As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minneapolis thread 2: we can't use the funny haha subtitle anymore

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I have to assume that at least one Onion writer quits in frustration after every real story like this comes out.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This was sent out to all MN state employees today

(NO I DIDNT TAKE A PIC OF MY SCREEN THAT WOULD BE A HIPAA VIOLATION TECHNICALLY)

1cuaksadv2bz.jpeg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    the ad is apparently for a fake security company in an upcoming film

It's from 2012. Hunted, a cinemax movie.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    They've boarded up Dyckman fearing looters, but also started painting murals on the boards

https://www.facebook.com/1408254622/posts/10224397990723187/?d=null&vh=i

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    I have to assume that at least one Onion writer quits in frustration after every real story like this comes out.

"Alright, I just finished the 'Barr says order to clear Lafayette Park before Trump photo op not related, just happy coincidence' article."

"Yeah, about that..."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Language and phrases, yes. Beyond that is.......*gesticulates wildly at last 100 years*

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bills QB Jake Fromm, come on down, it's your turn to completely fuck up your career by being racist

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really hope this ends up being huge

I want future generations to 1) exist and 2) be able to look back at this as the start of something good

It's really hard for me not to be pessimistic about it, though, I'm so scared we'll look at the past two weeks of incredibly overt police violence (what was the count in that Twitter thread? 261 incidents?) and just...go back to normal

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Maybe its foolish of me but this is probably the first sparks of optimism to pop off in the corner of my psyche in years

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Bills QB Jake Fromm, come on down, it's your turn to completely fuck up your career by being racist

Poor Jake Fromm. You aren’t good enough to be racist. Only the true greats get to be racist and keep playing.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Maybe its foolish of me but this is probably the first sparks of optimism to pop off in the corner of my psyche in years

I just feel like I can so clearly see the path towards neoliberalism taking the day and this movement being stopped short in the name of civility

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Extremely good thread to point people to or quote from when you see jackasses trying to deflect with things like "what about black on black crime."

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I’m both giddy and terrified by the idea that Minneapolis will be disbanding it’s police force. That seems like potentially a huge forward step. However the cops are already rioting and I can’t imagine being told “you don’t work here anymore” is gonna calm things down. If this really happens their response is probably going to be bad.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is... is America gonna learn something? Like, finally, after 400 fucking years?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I’m both giddy and terrified by the idea that Minneapolis will be disbanding it’s police force. That seems like potentially a huge forward step. However the cops are already rioting and I can’t imagine being told “you don’t work here anymore” is gonna calm things down. If this really happens their response is probably going to be bad.

I don’t know. I’m willing to bet if you take the badge away from most cops they’re just cowards.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Cops are bullies and without power bullies can’t bully.

• Options

Poor Jake Fromm. You aren’t good enough to be racist. Only the true greats get to be racist and keep playing.

I bet Drew Brees is sending him the biggest Edible Arrangement he can find

• Options
    It’s in the NFL rulebook

You can’t be racist unless you’ve met the following criteria

20,000 career passing yards
    100 touchdowns
    A rating above 85

Or you’ve won a Super Bowl.

You also have to be white.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there will absolutely be problems with disgruntled former law enforcement but that's definitely not a reason to hesitate to disband the police, if you're not doing it because of fear of retaliation that tells you exactly why they need to have their power removed in the first place.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Maybe you’re right. I hope you are. It’s just that there are also a bunch of them together with a bunch of weapons and if they are fired who is going to tell them to go home?

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Maybe you’re right. I hope you are. It’s just that there are also a bunch of them together with a bunch of weapons and if they are fired who is going to tell them to go home?

Cops don’t want to get in trouble. The only reason they do the things they do is because they can get away with it. Most cops would piss themselves if they had to go to jail for anything.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maybe stop being abusive to your employees if you want to actually do something meaningful, Rockstar. Or put some money up. Or anything.

You won't, because your leadership are horrific sociopaths.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Gustav wrote: »

I just feel like I can so clearly see the path towards neoliberalism taking the day and this movement being stopped short in the name of civility

yup. there is always a huge threat from indifferent people who just want to go back to the world where the news could be ignored.

But in a small mostly white liberal (the painfully exhausting kind) town in arkansas we had a protest. Cops kneeled and a national anthem singalong happened. And no violence or escalation. But it felt like a commercial in every insincere way.

The next day though? The larger pull of the town was "wait, the cops didn't promise shit. The just got on their knees a couple times. Also like other officers seemed to be patrolling the neighborhoods with the larger percentage of the black population if they weren't at the protest. Didn't we just fund the building of a new police station? We should revisit that."

Of course it remains to be seen what happens. But it felt affirming that the a large segment of town didnt eat the shit sandwich offered to them completely.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Cops don’t want to get in trouble. The only reason they do the things they do is because they can get away with it. Most cops would piss themselves if they had to go to jail for anything.

cops tend to get murdered extremely bad in prison

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They're going to remove access to their "cop killer simulator" to honor a man being killed by cops?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    They're going to remove access to their "cop killer simulator" to honor a man being killed by cops?

GTA is the FURTHEST thing from an anarchist or anti-establishment video game. Holy shit it is ironically one of the most Cop Games out there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Seattle's mayor getting similar treatment:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Maybe stop being abusive to your employees if you want to actually do something meaningful, Rockstar. Or put some money up. Or anything.

Did they ever do anything about all the people doing racist shit in RDR online or nah?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Did they ever do anything about all the people doing racist shit in RDR online or nah?

Not that I ever heard.

• Options

why would they do a thing that hurts their financials?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    This here's a post to get rid of the forum tracking bug.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

why would they do a thing that hurts their financials?

I figured I knew the answer, but still had to ask.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Seattle's mayor getting similar treatment:

for context here, Nikkita Oliver is a local lawyer and activist who came in third to Durkan in the last mayoral election

this performance and the past several years of organizing probably mean she's got a great shot in next year's election, and though I'll almost certainly vote for her if she runs, I honestly think the office is beneath her

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Extremely good thread to point people to or quote from when you see jackasses trying to deflect with things like "what about black on black crime."

Big issues with black on black crime is as follows
    [Thick east african accent]
    *law abiding citizens' bad experiences with police means no one calls police to deal with criminal elemente

*law abiding citizens that do call police get cuffed by police, allowing criminal elements to get away.

*law abiding citizens helping discourage criminal element randomly arrested or killed by police, validating criminal elements' lifestyles.
    [/teaa]
    In essence, black on black crime is a thing because police keep fucking things up.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Overall I agree

But I don't think that their position of authority is necessarily the only thing that gives cops their power

White people in a white supremacist state have inherent power, people with firearms have some degree of inherent power, and those two absolutely compound upon one another

It might not be the same power, or power to the same degree, and that will deter some folks

But it certainly won't deter all of them

• Options
    people have a natural tendency to submit to perceived authority, and to be complicit to their orders

This discussion has been closed.