Options

The Difference Between [Chat]s and Dogs

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Neco wrote: »
    No it is because I literally nail landlordvaders to crosses

Just like Al Capone was nailed for tax evasion, and Jesus was nailed for sedition.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have been looking forward to shawarma leftovers all morning and i'm pleased to report that they reheated deliciously

Thank god

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Boss, maskless, coughing in meetings.

Am I already dead?

Yes.

rip milski

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Hm

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The problem with anti-pandemic measures, individually and socially, is that if they're successful, they will look like they were unnecessary.

So those measures may blunt the infections and deaths, and people like you who dutifully take precautions may unwittingly prevent or deflect major superspread events, and then the people who half-assed it or didn't care will say "See, you were taking it so seriously but it was fine. Loosen up."

I'm infuriated

Just like how people look back on y2k "panic"

I still wonder if some of those systems ever got fixed. Some places just kicked the can down the road because their records only went back to like the 1940s or something. So they just said "anything below XX means 20XX, problem solved!"

Kicking the can 40 years down the road ain't a bad compromise. Especially since unix time hits its own problem well before then.

Got to leave a lucrative problem for the next generation of coders to charge money to fix

Plus we'll get an Office Space reboot

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I died as I lived: posting on the forums during meetings

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Hm

I don't see the problem here.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The problem with anti-pandemic measures, individually and socially, is that if they're successful, they will look like they were unnecessary.

So those measures may blunt the infections and deaths, and people like you who dutifully take precautions may unwittingly prevent or deflect major superspread events, and then the people who half-assed it or didn't care will say "See, you were taking it so seriously but it was fine. Loosen up."

I'm infuriated

I mean there was a panic, but it also brought around the investment, firmware updates and patches required to get most systems compliant, and there were some systems that shit the bed, mostly old hardware that wasn't supported, so the solution was to pitch the old Cisco and get a new one, and corporations bitched about having to do it. A buddy of mine who was an admin for a medium sized corp ran into that where they were very angry he couldn't program a firmware patch for their old modem banks.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Disney must be stopped

You have been docked 50 Magic Points for sadthink. Further deductions will result in The Happiest Enforcement On Earth.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We got all our stuff back now that we're fully moved in. I've been surprised at how much I've been lock picking as the primary hobby since then. I think it comes down to weird quirks of mammalian psychology - success brings a satisfying "click" noise, so it's easily reinforced as positive.

Now to.. get a job or whatever I'm actually supposed to be doing.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I'm infuriated

I still wonder if some of those systems ever got fixed. Some places just kicked the can down the road because their records only went back to like the 1940s or something. So they just said "anything below XX means 20XX, problem solved!"

Kicking the can 40 years down the road ain't a bad compromise. Especially since unix time hits its own problem well before then.

Got to leave a lucrative problem for the next generation of coders to charge money to fix

Plus we'll get an Office Space reboot

We gift this to you future generations. Remember to pay it forward when you code new systems.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Hm

actually I think this might have been the punishment for hexing the moon

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Cold brew: good.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Ok so that inspired me to start looking into the relative cost of monorails relative to trams but my results are swamped with people posting on cities: skylines forums

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Hm

If anything it is a tribute to good knot tying.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Cold brew: good.

omg twinsies

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I purchased a new audio mixer (a Zoom Livetrak L-8, notable for being battery powered and super portable), and it arrived this morning. :D I spent an hour fiddling with settings and knobs on it (when I probably should be working). New toys, yay! I’ll have to run some tests and see how much preamp/headphone noise the thing has, as well as test my microphone collection on it.

EDIT: the coolest feature that I didn’t know before I opened up the package... the AC power option is actually a USB cable (with an AC wall wart)! The thing can run off a 1 Amp portable USB charge bank! That’s so cool!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have agreed to split a quarterly delivery of local beef with a friend of mine, from a really reputable beef farm

She's got too much in her fridge right now and is going to sell me a bunch of what she's got and deliver it to me tomorrow, including a sirloin tip roast and some steaks

I'm pretty excited and my mouth is already watering

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Ok so that inspired me to start looking into the relative cost of monorails relative to trams but my results are swamped with people posting on cities: skylines forums

I hear those things are awful loud

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have agreed to split a quarterly delivery of local beef with a friend of mine, from a really reputable beef farm

She's got too much in her fridge right now and is going to sell me a bunch of what she's got and deliver it to me tomorrow, including a sirloin tip roast and some steaks

I'm pretty excited and my mouth is already watering

Splitting a half of a lamb was the best thing I have done in a while. I have only had one set of chops and one set of steaks so far and its soooooooooooooooooo good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

EM do u support this apostrophe usage, and indeed any apostrophe usage that is neither possessive nor contractive (such as "90's"), or do you agree that it is sinful

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I believe this same farm does a huge half-year delivery for like $1000 with cheese, preserves, meat, grains, and seasonal produce at time of delivery

A huge commitment but you get a lot of high quality local food for a surprisingly good price

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Is there no property tax in Canada?

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    this apartment's windows are beautiful old-fashioned wrought iron, but also they have no screens and I am defenseless against Arch's spies

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    A junior employee gave me a digital gift card for helping him through a difficult technical problem.

I'm going to accept it, graciously, but I'm thinking of a way to tell him thank you but don't do that again (without making him feel bad about it)

I'm his senior and I get paid more. It really isn't necessary for juniors to reward me for helping them.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Any raised rail travel is going to range in the 100 million plus per mile. Any ground based rail is going to range in the 50 million per mile.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Is there no property tax in Canada?

They sure do, and on average they're higher than the US's.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

EM do u support this apostrophe usage, and indeed any apostrophe usage that is neither possessive nor contractive (such as "90's"), or do you agree that it is sinful

90's is definitely awful

I don't like this apostrophe use but it has lots of precedent. It just seems unnecessary, though; the capitalized letters are sufficiently distinct that you could write "OKed" and "OKing"

I do find "OK" instead of "okay" to be disgusting

• Options
    Lesson for this evening: shortcrust pastry with gluten free flour does not work

It doesn't even seem to really cook

You basically end up with what is effectively hot, greasy play dough

• Options
    Oh boy is there ever property tax in Canada

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    A junior employee gave me a digital gift card for helping him through a difficult technical problem.

I'm going to accept it, graciously, but I'm thinking of a way to tell him thank you but don't do that again (without making him feel bad about it)

I'm his senior and I get paid more. It really isn't necessary for juniors to reward me for helping them.

i'm not sure i would even accept it unless it's one of those situations where it would be more of a pain in his ass to take it back

but definitely something along the lines of "i really appreciate the intent here but this isn't something we should do because business ethics reasons" would be appropriate

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

do canadians even know freedom

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Any raised rail travel is going to range in the 100 million plus per mile. Any ground based rail is going to range in the 50 million per mile.

Yeah this seems to be the consensus

The monorail only really becomes sensible if you need high volume and to separate the mass transit from the street

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes but it is carefully portioned out to the citizenry by the state, to prevent any excess or misuse

• Options
    Me to gf, last week: I'm basically 90% vegetarian these days

Me to gf, today: so every three months I'm going to freeze like ten pounds of dead cow in our freezer

• Options
    Although the Edinburgh trams cost £125 million per mile before the last round of cost overruns

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oh my god full power is back

*screams incoherently at cool air coming from vents*

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes but it is carefully portioned out to the citizenry by the state, to prevent any excess or misuse

what if you got a quarter of beef every quarter

• Options

Me to gf, today: so every three months I'm going to freeze like ten pounds of dead cow in our freezer

that's only 3 1/3 pounds a month

easily 10% of a normal meat eating diet right

• Options

The last year I've been 100% vegetarian, with the exception of the meat I've eaten.

This discussion has been closed.