worth it.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I requested and got one of these for Christmas, and can confirm they are fantastic. Fucking love it. Only downside is the clamp does not have enough girth to accommodate my phone case, so I have to remove it to clamp it in. Still, it is revolutionary for things like Oceanhorn 2.

Now, what I really need are good one hand portrait mode games so I can play stuff on the sly while I'm walking around the office. Personally whenever i see someone holding a phone in landscape at work, I immediately thing "you're just fucking around".

• Options
    Definitely going to vouch for Void Tyrant at this point. It’s not the deepest of these roguelite card games, but it’s got good polish and the mechanics support enough strategy to keep me going.

And the blackjack gameplay is fairly novel - the real strategy is in managing the inherent randomness of your basic card draws with the special cards you always have accessible, and there are a lot of tools for that. The gameplay has smoothed out as I’ve built more familiarity, so what initially seemed overly luck based turned out to be a learning curve.

Really recommend it. If you find it intriguing after a couple of games, I’d say go for the purchase to get rid of the ads and get the associated gameplay boost. They’re not 100% necessary, but it feels like how the game is meant to be played, not like activating easy mode.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover how do you feel about Autochess?

Ive been playing Dota Underlords a lot over the holidays and Im really enjoying it. It feels more like a drafting board game ala 7 wonders or Ascension than a CCG but it scratches an itch for me.

The battles are completely automated so if your kiddo pulls you away you can keep playing. I like it cause I can run to the bathroom or get a drink if I need too, you do your drafting each round and then no input is required for the battling part.

Its playable on mobile and steam, and is currently completely free while in early access (and when we move to season one it will still be free to play with a battle pass system in place) You can log on with your Steam ID. And no knowledge is needed of MOBAs to play (I have never played a MOBA before picking this up)

I would recommend trying it, at least.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »

Ive been playing Dota Underlords a lot over the holidays and Im really enjoying it. It feels more like a drafting board game ala 7 wonders or Ascension than a CCG but it scratches an itch for me.

The battles are completely automated so if your kiddo pulls you away you can keep playing. I like it cause I can run to the bathroom or get a drink if I need too, you do your drafting each round and then no input is required for the battling part.

Its playable on mobile and steam, and is currently completely free while in early access (and when we move to season one it will still be free to play with a battle pass system in place) You can log on with your Steam ID. And no knowledge is needed of MOBAs to play (I have never played a MOBA before picking this up)

I've watched some AutoChess stuff (Dota, LoL, HS) and they appear neat. I do worry about a time commitment though. Like, there's only a small decision phase, but games seem to take like 20 minutes to complete. Not something I'm sure I could do, but I'll give it a look.

I did pick up Void Tyrant based on @OneAngryPossum's suggestion. Just hit the first planet and found a chest. There was a Fortune Spirit which wanted to know if I wanted to buy the full game or watch some ads. It kind of came out of nowhere, since I forgot the game was free. Will play a bit more before deciding to buy it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    If battles are completely automated, is it 20 minutes of just watching?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Cog wrote: »
    If battles are completely automated, is it 20 minutes of just watching?

It's probably about 30/70 play/watch ratio. The battles don't take that much more time than the planning phase. What makes it last long is that each "game" is actually an eight-player match where you're repeatedly paired 1v1, every loss damages the loser's health pool, and you go to last player standing.

That said I don't think it would actually be a great game to play while watching children, as the planning phases are short, can't be paused, and if you miss even one you're in much worse shape for the rest of the match.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bedlam wrote: »

I've watched some AutoChess stuff (Dota, LoL, HS) and they appear neat. I do worry about a time commitment though. Like, there's only a small decision phase, but games seem to take like 20 minutes to complete. Not something I'm sure I could do, but I'll give it a look.

I did pick up Void Tyrant based on @OneAngryPossum's suggestion. Just hit the first planet and found a chest. There was a Fortune Spirit which wanted to know if I wanted to buy the full game or watch some ads. It kind of came out of nowhere, since I forgot the game was free. Will play a bit more before deciding to buy it.

Super glad you’re giving it a shot!

Yeah, the ads made me pretty cautious early on - you offer to double my rewards for cash or time and I get pretty suspicious. I probably played two to three runs before deciding to drop the $5 for the “Spirits” bundle that removes ads when you do the following - double gold from some chests, open bonus card packs, or take the one-time resurrection mid-run. You can choose to just not do those things and avoid the ads, but I’ve enjoyed the game more simply getting rid of the prompts.

I also think the boosts improve the game without breaking it. Gold is very rarely a problem during a run, but between runs you use it to buy unlocks such as classes and passive starting bonuses, the sort of thing I kind of consider fundamental to starting the “real” part of a run-based experience.

The mystery packs can offer some extreme benefits (full life potion, replace all your hand cards with +1, +2, etc. cards that adjust your strike meter/the blackjack type mechanic), but sometimes they don’t suit a character well or clog your hand.

An extra life at half health is immensely useful, but isn’t going to turn around a losing run.

And all these bonuses are available in game without purchase, you just watch ads to receive them. I think the game is very slightly balanced towards taking them, but what you experience without them is largely reflective of the game after the purchase.

I will say that I’ve continued to play the game since I first mentioned it. I worried about the fact that there’s not a great deal of variety to the course of each run, but the game introduced some changes after I completed a successful game that have kept the experience fresh - each class also plays significantly differently, which I didn’t expect.

There are two issues that stick out to me, but not enough to keep me from playing. One, after you’ve played a lot, the animations start to feel really damn slow. If you haven’t already enabled fast animations in the settings menu, I recommend it. It’s still not fast enough for my taste, but it’s better.

Two, while there are many choices in the game, it’s about 50/50 on whether a choice reflects a meaningful decision. Perks sometimes offer two meaningful choices, but just as often you get one clearly meant for a melee character when you’re playing magic. Same thing with gear. I think there’s just enough variety within each class to keep things interesting, but it’s pretty rare that you’re making Slay the Spire style pro/con decisions. More like choosing between two useful upgrades or a useful and irrelevant upgrade.

Definitely already got my $5 worth, and I’ll keep playing. If the core gameplay intrigues you, I can tell you that there’s more complexity than there initially appears to be to keep you going, and I’d recommend the buy just to get rid of the ads. You can do all the unlocks without any money, but it gets the icky FTP muck out of the game.

If the basics just aren’t working, the purchase definitely doesn’t fix that. Complexity grows over time, but the core never really changes.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    @OneAngryPossum, I got to the Pyramid level and got hosed when I drew a 6 while at a 7 causing me to overcharge and take 5 hits. Then it happened again for another 4 hits to end the run.

That aside, the game seems alright and I’ll probably drop the $5 just to stop watching the same damn Solitaire ad over and over again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    @OneAngryPossum, I got to the Pyramid level and got hosed when I drew a 6 while at a 7 causing me to overcharge and take 5 hits. Then it happened again for another 4 hits to end the run.

That aside, the game seems alright and I’ll probably drop the $5 just to stop watching the same damn Solitaire ad over and over again.

I've had both sides of that.

I had that happen in the Pyramid as well, just blasted by a terrible draw.

But I also had the exact opposite in the Pyramid where I had two turns in a row give me a perfect 12 draw that turned taking a hit into giving one, which swung the battle pretty significantly.

As annoying as crappy luck and be, I've definitely felt pretty equal in terms of a getting good luck at times I didn't expect it, so it felt fairly even run after run.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    OneAngryPossum, I got to the Pyramid level and got hosed when I drew a 6 while at a 7 causing me to overcharge and take 5 hits. Then it happened again for another 4 hits to end the run.

Pyramid has been really rough for me in general. I’ve only cleared it with the Priest so far, and that with a pretty strong run before I reached that point.

I’ve found a few ways to manage overcharge risk, but sometimes you just can’t avoid taking the hits. I get cagey when the opponent is at anything above 9 when I’m potentially going to bust - overcharge sets you to 6 and ends the round, so you can actually mitigate damage sometimes by risking an overcharge before the enemy has anything greater than an 8 or too many extra strikes set up, but when they have an 11 or 12 you’re looking at run-ending consequences in the late game.

If possible, I think it’s a great time to abuse your hand cards. You can discard one card for free every round, so I try to cycle through and keep something on hand that can reduce the damage of a really bad draw. I use cards that block strikes, allow you to overcharge once without busting, heal up, or reduce the opponents number before I’ll draw the next dealer card if things look bad.

It sucks when you just can’t land a hit though, as you’re stuck with whatever the dealer cards give you.

That said, I’ve only finished a single run, so that may be terrible advice.

I will say the town upgrade that lets you pass a card (and more, later) to your next character completely changed things for me. You can hand off a critical piece of equipment or special card from a failed run and then somewhat orient your next run around it. I think you can only pass the same card once before you have to find it again the normal way (and you can pass it along again), but I usually have something by the time I die that’s helpful or rare.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I’ve beat the pyramid with the knight. My runs are typically ended when I overdraw so I focus on trying to avoid that.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Ugh, 3 form final boss?! And second form has a 90+ damage attack?

Fine. Maybe I'll get him next run.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The third form is even worse. Bring some elemental damage cards.

• Options
    Just finished a run with as usual a bad gamble resulting in a 6 hit that nuked me. Got a hammer 3 early which was carrying me.
    q0xjussfuvgu.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So this game is fun and also makes me desperately want Slay the Spire on mobile.

• Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Just finished a run with as usual a bad gamble resulting in a 6 hit that nuked me. Got a hammer 3 early which was carrying me.
    q0xjussfuvgu.png

I just edged you out....

kg1egqibjhzc.png

Shield Bash III with a Buckler is insane damage output. Then I picked up the Energy Sword that adds a Strike for every x EP drained. Combine that with the Starting Staff which gives 8 EP per hit, and basically I could line up 10+ attacks for insane damage.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yea shield bash 3 is so good. I even found a heavy shield.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven’t had much luck winning I’m with Priest yet. Gotten to final boss twice and died to the first and second forms. The biggest problems I’ve encountered are:

-Low health. One unlucky 4-5 hit overcharge is death.
    -No attack damage. Winning a card duel against any amount of armor is 1 damage.
    -generating extra strikes is tough. Makes refilling EP a slog, even with staff passives.
    -getting to damage spells takes a while, meaning more chances to overcharge.

While I don’t think it’s impossible to win, it just feels tougher than as a Knight.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I haven’t had much luck winning I’m with Priest yet. Gotten to final boss twice and died to the first and second forms. The biggest problems I’ve encountered are:

-Low health. One unlucky 4-5 hit overcharge is death.
    -No attack damage. Winning a card duel against any amount of armor is 1 damage.
    -generating extra strikes is tough. Makes refilling EP a slog, even with staff passives.
    -getting to damage spells takes a while, meaning more chances to overcharge.

While I don’t think it’s impossible to win, it just feels tougher than as a Knight.

It's been a while since I've played, but if I remember right I don't think you want to be thinking about regular strikes and attack damage with priests. Even in the starter deck they have some ridiculous spell damage combos you can set up and have as your primary method of damage output.

• Options
    The starter deck has 3 damage spells (Fire, Lightning, Ice) which all do decent damage. Problem is cycling to them fast enough, while piling up enough EP to cast them. I've had a few runs where I pile up EP and unload the damage, only to be stuck for a lot of turns in a row to get them back to my hand. Usually a bad draw ends the run in that time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    After 4 losses in a row to the final boss, I finally got him as a Priest. Naturally, I beat him on my first run as a Duelist. Lol.

Hard carries by a weapon that adds strikes for every modifier used in a round. It turns a simple +2 modifier into 2 extra strikes. They pile up quick!

Not sure what to do next, especially having bought everything in town. Guessing I’ll get the last 3 gems and call it good. Doesn’t look like any new content is opening now.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    What good games exist these days in the vein of Hero Academy? i.e. snappy turn based asynchronous.

I'm looking for stuff to stay connected with my gaming group during the current events and was sad to see HA no longer exists as it would have been perfect.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif