As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Oh come on. This is why we need to get away from launch dates half a year out. They like their "When it's done" line. . apply that to the launch date as well.

Yeah now that printing and shipping physical discs is basically dead, there's no reason (not motivated by desires for preoders or selling fancy CEs) to announce more than a month ahead of time.

It's very, very far from dead when physical copies still make up around 50% of sales for AAA games.

Huh, is it really that high? I figured with every console having digital distribution (and coupled with continual stories of Gamestop and other distributors constantly running out of money because no one buys physical games) it would have gone down to 10-20% at this point.

Aren't most games just startup utilities with a link to download a game anyway?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Physical discs are also just convenient, so you dont have to wait on massive downloads when you randomly decide to pick up a game again. I still prefer physical discs, even as I've mostly gone to digital for books and movies.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oh come on. This is why we need to get away from launch dates half a year out. They like their "When it's done" line. . apply that to the launch date as well.

Yeah now that printing and shipping physical discs is basically dead, there's no reason (not motivated by desires for preoders or selling fancy CEs) to announce more than a month ahead of time.

It's very, very far from dead when physical copies still make up around 50% of sales for AAA games.

Huh, is it really that high? I figured with every console having digital distribution (and coupled with continual stories of Gamestop and other distributors constantly running out of money because no one buys physical games) it would have gone down to 10-20% at this point.

I see that much more with pc games, not so much consoles

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Physical discs are also just convenient, so you dont have to wait on massive downloads when you randomly decide to pick up a game again. I still prefer physical discs, even as I've mostly gone to digital for books and movies.

With games eclipsing 150GB right now, having several physical discs may soon be a real pain in the ass. I hated the Final Fantasy PS1 games because if you misplaced one of the discs or one got scratched, the entire game was lost forever.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They're going to keep delaying cyberpunk until late 2021 and then just be like "look out your windows. Cyberpunk is here!"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The real cyberpunk was the choombas who betrayed us along the way.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

With games eclipsing 150GB right now, having several physical discs may soon be a real pain in the ass. I hated the Final Fantasy PS1 games because if you misplaced one of the discs or one got scratched, the entire game was lost forever.

True of single-disc games too, not really a fault of multi-disc games. Except, perhaps, for people who were really bad at putting discs back where they came from (I had a mate who did this, it drove me up the wall), but that's on them, frankly.

We already have multi-disc games this gen; although, if anything, they're even easier to manage. Once installed you only need the "play disc" to play the entire game. Even some games that used to need disc swaps no longer do in BC (e.g. Mass Effect 2 & 3 on an Xbox One).

Also Blu-rays are a lot harder to scratch than CDs and DVDs, which may as well have been made of Jello in comparison.

• Options

True of single-disc games too, not really a fault of multi-disc games. Except, perhaps, for people who were really bad at putting discs back where they came from (I had a mate who did this, it drove me up the wall), but that's on them, frankly.

We already have multi-disc games this gen; although, if anything, they're even easier to manage. Once installed you only need the "play disc" to play the entire game. Even some games that used to need disc swaps no longer do in BC (e.g. Mass Effect 2 & 3 on an Xbox One).

Also Blu-rays are a lot harder to scratch than CDs and DVDs, which may as well have been made of Jello in comparison.

To the bolded: Why are you attacking me like this

I've gone all digital for a while, but I think it's probably a lot more manageable on PC with the game platforms than on a console (also living in a place with $90 gig fiber internet helps).

It's eventual, but we're not there yet. I think the worldwide internet speed average is 40Mbps, if I remember some internet factoid right.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I hope the new consoles come out first, or at least very close together.

I wouldn’t mind a delay if it means playing it on the Series X, even if the actual series x version isn’t ready.

Max frame rates, faster load times, max dong physics, etc.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I was really looking forward to this September.

On the other, it might allow me to get a better monitor before I actually play it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

meanwhile my pc doesn't even have a cd drive

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I think my PC downloads games faster through steam than a physical disc installs them.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am incredibly fortunate to have that kind of internet access, but yeah 70 gb downloads taking less than 10 minutes is just awesome.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I think my PC downloads games faster through steam than a physical disc installs them.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am incredibly fortunate to have that kind of internet access, but yeah 70 gb downloads taking less than 10 minutes is just awesome.

I think we've found your nemesis, @Santa Claustrophobia...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    More time to upgrade to a ray tracing capable rig I suppose.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    More time to upgrade to a ray tracing capable rig I suppose.

Yeah that’s what I’m telling myself. At least the next gen cards from red and green should be available...hopefully.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I thought Ampere was early 2021. But Nvidia will surely rebadge Turing as Super Duper 20xxs in response to AMD.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I thought Ampere was early 2021. But Nvidia will surely rebadge Turing as Super Duper 20xxs in response to AMD.

So far we're still expecting 2 top end Ampere cards this fall.

It'll be interesting to see if this is to get a PS5/XboxN version out. Both companies seem to be hurting for launch titles and if I remember, CDPR mentioned next gen features for the PC version like ray-tracing. I could see them trying to port those over to a next gen console version along with other bells and whistles.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options

Why do you try to hurt me

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I see that much more with pc games, not so much consoles

it's not the case on Xbox One--the UI will outright tell you your disk read speeds versus your download speeds. And I think PS4 does something similar, it's just been a while since I installed a game.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    More from CDPR:

We are happy to confirm that Cyberpunk 2077 will be backwards compatible with both next-gen consoles! Your PS4 copy of the game will work on PS5 on launch day. Anyone who buys the game on Xbox One will be able to play their copy on Xbox Series X when the console launches too!

A later upgrade to Cyberpunk 2077, taking full advantage of the next-gen hardware, will be available for free.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I was going to say they’d probably give out a free upgrade for next gen because CDPR is one of the very few consumer friendly AAA developers. But then my faith was rewarded before I could type anything.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    While I imagine I will have long finished the game before they make the PS5 version that's still pretty cool.

Plus it means for future DLC chapters I'll be able to use the PS5 version.

Plus plus at least I will get to use the upgraded PS5 power for the PS4 version since I'll definitely be grabbing a PS5 day 1 and that will be out right around this now.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Instead you have to wait for the system to install the game from the disc to the HDD. Which can still take a long ass time *glances at RDR2*

• Options
    Yeah I didn't realize you could even run games from disks, I would of figured the read speed was to slow.

I don't play on console, but my cousin plays a lot of xbox and it always sounded like he needed to install the game to his xbox drive. Sounds like that isn't true though I guess.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It doesn’t run the game from the disc, just installs from it. But for those with bad internet speeds or low data caps, having the majority of the game on disc and only having a smaller part to download helps. However with games like CODMW and RDR2, etc this is mattering less and less.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't realize you could even run games from disks, I would of figured the read speed was to slow.

I don't play on console, but my cousin plays a lot of xbox and it always sounded like he needed to install the game to his xbox drive. Sounds like that isn't true though I guess.

You won't be able to run games from disks in the next gen, they'll have to be installed.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Well, since the first mandatory installations on PS3 (and GTA5 on Xbox 360), you're installing them from DVD first.

Which, for the majority of customers I'd wager, is still faster than downloading and installing them simultaneously (if we're excluding time taken to procure the media). And while some people don't need to worry about monthly bandwidth caps (yo!), there's effectively a nonexistent limit to how much data you can read off optical media you own.
    There are large swaths of America that have shit internet. Not to mention caps on data. The industry can’t go fully digital unless there are fundamental changes to infrastructure and data plans. Not sure about the rest of the world but I’m sure there are limiting factors in other countries as well.

This is an interesting thought. In (urban) Taiwan, it took a while but internet speeds have finally turned around to reach those comparable to Japan and urbanized China. Before that point, digital distribution of games was laughable (it's a reason why despite PC gaming being absolutely massive in Taiwan, Steam never managed to obtain a near-monopoly even before competitors appeared). But in such an urbanized country, physical game retail--along with movies, books, etc.,--is really easy. Last time I was there, corner 7-11s and other convenience stores sold cheap copies of popular games. I need to ask someone if that's still popular.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

You won't be able to run games from disks in the next gen, they'll have to be installed.

You can’t even do this this gen - all games are installed now as well.

• Options
    dang, I remember The Time Before Hard Drives (in consoles), when everything ran off disc.
    (and before that, cartridges!)

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I remember when games released without major bugs and patches were to add in new functionality.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    i remember when I had to use DOS to start games

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I remember when games released without major bugs and patches were to add in new functionality.

Woah now. When was that?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I do, too.

I also remember that AFTER 1985, games released with bugs stayed broken forever

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I used to feel like some kinda movie hacker loading up games in DOS. My friends all thought it was cool too but the reality was they just had more modern Windows and I was living in the past with the grand-moms PCs.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Like I get the notion that "welp back in the day games just WORKED." and I understand it even if it's not entirely true.

But even something like Super Mario Brothers (which probably has less lines of code than most modern game menus) still had the minus world glitch, among dozens of others.

With the way math works, and how complex programming is, glitches are going to happen. It's inevitable. And I, for one, am not pining for the days past where games cost (relatively) twice as much, could be beat in 20 minutes, and stopped being fun in a week.

Edit: Man this sounds confrontational. It's not meant to be, tho, but damn

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I used to feel like some kinda movie hacker loading up games in DOS. My friends all thought it was cool too but the reality was they just had more modern Windows and I was living in the past with the grand-moms PCs.

Real 7331s must assign stuff to HI-Mem in Autoexec.bat and make sure that their Roland MT-32 doesnt have IRQ conflicts with input devices.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Real 7331s must assign stuff to HI-Mem in Autoexec.bat and make sure that their Roland MT-32 doesnt have IRQ conflicts with input devices.

I feel like I’m having a flashback reading this.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Like any of us kibble-munchers could afford Rolands back in the day...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    dang, I remember The Time Before Hard Drives (in consoles), when everything ran off disc.
    (and before that, cartridges!)

I remember when my brother and I had to leave our N64 on overnight, paused, until we could go get a memory card the next day to save our progress in Goldeneye. :rotate:

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Like any of us kibble-munchers could afford Rolands back in the day...

That was in/on my dad's supped-up 486 he blinged out in 89 or 90 that he let me use on weekends. He was the type to go up to his eyeballs in debt to have the latest and greatest. We had a 12-foot C-band satellite dish before I was in kindergarten (I was watching subbed anime on an international NHK transponder before Sci-Fi premiered Lensman and Robot Carnival on US cable), he always had the latest architecture PC, and I was surrounded by an embarrassing horde of riches when it came to audiophile gear growing up.

While I certainly don't spend like he used to, he did show me that if you buy as high quality as you can, you can get years if not decades out of certain types of technology.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.