Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So it is done. My adventures with the Lego Millennium Falcon has ended. But has it? I now get the adventure of figuring out how to string up some LEDs in there to light up the engines (I'm going to do it myself) and where to display it.

But first here are the finishing bags to complete the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Bag 13 had you finish up the back of the Falcon. Here you can start to see the beginning of the end. I was so happy to get to this point and see the finish line up ahead.
    Falcon_Step_13.jpg

Bag 14! The front and between the mandibles. So much crazy parts on this one, the entire centerpiece was a huge piece then you put the little wings that are the front of the saucer part. Then carefully (and I mean carefully) attach it to this black Technics frame while not breaking everything else off in the meantime. Yeah it was nerve wracking to get it firmly attached, but I managed to do it!
    Falcon_Step_14.jpg

Bag 15 out of 17!!! WOOO! The final stretch! This one was fun since you got to build the cover above the play area and the two sides of the middle area. What is funny is that long ago some source material called this the area where the escape pods attached (or came from). I discovered that while putting on the far side one (in the photo) I actually put the bottom of that section on backwards! So once again I had to delicately take it off without destroying something and reattach it to the bottom of the Falcon. Yeah that was fun with the weight at this point. The side cover on the top was fun to put on since it was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.
    Falcon_Step_15.jpg

Bag 16. I thought I was going to just do this bag and call it a night yesterday. This bag had you build the cockpit and the tube connecting it to the rest of the Falcon. It was nice to actually get to build something that was not all flat pieces for once! Well, mostly not flat pieces. This bag also had you assemble Force Awakens Han and Rey. I couldn't find Han's gun and Rey's legs for a while so put them aside and found them later when the number of pieces were lowering in the tray I was using to contain the loose pieces. I love LOVE the cockpit since it has some detail in it for once. Well more than the other Falcons I have built, but those were so tiny you can barely fit one minifig in there so I give them that.
    Falcon_Step_16.jpg

Well since the temperature was super insane yesterday (and for the next week as well) we decided to get dinner out to avoid heating up the house more. Plus it was 111 F at the hottest, which also added into that decision. So with that, I was able to finish dinner and get back to work and finish off the Falcon. So Bag 17!!!!!!! I was so jazzed getting to this bag knowing that it was the end. All I had left were the little cover pieces next to the tube connecting the cockpit and oh yeah, radar dishes! The first thing though they have you build the mynock! Man, finding some of those little pieces were a pain! But it is so cute to see it chewing on the power cables.
    Falcon_Step_17.jpg

I decided to wait till today to take more photos and post my last adventure from the build. As much as I am excited to finish such an awesome kit, I am sad to see it done. Especially since I know I went from hating building it to loving and sad to see it done. In a way I'm glad I did not buy the Imperial Star Destroyer since I knew I had no space, but now seeing this Falcon in my house I KNOW I have no space! I'm torn now though, to build a plexiglass case for it and use it as a sort of coffee table, or to wire it up and use it as an evening light of sorts. Either way I know I have a tough road ahead of me to figure all of that out. In the meantime I wanted to share some detail shots of the Millennium Falcon as sort of a farewell to the build.
    This first shot is of the back detail interior area where you can either have it for the scene where Han Solo is about to kiss Leia while C-3P0 interrupts at the precise moment (which I did). Or the scene where Rey is fixing the Falcon once they left Jakku (or where they hide after Han and Chewie capture the Falcon).

Falcon_Detail_01.jpg

Next up is the other interior area where you can have Chewie play dejarik against R2-D2 (if they had R2 in this kit) or Finn accidentally activating it while Han talks to both of them. I decided to have the porgs sit on the seats and play dejarik against BB-8.

Falcon_Detail_02.jpg

I took a shot of the boarding ramp down and the mynock chewing on the power cables from the scene in Empire Strikes Back since they give you the faces with breathing masks for both Han and Leia plus the mynock. I love the breathing mask faces and thought that was a clever addition.

Falcon_Detail_03.jpg

Here is the drop down Ax-108 "Ground Buzzer" blaster cannon (I had to look up the name, for once I didn't know the name of this gun) that is near the boarding ramp.

Falcon_Detail_04.jpg

The famous cockpit of the Millennium Falcon. This is probably the most well known interior cockpit in the entire Star Wars series. Ok, so I can make that up just because it is in nearly all of them. =P As you can see, there is enough room to fit 4 minifigs in there for once, plus the little computer panel details all over it.

Falcon_Detail_05.jpg

Next up is Finn manning one of the two quad guns. To be honest, I never understood this gun placement on the Falcon in A New Hope or even in the newer trilogy. The Tie Fighters were always on their tails and not directly above or below the Falcon, yet it seemingly can target behind the Falcon and display the targeting grids on the screen for the gunner. Well till the Force Awakens where they actually get one stuck in the up position and Rey flips the Falcon so Finn can shoot it like I thought they would be able to (unlike Han and Luke in A New Hope).

Falcon_Detail_06.jpg

A shot of the limited range of the quad guns and the view from the glass where Finn is sitting.

Falcon_Detail_07.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the front mandibles.

Falcon_Detail_08.jpg

A rear photo of the Falcon.

Falcon_Detail_09.jpg

A detailed shot of the bottom of the rear showing the amount of crazy stuff I had to build!

Falcon_Detail_10.jpg

A shot of the landing gear and boarding ramp from below.

Falcon_Detail_11.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of the UCS Millennium Falcon with the reissue of the mainline Falcon, the midi-sized Falcon and the mini Falcon.

Falcon_Detail_12.jpg

Finally a shot of the Millennium Falcon with the First Order TIE/sf space superiority fighter (Special Forces version). I felt that this is a pretty good scale shot of the two.

Falcon_Detail_13.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So the Ocean Exploration Submarine is neat. It has a piece of sea bed with crystals and a glow in the dark Angler Fish that can pop out and scare the deep sea divers. It has coral and crabs on it.

The Submarine is also good. Can fit two people. There is a smaller ROV sub that has a collection box in it and it can dock with the back of the big sub. You have to pretend that the back of the big sub is sealed up when the little sub undocks though. Overall it looks very similar to the submarines in The Abyss.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The tiniest of the sub sets comes with a hammerhead shark. I'm totally getting that.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm really into the submarine sets they've been putting out

My first ever Lego set was the Aquanauts Crystal Explorer Sub and I've been chasing that high ever since

(my second set ever was the Ice-Sat V and really that's the high that will never be duplicated)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I would give anything for Ice Planet to make a return.

jZhyGRbh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Like legit Aquanauts is probably my favorite sets. I had so much fun having big underwater battles between the subs. The bad guy shark sub, Deep Sea Predator, was the first ever set I had a duplicate of, having accidentally gotten two of them at my birthday. But I quickly realized have two was awesome! The Crystal Explorer was of course the hero sub with the smaller crawler and the sub that came with the big base as backups versus the two Predators and the biggest shark one.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought lego agents was kind of the evolution of various lego properties like aquanauts or at least a reimagining.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I thought lego agents was kind of the evolution of various lego properties like aquanauts or at least a reimagining.

That's why I got all the Ultra Agents sets. Felt very much like the old school stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Odd they are giving away the same kit they're selling for $5.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lamborghini-huracan-super-trofeo-evo-30342

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Frankly I'm okay with this. exclusive giveaways suck. I do most of my Lego purchasing locally, so I see all these sets on the website that I want, but can't get because I can't justify the other purchases.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Frankly I'm okay with this. exclusive giveaways suck. I do most of my Lego purchasing locally, so I see all these sets on the website that I want, but can't get because I can't justify the other purchases.

I'm ok with the gift with purchase part oddly enough.

This freebie is actually a bag that you could buy in the store that Lego has kindly made available through their website instead of just having to order from a store like Target and Walmart. I actually bought this one from Walmart before the whole stay-at-home thing started up so am glad others can get their hands on them. I wish there was an easier way to search for them on their site. You used to be able to type in "poly bag" and find them, but now it pulls up a bunch of stuff.

Edit: Ok, so I must have typed it in wrong, you can find it by typing in "polybag". But it does not show all of them since the Lamborghini doesn't show up.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Brickheads Baby Yoda and Mando set I ordered for my wife just showed up. She'll have a pleasant surprise when she gets home from work.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Payday is tomorrow, so I missed my chance to get one of the few Ideas Storybooks that were apparently available this week.

Maybe I’ll get that Creator pirate ship instead...

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I got REAL bored during a meeting today and ended up loading all my Lego Dimensions stuff I never took out of its box before into the game.

This game is so neat. I may try to hunt down some more because the minifigs are so cool.

Little Lego ET is awesome. And it's still super cool to have Slimer team up with Homer Simpson and Ethan Hunt to fight the Joker.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I need some Lego suggestions for a 2.5 year old to build with me. Or is this duplo terrible.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I need some Lego suggestions for a 2.5 year old to build with me. Or is this duplo terrible.

duplo is probably the safest

lego has too many ingestible parts:

• Options
    Duplo is awesome. It is simple, and maybe too simple for your kid, but you won't know till you try!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    They have like intermediate class legos, where they where standard Lego sized, but they used fewer sub assemblies. Like, instead of having the chassis of a car having a dozen pieces, it's all one piece.

Like this x-wing:https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/x-wing-starfighter-trench-run-75235

see317 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm playing Duplo with my 2.5 year old and like... I'm enjoying it more than Lego? When I was a kid, I'd spend hours and hours elbow-deep in Lego, building stuff all the time. As a beaten-down adult, I no longer have the energy or creative drive to build Lego MOCs - but I've got enough juice left in me to make a big dog or whatever out of those chunky Duplo blocks. And feel fulfilled.

My kid likes playing with them, too, I guess.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya there is the 4+ years old sets but be wary they still come with minifig and the tiny parts that go along with them

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    In my experience, 2.5 year olds don't have the strength, finger dexterity, or motor skills for "proper" LEGO.

Duplo is perfect.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My 5 & 7 year olds still love playing with their Duplo on occasion. It's great for building big buildings and cities

We also leave it out in the playroom for kid guests to play with and it never fails to attract attention.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yeah, Duplo has endured as product because it is still v good for the little 'uns.

It also takes up a lot of space and gets grown out of much more than proper Lego whilst being functionally immortal. So what I'm saying is look on your local FB trade or EBay or similar and you can likely get a vast bucket of Duplo for a song if you're willing to pick it up.

Just dunk it in disinfectant first or something.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, Duplo has endured as product because it is still v good for the little 'uns.

It also takes up a lot of space and gets grown out of much more than proper Lego whilst being functionally immortal. So what I'm saying is look on your local FB trade or EBay or similar and you can likely get a vast bucket of Duplo for a song if you're willing to pick it up.

o354uGd.jpg
    yup, megabloks are good for even younger children, since the actual fit of the blocks is much looser than Duplo, so very young children (9 months - 18 months) can take them apart more easily and don't need to press as hard to get them to fit together - but overall the quality of the blocks aren't as good once they start wanting to build larger structures

you can find them super cheap on craigslist/kijiji

Brolo on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Yeah, our kids had mega bloks when they were young and thought they were pretty great. There's limits to what you can build, because they come apart so easily, but the basic idea of putting-blocks-together still applies, and because they're so large you can make bigger structures than you could with lego/duplo:

P2188656.jpg
    P2188670.jpg

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

o354uGd.jpg
    yup, megabloks are good for even younger children, since the actual fit of the blocks is much looser than Duplo, so very young children (9 months - 18 months) can take them apart more easily and don't need to press as hard to get them to fit together - but overall the quality of the blocks aren't as good once they start wanting to build larger structures

you can find them super cheap on craigslist/kijiji

Duplo is better than megablocks because Duplo is lego compatible! You can use Duplo to build the insides of big models, like towers and hills, and then cover the outside in regular blocks. My older son (6) just got the hang of that, and its a real plus because it means all the models he makes are much tougher and can be as big as he wants.

I found with megablocks that while it was better for the very earliest phases of learning to stack blocks, its flimsiness pretty soon led to more frustration than it prevented.

Duplo is great though, blocks have the nice sturdy lego feel, minifigs are nice. Lego makes tons of great sets, AND, they are big enough to become bath building toys once people are really done with them out in the playroom.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    Mega bloks are generally duplo compatible as well, you can use them on top of duplos, they share the same size footprint.

• Options
    I swear I remember when I was young, there was like a series in between Duplo and Lego that worked as a converter so you could combine Lego and Duplo?

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    I swear I remember when I was young, there was like a series in between Duplo and Lego that worked as a converter so you could combine Lego and Duplo?

Any of the 2x4 lego blocks work to convert, pretty universally on the top, and somewhat looser on the bottom.

• Options
    Ard wrote: »

Any of the 2x4 lego blocks work to convert, pretty universally on the top, and somewhat looser on the bottom.

That could be it, it's been a while since using Duplo heh. (Pretty sure multiple brick colors that are common now didn't exist when I last used duplo heh)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Awesome guys thank you. Will get some duplo and megablocks see what happens.

EDIT: And found three boxes of 120 megablocks pieces each for 10 bucks on Craigslist!

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    If they happen to be sticky and gross, we've washed used duplos in the dishwasher in the little baskets for bottle parts and so on and it works pretty well.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    If they happen to be sticky and gross, we've washed used duplos in the dishwasher in the little baskets for bottle parts and so on and it works pretty well.

Any tips on a bleach solution? I don't think we have any of those baskets that would hold all these blocks.

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    My mother (kindergarten teacher) would wash Duplos and Megablocks in our washing machine on the gentle cycle by putting them in a big pillow case and using a zip tie or knot to close it up. I don’t remember if she just used regular detergent or a little bleach, too.

They hold a lot of water in nooks and crannies so spread them out on a towel to let them dry for a while.

• Options
    Q-tips can also be handy for drying weirdly shaped pieces/questionable nooks

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Ok Lego thread I have a puzzle for you all maybe?!

A while back I bought a tub of used lego (been snatching cheap bulk when able towards a mega moc)

Finally got around to digging thru and sorting it a bit and at the bottom were some still bagged pieces.

Unnumbered but official looking bags , and one tiny piece bag matching a slightly bigger large piece bag. I think they might be full small box sets. But which sets.

Star Wars and Friends based on minifig in one and the colors of the other to help narrow down
    (Have pics coming phone being a jerk)
    edit:viif83v2pobi.jpg
    cwxuetz7czso.jpg

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I think that top picture might be from the Lego Movie Cloud Cuckoo Land set. Colors match and you can see a Unikitty tail in the bottom bag.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I think that top picture might be from the Lego Movie Cloud Cuckoo Land set. Colors match and you can see a Unikitty tail in the bottom bag.

Ahh I forgot about Lego movie using a lot of those colors. Was scouring the friends sets

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Ahh I forgot about Lego movie using a lot of those colors. Was scouring the friends sets

Upon further review the top bag is definitely not from CCL as the aqua 4x6 is not from that set and it looks like maybe there's a Friends hat in there. But the bottom bag might still be.

E:Based on the helmet and the green studs in the bags in the second pic I'm gonna say that's probably the First Order Snowspeeder set

I Zimbra on
This discussion has been closed.