As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter's Block

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I thought about Finnish Duolingo too but Control taught me that 90% of Finnish is just appending "perkele" to every sentence

sounds like a breezeperkele

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I thought Finnish was drunk Norwegian

Couscous on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    i9Z9X6hl.jpg

Wait, isn't that second one an old pizza hut?

Those were the standard design in the 80s and 90s.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I thought Finnish was drunk Norwegian

Norwegian is drunk Norwegian

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    lmao at the woman telling the court that the Golden State Killer has a tiny dick

• Options
    Pizza Huts had a steeple thingie

• Options
    640px-Pizza_Hut_Athens_OH_USA.JPG

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    My god, Amy, that looks so... incomplete!

It’s super common in middle-class neighborhoods around Dallas. Or the slightly more pricey, “irregular stone façade with ordinary brick sides.”

The bricks are totally a facade as well, almost 0 actual brickwork is used to build anymore

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Riemann, I'm doing some neural network stuff and have just come across a gram matrix calculation using einstein summation notation. Do you know anything about the notation? If I were to say "this is what I think it means," would you be able to tell me whether I was correct or not? Most of the descriptions I've found have been very hard to grok for some reason.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I am so old that I remember Burger Chef. They had these kids meals that had these little pots with seeds in them that you could grow a plant out of.
    https://youtu.be/iSfMPo6KWps

Remember Babbage's?
    https://youtu.be/B_Usk26GjpQ

Krathoon on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Riemann, I'm doing some neural network stuff and have just come across a gram matrix calculation using einstein summation notation. Do you know anything about the notation? If I were to say "this is what I think it means," would you be able to tell me whether I was correct or not? Most of the descriptions I've found have been very hard to grok for some reason.

it's been a super long time and it was never something I learned more than the most basics on but I can take a look

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    translating poetry seems like it would be hard

I remember reading a passage somewhere that a translator described something as 'lost' in english. But a second translator said it wasn't lost as in 'I lost my phone' it was lost as in befouled, obliterated, irretrievably gone, as in paradise lost. Big difference!

also I wish I could remember where I read that.

• Options
    The people who make youtube gardening videos have the best accents

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    speaking of art, i think my brain has accepted the world before was no more and a book, which has been brewing for years, has finally reached the surface of thoughts so as to begin writing it down

i learned a lot from last go so i'm taking my time getting to starting out but i guess i still want to do it

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

I remember reading a passage somewhere that a translator described something as 'lost' in english. But a second translator said it wasn't lost as in 'I lost my phone' it was lost as in befouled, obliterated, irretrievably gone, as in paradise lost. Big difference!

was it a translation of milton

• Options
    Paradise Obliterated

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

hmm I don't think so. I don't think it used paradise lost as an example but that's what it made me think of

• Options
    paradise unsuccessful

• Options

hmm I don't think so. I don't think it used paradise lost as an example but that's what it made me think of

well dang it that was the joke

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    In Soviet Russia, love finds you!
    The key subplot is the drab uniformity of Brezhnev-era public architecture. This setting is explained in a humorous animated prologue, in which architects are overruled by politicians and red tape (director and animator - Vitaliy Peskov). As a result, the identical, functional but unimaginative multistory apartment buildings found their way into every city, town, and suburb across the former Soviet Union. These buildings are completely uniform in every detail including the door key of each apartment.[1]

Following their annual tradition, a group of friends meet at a banya (a traditional public "sauna" bath) in Moscow to celebrate New Year's Eve. The friends all get very drunk toasting the upcoming marriage of the central male character, Zhenya Lukashin (Andrei Myagkov) to Galya (Olga Naumenko). After the bath, one of the friends, Pavlik (Aleksandr Shirvindt), has to catch a plane to Leningrad. Zhenya, on the other hand, is supposed to go home to celebrate New Year's Eve with his fiancée. Both Zhenya and Pavlik pass out. The remaining friends cannot remember which person from their group is supposed to catch the plane -thus they mistakenly send Zhenya on the plane instead of Pavlik.

Zhenya spends the entire flight sleeping on the shoulder of his annoyed seatmate, played by the director himself (Ryazanov) in a brief comedic cameo appearance. The seatmate helps Zhenya get off the plane in Leningrad. Zhenya wakes up in the Leningrad airport, believing he is still in Moscow. He stumbles into a taxi and, still quite drunk, gives the driver his address. It turns out that in Leningrad there is a street with the same name (3rd Builders' street), with a building at his address which looks exactly like Zhenya's. The key fits in the door of the apartment with the same number (as alluded to in the introductory narration, "...building standard apartments with standard locks"). Inside, even the furniture is nearly identical to that of Zhenya's apartment. Zhenya is too drunk to notice any minor differences, and goes to sleep.

Later, the real tenant, Nadya Shevelyova (Barbara Brylska), arrives home to find a strange man sleeping in her bed. To make matters worse, Nadya’s fiancé, Ippolit (Yuri Yakovlev), arrives before Nadya can convince Zhenya to get up and leave. Ippolit becomes furious, refuses to believe Zhenya and Nadya's explanations, and storms out. Zhenya leaves to get back to Moscow but circumstances make him return repeatedly. Nadya wants to get rid of him as soon as possible, but there are no flights to Moscow until the next morning. Additionally, Zhenya tries repeatedly to call Moscow and explain to Galya what has happened. Eventually, he does contact her, but she is furious and hangs up on his call. Ippolit also calls Nadya's apartment and hears Zhenya answer. Although Zhenya is trying to be available to receive potential calls from Galya, Ippolit also refuses to accept the truth of the situation. It seems more and more clear that Zhenya and Nadya are the only two people who understand the night's circumstances.

Thus, Zhenya and Nadya are compelled to spend New Year's Eve together. At first, they continue to treat each other with animosity, but gradually their behaviour softens and the two fall in love. In the morning, they feel that everything that has happened to them was a delusion, and they make the difficult decision to part. With a heavy heart, Zhenya returns to Moscow. Meanwhile, Nadya reconsiders everything and, deciding that she might have let her chance at happiness slip away, takes a plane to Moscow to find Zhenya. She has no difficulty finding him as their addresses are the same.

omg it's Ironiya Sudbui

everyone watches that on New Year's; it's cute

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Paradise left on the nightstand
    Paradise in my other pants
    Fuck, I forgot my Paradise

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

nothing was more useful in college, i think, than a super loose class i took on translation where we read a bunch of different texts on how different poets have translated

the final project was to translate a book

i did lorca's "poet in new york"

i would write out several translations of every line

the google translation, literal dictionary translations, more colloquial and kind of smash them together until i got something that felt close to the original but also like a new translation

sadly i lost most of the notebooks in a move

• Options
    I only know about burger chef from mad men

• Options

that usage is common when I read about archeology. IE: part of this ruin is lost because it was destroyed by deep plowing in the Victorian era etc...

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

dude where's my paradise

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Finnish is its own language group with Hungarian. Different roots than all the Indo-European.

That is a major difference modifier.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

oh! you use einstein summation notation all the time in physics undergrad

10 years ago me writes it natively/is confused when people don't use it and current me maybe knows it

• Options

dude where's my paradise

I ask this every day

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    What completely triggered me was this tweet

The level of ignorance and misinformation necessary to promote this kind of thinking is so profound on so many levels and in so many different fields that you could teach a course on how stupid this tweet is

...also I love apartment buildings that look like that

when I visited berlin the architecture felt very comforting in all the soviet legacy bits, like just cozy to be around

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2020

it's been a super long time and it was never something I learned more than the most basics on but I can take a look

That's ok! I think this is pretty basic, though if you don't know then I will soldier on :P

The initial summation, as used in this tutorial is

bijc, bijd -> bcd

I think that what this boils down to is: take two four dimensional tensors, and produce a three dimensional tensor where the element at index (b, c, d) is equal to the sum of the elementwise products (that is, each (i, j)) for each combination of b, c, and d.

Or specifically, in this case, the tensors are flat on the first dimension (b), and I'm thinking of them as three dimensional tensors where each "slice" containing all the i and j is one matrix. Then what the summation is doing is taking the sum of the elementwise products, for every combination of c and d, and outputting those sums at location (c, d) in what is essentially a two dimensional matrix

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Ugh, that was not nearly as clear as it is in my head.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

dude where's my paradise

I ask this every day

Have you checked the dashboard?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
  • Options

That's ok! I think this is pretty basic, though if you don't know then I will soldier on :P

bijc, bijd -> bcd

I think that what this boils down to is: take two four dimensional tensors, and produce a three dimensional tensor where the element at index (b, c, d) is equal to the sum of the elementwise products (that is, each (i, j)) for each combination of b, c, and d.

Or specifically, in this case, the tensors are flat on the first dimension (b), and I'm thinking of them as three dimensional tensors where each "slice" containing all the i and j is one matrix. Then what the summation is doing is taking the sum of the elementwise products, for every combination of c and d, and outputting those sums at location (c, d) in what is essentially a two dimensional matrix

ok yeah that's over my head. Sorry can't help out

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Goddamn it, the app says Paradise fell out of my purse back at the airport women’s room

• Options

bijc, bijd -> bcd

ok yeah that's over my head. Sorry can't help out

That is ok, thanks for taking a look. I thiiiink I'm getting it right. But maybe not.

I could also just calculate the matrix in another way, not using a function that requires me to learn this notation, but where's the fun in that.

• Options
    The dangers of dating birds

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    One time in St. Louis, the wind blew off the covering of a store sign and an old Venture store sign was underneath. It was a blast from the past.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind trying out a bed that was basically a ball pit but with pillows, but you have to wash all those pillow cases so they don't get moldy.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    They changed the coating on M&Ms at some point. You use to be able to just kind of hold them in your mouth, and the coating would dissolve until there was only the thinnest layer around it holding in the now-liquid chocolate melted by your body heat, then you could mash it against the roof of your mouth with your tongue. Now they just kind of turn to goo.

Remember the tagline “M&Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand”
    Tav wrote: »
    lmao at the woman telling the court that the Golden State Killer has a tiny dick

Of course he does. He’s a cop.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.