As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iphone -> Win 10 Photo Transfer issues

CorvusCorvus .VancouverRegistered User regular
Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious, but I'm having trouble with what what to used to be a pretty easy, if tedious process. I'm trying to free up space on my iphone by moving my photos to my PC, and also a second time to an external drive. I used to be able to "transfer and delete" photos for the second stage pretty easily, but I'm having issues now.

I suspect it might because my newer photos are in the .heic format? I've been using the Win 10 "Photos" program to try and do the transfer, and I've also done it using Windows explorer, but I can't seem to get the photos to delete off the iPhone in the process.

I'm getting a lot of garbage and random sites when I try googling solutions, so I'm wondering if someone can recommend a photo transfer utility to use that will let me do a transfer and delete process?

:so_raven:

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I would just recommend using Google Photo. It's way easier to just toss them all on there and then copy to your home PC. Make sure to choose the full quality option and not "high quality" it defaults to, which compresses them. You get about 15-20gb free I think? I have photos going back a decade on there. And it can be used to search pictures by color, size, location, etc

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This sounds like the same question as this one from the ios general thread:
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hey, iPhone peeps. A friend of mine is having a problem. She's used to plugging her phone into her laptop (a PC), copying her photos over to the laptop and then deleting them off the phone from the laptop. But the last few times she's plugged the phone inter her laptop, it won't let her delete the photos, with an error message to the effect of "you don't have permission to delete that". Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

I don't have a direct answer, but I just tried it now and it worked okay for me; phone is still on iOS 13.6.1, though. (Edit: still working okay now I'm on ios 13.7)

Also, I have 'keep originals' set under settings for photos, so the phone doesn't try and convert them while copying them off. (when it was set to 'transfer to PC or Mac as "automatic"', I couldn't get videos off any more because the phone would try and convert them from heic to mp4 or something and fail).

(I can delete photos both by hitting 'delete' and cut-paste from windows explorer)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    This sounds like the same question as this one from the ios general thread:
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hey, iPhone peeps. A friend of mine is having a problem. She's used to plugging her phone into her laptop (a PC), copying her photos over to the laptop and then deleting them off the phone from the laptop. But the last few times she's plugged the phone inter her laptop, it won't let her delete the photos, with an error message to the effect of "you don't have permission to delete that". Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

I don't have a direct answer, but I just tried it now and it worked okay for me; phone is still on iOS 13.6.1, though.

Also, I have 'keep originals' set under settings for photos, so the phone doesn't try and convert them while copying them off. (when it was set to 'transfer to PC or Mac as "automatic"', I couldn't get videos off any more because the phone would try and convert them from heic to mp4 or something and fail).

(I can delete photos both by hitting 'delete' and cut-paste from windows explorer)

Thanks I'll try this.

:so_raven: