As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Of note I think is that people who can afford daycare full time are sending their kids to daycare. Daycare never shut down. Daycare is offering to help set up kids computers and supervise their online attendance.

Daycare is doing what schools were afraid to do. We substituted sacrificing teachers at the altar of capitalism for sacrificing child development majors or student employees who make almost nothing at Kindercare or whatever.

E: This isn't a dig at teachers or childcare employees, but we were never going to not pass the buck from relatively well regarded professionals to people who don't have a choice as to whether or not to go to work.

E2: Private schools never stopped doing in person teaching, either. So fuck the poor in general I guess.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    e: Actually, removing this due to some iffy data sources.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Florida is removing all restrictions on bars and restaurants, letting them have 100 percent capacity.

From the photos I've seen, it seemed like Florida already had zero restrictions.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    COVID-19 is now the 4th largest mass casualty event in US history.

At 200,000 it is currently surpassed by WW2 (400k) and the Civil War and 1918 Flu (650k and 700k)

However, it is currently #1 by deaths per week at 6000, putting it about even with the 1918 flu and waaaay ahead of the wars.

That's frightening, since there's good reason to think that rate will increase, and even AT that rate, it's only a bit over half a year more to surpass WW2.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Given how politicized this whole thing is, that was predictable.

Even if it wasn't politicized it's still predictable some small percentage would do it.

And anyway, by the time they're symptomatic they've been spreading it for a few days!

Actually think that's already banned by a Bush 2 era law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Information_Nondiscrimination_Act

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Florida is removing all restrictions on bars and restaurants, letting them have 100 percent capacity.

From the photos I've seen, it seemed like Florida already had zero restrictions.

I can't speak for the whole state, but yeah there are absolutely areas and owners who are just ignoring the restirctions, and thanks to Desantis and crew there's no enforcement for it so no punishment.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    The local Walmart removed the one way decals the other day.

Not that most people followed them.

Also seeing a lot of unmasked people in stores despite a very explicit county wide requirement.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Also seeing a lot of unmasked people in stores despite a very explicit county wide requirement.

Our Meijer did that too, but again I think it was more nobody was following them, and the aisles are wide enough anyway. It really felt like a pointless thing compared to the other measures.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, all our local stores (Food Lion, Walgreens) pretty much gave up on the one-way aisles.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Ours has also removed the separator between the entrance and exit doors, which was actually wonderful to have even outside of the prevention context. Most of the parking lot is such that it's a few steps shorter to enter the store through the exit and people here are so lazy that walking as little as possible is cultural at this point.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    One way aisles were a good idea but never really marked that well. They needed visible eye-level signage, not floor stickers. But even then I don't think they would be followed very well. I generally see the checkout social distancing being followed (carts help there).

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

At 200,000 it is currently surpassed by WW2 (400k) and the Civil War and 1918 Flu (650k and 700k)

However, it is currently #1 by deaths per week at 6000, putting it about even with the 1918 flu and waaaay ahead of the wars.

That's frightening, since there's good reason to think that rate will increase, and even AT that rate, it's only a bit over half a year more to surpass WW2.

Its a huge number, but we should remember that 1918 flu numbers are a massive undercount in a much smaller population. 30/1000 people in San Francisco died in 6 months. The better records a place had, the more people died, and good record keeping doesnt kill people.

Thats cold comfort today of course.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Of note I think is that people who can afford daycare full time are sending their kids to daycare. Daycare never shut down. Daycare is offering to help set up kids computers and supervise their online attendance.

Daycare is doing what schools were afraid to do. We substituted sacrificing teachers at the altar of capitalism for sacrificing child development majors or student employees who make almost nothing at Kindercare or whatever.

E: This isn't a dig at teachers or childcare employees, but we were never going to not pass the buck from relatively well regarded professionals to people who don't have a choice as to whether or not to go to work.

E2: Private schools never stopped doing in person teaching, either. So fuck the poor in general I guess.

Lots of private schools stopped doing in-person teaching, just btw.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Daycare not shutting down isn't universal. My kids daycare was shutdown for two months before reopening, and then they had to shut down again after some of their teachers got covid.

And its not like parents putting our kids in daycare are doing it to infect others. We need to work to be able to afford our families, the fed sure as fuck hasn't been doing shit for any of us.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    One way aisles were a good idea but never really marked that well. They needed visible eye-level signage, not floor stickers. But even then I don't think they would be followed very well. I generally see the checkout social distancing being followed (carts help there).

One of the stores here has signs on the floor and at eye level. Some people ignore signs (and hey, our brains have been trained to because most of those signs are advertisements).

A lot of those people just don't care, too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

One of the stores here has signs on the floor and at eye level. Some people ignore signs (and hey, our brains have been trained to because most of those signs are advertisements).

A lot of those people just don't care, too.

Yeah, most of the stores had dual signage. People either didn't care or were so used to shopping a certain way that it was difficult for them to break years of habit. I mean, I know I started down the wrong way more than once, only to realize my error.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Just as a reminder about big numbers and US Populations:

1860 - 31,443,321
    1917 - 103,268,000
    1940 - 132,100,000

What we are going through right now continues to be a pale specter compared to the horrors of the past.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

1860 - 31,443,321
    1917 - 103,268,000
    1940 - 132,100,000

What we are going through right now continues to be a pale specter compared to the horrors of the past.

While that's true, and while there have always been anti-science reactionaries, we're at a point where the ratio of good science to bad/ignorant behaviour is at a level that dwarfs those other loss of life incidents.

We shouldn't be close to the number of deaths we're at. We "choose" to be, through ignorance and selfishness.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Parents Knowingly Sent Kids With Coronavirus to School, Wisconsin Officials Say
    Parents are knowingly sending their children who have coronavirus back to classes in Wisconsin, health officials said on Thursday, which could lead to potential school district shutdowns.

“The health department has worked with school districts since spring to make a plan to reopen,” Kirsten Johnson, Washington-Ozaukee public health director, told NBC News. “Never in a million years did we imagine or think to account for parents deliberately sending their sick or symptomatic child to school.”

"Evil will always triumph because Good is dumb."

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I honestly don't understand how they could avoid thinking about that. Do none of them work? Do they honestly believe that everyone has like a solid 6 weeks of alternative childcare? This was always going to be fucked.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    We had a fun Friday, relabeling 600 COVID test kits that were ordered from Pathtech without enough information to identify patients on the labels.

Out of a lot of 30k, but it was kind of fun mindless repetitive work that I kinda miss sometimes.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

1860 - 31,443,321
    1917 - 103,268,000
    1940 - 132,100,000

While that's true, and while there have always been anti-science reactionaries, we're at a point where the ratio of good science to bad/ignorant behaviour is at a level that dwarfs those other loss of life incidents.

We shouldn't be close to the number of deaths we're at. We "choose" to be, through ignorance and selfishness.

I mean, we have better science, but there was no lack of bad or ignorant behavior in the past. The 1918 flu pandemic was not ended by masking or social distancing. It was spread out a bit by that, and places which did better had somewhat fewer infections, but it ended due to herd immunity through mass infections of the public and reversion to the mean of lethality of flu due to previous exposures to ancestor strains, or less lethal mutant strains.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/25/trump-hhs-ads-coronavirus-421957
    The health department is moving quickly on a highly unusual advertising campaign to "defeat despair" about the coronavirus, a $300 million-plus effort that was shaped by a political appointee close to President Donald Trump and executed in part by close allies of the official, using taxpayer funds.

The ad blitz, described in some budget documents as the "Covid-19 immediate surge public advertising and awareness campaign," is expected to lean heavily on video interviews between administration officials and celebrities, who will discuss aspects of the coronavirus outbreak and address the Trump administration's response to the crisis, according to six individuals with knowledge of the campaign who described its workings to POLITICO.

Senior administration officials have already recorded interviews with celebrities like actor Dennis Quaid and singer CeCe Winans, and the Health and Human Services Department also has pursued television host Dr. Mehmet Oz and musician Garth Brooks for roles in the campaign.
    But 10 current and former health officials told POLITICO that they have concerns about the campaign's scope, goals and even how it has been funded — by pulling money out of health agencies like the Centers for Disease Control that are in the midst of fighting the pandemic, rather than working with lawmakers to set up a brand-new advertising effort with congressional oversight, or drawing on substantial internal resources and expertise in running health-related public service campaigns.

"CDC hasn’t yet done an awareness campaign about Covid guidelines — but they are going to pay for a campaign about how to get rid of our despair? Run by political appointees in the press shop? Right before an election?" said Josh Peck, a former HHS official who oversaw the Obama administration's advertising campaign for HealthCare.gov.

"It’s like every red flag I could dream of," Peck added.
    Health officials have approached deploying the videos "like a political campaign with surrogates" tailored to winning over specific populations, said one individual who's spoken with Caputo. For instance, Caputo discussed deploying videos of Winans in conversation with Adams in urban markets, to shore up the administration's messaging with Blacks. Both Winans and Adams are African-American.
    These are going to be very worthless poorly disguised campaign ads.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    The 1918 pandemic is a super outlier re: flu pathogenicity and it most certainly wasn't "ended by herd immunity". We don't really understand why it worked the way it did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The 1918 pandemic is a super outlier re: flu pathogenicity and it most certainly wasn't "ended by herd immunity". We don't really understand why it worked the way it did.

Maybe you don't know, but I saw this episode of quantum leap where sam stopped the virus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The health department is moving quickly on a highly unusual advertising campaign to "defeat despair" about the coronavirus, a $300 million-plus effort that was shaped by a political appointee close to President Donald Trump and executed in part by close allies of the official, using taxpayer funds.
    Fuck Trump. Fuck the head of the HHS. Fuck Dennis Quaid. Fuck CeCe Winans. Fuck Dr. Oz. And Fuck Garth Brooks. This was money that should have gone to tests, not a re-election ad campaign blitz.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I want to say Garth Brooks was pursued but told them to get fucked- as much as he tried to avoid politics, he’s tipped his hand a few times to indicate he’s pretty far from being a Trump fan

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Maybe you don't know, but I saw this episode of quantum leap where sam stopped the virus.

Citation needed.

Sam Beckett could only travel within the timeframe of his own life. It was a pretty key plot point, and was only really broken twice (1945, switch with Al, and Civil War, which was bullshit reasoning).

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Fuck Trump. Fuck the head of the HHS. Fuck Dennis Quaid. Fuck CeCe Winans. Fuck Dr. Oz. And Fuck Garth Brooks. This was money that should have gone to tests, not a re-election ad campaign blitz.

This is Republicans all over, though. Why worry about problems when we can control the narrative about problems?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The narrative is the problem what do you mean?

• Options
    Gyral wrote: »

This is Republicans all over, though. Why worry about problems when we can control the narrative about problems?

The real problem is the narrative people have about our problematic narrative! We need an awareness campaign to eliminate despair over our attempts to eliminate coronavirus related despair!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trump said that the only thing he failed on concerning corona is the PR, so yes, exactly.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trump said that the only thing he failed on concerning corona is the PR, so yes, exactly.

It must be strange for him to discover limits to his mind control powers.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It must be strange for him to discover limits to his mind control powers.

It’s other people’s fault

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Aaaaand I’m under official quarantine :/

They said I came into contact with someone who tested positive on Monday, so it must have happened when I visited the doctor that day.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisprener/status/1310009882406510595

Speaking of rural areas getting hit harder but later: Missouri. Cases are rising quickly, but not in the two main cities of St. Louis and Kansas City. "Outstate" is the local term for "outside those two main cities in Missouri."

a_avg_all.png

The cities are down from their peaks and steady. Outstate is rising sharply. The two counties with the highest death rates don't even have ICU beds (one of them is also surrounded entirely by counties that also don't have ICU beds). And of course, these rural areas are still deep in denial.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Rural places getting hit hard later reminds me of how incompetent this administration is. And I don’t just mean Trump, but Kushner too.

He was the one that undermined the initial response and set the tone Trump has been repeating because the virus was mostly affecting blue areas. Anyone could tell them that urban/blue areas are gonna get affected first because of population density and that viruses don’t care about boarders, so of course it’s gonna inevitably spread to rural/red areas later.

Except now it’s heavily denied by people about to get the hardest, right before the election, and because of how politicized Trump has made it. His core constituents are about to start dropping like flies because fuck the libs and the ACA.

If they would have taken this seriously from the beginning, Trump could have spared tens of thousands of lives and possibly coasted to re-election, but because there’s no grift in competent actions, here we are.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'd say even more then population density, it hit the places it did first because those areas are travel hubs. It's where the virus came from most of the time.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Speaking of rural areas getting hit harder but later: Missouri. Cases are rising quickly, but not in the two main cities of St. Louis and Kansas City. "Outstate" is the local term for "outside those two main cities in Missouri."

a_avg_all.png

The cities are down from their peaks and steady. Outstate is rising sharply. The two counties with the highest death rates don't even have ICU beds (one of them is also surrounded entirely by counties that also don't have ICU beds). And of course, these rural areas are still deep in denial.

Shit, if I’m reading those graphs correctly, the current peak for outstate may be higher than the combined total for the cities at their highest point.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I live in 'outstate' MO, specifically Cape Girardeau county, in the southeast corner of the state. It's... insane here. The public health department had a meeting last week about extending the mask mandate (which is not being enforced in any way and routinely ignored without consequence). The public attendees were 100% antimaskers and belligerent from the beginning, before the meeting even properly started they were repeatedly claiming they couldn't hear the board speakers due to them wearing masks. And yet cases are popping up EVERYWHERE, our schools have literally resorted to begging parents to have their kids wear masks at least part of the day, but none of it matters. Giant football games still going on, the stores have given up on distancing markers of any kind. My daughter takes Tae Kwon Do classes and they originally were great about measures but have been worn down over time by aggressive parents and their in-studio classes are full to the brim again (daughter still continues to take classes from home via Zoom).

We are 'fortunate' in that we have the biggest hospital presence in the area, but that area served is very large. Something like ICU 50 beds vs a population served of over 50,000. I don't know enough to say if that's normal but in the situation that is worsening by the day here, it feels bad.

My family and I (mostly me as I try to be the main person leaving the house for errands when possible) have been openly insulted for wearing a mask, never mind the constant staring and dirty looks. The constant worry of when, not if, it's going to enter our home is wearing me down. My youngest son in particular has an existing breathing condition and frankly I'm terrified what will happen to him.

We've lived here for 8 years and it wasn't until a few months ago that we had regret for coming here. This coupled with Trump has really shown the pervasive ugliness of this area. Of course it's not 100%, I have a (small) circle of friends who are sane and decent. Have I been perfect? No; I wear a mask everywhere but I can't say every time I've left the house has been for a 'necessary' reason. But for god's sake to just deny the pain and suffering of not only somewhere else in the country but your literal neighbors, I can't stand it. I mentioned to a friend a few weeks ago before things started getting worse that it felt like waiting for a bomb to go off, and even now that it's exploding people are pretending it isn't.

Sorry this turned into a vent!

This discussion has been closed.