Options

[Hades II] These deities are hotter than Hades (Early Access NOW)

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I tried using the Chiron Bow. Pacts, I turned on pretty much everything except the time limit. Figured I wouldn't want to mess around with a potential timer with extra enemies, extra health for enemies, etc. The one that makes you choose boons was pretty awful. Pretty much anytime I was searching for something in specific it happened to grey it out.

Here's a screenshot of my 32 heat win, showing the pacts I used:
    qxmr31bhk8l8.jpg

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I honestly want to see the heat system redesigned anyway, because I really do not like the "Choose your own difficulty" mechanic to it - there's just too many fucking variables, and some of them have really outsized effects on how hard the game is. Like increasing the damage is... less bad than you'd think.

But increasing the number of enemies or their HP is a real problem! Let alone if you combine both and then add the the first instance of damage cant hurt them. (Which in turn, screws over certain weapons more than others)

I actually like that different Arms deal with some Pact terms better than others. It's a nice, small addition to the puzzle of how to plan out a run. Certainly, it's more work than planning your Mirror of Night boons or your Keepsakes, but it doesn't feel like it should be that much trouble in the big scheme of things.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I tried using the Chiron Bow. Pacts, I turned on pretty much everything except the time limit. Figured I wouldn't want to mess around with a potential timer with extra enemies, extra health for enemies, etc. The one that makes you choose boons was pretty awful. Pretty much anytime I was searching for something in specific it happened to grey it out.

qxmr31bhk8l8.jpg

I’ll try and give that a try, though I don’t think I have access to Extreme Measures 4. Worse comes to worse I’ll just come back and try it legit later.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I FINALLY BEAT THE GAME! WOOO!!!

Took me 21 tries, but I got there in the end. The third respawn helped, but I had a solid build going into the final boss. Using the bow, my primary attack caused Weak and my Special caused Doom. The two afflictions procced the 40% damage boost. But what was great was I got the Boon that causes Doom to continue to activate as long as the target was Weak. So my patterns from level 3 on was to attack, special, sit back and attack. Worked out really well.

Interesting ending and a real elegant way to have the player start runs over again. I'm still missing one trinket from someone I haven't met yet and there are two midbosses I haven't seen yet. I'm assuming now I unlock the "Heat" and perhaps the final to "undiscovered" parts of the codex? Also, I bought the 11 keys I needed to unlock the last part of the mirror. Any suggestions on what to spend my darkness on there?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Hey congrats Dover, you got your first clear in like 10 fewer runs than I did.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I FINALLY BEAT THE GAME! WOOO!!!

Took me 21 tries, but I got there in the end. The third respawn helped, but I had a solid build going into the final boss. Using the bow, my primary attack caused Weak and my Special caused Doom. The two afflictions procced the 40% damage boost. But what was great was I got the Boon that causes Doom to continue to activate as long as the target was Weak. So my patterns from level 3 on was to attack, special, sit back and attack. Worked out really well.

Interesting ending and a real elegant way to have the player start runs over again. I'm still missing one trinket from someone I haven't met yet and there are two midbosses I haven't seen yet. I'm assuming now I unlock the "Heat" and perhaps the final to "undiscovered" parts of the codex? Also, I bought the 11 keys I needed to unlock the last part of the mirror. Any suggestions on what to spend my darkness on there?

for the mirror, the last two slots are mostly for convenience. i'd stick to upgrading stuff that's more generally useful/effective, like health per chamber/darkness, extra damage to foes with blood gems in them, extra life, stuff like that

but honestly, you'll be able to upgrade everything at least partially before too long, so just put points into whatever skills you personally like and that fit your playstyle

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    And also you can respec the mirror...

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So how are you supposed to be progressing through weapon upgrades? Do you need to farm diamonds, or does a better way show up once you clear the game?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So how are you supposed to be progressing through weapon upgrades? Do you need to farm diamonds, or does a better way show up once you clear the game?
    Pact of Punishment, which you get when you beat the final boss for the first time, allows you to add Difficulty to the game in the form of toggle-able elements like “more spawns”.

Each level of difficulty you add (called “Heat”) will allow you to get the boss rewards all over again. If you get a Titan’s Blood from the Furies without Heat, you can get another Titan’s Blood when you beat the Furies on Heat 1, on Heat 2, etc.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Played-a-lot-spoilers
    got my 10th clear. Such a good game. That portrait is amazing.

Now for some side missions. Gotta get Achilles and Patroclus back together. Then ???

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The in game explanation of the heat rewards is not very clear...

Like, say I've never used heat. I go big and set heat to 5, get a clear. Did I just loose the chance of getting rewards for 1-4 heat because the bar is now 5 or more?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Like, say I've never used heat. I go big and set heat to 5, get a clear. Did I just loose the chance of getting rewards for 1-4 heat because the bar is now 5 or more?

no, each level for heat has its own discrete rewards, you don't "clear" the levels beneath just by doing higher heat so even if you do a 5 heat run before you do 1-4 you can go back and do the lower ones by adjusting the conditions

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

no, each level for heat has its own discrete rewards, you don't "clear" the levels beneath just by doing higher heat so even if you do a 5 heat run before you do 1-4 you can go back and do the lower ones by adjusting the conditions

Actually that's not quite correct. If you do heat 5 you will get the reward for Heat 1, then 2 and so on.

The exception is Zero heat, where only a run with no heat counts. So theoretically say you had never played the game with the fists and jumped right to heat five. You'd get the rewards for heat 1 but you'd have to do a zero heat run to get the original rewards.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

Actually that's not quite correct. If you do heat 5 you will get the reward for Heat 1, then 2 and so on.

The exception is Zero heat, where only a run with no heat counts. So theoretically say you had never played the game with the fists and jumped right to heat five. You'd get the rewards for heat 1 but you'd have to do a zero heat run to get the original rewards.

i stand corrected then, guess i never actually tested it out

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

qxmr31bhk8l8.jpg

I’ll try and give that a try, though I don’t think I have access to Extreme Measures 4. Worse comes to worse I’ll just come back and try it legit later.

And I did it! Thanks. It seems that taking off the one that cuts out boons was a huge help. Though I'll have to do a two-heat run with that one just to get the 15 Titan's blood from the Fated List.

Did just have what I think may have been my highest DPS build to date on a different run. Aspect of Eris on the Rail, three rapid fire bombs, a chaos boon to boost my attack, the short-ranged shotgun blast, Aphrodite on the Bomb, and Dionysus on the attack. Plus I had the Athena Call. So I would fire all three bombs on the target then unload and fire three more bombs while I reloaded, etc, and... uh... my three bombs were doing over 600 combined plus my shotgun blasts were doing a similar amount, not even including the poison.

• Options
    Finally cleared the game on my 20th run, and then again on my 21st.

It's interesting just how different weapons can become based on upgrades. The second clear was with the bow having the double shot and unchargable upgrades. It was a midrange spamfest.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

Once you have access to heat, there are 3 different modes you can start a run in. Each weapon's heat target begins at 1.

- Heat 0 mode is special, and tracked separately. Each weapon can get a full set of bounties from clearing a run with no heat on.
    - "Heated" mode is when you start with enough heat to meet the target. There's a new set of bounties available, one per biome. If you clear the run your heat target for that weapon goes up by 1 and the bounties reset. If you don't clear the run, all the bounties you collect remain collected, and you'll get darkness for clearing the biomes instead.
    - "Underheated" mode is when you use some heat, but not enough to meet your target. You've already collected the bounties, so the biome reward is just darkness.

You can see your current heat target and the remaining bounties for each weapon on the heat screen pretty clearly. Putting in more heat than your target won't unlock the bounties early; you have to clear the run to do that. But if you wanted to, say, practice getting used to the timings with Forced Overtime on, you could set that right from the get-go and one level would give you three new sets of bounties to collect, one clear at a time.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Last night's run 4 was my first time hitting the Elysium boss fight. I got pretty close to it several times during early access but always got killed first, so either the balancing has become much more generous since then or my practice from back then didn't go to waste and I didn't really start from nothing this time around. That run was also the best bow setup I've ever gotten into, and it wasn't even all that optimized...

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Congratulations to all the recent clears, it definitely confirms I need to get good...I think I am on run 44 or 45 and have lost to the final 4 times now over my last 7-8 runs.

I also didn't even realize there were other non-purple options in the mirror until run 35 or so which was a real face palm moment when I was chatting strategy with my brother. That has definitely helped.

swaylow on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    This story goes places.

• Options
    So for the heat stuff, is it best to beat the game with all the weapons without heat first, then turn up the heat? And are the heat levels basically for reactivating the boss rewards?

Because, man, this game requires some serious grinding if that’s the case.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So for the heat stuff, is it best to beat the game with all the weapons without heat first, then turn up the heat? And are the heat levels basically for reactivating the boss rewards?

Yah. You don't get any benefit for clearing at a higher heat than your maximum bounty.

But the grind is there for it's own sake.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Gonna repost this rewards info from earlier:

Every weapon (not aspect) will give you 1 of each of the boss rewards (blood/diamond/ambro/blood) for each heat level (you cannot claim multiple levels at once - if your last clear with fists was heat 3 and you do heat 10 next, it gives you the heat 4 rewards), that is going to be your primary generation of resources. Additional resources can come from fishing (watch for surface fish), sunken treasure boon from poseidon (very rare), and buying at a pretty crazy rate from charon (1000g for a diamond, 1200g for a blood).

Additional resources (usually a good bunch) can come from prophecies, so check those out.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Yah. You don't get any benefit for clearing at a higher heat than your maximum bounty.

But the grind is there for it's own sake.

Extreme Measures does seem to kick off several story beats, so it is worth getting those started as soon as you can.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, gameplay- and story-wise, extreme measures has given a much needed boost to those early fights after beating them so many times.

Honestly, it’s wild that all the dialogue up to the first clear is like, prologue and introduction.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Based on everything I've seen I don't think Extreme Measures is necessary to kick off boss story beats. They just go off on their own after you've encountered those characters enough.

• Options
    Based on everything I've seen I don't think Extreme Measures is necessary to kick off boss story beats. They just go off on their own after you've encountered those characters enough.

I did get a minor thing by turning off extreme measures after using it:
    Meg was thankful to have some alone time at the start of the fight.

• Options

I did get a minor thing by turning off extreme measures after using it:
    Meg was thankful to have some alone time at the start of the fight.
    That's fucking adorable.

• Options
    Turning off Extreme Measures also results in...
    Asterius being relieved he can actually like... move around.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so i hit 30 runs without clearing, and decided to turn on god mode. Finally cleared with that at 28% and am currently on a streak of 3 but just noticed that god mode doesn't reset. it's still at 28%. I was hoping it functioned like something i could wean off of with my new influx of resources. Is there not a way to reduce it naturally besides a hard switch off?

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    so i hit 30 runs without clearing, and decided to turn on god mode. Finally cleared with that at 28% and am currently on a streak of 3 but just noticed that god mode doesn't reset. it's still at 28%. I was hoping it functioned like something i could wean off of with my new influx of resources. Is there not a way to reduce it naturally besides a hard switch off?

Sadly, no, but hopefully that'll be patched in.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I had a great run going with the Spear, heading into the final few chambers before the Elysium bosses. Then things got derailed when:
    I saw a bag of 300 gold in Charon's shop. Never seeing that before, I assumed it wouldn't be good to take, but I thought, what the hell I'm doing great. Ended up losing 2 Death Defiances beating the boatman. Then came up short against Hades...who I totally would have beaten with the extra two DDs. Oh well...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzo6L3wsf8c

Did Skelly's favor.

i had a choice between Excalibur and helping skelly. I chose poorly.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I had a great run going with the Spear, heading into the final few chambers before the Elysium bosses. Then things got derailed when:
    I saw a bag of 300 gold in Charon's shop. Never seeing that before, I assumed it wouldn't be good to take, but I thought, what the hell I'm doing great. Ended up losing 2 Death Defiances beating the boatman. Then came up short against Hades...who I totally would have beaten with the extra two DDs. Oh well...
    I've only seen that once, and immediately noped out of that potential transaction. When you see that "Borrow?" text, and you know that you're in a shopkeeper's room in a roguelike, you know that you're in for a bad time. Maybe a different time, when I'm not actively working on any prophecies...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Another win, this time with the Rail. Rocket Bomb and Cluster Bomb are a fun combination at any range.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    38 runs, god mode on for a fair number of those (now up to 44% (i think?) damage reduction), gotten to the end boss with full health and three defiance charges like... 4 times now? i have the first aspect of every weapon

still haven't beaten the game

bow before my supremacy

Organichu on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I've only seen that once, and immediately noped out of that potential transaction. When you see that "Borrow?" text, and you know that you're in a shopkeeper's room in a roguelike, you know that you're in for a bad time. Maybe a different time, when I'm not actively working on any prophecies...

He's actually kind of an easy fight once you know how it works. He hits hard but all his attacks can be deflected and he's pretty predictible in his moves. Somewhere earlier in the thread there's a clip of me demolishing him in 30s - I only get hit once when I end up right in front of him and eat a point blank projectile

Honestly what cheeses me off is that the trigger for it is not reliably available. Shops are questionable value during a run already, not being able to take the really good reward reliably screws with routing - and not even in an interesting way

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I should have mentioned that I had no forms of Deflection. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    swaylow wrote: »
    Congratulations to all the recent clears, it definitely confirms I need to get good...I think I am on run 44 or 45 and have lost to the final 4 times now over my last 7-8 runs.

I also didn't even realize there were other non-purple options in the mirror until run 35 or so which was a real face palm moment when I was chatting strategy with my brother. That has definitely helped.

Turns out I should have complained earlier. My next run, #46, was my first full clear!

Shield with Ares doom damage on special + 2 or 3 doom modifiers, Athena deflect dash and deflect attack, Dread Flight Daedelus upgrade on special, Dionysys damage reduction and full fountain restore, Poisedon call and auto increase on call meter. I was feeling pretty damn invicible by the last fight but still took it very conservatively.

Feels good and belatedly starting to find some complementary patterns with boon selection. The game seems to really reward your knowledge (or luck) of what boons work well together which is a subtle but impressive trick in my opinion.

• Options
    OK, quick question. Is anyone else having a drift problem in the menus? Whenever I got to look at my Boons or Codex stuff, occasionally the curser will just get stuck scrolling down. I thought I had a drift problem, but the issue doesn't occur when I play the main game. It's only the menu stuff.

Now it could very well be a hardware issue (I've had the joy-cons since launch without issue), but I wanted to see if anyone else was having a similar problem before I go down the repair rabbit hole.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page