As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Well yeah, New Dawn was padded to hell and back.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    It was just enabling another means of potential monetization. Hopefully Breakpoints poor reception scared ubiaoft away for now.

I mean maybe it was an experiment on the formula, if I'm feeling charitable. but with micro transactions at play? Hmm. Doubtful.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Playing new dawn, and good god this series really enjoys sidelining any earnest or grounded characters and stories and just going for generic dumb shit. I swear if there is like one nonsense hur hur explosions dicks are funny hur hur mission in far cry 6 it will be one too many

At this point as well I just want Hurk and his stupid unfun and unfunny bullshit to just be hit by a comet

Is it too much just to have a genuine, earnest well told story with characters that actually feel like human beings and have that take center stage and not be padded out with unfunny garbage missions that completely ruin any sense of immersion. Why build these enormously detailed worlds and then populate them with the same group of nonsense boring missions and time wasting joke characters.

I just don’t get the impulse. Aren’t they bored of making this shit?

Prohass on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I didn't know that Hurk first appeared in Far Cry 3. Him being terrible makes sense now.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    But they're non political gaaaaames :rotate:

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Probably the biggest misstep in the entire franchise.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah because if there is a team of developers out there I know can pull off a nuanced political story it is definitely Ubisoft.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Yeah because if there is a team of developers out there I know can pull off a nuanced political story it is definitely Ubisoft.

Remember a game set in the nations capitol after an apocalyptic virus that has the player character fighting against fascist elements of the former government is not political.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    All art is inherently political. Arguing that your game isn't is self-delusional or a lie.

Far Cry 3 argues that a situation can make a monster, but it's the person's choice whether or not to remain one. "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." etc

Far Cry 4 is about rebellions gone wrong and the cycle of tyranny. It also points out that all of your actions are optional and that yes, peace is in fact an option, but maybe now we can shoot some goddamn guns.

Far Cry 5 is about how ceding ground to extremists just causes the extremists to escalate WAIT HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE CONDEMNING THE RED HATS ABORT ABORT PULL A "BOTH SIDES" SOMEHOW oh, I mean, if you leave the extremists alone they'll... go away?... maybe?... except we don't give you that as an option sooooo it's not really about anything BUT HEY CHECK OUT THIS EXPANSION PACK "NEW DAWN"

jdarksun on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Watch Dogs Legion used the First They Came For poem in its cinematic trailer.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I hated watch dogs so much that if someone told me playing the second game would give me immortality I would rather die. It is my most hated game of all time.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »
    All art is inherently political. Arguing that your game isn't is self-delusional or a lie.

Far Cry 3 argues that a situation can make a monster, but it's the person's choice whether or not to remain one. "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster..." etc

Far Cry 4 is about rebellions gone wrong and the cycle of tyranny. It also points out that all of your actions are optional and that yes, peace is in fact an option, but maybe now we can shoot some goddamn guns.

Far Cry 5 is about how ceding ground to extremists just causes the extremists to escalate WAIT HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE CONDEMNING THE RED HATS ABORT ABORT PULL A "BOTH SIDES" SOMEHOW oh, I mean, if you leave the extremists alone they'll... go away?... maybe?... except we don't give you that as an option sooooo it's not really about anything BUT HEY CHECK OUT THIS EXPANSION PACK "NEW DAWN"

Farcry 5: nothing you do matters in the end anyway because the bad guy will win regardless
    Farcry New Dawn: On a long enough timescale even the bad guy’s crap ultimately didn’t matter very much

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I don’t even mind that shit, it’s mainly the fact that all the games have a habit of Introducing a bunch of serious and potentially interesting characters and stories and then they saddle you with joke characters and nonsense missions for like 60% of the game. Every time. It’s just gotten so goddamn old and it feels so lazy

Prohass on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Picked up New Dawn since it was $10 and I was in the mood for the Farcry gameplay loop again.

It's a very pretty game and doing the bunker/caches is still my favorite thing like it was in 5.

Farcry 3 Classic is on sale for like $3

Anybody play it on a One X? Says it has One X optimizations. How does it hold up graphically to the newer stuff? Haven't played it since its release on the 360

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Picked up New Dawn since it was $10 and I was in the mood for the Farcry gameplay loop again.

It's a very pretty game and doing the bunker/caches is still my favorite thing like it was in 5.

Farcry 3 Classic is on sale for like $3

Anybody play it on a One X? Says it has One X optimizations. How does it hold up graphically to the newer stuff? Haven't played it since its release on the 360

I think its just some mechanical upscaling and maybe texture optimizations.

It doesn’t look bad by any means, but it still looks like ps3/360 game, you aren’t going to load it up and wonder if you accidentally put in farcry 5 by mistake.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mortious wrote: »

Not just used it. Appropriated it and change the words to match their marketing plan.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Reminds me of "Aug Lives Matter" from Deus Ex Human Revolution. What is with marketing departments?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Farcry 3 Classic is on sale for like $3.

Anybody play it on a One X? Says it has One X optimizations. How does it hold up graphically to the newer stuff? Haven't played it since its release on the 360.
    I bought it last year and couldn't tell the difference between the XB360 version running through BC and the native 'classic' version.
    Only difference is that classic is supposedly 4k native resolution versus 1080p (maybe lower, I'm not sure?).

I do remember there being a Digital Foundry video on the topic and IIRC the differences are minimal.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

Not just used it. Appropriated it and change the words to match their marketing plan.

So basically like everyone else who ever used Martin Niemoller's poem.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Reminds me of "Aug Lives Matter" from Deus Ex Human Revolution. What is with marketing departments?

Bunch of white dudes who don't see the words beyond "its famous and we can use it for our game/movie/pop culture".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Multicultural team with various religiou-s oh god gonna barf.

• Options

Multicultural team with various religiou-s oh god gonna barf.

Now hold on!

Ubisoft represents a wide variety of beliefs.

They worship dollars, euros, pounds, and many other types of currency!
    heh, it was low hanging fruit. Its whatever. They're a business, I get it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Fair is fair when religion ends up in game's crosshairs. But for a series that says, "hey, what if Christianity was stupid and fake and it was really aliens?" Take a guess on if there will EVER be an Assassin's Creed that does the same thing with Islamic or Jewish scripture/folklore. Hint: It's not gonna happen.

• Options
    They... Sort of did that with islam too, but very indirectly?

I mean they didn’t mention it outright, but the Assassin’s were definitely a very Islamic religious sect in real life and Assassins Creed turns it into “the Islam of the Assassins was just a ploy, but really individualism and freedom and aliens”.

They just don’t lampshade it nearly as much as with the Templars.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Farcry 3 Classic is on sale for like $3.

Anybody play it on a One X? Says it has One X optimizations. How does it hold up graphically to the newer stuff? Haven't played it since its release on the 360.
    I bought it last year and couldn't tell the difference between the XB360 version running through BC and the native 'classic' version.
    Only difference is that classic is supposedly 4k native resolution versus 1080p (maybe lower, I'm not sure?).

I do remember there being a Digital Foundry video on the topic and IIRC the differences are minimal.

If you watch the video, the X and Pro run at 1440p and have all the things the PC version had that the 360 and PS3 never did. So there is better lighting, textures, models, and draw distance. It is different from the BC version.

• Options
    Fair is fair when religion ends up in game's crosshairs. But for a series that says, "hey, what if Christianity was stupid and fake and it was really aliens?" Take a guess on if there will EVER be an Assassin's Creed that does the same thing with Islamic or Jewish scripture/folklore. Hint: It's not gonna happen.

I think Christianity is also the natural choice because there's already a large volume of space-lizard-people-level conspiracies about Christianity, less so other religions just by virtue of western media's familiarity with Christianity.

No one bats an eye at the Knights Templar being evil!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Also, the Adam and Eve story is in all the Abrahamic religions, so AC2 hits the triple with its glyph puzzles

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I replayed 4 and am just starting to replay 5.

On the last Longinus mission he says he "Might go to South America" then says "Maybe Cuba"

So is he in 6? I know it is likely faux Cuba and I can't imagine Ubisoft thinking 2 games ahead so maybe.

Do I want him in 6? It might be nice to do some missions. I always like his brand of crazy. My sermon fires 1000 rounds/minute. Though it looks like from the limited trailer they have toned down the crazy so Longinus and Hurk may be iffy though a CIA man named Willis might fit.

P.S. I forgot how annoying the "automatically captured stuff" was in 5.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I liked Longinus a lot as a character, he was interesting. It'd be great to have him back in FC6 if they can do it in a way that makes sense.

I don't hate Hurk like a lot of people seem to, but I'd be totally find if they retired him too. He doesn't add a whole lot, and enough people are annoyed by him that not including him would probably generally be seen as a net benefit.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I like Hurk in the Mars dlc. Him being a redneck court jester fits a lot better in the absurd one off story.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just finished Far Cry: New Dawn. My thoughts in spoilers below:
    Fuck this. Fuck everything about this. I actually liked the ending of FC5 in a weird positive nihilistic way, but it was still under the assumption that Joseph Seed and his cult were a bunch of grifters who were ultimately full of shit and had no redeeming qualities. Now FC:ND wants to try and make Joseph somehow sympathetic and the lesser of evils... FUCK no. Fuck religion, fuck New Eden, and fuck the Seeds. I want no part in the narrative they're trying to sell me.

I liked the gameplay. It's still Far Cry, and it's still fun as all hell to play. But god dammit, they'd better figure out their narrative chops for FC6, or I'm done with this bullshit.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I have only played 4 so far, but the writing in 5 and ND was too gross for me to stomach. Especially since I played Ghost Recon Wildlands and holy shit Ubisoft can pretty much all get fucked.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Damn, Far Cry New Dawn is currently $68 on both Steam and EGS in Australia.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I have finished replaying 4,5,an New Dawn. I think the game loop really feeds my near ADD. I love these games.

I going to go do this main quest. Wait, there is a collectable just off a direct route. I'll get that first. Oh, there is a courier on my way to the collectable, I'll just off him and be on my way. He is being attacked by a bear. I wonder if I can kill that bear with my bow? The bear is near a Salmon spot? I wonder if they planned it that way. Let me fish for 5 minutes. Wait, what was I doing?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Just finished Far Cry: New Dawn. My thoughts in spoilers below:
    Fuck this. Fuck everything about this. I actually liked the ending of FC5 in a weird positive nihilistic way, but it was still under the assumption that Joseph Seed and his cult were a bunch of grifters who were ultimately full of shit and had no redeeming qualities. Now FC:ND wants to try and make Joseph somehow sympathetic and the lesser of evils... FUCK no. Fuck religion, fuck New Eden, and fuck the Seeds. I want no part in the narrative they're trying to sell me.

I liked the gameplay. It's still Far Cry, and it's still fun as all hell to play. But god dammit, they'd better figure out their narrative chops for FC6, or I'm done with this bullshit.

I didn't really take it that way, but also I didn't play FC5.
    When you're talking to Seed it makes it clear that he thinks he fucked up, everything is terrible now, he made a huge mistake and now the last thing he cared about is dead so please put him out of his misery. And you can say fuck that and walk away and he wails in despair as he is trapped in this hell of his own making because he sure as shit isn't going to kill himself. Everything about that is saying Fuck Joseph Seed he was wrong and is a huge piece of shit.

It was everything else about the "story" that sucked and was terrible. But that moment I liked.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    On New Dawn and Seed:
    I felt like it made pretty clear that after Seed got his apocalypse he realized that his “flock” wasn’t any better than the people they were going to replace, he’d accomplished nothing real, etc. That’s why he fucked off to become a hermit and try to achieve ‘enlightenment’ with the apple. But in the end even that blew up in his face and the only thing he was left with was a realization of how big of a shit he was. I don’t think that you can take any kind of real positive portrayal from that. New Eden itself is kind of in a “hey the apocalypse happened, and now we are alone and have no idea what to do” situation. The game doesn’t present them as a shining city on a hill. They are basically fractured, directionless, and can’t even fight off some random Fallout raiders without PC help.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Far Cry 6 'Gameplay' reveal (skip to 29m:45s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdjtwJNrOo

Early October Release, unless it gets delayed again, of course.

*Yawns* I'm going to wait for a sale on this one. Bored of the series.
    I thought they were going with a female protagonist at first, which would be interesting, but it seems like you can create your own (fully voiced in cutscenes etc) 'Dani' to be either male or female, like in 5 and Cyberpunk.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yup, that's another Far Cry

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    You can almost see it now:

Beautiful locations, cutting edge graphics, a charismatic and interesting villain, fantastic voice acting and sound work, fun run-and-gun dynamics.... crippled by gameplay that has you grab the next radio tower to keep "taking back the country", on again off again tone broken up by "silly missions", and a bleak "edgy" narrative that desperately tries to paint in grey so that the rebels aren't any better than the dictator they overthrow and you feel like shit and wonder "what was it all for" at the end of it.

These games could be so good if they'd let someone write with more depth than you find in a college student center cafeteria.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Giancarlo Esposito might have been miscast as a menacing character in a videogame. A key element of his performance as Breaking Bad's Fring was his exacting and precise movements and expressions, which come across in live action as unnatural and otherworldly. He was someone so controlled and calm and powerful, the slightest movement from him was a threat, calculated, carefully chosen.

But turns out if you mocap someone sitting completely still it just looks like bad animation. In particular, that "slow smile" they tried to do in the interview scene just comes off as someone dragging the slider on a smile shape key in blender. It looks ridiculous. I expect a lot of meme gifs to come out of it.

We'll get back there someday.