As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 5

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    sarukun on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Don't call the fucking cops unless you're expecting somebody to be shot for why you're calling them.

Tip: that somebody might be you, or your dog.

Exactly!

Ask Ryan Whitaker, gunned down in his own home by Arizona bastard cops, responding to a noise complaint of him playing video games

https://www.12news.com/mobile/article/news/crime/family-of-ahwatukee-man-shot-killed-by-phoenix-police-seeking-reform-in-law-enforcement/75-fb934366-8958-45be-929c-c2de2fdd9182

p0jakxdax2wa.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    the most infuriating part of incidents like that is that white people will use it to try and discredit stuff like Black Lives Matter, instead of getting just as mad as Black folks that cops feel entitled to kill whoever they want at their leisure and without consequence

"cops also kill white people" being used to defend cops instead of rise up against them as one just fucking sucks so hard

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Also the argument of the "it's only just a few bad cops!"

A few bad cops who can kill with zero repercussions or consequences. That happen to be in every city in the country.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Don't call the fucking cops unless you're expecting somebody to be shot for why you're calling them.

Tip: that somebody might be you, or your dog.

Exactly!

Ask Ryan Whitaker, gunned down in his own home by Arizona bastard cops, responding to a noise complaint of him playing video games

https://www.12news.com/mobile/article/news/crime/family-of-ahwatukee-man-shot-killed-by-phoenix-police-seeking-reform-in-law-enforcement/75-fb934366-8958-45be-929c-c2de2fdd9182

p0jakxdax2wa.jpeg

Yeah that was the story I was referring t

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Oops sorry Royce I missed your post

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Oops sorry Royce I missed your post

It's OK, I was kind of vague about it.

Like considering the history of no knock warrants in this country, I'm sure we could find a great many armed white homeowners who did not live to see the morning.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

HEMA is cool and all but I wonder if there is a local organised shield wall association

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jesus tapdancing Christ that is a horror show of a story. Though if what happened in Ferguson is any indication, that dude needs to be monitored 24/7 for a long time to make sure the police don't assassinate him.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    oh yeah no, they were for sure planning to lynch the guy

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fuck the police

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

HEMA is cool and all but I wonder if there is a local organised shield wall association

I'm available to offer pointers and shopping/crafting advise. While I did rapier + buckler and main gauche in SCA, I do have plenty of board training as well.

Particular style used there us good for a wall or testudo formation, not as good for personal defense if shit gets real. If you anticipate either breaking from a group or needing to be mobile either a kite shield or other design with a tapered or only partial lower half (roughly mid-thigh to ground) is better. In an urban protest type of situ you want to be able to keep batons or projectiles away from your lead leg, but still be able to move fluidly and not be hampered if the need to address a new quarter (either to present to another imminent threat, or preparing to egress) ASAP comes up.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Fucking horrifying. This is just straight up police state shit.

Reminds me of the ~10 BLM Ferguson activists who "mysteriously" died after the protests there.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-ferguson-activist-deaths-black-lives-matter-20190317-story.html

Time to move in to armed communes I guess!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Then they Fred Hampton you.
    America is essentially at war with its own citizens and that's not, like, unique in the world but I think it's not obvious to a lot of Americans.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You know those incredibly specific shirts that were doing the rounds on Facebook a little while back?

well, teepublic has one for police wives!

https://www.teepublic.com/en-au/t-shirt/11511428-spoiled-wife-of-police-husband-proud-police-t-shir

4moqvdij8yt5.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is that real? And is that a typo?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    that is in fact a shirt that is being sold for money

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    My brain hurts that domestic violence the biggest killer of cops and here we have shirts and other products embracing and promoting the toxic masculinity that will get cops killed which will further entranch the lack of domestic violence response in America, then we'll get more shirts celebrating it and...

Its sharpening Jason's machete and giving it to him.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If it makes you feel any better that shirt was designed by an algorithm, there are a million of them in different permutations and it is amazing

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    My brain hurts that domestic violence the biggest killer of cops and here we have shirts and other products embracing and promoting the toxic masculinity that will get cops killed which will further entranch the lack of domestic violence response in America, then we'll get more shirts celebrating it and...

If you read that shirt as the cop being the one in danger of being murdered, you might wanna take another look

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Numbers, why have you cursed me with this knowledge?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

If you read that shirt as the cop being the one in danger of being murdered, you might wanna take another look

It all flows into the police medis hype eventually. Like a massive whirlpool of shit and steroids, swirling and swirling, never draining.

• Options
    Cops are overwhelmingly the ones committing the domestic violence, I for honest reals have no idea what the hell your angle is here, did you misread a statistic somewhere

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I believe police responding to domestic violence calls are in danger, but I'm not sure if I am muddling something I read here.

• Options
    I thought that may be the case but it doesn't even seem to be the most dangerous thing that they do in a job that, mind you, is not actually particularly dangerous

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    You know those incredibly specific shirts that were doing the rounds on Facebook a little while back?

well, teepublic has one for police wives!

https://www.teepublic.com/en-au/t-shirt/11511428-spoiled-wife-of-police-husband-proud-police-t-shir

4moqvdij8yt5.png

speaking of t-shirts

maybe don't buy anything from teespring (which I am just now noticing is a different site from teepublic)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Get fucked teespring, you'll sell shit like that but not antifa stuff? Bootlicking bastards

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Teespring =/= teepublic

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Teespring will however sell boogaloo shirts so as far as I am concerned the sentiment still stands

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Teespring has multiple shirts up with confederate flags

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If they're not a fascist company, how come they're removing all the anti-fascist t-shirts?

Mystery for the ages.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    If they're not a fascist company, how come they're removing all the anti-fascist t-shirts?

Mystery for the ages.

Because people who don’t give two shits what is true or not will happily re-define their opposition as whatever is convenient, especially if it’s the exact opposite of their opposition’s entire position.

• Options
    Also because they're a fascist company obviously

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I'm available to offer pointers and shopping/crafting advise. While I did rapier + buckler and main gauche in SCA, I do have plenty of board training as well.

Particular style used there us good for a wall or testudo formation, not as good for personal defense if shit gets real. If you anticipate either breaking from a group or needing to be mobile either a kite shield or other design with a tapered or only partial lower half (roughly mid-thigh to ground) is better. In an urban protest type of situ you want to be able to keep batons or projectiles away from your lead leg, but still be able to move fluidly and not be hampered if the need to address a new quarter (either to present to another imminent threat, or preparing to egress) ASAP comes up.

I'm a full time SCA heavy tournament and war fighter, and the above is solid advice from history. Long kite shields are excellent for this kind of tight packed fighting, and for the reasons listed above. BlackDragon knows what they are talking about IMO. However, much of what the medieval groups that get armored up and brawl use in terms of armor and tactics aren't super useful for this kind of action though, given that protesters can't use the weapons that traditionally augment those walls. The threat of force along with good defense is what makes a fighter/shield wall truly scary, and melee force just isn't a good idea, either for legal reasons, PR reasons or for an actual fight. Modern security forces can use lethal firearms if you bring real weapons, so protesters don't.

As a student of military history and an avid re-enactor of it, I've put a lot of time and effort into research and practice into how to make individuals and groups effective in group combat, and have lead decent sized groups personally in that arena. Many of us have had eyes on the current protests and openly discuss what we see, or have gone to them as well. I certainly have. I didn't take my gear. It would only serve as a useless escalation. When choosing your weaponry for any conflict, only sets of tactics and gear that work remain in the long term. Everything else gets beaten and left in the dustbin of history. Until the next innovation happens and relative strengths and weaknesses shift.

The pure shield walls that you have seen groups like the Hong Kong, Ukrainian, and some of the Arab Spring protest groups use, those tactics can be very effective as the above video shows. In general Hong Kong in particular seems to have found a set of tactics and gear that has proven relatively effective against what state forces will use in an open media environment. They've been heavily active on some forms of social media sharing that information and tactics, and much of what I'm seeing stateside from the various protest groups has started to evolve into a similar set of tactics and gear. Whether that's happening through the gauntlet of facing similar types of weapons and tactics from state security forces, or from direct informational sharing is unknown to me at the moment, but they both use umbrellas, eye protection, hearing protection, and full coverage fitted body covering to protect from chemical irritants.

Some thoughts from a member of this board's local organized shield wall association.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Agreed on all of Meeqe's points above.

And to add to the full body covering aspect for irritants, if you plan being exposed for more than seconds, make sure to have at least 2 layers on your core and extremities and you'll want the top layer to be has hydrophobic as you can. This is to prevent particulates and diffused/aerosolized agents from wicking in and causing prolonged irritation or tissue damage.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I
    Love
    Praxis

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I
    Love
    Praxis

Shame about it blowing up and dooming Qo'noS.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.