Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It would be great if someone made a website translating the games.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Might try setting my phone up on a tripod in front of the TV with Google Translate running in camera mode.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Might try setting my phone up on a tripod in front of the TV with Google Translate running in camera mode.

If you reeeally want to go that far, Retroarch has some built in tools now for cloud translation of displayed text.

• Options

If you reeeally want to go that far, Retroarch has some built in tools now for cloud translation of displayed text.

That's kind of amazing. Not a ton of use with an actual mini, but still awesome.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

That's kind of amazing. Not a ton of use with an actual mini, but still awesome.

Well, in theory you could get it to work with a mini system that has Retroarch installed + an OTG + a wifi adapter. Personally, I haven't tried out the feature. It seems neat, but super limited. It'll never replace a good ol' fashioned fan translation hack.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Well, in theory you could get it to work with a mini system that has Retroarch installed + an OTG + a wifi adapter. Personally, I haven't tried out the feature. It seems neat, but super limited. It'll never replace a good ol' fashioned fan translation hack.

Maybe I'll just have to play the official English translated Sega CD version on my laptop, just using a controller from a mini (since the Mega Drive & PCE ones are USB), and hook the laptop up to my TV, but have it out of the way so I can pretend it's on the mini instead.

I might be overthinking this.

• Options
    It has dispatched. In other news, I need to change my underwear.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Maybe I'll just have to play the official English translated Sega CD version on my laptop, just using a controller from a mini (since the Mega Drive & PCE ones are USB), and hook the laptop up to my TV, but have it out of the way so I can pretend it's on the mini instead.

You can just hack your mini and play the SegaCD version on there directly if you want.

• Options
    august wrote: »

You can just hack your mini and play the SegaCD version on there directly if you want.

If I want to get into the weeds of installing Retroarch, right? So far on my minis I've been happy to keep the stock emulators and UIs; the latter in particular are definitely part of the charm, at least of the 16-bit ones. And I'm guessing extra storage would be needed on the Mega Drive Mini to fit a game that size (ironically, not an issue with the PCE Mini, I suspect, since it already has extra storage space to accomodate its various CD-ROM games).

• Options
    august wrote: »

If I want to get into the weeds of installing Retroarch, right? So far on my minis I've been happy to keep the stock emulators and UIs; the latter in particular are definitely part of the charm, at least of the 16-bit ones. And I'm guessing extra storage would be needed on the Mega Drive Mini to fit a game that size (ironically, not an issue with the PCE Mini, I suspect, since it already has extra storage space to accomodate its various CD-ROM games).

I think it may involve using retroarch, but I think every mini has an app to inject new games into the existing stock ui gracefully, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the stock Genesis Mini had enough space for one more CD game, maybe. Someone else who has actually hacked a mini can probably fill in here.

• Options
    Its more an issue of whether the stock genesis-emulating software that M.2 put there has any support for Sega CD... likely not.

• Options
    Its more an issue of whether the stock genesis-emulating software that M.2 put there has any support for Sega CD... likely not.

Yes, but it appears to me that Project Lunar’s modified stock ui can launch games using retroarch cores. It’s not the stock emulator, but you can keep the stock ui and add pretty much whatever you want.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    It has dispatched. In other news, I need to change my underwear.

Also use a paper bag to breathe slowly?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Completed Legend of the Valkyrie. Good lord, you'll need tons of patience with the final boss battle...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    It's here!

As promised, here's an updated family photo, once again on top of the PS4 Pro for size comparison:

4tkyf6ojbsbk.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's here!

As promised, here's an updated family photo, once again on top of the PS4 Pro for size comparison:

4tkyf6ojbsbk.jpg

Note: not quite to scale with one another.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's here!

4tkyf6ojbsbk.jpg

Note: not quite to scale with one another.

Three of them are at least in the same ballpark; the fourth, not even close :lol:

• Options
    It's here!

4tkyf6ojbsbk.jpg

Congratulations!!! Glad you finally got it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    It's here!

4tkyf6ojbsbk.jpg

Congratulations!!! Glad you finally got it.

Thank you! It's been a long old wait.

(Unfortunately it'll have to wait a little longer until I can play on it later today. But it's so nice to finally have it here.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    So far managed about ten minutes of old fave Super Star Soldier, and about the same (though with sound having to be turned off) of Fantasy Zone, plus fired up Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire and just watched the attract sequence for a few minutes (thinking "holy crap this is a thousand-dollar-plus game") because other stuff going on.

It's a lovely, lovely thing. :+1:

Jazz on
  • Options
    Getting a 2nd controller for the Turbografx-16 mini is gonna be a pain huh? I wonder if latest 8bitdo firmware will allow the controllers (other than the turbografx-16 one) to work.

• Options
    Amazon UK is still selling them, but are temporarily out of stock. Allegedly. I mean, it's not surprising since the machine only just made it out over here. And I wish the things weren't another £22 on top of an already pricey console. But they're an incredibly niche product, and numbers are probably limited...

Just in case anyone wants to play Bomberman, like ever... I'm going to kick myself if I don't get one soon, aren't I.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Speaking of controllers, anyone else got a really stiff D-pad on their TG-16/PCE? It's making diagonals rather awkward (which led to a rather embarrassing first go on Super Star Soldier).

Also, I can confirm that the Mega Drive Mini controllers do not work with the PCE, which is unfortunate because that could have been a decent back up plan.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Getting a 2nd controller for the Turbografx-16 mini is gonna be a pain huh? I wonder if latest 8bitdo firmware will allow the controllers (other than the turbografx-16 one) to work.

I can't believe that they are sold out. Went to look for another and the listing says no idea when it is back in stock.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I can't believe that they are sold out. Went to look for another and the listing says no idea when it is back in stock.

Looks like the Turbo Tap is gone too. I can believe they didn't make many of them, but still. Wow.

I wonder if regular old USB hubs might work...

Jazz on
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular

I'm in this situation as well. But Hori makes them so there should be more not that far off, and you know you can go the 8bitdo route.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Looks like the Turbo Tap is gone too. I can believe they didn't make many of them, but still. Wow.

One person in the Discord I'm in says that "Some people apparently have had success with random hubs."

• Options
    edited June 2020

One person in the Discord I'm in says that "Some people apparently have had success with random hubs."

I wish I still had my random hub I used to use for Rock Band on my 360 back in the day. As basic as they came but it worked flawlessly.

The only one I've got kicking around now actually connects to a USB-C port (to turn it into four USB-A ports since my laptop only has two USB-A ports built in), so that's not going to work.

Amazon UK say they should have more controllers in so I've ordered one. Worst case scenario, they refund me and I get an 8BitDo one instead.

- - -

In the meantime, the PCE is bringing all the feels. Playing old favourites I thought would, at best, be confined to an emulator on PC now. Playing stuff I'd never have bought, and enjoying them. Starting up some stuff and wishing I could play it (I've gotta find a way of playing the Sega CD Snatcher in English; it looks and sounds incredible on the PCE). Playing stuff I'd have loved but could never have afforded original copies of, at least with the pile of hardware needed to run them in many cases. Thinking of an old co-worker I've lost touch with (and he'd never be on social media, although I've looked just in case, in vain) who was very much into his old games (he was collecting them before they were retro in many cases) and had those rare originals, Sapphire included. Thinking about how if our old store was still going and if we were still there, how much we would wax lyrical if someone came in and asked about one of these things if we'd had them in (which we would have done our damnedest to do).

Of all the minis, this one is proving the most evocative for me.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Gamesack with its way-behind-schedule review of the TG-16 mini and all its games. See 1:26 for a short rant involving size comparison to the real TG-16.

https://youtu.be/dyZHjUkr21M

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Based on my back-of-a-napkin calculations and my family photo of minis, I'm guessing the TG-16 Mini is approaching the width of a PS4 Pro. Or, indeed, an Xbox One X.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Started Neutopia 2 a couple days ago. I beat the first one a decade ago on Wii Virtual Console. Neutopia is just a flat out Zelda1 copy, but with an insane emphasis on pushing blocks around to find secret passages and opening doors. The sequel is no exception. An NPC in the very beginning even remarks how fun it is to push blocks around. What was with their obsession with this design...

TelMarine on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gamesack with its way-behind-schedule review of the TG-16 mini and all its games. See 1:26 for a short rant involving size comparison to the real TG-16.

There's a lot to like about this, but man, so many baffling decisions. Why is it so big? Why are there so many text-heavy games in Japanese for a western product? Why no Devil's Crush?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's a lot to like about this, but man, so many baffling decisions. Why is it so big? Why are there so many text-heavy games in Japanese for a western product? Why no Devil's Crush?

1) To keep the same scale with the PCE/PCECG Mini which, realistically, couldn't have been made much smaller than it is
    2) To keep the line-up almost exactly the same across all regions, and include games that otherwise would just have to have been left out where no English translation exists on the platform which is often the case
    3) Because someone fucked up. Hopefully fixable through unofficial means soon.

1) and 2) are my best guesses despite agreeing with the bafflement in several cases (especially 1), 3) is objective fact, obviously.

Jazz on
  • Options
    It occurs to me that we need a new thread title :lol:

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Game Gear Micro announced; Jeweler’s loupe sold separately.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And why couldn't Amazon.ca carry it so it wouldn't cost so much to get here?
    It occurs to me that we need a new thread title :lol:

Yeah, been trying to think of one. BigJoeM might have just inspired me, though...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    FYI tg-16 mini controllers and multi tap are in stock on amazon right now. go go go go!

• Options
    FYI tg-16 mini controllers and multi tap are in stock on amazon right now. go go go go!

Thanks for the heads-up! Ordered 2.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I played some TG16 this morning. Tried to play Snatcher, but there is the language barrier.

Good stuff.

• Options

The shipping and import duty to the UK almost doubles the price. Youch.

Amazon UK is showing them as "currently unavailable (we don't know if or when etc etc)". That happened since I ordered one, when it was still "we'll hopefully have more in at some point" or whatever it is they say. In the meantime I preordered an 8BitDo one just to be on the safe side...