As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the Exclusive PA [Wrestling] Thread

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    DRINK IT ORANGE

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    That was one of the best gimmick matches I have seen. So good.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That really made up for that second match they had.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Thank god they made the correct booking decision.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Some day, DAMNATION will host a Beer Garden show featuring Daisuke Sasaki and Orange Cassidy in a Whiskey & Vodka Match and I can't wait.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    And then after Quizzo, Orange noticed I was drinking eggnog, and excitedly talked to me about eggnog (primarily asking how it's made, because he didn't know) for an hour

This is so fucking funny to me, oh my god

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    "Punishing the pereneum"

rfhfa6k3jbjn.jpg

• Options
    This is a LOT of blood play.

• Options
    I think I might have been reconditioned by the new shorter WWE PPVs because this whole thing has turned into a slog. 4 hours is too long for a wrestling PPV in 2020.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I didn’t even think any of the individual matches were too long outside of the tag title match, it’s just that there were too many of them.

Like, there’s no reason for that 8-man tag to be on this show. And you could have left Bucks/Jurassic off of it too.

Sprout on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I feel comfortable saying that was the worst main/full-price (non-Fyter Fest/Fight for the Fallen) AEW event thus far

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Now it's time for Moxley/Archer II!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it had some good matches but it was too long and they keep doing this thing where they front-load.... the first two hours were pretty solid. the last two... not bad per se, but FOUR HOURS.... five if you watch the buy-in

its just too much

and yeah, as a florida resident, I can say this has been one of the worst weeks of heat I can recall this summer, so I'm sure everyone there was just spent

• Options
    Honestly, that was an average PPV. I can't say it was bad since there were some good matches but so much of it felt unnecessarily long, and the build to this show left a lot to be desired. Storytelling has never been AEW's strong suit, and it was really highlighted when they couldn't throw excellent wrestlers into every match.

Clear MOTN was Shida/Rosa. Not surprising and probably something you could have called going into the show, but it's nice to see the women deliver where so many of the other matches fell flat to me.

Of course, the clear storyline coming out of this show is the Matt Hardy situation and how much AEW fucked up here, which is always something you want to have for one of your 4 yearly PPVs.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    its going to be a wonderful week when wardlow finally breaks mjfs spine on live television

• Options
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but Doc Samson needs to be fired, and anyone who thought a concussion should be met by the company medic/doctor giving a green/red light for a wrestler immediately after a concussion should be fired, too. Literally whoever's idea it was to ask Samson whether or not Matt was good to wrestle? Fired.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Watching the company throw Doc Samson under the bus in real time is fascinating.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I do not believe a single goddamn word of what Khan says there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Why would you? He's a wrestling promoter.

• Options
    Oh I believe him when he says Matt cleared the "concussion protocol," I just think any concussion protocol that isn't literally "You had a concussion, you're done for the night, let's take you to the hospital and find out how bad it is," is some fucking bullshit. Checking to see if they can continue shouldn't have even been on the menu.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I'm confident they're using the same concussion protocol the Jaguars use, and football makes some very questionable calls about concussions.

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    I feel like Tony Kahn is really good at telling people what they want to hear and having a good relationship with pro wrestling media figures who then mostly just repeat what he says uncritically. Also the fact that WWE is a pretty terrible company allows him to escape scrutiny because they look better by comparison.

Any “concussion protocol” which let that match las night continue is a complete joke. If I was a reporter I would probably sense that there’s a story there with AEW’s medical policies between what happened last night and that it seems obvious they don’t do any testing for PEDs. But I’m sure WWE will do something fucked up soon to cause wrestling fans and media move on to the next subject soon enough.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Reby Hardy tweeted that Matt needed additional imaging after his CT Scan and "1000%" has a concussion, as well as posting a clip of the match where he can't even stand for a bit.

She has since locked her account due to harrasment

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    It wasn’t a kid that rushed Mox like it looked it was an adult 🤦‍♂️

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So, changes that need to be made to AEW:

1: Fix the concussion protocol. Like, NOW.

2: Move JR off commentary. He was decent for a while, but more and more, he's turning into NJPW JR. There's no reason to keep him out there making kinda gross comments and shitting on the product, especially when Veda, Goldenboy, Taz, and Colt are all available.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    So, changes that need to be made to AEW:

1: Fix the concussion protocol. Like, NOW.

2: Move JR off commentary. He was decent for a while, but more and more, he's turning into NJPW JR. There's no reason to keep him out there making kinda gross comments and shitting on the product, especially when Veda, Goldenboy, Taz, and Colt are all available.

I'd say they 3.also need an arbiter for handling internal affairs for stuff like Darby Allin and other accused talent, because Tony Khan reading his dm's as proof that he's not a bad lad super sucks and still sticks in my craw.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I'm confident they're using the same concussion protocol the Jaguars use, and football makes some very questionable calls about concussions.

Yeah, this could actually come back around to expose how shitty football teams have been about concussions, failing to meet the safety standards of literal carnies. Say what you will about WWE and how long it took them to start doing it but they've proven they're willing to change or end a match if somebody gets concussed.

And honestly even if you're looking at it from the ghoulish perspective of only caring about your product and thus your bottom line calling it would be the better finish. No spectacle is going to shock people more than a man's skull falling 12 feet and bouncing off concrete. Sammy can't come out on Dynamite and say "damn, you really got me good by pushing me into that crash mat" and if he does try to salvage some heat off this horrific accident he's going to have to preempt everything with "well I did lose but..."

Also the spot was entirely unnecessarily dangerous. There was no reason to make Sammy the one leading the fall when he couldn't see where they were landing. If you're going to do that at least move the tables back or put more of them out there. It's not like it's going to break the immersion of your merch table conveniently placed next to a scissor lift in an almost entirely empty arena. The whole thing is such a poorly planned and executed shitshow that just gets worse the more you think about it.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

Yeah, this could actually come back around to expose how shitty football teams have been about concussions, failing to meet the safety standards of literal carnies. Say what you will about WWE and how long it took them to start doing it but they've proven they're willing to change or end a match if somebody gets concussed.

And honestly even if you're looking at it from the ghoulish perspective of only caring about your product and thus your bottom line calling it would be the better finish. No spectacle is going to shock people more than a man's skull falling 12 feet and bouncing off concrete. Sammy can't come out on Dynamite and say "damn, you really got me good by pushing me into that crash mat" and if he does try to salvage some heat off this horrific accident he's going to have to preempt everything with "well I did lose but..."

Also the spot was entirely unnecessarily dangerous. There was no reason to make Sammy the one leading the fall when he couldn't see where they were landing. If you're going to do that at least move the tables back or put more of them out there. It's not like it's going to break the immersion of your merch table conveniently placed next to a scissor lift in an almost entirely empty arena. The whole thing is such a poorly planned and executed shitshow that just gets worse the more you think about it.

I will say that current football standards for concussions are much better than they used to be, and if AEW and Tony Khan used the same concussion protocols that the Jaguars do, then that match would have actually been stopped.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    As rough as that was, I actually felt the Darby Allen spot in the body bag with tacks outside onto the platform felt just as risky. Maybe during a one on one or tag match I wouldn't have winced but in the craziness of a battle royal it made me cringe almost as much as the Matt injury.

• Options
    for that darby bit... i dont know... did it even have to be real tacks? i know they have been real in the other shows, but the way they presented this one it would have been exactly the same performance if they were fake

especially with other wrestlers in the ring in soft shoes...

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    As rough as that was, I actually felt the Darby Allen spot in the body bag with tacks outside onto the platform felt just as risky. Maybe during a one on one or tag match I wouldn't have winced but in the craziness of a battle royal it made me cringe almost as much as the Matt injury.

While it's certainly a rough spot it's basically just a regular gorilla press slam but Darby's taking it blind. As long as he braces himself the entire time he's in the air and Cage is strong enough to level him out before throwing him he should be fine. Hell even the added element of the thumb tacks is lessened when you realize that they were probably all clipped to be dull and they mostly rolled to the bottom of the bag where Darby's wearing boots when he was lifted up. Note they never show him coming out of the body bag covered in blood and thumbtacks.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was more the bag than the tacks given the hectic nature of the battle royal.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    AEW just proved they'd rather be WWE-lite instead of actually following through on wanting to be better. Between Matt Hardy scrambling his brain again- one of these times, he's going to fuck up so bad he'll have to retire- and the company abso-fucking-lutely goosing that up, JR being an absolute ghoul on commentary and the whole "refusing to answer tough questions", I think it's just time for a break until they get their shit together- if they ever do. I hope the talent is paying attention, because that's the company showing true colors right there.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Miro would be the first Twitch Champion in my Twitch wrestling league

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2020

These guys are one of the big deathmatch companies, right?

Edit: I think my favorite bit about that Miro clip is how he starts saying F instead of fuck, immediately after calling him a motherfucker lmao

Crippl3 on
  • Options
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I just now heard about the Matt hardy incident at all out. Watched it.

Absolutely shameful on aew to have that match basically restart and finish. Dude was knocked out and looked concussed if you ask me. Just shameful to put his health at risk like that.

This discussion has been closed.