As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any Parents have advice for Fortnite

ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
Are there any parents out there going crazy with their kids while trying to work from home and juggle everything? My son, who is 8, has recently started playing Fortnite on his switch. I don't love the part where there are other people around, but it was fairly harmless since he couldn't chat with anyone and had no microphone. It kept him happy while my wife tried to work from home.

Even better, some friends from school play too and he has grouped up with them which is great, giving him some social contact. I am excited for him to spend some time playing with his friends in this crazy quarantine world. However, now he wants a microphone so he can talk with them in group. In a perfect world, I would be all for it. But I am concerned about him being exposed to randos on the internet.

I adjusted his settings to "Party Chat" whatever that means. I did not turn on "push to talk" since he has no keyboard and can't push anything to talk? The swear word filters are all on. However, he has a bunch of non-real world friends in his friend list, so I'm not sure the "party chat" will mean much if he is partying up with randos. Even if I clear out his list, his friends will have the same issue and randos will still end up in his group from time to time.

I have never played the game, and I can't play with him all the time. I can make him play in the same room as my wife when she is home working so she can try to hear the conversation? We talked to the other kids parents and that's their solution. But honestly, my wife is working and can't pay attention 100% of the time. I am working in the office, so I can't help on that front.

My wife & I really want to let him do this so he can get some social time, but once I start Its going to be difficult to monitor effectively. He is a good kid and we have good communication. But I just don't have any experience with this game. I don't care about F-Bombs and stuff. Am I overthinking this? Anyone have any experience here?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    How about using a communication system outside the game? My kid plays games only with 1 or 2 friends so we use FaceTime. But there are probably other solutions.

Also it is probably time for a serious talk about creeps on the internet and how to talk to you to clear up problems without fearing that you will ban him from the game.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    You could try Discord on a second device but that wouldn't really solve the learning to self filter the internet thing and his friends may not have access to a second device and he will just end up left out.

He's 8 though, so you shouldn't feel bad about listening in. If you get a mic, make him use the TV speakers for audio out and chat so when one of his friends starts making homophobic jokes or something you can sort it out.

• Options
    Thanks @CelestialBadger We had been using a Kids Messenger app that is connected through my wife's Facebook account. That had worked initially when he had 1 friend. However, now that he has 3 friends from school playing, its not working as well. Some of the other kids don't have the app. So, my kid is the odd man out not having the headset to play Fortnite.

We have had the talk about strangers and internet creeps a few times, but it does not seem to be landing with him. He nods along, but i think he does not believe that creeps exist for real and that his parents are just making a big deal out of nothing.

That's an interesting suggestion about the Audio Out @dispatch.o , ill have to see how that works. I don't feel bad listening in, like you said he is 8. The jokes in bad taste are not as worrisome to me as some creep trying to lure him away. Maybe my priorities are out of line though and there are far fewer creeps and way more bad jokes that could get repeated later in school!?

I also wonder if the type of game, with new matches starting every few minutes, reduces the chance for long term contact from some rando?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    One of my kids plays fortnite but for some complicated technical reason relating to how one of his friend's audio works, they have no in-game chat, they do all the talking through Discord, and just in-game audio in Fortnite. I don't understand the details but I think this keeps the voice stuff isolated to just the group of friends, but he can still hear the game explosions / whatever.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    My nephews have a discord server spun up for their friends, its invite only and the parents are in it to monitor. Still, One figured how to spin up another away from the parents, because it turns out if you can read and click buttons, its pretty easy to do. This a good reason to keep the gaming in a public-ish space, particularly if your kids a bit precocious.

• Options
    thanks @ikura @ @djmitchella I agree that keeping the kids in a public place are better. That should be no problem. I don't think we would be able to use a Discord Server as the headsets are working for my kids friends, they are not all going to jump on a new method to accommodate us.

Does anyone have experience playing the game with a headset and can speak to what the atmosphere is like?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    It probably speaks a ton to the demographics of the forum, but we have a not very active fortnite thread you could cross-ask in: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/212670/fortnite-sprint-forever/p45

• Options
    Thanks @ikura , i did not see that. I will parse that for info! Thanks everyone.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I probably wouldnt worry about it too much on the switch. A lot of the ragers are going to be on pc,xbox, or playstation. I feel like most peoplw on the switch are more chill or younger.

• Options
    Thanks @Enigmedic! We tried it last night and it worked out well. Turns out you can only hear the people in your party/group. I was worried that he would be able to hear any or all of the other 100 people in the match? But that was not the case, so its working out pretty good on the first night. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!