As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is dead. Gamescom August 27th!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I hate that Silent Hill slowly morphed into a dumb gothic Tim Burton version of a haunted town instead of just being a creepy normal ass place.

Shattered Memories ruled because of this but would have been way better if they just dropped enemy encounters altogether.
    The enemies are what caused me to quit the game. So unfun
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    v21vzwbhhqd0.jpg
    oh shut up scruffy you're not burned, you've just got a healthy glow

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Honestly, Nintendo consoles aside, there's rarely a great reason to buy a new console at launch.
    Nintendo hasn't had a really good launch game since Mario 64 tho

I mean Breath of the Wild is good but it was also on the Wii U, and what sort of ruffian doesn't own a Wii U

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Honestly, Nintendo consoles aside, there's rarely a great reason to buy a new console at launch.
    Nintendo hasn't had a really good launch game since Mario 64 tho

I mean Breath of the Wild is good but it was also on the Wii U, and what sort of ruffian doesn't own a Wii U

Wii Sports?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nov is pretty packed with some big 3rd party releases in all fairness. Even the current gen ones are the kinda games that would really benefit from the better hardware so if you were already planning on a new system eventually that can be enough reason there.

Like I'll be getting 2 PS5 games that I am excited for(Valhalla and Spider-Man) and 2 PS4 games that are two of the games I have been most excited for all year and will benefit greatly from the hardware (Cyberpunk and Yakuza 7) which makes it the most exciting line-up of games to play at launch I have EVER had.

yeah, i guess part of the problem here is that i have absolutely zero interest in AC Valhalla and not much more enthusiasm for Cyberpunk

if you're jazzed about those, and if they maybe dont' run so great on ps4/xbo then the argument for a new console makes more sense

Yea and the Valhalla version is an actual PS5(or XSX) version not just the PS4 version running on PS5.

Wasn't the PS4 version of Black Flag essentially the same as the PS3 version but with some extra bells and whistles?

Isn't that what all the PS5 versions of PS4 games will be?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Like there will be a PS5 version of Cyberpunk launching later in 2021. But you can still play the PS4 version of Cyberpunk on PS5 at launch and take advantage of the faster load times and better framerate. The PS5 version will just be prettied up too. This would be the same idea as that, this version of Valhalla is the prettied up version to take advantage of more of the PS5 tech.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Control is coming out with a GOTY edition.

It'll also be the only version that will be upgradable for free for the new consoles.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Control is coming out with a GOTY edition.

It'll also be the only version that will be upgradable for free for the new consoles.

Get fucked 505 Games

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I guess I don't feel entitled to a free upgrade to the game I played and beat last year. It'd be great, sure (if I even buy a next gen console) but I paid my money and I played my game.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    man, i wish i liked control as much as it seems like literally everyone else in the world does

...i realize that i'm starting to kind of sound like a no-fun grumpus in this thread

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I guess I don't feel entitled to a free upgrade to the game I played and beat last year. It'd be great, sure (if I even buy a next gen console) but I paid my money and I played my game.
    I think its them rereleasing the game and making only that version upgradable that I have the problem with.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I imagine the PS4 version will still run way the fuck better on PS5 anyway.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    man, i wish i liked control as much as it seems like literally everyone else in the world does

...i realize that i'm starting to kind of sound like a no-fun grumpus in this thread

that's ok you can sit with me

did i ever tell you the story about how i hate witcher iii? it all started on a tuesday and i

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

that's ok you can sit with me

did i ever tell you the story about how i hate witcher iii? it all started on a tuesday and i

Yes, Witcher 3 is garbage. But you know what else is garbage? The previous two games.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I like the weetcher games

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

control is a really cool game that has extremely mediocre gameplay

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

control is a really cool game that has extremely mediocre gameplay

i agree with the second half of this sentence

• Options
    My Control opinion in a nutshell is that the first 30-60 minutes of it are fuckin' SICK, just, WOW what a good opening

and then it's boring and unremarkable for most of the rest of the game with a few notable exceptions, mostly toward the end (but not the end itself WOW that ending sucks)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    My Control opinion in a nutshell is that the first 30-60 minutes of it are fuckin' SICK, just, WOW what a good opening

and then it's boring and unremarkable for most of the rest of the game with a few notable exceptions, mostly toward the end (but not the end itself WOW that ending sucks)

I thoroughly disagree with... all of this, really. Even down to the punctuation.

Then again, basically everything about Control was laser-targeted towards my brain so I may be an unreliable source of rationality here.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

I thoroughly disagree with... all of this, really. Even down to the punctuation.

Then again, basically everything about Control was laser-targeted towards my brain so I may be an unreliable source of rationality here.

what drives me crazy about Control is that, on paper, it's also laser-targeted towards my brain, but in practice it barely ever actually follows through

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with control (other than the text being too small on a 1080p display. How is this still an issue?) was that the combat got old very, very fast. Either the needed to find a way to punch it up a bit or just have less of it. It totally fucks up the flow of the game when the game decides to spawn in an entire room full of baddies and lock the doors (in a room I've cleared out many, many times before) and I have to slog my way through that fight to get to the fights that actually matter.

I swear, based on the composition and length of one fo those fights, everything actually spawned twice on accident.

• Options
    Control was a fun game that I am happy I played but didn't blow me away. Which is basically what I expected from it.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I loved almost every minute of Control. From the gameplay to the setting and the characters. Fantastic.

The only thing I have against it is that the ending is just kinda there. All the stuff you do right up to the ending is pretty cool, but there isn't really a capstone for the whole thing. You just kinda do some platforming with a few enemies in the way and then it's over.

That being said I haven't gotten around to playing any of the DLC yet, so no idea how all of that is.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Control was absolutely perfect for 'wreck every individual object in this brutalist office building with psychic powers' which is admittedly a bit of a niche genre

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I loved Control, and it was the first game i played with ray tracing, and i was constantly surprised by little moments where i was like holy shit this looks incredible

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I loved Control but the boss fights were awful, just a miserable time to fight, especially due to the lack of checkpoints for said fights.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I wish Control had delivered more on its weirdness but i still enjoyed it

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I might pick up a ps5 at launch, but I'm a weirdo who never got around to getting a ps4, so I'm very curious in their BC compatibility. I know there are lots of later games that have updated ps5 stuff, but I want to make sure I can play the earlier stuff too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I would be fucking shocked if PS5 had any BC

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2020
    I would be fucking shocked if PS5 had any BC

they've said it'll support "the top 100 ps4 games" back in March and then later said they hope to have every game compatible. seems like xbone's early 360 backwards compatibility

ps4 controllers can connect to the ps5 (but only work with ps4 games)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I kind of immediately stopped wanting to play Control when I learned about the ending.

Let me burn the system down.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think you'll probably be safe on the PS4 front.
    Sony wrote:
    A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

Which would probably mean that at least the digital PS2 games available for the PS4 now would also work, but I doubt we'll ever see BC with the PS3. That was a weird one all round.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sony has confirmed that PS4 games will be playable on the PS5, meaning that the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the PS4. This means that you’ll be able to download games that you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store on PS4 and play them on the PS5. You’ll also be able to insert physical PS4 discs into the PS5 and play them on the next-gen console. You won't be able to use physical media on the PS5 Digital Edition because it doesn't have a disc drive, and you can learn more about that through here: PS5 Digital Edition vs PS5: What's the Difference?

Currently, Sony is testing as many PS4 games as it can to ensure they run properly on PS5. After some confusion, Sony has said it expects the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 games will be compatible with PS5 at launch.

System architect Mark Cerny stated that the company has been testing the top 100 most played PS4 games, and "almost" all of them will be working as intended when PS5 arrives. Sony has also assured it has already tested "hundreds of titles" and will be testing "thousands more as we move toward launch".

The short answer is that almost all your PS4 games should work on PS5 from day one.

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-backwards-compatibility-can-you-play-ps4-games-on-playstation-5

ps4 stuff should be fine

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I know they've made all these statements about it, but I'm still a little skeptical until I actually see some game lists, either of compatible or incompatible games.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in this year of years, words are cheap, tangible products can be very different

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Frankly I'm not convinced it will run ps5 games

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I loved Control because I'm a huge sucker who always gets fooled by

ENDING SPOILERS
    Fake credits sequences

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Control ending
    it just kinda... stops, for sure, but I actually appreciate that it doesn't truly have a final boss

I've spoken before about my distaste for most boss fights and I don't think I've ever really liked a final boss, so I much preferred running a big setpiece gauntlet of other enemies

And yeah then it's very much "stick around for the DLC!" but I didn't mind cause I was absolutely doing that anyway

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I own Control and will probably finally end up playing through Control at some point but I really don't like the main character's internal monologue in Control

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I don't mind the ending of control but
    it really needs about 15 seconds of cutscene to just show the results of your actions rather than a smash cut to some time later. Something showing the Hiss going into retreat/being sealed off would have just tied the ending together.

I too thought the combat was ruined by some poor design choices - lack of feedback from hits, too many enemies being able to kill you in a couple of hits when offscreen, combined with checkpointing and long load times made it very frustrating. But when it works, it quite literally sings.

I even deleted the game mid-way through after dieing several times in the same spot to enemies I couldn't see. 24 hours later, I'd re-installed it and I'm glad I did. It just needs an easy mode to be honest.

Stempy on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Remedy just... isn't good at creating boss fights. They're like Rocksteady in that they're masters at creating a setting and an atmosphere and moment-to-moment gameplay but boss fights are just their weakness.

Control does have Remedy's best boss fight, though.
    esseJ. And it's basically a Vergil Fight.
    Go figure.

That said, as much of a pain as Control's boss fights could be, none of them got to the level of crotch-pummeling unfun that the last boss of Quantum Break attained.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Control’s level of raw destructibility is its greatest strength gameplay wise

Because even during the most frustrating combat encounters, I knew if I just got past that, I’d get to go fuck up an office again

It really makes me wish they could get the Max Payne license again, because by god all I ever want to do in a video game is dive through a window in slow motion and just destroy a room with two fistfuls of automatic gunfire

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.