As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Some companies actually use Kinect cameras. I overheard the one that I work at does. Not certain for what.

Really it is not a great idea considering they stopped making them

The Xbox One Kinect is still a pretty popular economy-class depth-sensing camera (so long as size doesn't matter--they're pretty robust as far as cameras go).

The original Kinect basically became the de facto depth-sensing 3D camera for educational and workplace use. The technical college I worked at during the time bought almost a dozen on so-called "mobile 3D project stations"...basically a rolling cart with a basic laptop and projector hooked up to the Kinect. They were branded "Microsoft" and not "Xbox 360". They didn't even know it was a video game device (then again, they never heard of the Playstation camera either, and the college never bought a Wii for their library's "Creative Space").

It's hard to picture, but Microsoft made a huge profit off the original Kinect, and probably the new one as well (but not for video games by that time). For every hundred Xbox 360 consoles sold, more than 31 Kinect cameras were sold...mostly unbundled after launch. And that doesn't include all the ones sold to schools and workplaces.

For comparison, for every hundred Playstation 4s sold (consider that more than a hundred million have been sold)....4 to 5 PSVR sets were sold. Including bundles. And that's the most successful non-mobile VR solution.

Microsoft made fucking bank off those things, recouping the development cost and then some. It's just...no one really cares about motion gaming anymore, which is why way more Playstation move controllers were sold for VR controllers than as standalone motion controllers, and the successful revision to the Switch dropped the detachable motion controllers.

Hell, I use my Kinect for voice commands.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Microsoft's mistake was not realizing the Kinect party was over in time, since sales tapered off well before the One came out.

But yeah, Kinect did so well for a while it actually bumped up 360 sales significantly, which is really hard to do mid-generation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Oh I understand. When I say fix, I more am just annoyed that I would have to spend the same amount (given the limited time rate of pc pass) to get the PC pass on one account and the xbox pass (which comes with gold) on another, as opposed to getting Ultimate on one

If you set an Xbox as the 'home' Xbox, anyone using that console can play game pass games on their xbox account, if that helps.

However, you can't both say, play Gears of War 5 at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox). But you can both play different games at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox).

I don't know how the PC game pass interacts, but if you're sharing Game Pass/ Gold across two Xbox consoles, you can play the same game at the same time, even with each other in online mode.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For the companies using older versions of Kinect for business reasons and need to upgrade for some reason or another, they have a new business-use Kinect for them to buy

Making Kinect 2.0 required for the Xbox One was smart, but only if they had the games to back it up. They had absolutely nothing to back it up with, so it became an anchor weighing them down. If they had left the Kinect camera bits as a peripheral but included the microphone array and IR blaster in-box so the good parts of Kinect 2.0--controlling your TV and voice commands--were available with every console at the same price point as the PS4, then they would have done way better--ignoring the utter incompetence of the Xbox Executives at the time causing unforced PR disasters, of course.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Oh I understand. When I say fix, I more am just annoyed that I would have to spend the same amount (given the limited time rate of pc pass) to get the PC pass on one account and the xbox pass (which comes with gold) on another, as opposed to getting Ultimate on one

If you set an Xbox as the 'home' Xbox, anyone using that console can play game pass games on their xbox account, if that helps.

However, you can't both say, play Gears of War 5 at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox). But you can both play different games at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox).

I don't know how the PC game pass interacts, but if you're sharing Game Pass/ Gold across two Xbox consoles, you can play the same game at the same time, even with each other in online mode.

I didn't realize you could share gamepass like that? I have a seperate sub for my 2 consoles so I can play games with my son.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

I didn't realize you could share gamepass like that? I have a seperate sub for my 2 consoles so I can play games with my son.

Yeah, there are (and have always been) some weirdly complex rules regarding sharing things on your "home" console, and that extends to Game Pass.

Classic example: I buy Vambrace: Cold Soul from the Xbox store. It becomes available on my "home" console (and, depending on my settings and if I have space, will probably install on its own).

Except I don't play on my home console, because my account is sitting on my fictional neighbor's Xbox One X. It's his console, but I can still play it, so long as my account stays valid on his console.

And, why the hell not, on my own Xbox One my fictional brother has his account, and he came play Vambrace as well, because he's playing it on the home console of the account who purchased it.

And on top of all that, Vambrace is a Game Pass game anyway.

• Options

It has to do with "home console" setups. If you have Xbox #1 and #2, you get Gamepass and Live for the main account of Xbox #2, then set #1 as the home console of #2's account. Xbox #2 is the home console for #1's account. Then both Xboxes and accounts get access to Live, Gamepass, and whatever digital games either account buys.

The only downside to this setup is it's quite crippled by going offline, you need to keep the console online for whenever you want to play it. And "getting caught" is not a downside, this is a known use case that they've endorsed.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I have my 2 set as eachothers home xbox. We can play any purchased or gwg games among the two but i'd never noticed gamepass working that way. When the sub runs out on the secondary box i'll take another look.

Edit- like specifically, we have rdr2 on disc. When that was on gamepass it wouldn't let me play the game without the disc on box 2. So I assumed gamepass had dif rules.

Mulletude on
  • Options
    Sea of Thieves crossed the 15 million unique players mark this month.

SoT, is, of course, the quintessential Game Pass game, but considering we semi-recently hit the 10 million Game Pass subscriber mark, that leaves 5 million unique players between separate purchases on Xbox (Window 10 and PC) and Steam. Not bad, considering it's not available on any other console.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

Interesting.

I only tried with GoW5 with my son, but I wonder if I missed something like different Xbox logins or something like that. Will have to give it another try.

• Options

Interesting.

I only tried with GoW5 with my son, but I wonder if I missed something like different Xbox logins or something like that. Will have to give it another try.

Gears 5 is tricky in that the singleplayer experience is made for co-op, and it defaults to a lobby structure, so it might be trying to force you into using separate accounts (even though you can play on a guest account...on the same console, anyway).

• Options
    I have my 2 set as eachothers home xbox. We can play any purchased or gwg games among the two but i'd never noticed gamepass working that way. When the sub runs out on the secondary box i'll take another look.

Edit- like specifically, we have rdr2 on disc. When that was on gamepass it wouldn't let me play the game without the disc on box 2. So I assumed gamepass had dif rules.

Yea that has to do with 'home' xbox stuff. Basically you set one console as the 'home' xbox for an account with game pass. Anyone who logs in their xbox profile on that console can now access anything your account has access too, including game pass content.

As for game pass ultimate and how that works with PCs, I am not clear on. I need to play around with it more.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My friend turned me onto a game I had not heard of before and it's pretty god damn awesome: Risk of Rain 2. It's essentially a 3rd-person shooter roguelike that is 1-4 players. The players land on an alien planet and fight through randomly spawned enemies while looking for the transporter to activate, which summons a huge boss that you have to defeat to progress. The kickers are that you have to search the area for upgrade crates that require money to open (money is gained through killing enemies), but if you take too long, the difficulty increases (porting to the next level will increase difficulty, but time will as well).

The graphics are nothing special, but that leaves more for a gameplay that is fast, smooth, and intense AF. Single-player is fun, but MP is freaking amazingly fun, though it does kind of require communication, as there is no map and it's easy to stray from each other. I'm looking forward to playing this with 4 people.
    https://youtu.be/CYHY-VuyWdM

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »

Interesting.

Gears 5 is tricky in that the singleplayer experience is made for co-op, and it defaults to a lobby structure, so it might be trying to force you into using separate accounts (even though you can play on a guest account...on the same console, anyway).

Ok, I think I understood it correctly then. If we were wanting to play a game we don't own that's on gamepass at the same time we'd still need a gamepass sub on both boxes.

Edit-quoted the wrong post

Mulletude on
  • Options

Interesting.

Ok, I think I understood it correctly then. If we were wanting to play a game we don't own that's on gamepass at the same time we'd still need a gamepass sub on both boxes.

In the sense of--"I want to play Master Chief Collection, but don't own it, but I have Game Pass. My son wants to play Master Chief Collection with me, but his Xbox Live Gold account does not have Game Pass, nor does he own it." Then your son is going to have to play on your console, not on another one.

I believe.

There is no "family" model for Game Pass yet. Considering how absurdly good a deal it was and is (and how that's translated into more than ten million subscribers, which could be literally without rival when it comes to a game subscription plan), I can see why Microsoft might consider tweaking it for a family subscription model a bridge further then they're willing to cross. At least presently.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Any game on disc isn't gonna work. Gotta be digital.

Edit: Reading more into what you said, that was a knee jerk reaction. Gamepass should allow you to play however, I've been in online coop in games neither of us purchased.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    We'll just maintain 2 subs, worth it to get to have my own screen when we co-op or just to play multi together.

Curious why gamepass ultimate doesn't have a year long sub? Maybe to give the flexibility to bump up the price later on?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We'll just maintain 2 subs, worth it to get to have my own screen when we co-op or just to play multi together.

Curious why gamepass ultimate doesn't have a year long sub? Maybe to give the flexibility to bump up the price later on?

Microsoft just got rid of the year-long Gold sub, so it might just be a money thing. Longer subs are typically cheaper.

• Options

Microsoft just got rid of the year-long Gold sub, so it might just be a money thing. Longer subs are typically cheaper.

And I was thinking, with xCloud integration and upcoming Series X, they may have a price bump in mind.

They've no doubt lost a decent chunk in sub money with the pretty generous gold to ultimate conversion and the people who smartly stocked up years worth.

• Options

Agreed, I try and post any good deals I see in this thread while they're in effect. That just sometimes means they're only good in, say, Brazil.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Interesting.

In the sense of--"I want to play Master Chief Collection, but don't own it, but I have Game Pass. My son wants to play Master Chief Collection with me, but his Xbox Live Gold account does not have Game Pass, nor does he own it." Then your son is going to have to play on your console, not on another one.

I believe.

There is no "family" model for Game Pass yet. Considering how absurdly good a deal it was and is (and how that's translated into more than ten million subscribers, which could be literally without rival when it comes to a game subscription plan), I can see why Microsoft might consider tweaking it for a family subscription model a bridge further then they're willing to cross. At least presently.

There used to be a family subscription wonder if they'll bring it back

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you don't need two subs, as long as you set your 'home' xbox as your son's and you always play on the other one. My son and I play the same games simultaneously online all the time, and have never run into problems (gamepass or otherwise). I've never even turned on Gold for his account, let alone done gamepass. Lately he's moved more to PC, and is logged into my gamepass account permanently while I still play on xbox with no issues.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It only causes an issue if you are trying to play the same game

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Game Pass for family works, but it's kind of finicky. The owner of the Game Pass subscription has to install the product. Once it's on the system, you can play it so long as it's still available via Game Pass. If any other family account tries to download and then play the game, it'll toss up an error stating that you don't own it.

I'll have to try that out tonight to double-check, but I remember my daughter trying to play something a few weeks ago and ran into this problem. I installed it while on my profile, then she could play it on her profile.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I'm not surprised with this. I used to wait for a massive deal (like $35 for an annual pass) and buy 3 of them to up my subscription to the max. Lately, I haven't seen any deals, and even the 12-month Game Pass Ultimate isn't a deal at all. The only deal now is to buy 3-months at a time. Even 6-month doesn't really save you anything.

As much as this sucks, if you look at what we get on a per-month basis for online gaming, access to other services, and the library, $15/month is small change is totally worth it. Gold will still be about $8.33 a month, which also is nothing considering what you get for it (online gaming + 5 or 6 "free" games a month).

Remember years ago when the 12-month gold went up $10 and everyone freaked? This move isn't surprising and I don't have much of an issue with it.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    It only causes an issue if you are trying to play the same game

Might be case by case for certain games, but as I said I've never run into the issue. I don't remember offhand exactly all the games we were playing together though (definitely Sea of Thieves and GOW5 coop), so probably not too helpful for the discussion overall. I would just recommend people check to make sure they have the home xbox set correctly before pulling the trigger on buying a second subscription.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Huh. Xbox sent me a free copy of the Superhot DLC (?) Or whatever this new thing is

Neat!

• Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    Pretty sure you don't need two subs, as long as you set your 'home' xbox as your son's and you always play on the other one. My son and I play the same games simultaneously online all the time, and have never run into problems (gamepass or otherwise). I've never even turned on Gold for his account, let alone done gamepass. Lately he's moved more to PC, and is logged into my gamepass account permanently while I still play on xbox with no issues.

Well, shit. I'll have to doublecheck everything. Even before gamepass we couldn't play online together with just the home xbox settings as is. Had to have gold for both.

Current setup- his xbox logs in with primary profile that purchases everything, mine with the secondary. My xbox set as his home and vice versa.

Without a gold or ultimate sub can download and play any of the purchased games or gwg claimed games just fine on secondary box. But not online.

Could never see the gamepass games but also never tried installing them under the primary profile and then launching them with the secondary. Hmm

• Options
    Huh. Xbox sent me a free copy of the Superhot DLC (?) Or whatever this new thing is

Neat!

I think they're offering the sequel (?) if you actually bought the first game.

• Options

Neat!

I think they're offering the sequel (?) if you actually bought the first game.

Yep, they're doing it on Steam too

• Options
    I got a copy too, I just neglected to check until now.

• Options

Well, shit. I'll have to doublecheck everything. Even before gamepass we couldn't play online together with just the home xbox settings as is. Had to have gold for both.

Current setup- his xbox logs in with primary profile that purchases everything, mine with the secondary. My xbox set as his home and vice versa.

Without a gold or ultimate sub can download and play any of the purchased games or gwg claimed games just fine on secondary box. But not online.

Could never see the gamepass games but also never tried installing them under the primary profile and then launching them with the secondary. Hmm

That is probably it. You have to install the content with the game pass profile, then if that Xbox is the home xbox for that profile, anyone on that console can use it.

My understanding then is anyone can log into any other profile, launch the game pass game, and play it. If they can play with the actual game pass profile - logged into another xbox - I do not know yet.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I might pop in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I never got around to playing it.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It's a real good time, it's pretty goddamn long, but there's a lot of fun to have there.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Mind Control Delete isn't really a full SUPERHOT sequel, more of a spinoff

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yeah I was reading about it, sounds like a DLC they went a little crazy on that evolved into a new campaign mode with some new mechanics, but it's more of the same. I wonder if they're working on a full sequel in addition or just something else, and this is "sequel."

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone know what thumb-caps would be best to buy for a Rock Candy wired controller? Their thumbsticks are plastic and not concave so my thumbs are slipping off from time to time.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yeah I was reading about it, sounds like a DLC they went a little crazy on that evolved into a new campaign mode with some new mechanics, but it's more of the same. I wonder if they're working on a full sequel in addition or just something else, and this is "sequel."

kinda, yeah.
    They've been working on it in Steam Early Access for almost 4 years, just an update every few months. It got a lot bigger, with multiple playable character classes, new level environments, and way more story stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    So I was going through the list of demos available (link here) and while I think it is awesome that Microsoft is doing this event, I want to know who decided that 2-d sidescrolling games are what the market wants right now. Seriously, like 80%* of the demos seem to be in that category. I guess I'm clearly in a minority :(

I am downloading the Hellpoint demo, as it looks interesting. Will also probably take a look at the Destroy all Humans demo, but that's kind of a known quantity given its a remake. Curious to hear what games you all are looking at (and impressions once you do!).

*OK 80% probably hyperbole, but its definitely a lot!

eMoander on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    So I was going through the list of demos available (link here) and while I think it is awesome that Microsoft is doing this event, I want to know who decided that 2-d sidescrolling games are what the market wants right now. Seriously, like 80%* of the demos seem to be in that category. I guess I'm clearly in a minority :(

I am downloading the Hellpoint demo, as it looks interesting. Will also probably take a look at the Destroy all Humans demo, but that's kind of a known quantity given its a remake. Curious to hear what games you all are looking at (and impressions once you do!).

*OK 80% probably hyperbole, but its definitely a lot!

Ugh, why now with all the demos. I am a little busy with that samurai game on the other console...