Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got nostalgic for Dark Messiah and boy does it not look like it does in my memory

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The mind is great at imagining the graphics as better than they were, especially when it comes to things like resolution.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I haven't minded the controls much, but I get frustrated with how sluggish and awkwardly Arthur moves in combat. I still have muscle memory from Witcher 3 and keep trying to dodge and roll and he just casually strolls about and dies in a hail of lead.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I played RDR2 online with mouse and keyboard, it took some getting used to but seemed alright. Although I was mostly motivated to use mouse for PVP situations, which you run into a lot on online.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, are we talking about Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks? I fuckin loved that game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I haven't minded the controls much, but I get frustrated with how sluggish and awkwardly Arthur moves in combat. I still have muscle memory from Witcher 3 and keep trying to dodge and roll and he just casually strolls about and dies in a hail of lead.

"I reckon I'll die the way I lived. Moseyin'."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    RDR2 is one of the few games where I don't run everywhere at top speed. I can walk. Or ride slow. Or lead my horse around. It's fine.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I got nostalgic for Dark Messiah and boy does it not look like it does in my memory

I just looked up a plot summary to try to remember what it's actually about aside from all the kicking people into spikes

And I am once again unsure if I have actually played it to completion or just played the demo so much that it feels like I must have

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I just looked up a plot summary to try to remember what it's actually about aside from all the kicking people into spikes

And I am once again unsure if I have actually played it to completion or just played the demo so much that it feels like I must have

?

????

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I reinstalled mass effect 3 because no other game scratches that multiplayer itch and it's exactly as good as I remember

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    The mind is great at imagining the graphics as better than they were, especially when it comes to things like resolution.

yeah we don't remember in pixels, we remember in shapes and colors and facial features and symbols
    we remember what the graphics were trying to evoke more than the actual graphics

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've been amazed at every new "next gen graphics" game. Then two years later it looks like shit.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-beta-store-pc-starts-adding-mod-support-games-includes-design-tweaks

The Xbox app, used for Game Pass, now has mod support for a small amount of games. You have to enable it on an individual game basis, and it has nothing like Steam Workshop or any instructions on installation. Right now, mod support is available for (this may not be a complete list):
    • Into The Breach
    • FTL
    • Mudrunner
    • Riverbond
    • State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
    • DIRT Rally 2.0
    • Mechwarrior 5 (though this has been reported to be deleting save games, so back them up)

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

yeah we don't remember in pixels, we remember in shapes and colors and facial features and symbols
    we remember what the graphics were trying to evoke more than the actual graphics

It's also that your memory of it was not just "this looks amazing" it was "this looks amazing [compared to even older games]". But memory and current perception are now in conflict because that earlier subconscious comparison has been replaced with "[compared to today's games]".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I reinstalled mass effect 3 because no other game scratches that multiplayer itch and it's exactly as good as I remember

Can you still find groups for that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I had a leisurely stroll up a train while shooting some very slow fellows with bad aim, failed to find the button to jump up on top of the next train car, dive-rolled off the train, and then dive-rolled underneath the train trying to get back on.

I believe that is enough rootin' tootin' hellraisin' for one evening, and I will pick this checkpoint up in the morning.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dark Messiah
    got the skull of shadows

thoroughly unsurprised by the 'reveal'

I'm giggling that Sareth can't cast spells without his backpack. And it's amazing that he can't even spend talent points. (it's definitely an FPS. "lose all equipment" is a staple)

Demon form seems not very useful, at least on hardcore. No kick? I mean, turn it into a tail whip or something

really I think they should have added a "demonic heritage" talent tree at this point, to either boost the demon form or to grant bonuses to the other talent trees.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Germanic New Medicine you say

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm really more into classic Scandinavian chiropractic these days.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Heads up mere_immortal, Drez and vegeta_666.

You all have this wishlisted. :)

Thanks @Iolo !

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm now 80 hours into Odyssey, up to level 55, reached Mercenary Rank 1, and still having a whole buttload of fun.

Looking at the map, I probably have about half of it left to clear out.

I'm
    still lookling for Kassandra's mum, my spear is up to level 5, about half the cultists are down, I just did the quests to help Hippokrates, and am almost done helping the pirate Xenia

I've started actively hunting mercenaries who take contracts for my head, not because I'm worried about them or anything.
    I'm just pissed off someone would dare to accept a contract on my head. I'll teach you assholes.

The fake eagle bearer quest was difficult to get to. Just so many profoundly stupid people.
    I wished I could choose a different resolution to it though. The choices they gave me were to either recruit the fake eagle bearer, or kill him to get justice for the villagers who died because of his actions.
    But what I really wanted, was an option that said imma kill you, because you're out here ruining my hard fought reputation, and that will not stand.

Philosophers are profoundly annoying people

Psykoma on
  • Options
    yea, like, Night In the Woods and Minit are $30 just for them normally, reky just came out this week, this bundle is absolutely nuts

• Options
    A playable 2015 development build of Dead Island 2 just leaked a couple hours ago. It's the first we've seen of the game since it was announced 6 years ago.

footage: Since this build is from 2015, it's from the version of the game Yager was working on, before they dropped it to Sumo Digital in 2016, who then dropped it to Dambuster Studios in 2019.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So my kid is playing through Portal. He tried it once before but found the first level with a turret was just too much; not so much the turret itself, more the blood splatters you see after getting shot if you mess up.

A couple of years later he got past that bit and has been doing much better; he was wondering about playing Portal 2 next, so I said "maybe you should try half-life 2 instead if you want more of 'that universe', because I felt like I wanted to take a break from portal-based puzzles when I was done with Portal 1"

Him: 'Well, I'm still enjoying it, and I only have a couple of test chambers left, so I'm pretty close to the end by now."

Me, internally: .......must.......keep.......face.......completely.......immobile.......
    Me, out loud: yeah, I guess so, see how you get on I suppose.

I'm torn between wanting to watch him find out what happens, and knowing that having me hovering over his shoulder will completely give the game away.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That sure looks like a Dead Island game!

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I thought Dead Island had one really good idea, which was the analog melee controls, and that really only stayed fun for about an hour.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Ah, jeez.

I guess I have 743 more games now.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ok after many shenanigans it turns out that dell would take two months to send me the computer I ordered so I cancelled that.

Then found a great local Aussie store that makes premade PCs that my friend vouched for

Then figured, what the hell I’ll splurge. Long story short sometime next week this will be the pc I’m getting, my first gaming pc in 16 years:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler, Gigabyte B450 Aorus M Motherboard, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB graphics card, 16GB Team T-Force Delta RGB 3200MHz memory, 256GB ADATA XPG SX8100 SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive, Cooler Master Silencio S400 Mid Tower Tempered Glass Case

Also got this monitor since my old one is vga (I’m ancient)
    ASUS TUF VG27AQ 27inch, 1440p

So yeah I kind of treated myself and went well beyond what I intended to get, since this all started with my just planning to get a word processor

Very excited and impatient to get it delivered.

So does anyone have any games they recommend? I do all my gaming on Xbox, and I have gamepass ultimate so I’ll have access to everything in that library. I’m mainly looking for PC only games or ps4 ports

I’m so excited to play some total war tho, I haven’t played any since the original Rome when I was a teenager

Also any recommendations for a budget Gaming keyboard and mouse setup? I don’t really need like FPS online competitive precision, just something comfortable and will work well with total war and the like

Prohass on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Can you still find groups for that?

yeah but it's getting harder, sometimes there just won't be anyone playing on whatever difficulty

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm considering just trying to get through the story and then doing a second game where I do all the challenges and stuff. But I know this game is super long so maybe that's a bad idea.

Tried catching a wild horse for the first time earlier but it just ran away. I tried lassoing it like you would in RDR1 but I kept running out of stamina really quickly. Not really sure what the process is in this game.

There was a very specific control change to breaking wild horses in RDR2 compared to RDR that I can't remember now. I think when you get on the horse, you have to also hold Down, not just adjust your balance?

I remember trying to snare a white Arabian and spending literal hours sneaking up on it, trying to calm it down, lassoing it, getting on it, getting thrown almost immediately because I did it RDR style, rinse and repeat.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I am also getting the feeling that I must never have played all the way to the end of Dark Messiah.

I remember my favourite bit being when you get to the area that was the same as the area in the demo and you go "huh, I know this bit, it's just the place from the dem...aaaaargghhhhhh"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I'm considering just trying to get through the story and then doing a second game where I do all the challenges and stuff. But I know this game is super long so maybe that's a bad idea.

Tried catching a wild horse for the first time earlier but it just ran away. I tried lassoing it like you would in RDR1 but I kept running out of stamina really quickly. Not really sure what the process is in this game.

There was a very specific control change to breaking wild horses in RDR2 compared to RDR that I can't remember now. I think when you get on the horse, you have to also hold Down, not just adjust your balance?

I remember trying to snare a white Arabian and spending literal hours sneaking up on it, trying to calm it down, lassoing it, getting on it, getting thrown almost immediately because I did it RDR style, rinse and repeat.

I haven't even got to sit on one yet. I get just close enough to try Calm once and then they run, and lassoing just seems impossible because my stamina tanks and I drop it. It's definitely a lot harder than in 1, or I'm just missing something major.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Oh hey, coinciding with the bundle, the itch.io app finally works for me! Sweet!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2020

also it's SIGGRAPH 2020

and YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

THIS IS MY FETISH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS LIQUID IS BUT I WANT IT IN/ON ME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdMKdRUq_8

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

also it's SIGGRAPH 2020

and YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

THIS IS MY FETISH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS LIQUID IS BUT I WANT IT ON ME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdMKdRUq_8

jatk0x6cemjo.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    also my fetish

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah no there's some rad-looking stuff in that trailer. It's not stuff I will be able to understand on a technical level, but I can and will look at it and go "whoa!"

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.