As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sometimes the best way to know something is to pretty much do something incredibly stupid in a safe environment and see exactly what happens.

Better this than some Jackass wannabe in his backyard.

What distinguishes him from Jackass, exactly?

A first aid kit. :)

Adam Savage put it pretty nicely while on Mythbusters. "The only thing that separates us from pyromaniacs is a piece of ballistic glass".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Sometimes the best way to know something is to pretty much do something incredibly stupid in a safe environment and see exactly what happens.

He's not doing it entirely for entertainment. That's a large part of it, dude studied film in college and he has no formal training in zoology, biology, or general animal handling. He does it to inform and educate people, usually kids, about nature and wildlife. When he did his Schmitd sting pain index series he interviewed the creator, actual entomologist Justin Schmidt, who seemed to generally approve of what Peterson was doing from the perspective of educating the public.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

A first aid kit. :)

Adam Savage put it pretty nicely while on Mythbusters. "The only thing that separates us from pyromaniacs is a piece of ballistic glass".

Which is why my favourite Mythbusters myth was "our ballistic glass is bulletproof".
    Myth busted. It's not bulletproof at all.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Nobeard wrote: »

He's not doing it entirely for entertainment. That's a large part of it, dude studied film in college and he has no formal training in zoology, biology, or general animal handling. He does it to inform and educate people, usually kids, about nature and wildlife. When he did his Schmitd sting pain index series he interviewed the creator, actual entomologist Justin Schmidt, who seemed to generally approve of what Peterson was doing from the perspective of educating the public.

Schmitd basically did the same thing himself, intentionally allowing insects to sting him to rate the level of pain, and then writing a paper about it. So two of a kind there really.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

He takes precautions and weighs the risks before engaging in any activity. Even when he was willingly letting himself be stung by insects he had plans in place for if things went south and he often speaks with experts about things before attempting them. It's also incredibly effective to show viewers things like what their blood looks like on snake venom (no he did let himself be bitten by a snake) as well as physical reactions and feelings that come from stings or bites. People can see something like a snapping turtle and think nothing of it, but when they then see that snapping turtle move like lightning to take a very bloody chunk from someone's thumb on camera then it's clear to see what they're capable of.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

This is basically a lot of science up to the 20th century.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

This is basically a lot of science up to the 20th century.

Which resulted in a lot of dead scientists (see, for example, the "demon core" experiment.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It's worth pointing out that Schmidt actually uses the scale to make arguments about evolution, biology, and ecology. It's not just "oh wow this bug hurts more than this other bug"

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Which resulted in a lot of dead scientists (see, for example, the "demon core" experiment.)

Somehow, I had not heard about the demon core. I kinda wish I had not looked it up now.

So...for people who don't want to watch a guy get bit but want to know about the power of the alligator snapping turtle's jaws, here's what happens when a watermelon comes too close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSurkfqXuI

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Somehow, I had not heard about the demon core. I kinda wish I had not looked it up now.

Radiation does not fuck around, and it has no mercy.

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Idgi

Twitter is so hard to follow

VishNub on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Idgi

Twitter is so hard to follow

Dude is replying to one of the directors of the Lego Movie telling him that his interpretation of the song "everything is awsome" in the Lego Movie is incorrect, another rando then points out this amusing error.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Person A: Trump's speech was a racist mess, but Fox news likened it to theme song from Lego movie.

Person B: Checks out, theme song was about authoritarian regime

Person C: No, it wasn't. Grow up.

Person D: Uh, you know person B wrote the movie, right?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    You know that movie Into The Wild? Where the guy decides to head in to the Alaskan wilderness (ENTIRELY UNPREPARED FOR IT) and dies? Well, people took the wrong message from that (Which is easy to do, as he was romanticized and falsely implied he didn't starve to death from being unprepared, but just ate something poisonous) and have been traveling to the bus he stayed in in the wilderness to test themselves. This has resulted in numerous rescues and even some deaths.

Alaska has finally gotten sick of it.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/alaska-into-the-wild-bus-removed-trnd/index.html
    The abandoned bus on the Stampede Trail in Alaska -- made famous by the book and film "Into the Wild" -- has made its first journey in decades. This time by air.
    Alaska Guardsmen airlifted the bus, also known as the Fairbanks Bus 142 and the "Magic Bus," Thursday afternoon, via helicopter, the Alaska National Guard said.
    The decision to remove the bus in coordination with the Department of Natural Resources was made out of concern for public safety, the guard said in a statement. In its current location, near Healy, Alaska, the bus has drawn people into danger of the Alaska wilderness.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Bad news: a video is posted of a Vice President of the company responsible for services in Yosemite National Park hitting golf balls into a protected meadow from his house in the park.

32paql2uorgy.jpeg
    Good news: he was swiftly fired after park employees collectively shit a brick

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kmph.com/amp/news/local/yosemite-concessionaire-vp-gone-after-4-months-after-golfing-in-protected-meadow

VishNub on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Bad news: the video is posted of a Vice President of the company responsible for services in Yosemite National Park hitting golf balls into a protected meadow from his house in the park.

32paql2uorgy.jpeg

What a colossal shit weasel.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    Bad news: the video is posted of a Vice President of the company responsible for services in Yosemite National Park hitting golf balls into a protected meadow from his house in the park.

32paql2uorgy.jpeg

And apparently the guano doesn't fall far from the bat, as his son is a member of Turning Point USA (the folks who make the College Republicans look reasonable.)

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

32paql2uorgy.jpeg

And apparently the guano doesn't fall far from the bat, as his son is a member of Turning Point USA (the folks who make the College Republicans look reasonable.)

This comparison is unfair to guano, which has useful properties

• Options
    If you train a neural net on the corpus of Peanuts comics, the result is "It's The Uncanny Valley, Charlie Brown", apparently. Along with a large dose of "SANT".

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you train a neural net on the corpus of Peanuts comics, the result is "It's The Uncanny Valley, Charlie Brown", apparently. Along with a large dose of "SANT".

Well sexism was a lot more common then, even in Sunday comics.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Remember this?

Jesus.jpg

A botched restoration of a fresco in Spain. And then there was this:

3444.jpg

Another botched restoration in Spain. The leftmost was the original. The middle was cartoonish failed attempt, which needed a second attempt (on the right) to fix the damage of the 'restoration'.

It just keeps happening:

03-1-2.jpg

They tried to fix it and the second attempt got worse somehow!

The only gone right is that after all this bad press Spain is finally considering maybe doing some regulation on art restoration so they can properly preserve their art history instead of becoming some weird magnet for campy tourism to see crazily failed restorations. People would actually need training to do art restoration, instead of any old furniture cleaner or half-blind great-grandma trying their hand at ruining old artworks.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Jeesh three botched restorations in a couple of years...

Wait...

WHAT DO MEAN THE FIRST ONE HAPPENED EIGHT YEARS AGO!?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MOBt-VgZAA&feature=emb_title
    In 2019, my Chinese business partner and I were asked to work on an aquarium project. For those of you who know me as an AR game designer, - I actually mean real aquariums with real fish and water.

So, I am very excited to show you what we have been secretly working on with our partner Edge Innovations in San Francisco. In fact, I'll be secretly gleeful if some of you will look at this video and get upset because... What you see in the video is not a real dolphin!

We contacted Edge Innovations in the US, the only ones in the world who can make stuff like this happen right now, and asked if they could help us prove to the world that realistic-looking animatronic dolphins, whales, sharks or marine dinosaurs if you like, can be developed and will look so realistic that they can fool the audience.

You are looking at an early prototype and more work will need to be done. We can get the animals to run for 10 hours without charging, with a 10-year lifespan living in saltwater together with live fish!

This video was filmed as part of a client demonstration of what sort of entertainment could be put together for an audience using animatronic dolphins, Belugas, Orcas or even a Great White. Animatronics can work all day long, don't need food and don't mind taking endless selfies with visitors. We believe this approach to themed entertainment represents a humane and sustainable future!

More wierd news, but a company is now making robot dolphins to take the place of animals used in aquariums, and in particular to allow children to experience being in the water with them.
    It's not an autonomous drone, but remotely operated by a controller by the side of the pool (which does mean it can be more interactive) but the movement is pretty amazing. The robot was developed by the same company that did the animatronics for Free Willy.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    I don’t like it

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If this gets us closer to an aquarium with robot goldfish I don't have to clean out or feed, I'm all for it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    *Bladerunner sirens go off*

This is fine...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    *Bladerunner sirens go off*

This is fine...

We'll just need to make orca replicants designed to hunt down other aquatic replicants.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wait wtf

• Options
    I just don't see what the point of this technology even is.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Sea World, basically. Only without keeping intelligent mammals trapped for our amusement and with a few dinosaurs added for flavor.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Also less likely to kill or maim trainers. Probably. Once they get the bugs worked out.

Fry on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Dolphins shows are super popular, but actual dolphins in captivity turn into, at best, neurotic rape machines and at worst, ticking "trainer killed and dismembered in front of 1500 third graders" time bombs.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I really don’t give a shit about robots doing it though

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

I'm having a hard time even understanding your question - what do you mean, what is the point? I can understand if this is a total epiphany for you, but that this has been the moral quandary for zoos for quite some time. especially aquariums. Especially where you take highly intelligent animals from environments where they're used to ranging hundreds or thousands of miles and confine them pools.

• Options

I'm having a hard time even understanding your question - what do you mean, what is the point? I can understand if this is a total epiphany for you, but that this has been the moral quandary for zoos for quite some time. especially aquariums. Especially where you take highly intelligent animals from environments where they're used to ranging hundreds or thousands of miles and confine them pools.

The point of the zoo or the aquarium is that there's an actual animal, that lives and breathes and has some semblance of independence and free will to act as it wishes (within the context of the zoo, admittedly). It's real.

This isn't an animal. It's a robot. It's fundamentally not real.

I agree that intelligent animals should not be kept in captivity. But the solution to that is not to put in robots and act like it's the same thing.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Fry wrote: »
    Also less likely to kill or maim trainers. Probably. Once they get the bugs worked out.
    Sub-west World?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Sub-west World?

Wets World

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

The point of the zoo or the aquarium is that there's an actual animal, that lives and breathes and has some semblance of independence and free will to act as it wishes (within the context of the zoo, admittedly). It's real.

I agree that intelligent animals should not be kept in captivity. But the solution to that is not to put in robots and act like it's the same thing.

I think the educational difference between a living creature and an almost perfect facsimile are essentially nonexistent.

Adding in the increased opportunities for interaction with the facsimiles I think they come out ahead.

The real things can be viewed on screens in their natural habitats.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I think the educational difference between a living creature and an almost perfect facsimile are essentially nonexistent.

Adding in the increased opportunities for interaction with the facsimiles I think they come out ahead.

The real things can be viewed on screens in their natural habitats.

I disagree entirely.

This discussion has been closed.