As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minneapolis thread 2: we can't use the funny haha subtitle anymore

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I’m just going to say that all the hypothetical talk of California breaking apart/secesseding and maybe Trump deciding to fire a nuke doesn’t help, at all. I live in California and while some are treating this like some morbid thought experiment, others would have to live through this.

All I’m asking is to please stop.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also anyone talking about how coastal states should secede has definitely brought up that list of the states that receive the most federal funding vs the states that provide the most

Because the entire crux of the argument is that the poor states are bad, you see

yeah that attitude is fuckin' gross. it's basically a perfect nutshell example of the Coastal Elitism that conservatives complain about, and they're not really wrong to find it objectionable even if they're also extremely hypocritical

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Harris is like, the pick you'd expect in a sketch about how Biden is as tone deaf as he can possibly be in any given situation

Nationwide protests against the police and he's homing in on a prosecutor for his VP pick. Wild.

• Options
    Also anyone talking about how coastal states should secede has definitely brought up that list of the states that receive the most federal funding vs the states that provide the most

Because the entire crux of the argument is that the poor states are bad, you see

No, it's that the poor states support policies that are actively hostile to the wealthy states because of cultural grievances, leading to unnecessary suffering in the wealthy states. That's a power imbalance that requires the unique system of American governance, and it does not seem like one that can be sustained long-term even at the point of a gun.

Can't be boiled down to poor bad, wealthy good. That's especially true when the current situation leads to widespread unnecessary suffering among the entire nation's poor.

Immigration seems like a key element too. Like some states are considerably more pro-immigration from south of the border, and are culturally due to clash massively with states that have strong anti-immigrant sentiments.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    If any state's gonna secede it'll be Vermont. They've just been biding their time!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    If any state's gonna secede it'll be Vermont. They've just been biding their time!

nah definitely delaware. they've been biden their time

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

yeah that attitude is fuckin' gross. it's basically a perfect nutshell example of the Coastal Elitism that conservatives complain about, and they're not really wrong to find it objectionable even if they're also extremely hypocritical

What's weird is the idea that locking the nation's poor and minorities into perpetual misery due to the old Confederacy and its new white supremacist allies in the Midwest having veto power on any federal policy is so much better.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm biased because I got to hang out with her at an alumni event and she's awesome as fuck, but

Stacey Abrams is, like, right fucking there joe

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    edit- not today satan

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Gustav wrote: »
    You know a lot of folks are trapped in perpetual misery in the south and midwest too

I live in the South and grew up in a trailer park. My entire life has been defined by education, housing, and healthcare costs because my family does not have the money to ease me past those burdens. The idea that this is a conversation between elitists arguing against the defenders of the downtrodden is part of the problem.

A lot of people know the South and Midwest are racist and poorly run. The question is whether that incompetence is weakening the entire system of federal government in the U.S.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    You know a lot of folks are trapped in perpetual misery in the south and midwest too

I live in the South and grew up in a trailer park. My entire life has been defined by education, housing, and healthcare costs because my family does not have the money to ease me past those burdens. The idea that this is a conversation between elitists arguing against the defenders of the downtrodden is part of the problem.

A lot of people know the South and Midwest are racist and poorly run. The question is whether that incompetence is weakening the entire system of federal government in the U.S.

South and Midwest states being poorly run doesn't weaken the federal government, federalism weakens the federal government.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Maybe I'm biased because I got to hang out with her at an alumni event and she's awesome as fuck, but

Stacey Abrams is, like, right fucking there joe

Maybe it's shallow, but Abrams listing Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as one of her favorite novels and supporting Bloomberg are big red flags for me.

• Options
    I don't think it's shallow to be concerned by someone saying Atlas Shrugged is their favourite novel. If nothing else it shows that they have terrible taste

• Options
    Look I won't defend her taste in books but she specifically didn't endorse Bloomberg. And did get endorsed by Bernie fwiw.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    bernie also endorsed biden, his endorsement holds a lot less weight now

• Options
    We all were pretty pro Bernie before that, mind

• Options
    I feel like "has bad taste in fiction and off-handedly defended Bloomberg's use of his own finances" are minor things compared to Amy Klobuchar and Kamala Harris when VP pick is concerned

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The vp pick is kind of moot to me because all the options suck and biden sucks and he will lose

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    We all were pretty pro Bernie before that, mind

You know how the right sees leftists as both weak and ineffectual and dangerous terrorists at the same time?

American liberals see the left as both victims of cults of personality and also as shifty allies who flip on their leaders at the drop of a pin.

The reason for that both is that neither actually wants to discuss what the left believes and why. The truth is, it's the policies. It's always going to be the policies, and when a "leader" stops supporting the policies the left wants for strategic reasons, the left is going to go elsewhere.

That's very inconvenient for coalition building, I admit. But you don't get to be a leftist in America without strongly believing in things, and that's not going to change no matter how the amount of nagging and demonization they get from establishment politicians and their allies.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    The vp pick is kind of moot to me because all the options suck and biden sucks and he will lose

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation!

• Options
    I feel like "has bad taste in fiction and off-handedly defended Bloomberg's use of his own finances" are minor things compared to Amy Klobuchar and Kamala Harris when VP pick is concerned

Atlas Shrugged is a political work, not just a scifi novel.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    It'll probably be because Iron Man wants to put all the superheroes into a government registry.

Jesus has Tony even ever read an X-men comic

• Options

Sure, but that doesn't seem relevant since she actively supports public programs, public spending, and is against privatization of public services.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    offhandedly defending mike bloomberg should absolutely be a deal breaker on account of him being a huge piece of shit

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I bet Pete is really glad he got out of the race when he did given how things have played out.

I give the future a non-zero chance that he tries to promote the fact that he fired the police chief but leaves out the part where the chief was black and trying to root out some of the systemic racism in his department.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The biggest red flag for a biden vp pick would be their willingless to associate with joe biden

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I don’t know he’s old and can’t talk anymore so I think whoever it is, is seriously looking at finishing his hypothetical term

• Options

Sure, but that doesn't seem relevant since she actively supports public programs, public spending, and is against privatization of public services.

Democrats have a bad history of supporting good things out of office, then finding reasons why they no longer support those things when they get into office.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This is not my endorsement of Abrams politics or anything since like most of y’all I’m pretty disillusioned with this whole thing anyway, but she seems like such an obvious establishment dem VP choice for this exact moment that it’s kind of hilarious he hasn’t already picked her and is instead doing this horse race nonsense.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    He'll pick Harris because the only thing he likes more than smelling women's hair is cops

• Options
    He'll pick Harris because the only thing he likes more than smelling women's hair is cops

Biden desperately wants to run a “Law and Order”
    campaign to appeal to Republicans.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Well one of my massive fears was averted

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    See also: Every 90s Dem trying to fight the stigma of being weak on crime

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Well he and his buddy Strom Thurmond are some of the primary architects of civil forfeiture, so yeah.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    bernie also endorsed biden, his endorsement holds a lot less weight now

I mean

who else is he gonna endorse, Trump?

I don't like Biden anymore than the next guy here but I'm not going to blame Bernie for endorsing him and doing what he can to get Trump the fuck out of the Whitehouse.

But if Biden picks -Harris- then we're done for and Bernie should absolutely be calling Joe up and yelling no repeatedly at Biden. (and for all we know he is)

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »

Well one of my massive fears was averted

Won't lie, this is a real nice piece of good news.

With Gorsuch writing the majority opinion is...not something I expected

• Options
    This is all a setup for Joe to pick Megan McCain

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Man, I am sorry I took some that bait and likely touched off veering into non-fascist infighting.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

.... fuck I hate how plausible this is.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

.... fuck I hate how plausible this is.

I would take it over Harris. But I would literally take a giant sentient maggot over her.

This discussion has been closed.